• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Character General Support Thread [WIP]

What is the best Fire Emblem game for someone new to the series?

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem/Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

• Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

• Fire Emblem Awakening

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Fire Emblem Fates

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem Heroes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Well it doesn't look like there is a support thread to unite the different Fire Emblem character supporters yet so I'll go ahead and make one. Come here to talk about which characters from Fire Emblem should get into Smash and spread the word!

NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT RULE!!!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, since we will be gathering fans of several different characters here it is important that we acknowledge that we are all Fire Emblem/Smash fans first and avoid belittling or harassing fans of other characters. While this is especially important for other Fire Emblem characters we will extend that to all other characters. If you wouldn't like it said about your favorite character don't say it about someone else.

LIST OF CURRENT FIRE EMBLEM SUPPORT THREADS
Previous Polls
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem/Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade) Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Fire Emblem Awakening Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Fire Emblem Fates Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem Heroes Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Votes: 4 6.7%
[This is currently a work in progress and I will update it as I go]
[Someone tell me what kind of things I should put here lol]

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
To kick things off I'll past the discussion that was started by that other thread before it was deleted here.

"I thought I had said this before in another thread but I can't find it so I'll just re-write it out here.

First off I personally don't think we need to "round out" the weapon triangle in Smash or anything like that. The thing to remember is that what weapon you're using matters a lot less than how you're using it. For example if Hector were to get in he would probably fight similar to Ike with slow, heavy swings in wide arcs because Ike already fights one-handed with a heavy blade. Ephraim on the other hand would probably be a lot closer to Corrin than people realize because she uses her partial transformations to make a lot of reaching stab moves like you would use with a spear.

To that end here is how I would "fix" the Fire Emblem representation in Smash. First off I'll be doing this assuming echos have echo slots and all other characters took a unique character slot. The biggest issue with Fire Emblem in Smash is the fact that 4 out of 7 of the characters use movesets that are very similar. In order to fix that I would remove the main "cause" of this, Roy. Roy got back in just because he was in melee otherwise his game hasn't even had a release in the West while aslo having one of the worst sales in the series and is clogging up a unique slot with a semi-clone moveset. If I was removing Roy, Chrom would go as well. Instead I would add Lyn as a unique fighter who is both popular and represents Fire Emblem's transition to the West, and Black Knight as an Ike echo due to them having similar fighting styles and Black Knight being a memorable villain for a series currently lacking one. Since I removed an AT I would add Xander & Ryoma as an AT where they would come out and "clash" across the battlefield catching anyone nearby in the blows."

It was in context of deleting current FE fighters for Hector/Ephraim.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I also agree that rounding out the weapon triangle for excuses as fighters isn't a good idea. That m=would mean determining a fighter purely on whatever weapon they hold in their hand.

What would I do?
First of all I'd gut everyone except for Marth and Robin, done. The thee Marth clones should go, Corrin was an advertisement fighter, and Ike is no different than Marth save having slower moves and some different specials (the aesthetic of being a blue haired white sword wielding anime FE fighter taken into account. Ike, in that sense, is basically the same as Marth, especially considering they both only attack with their sword in 99% of their moves).

I'd replace Roy with Lyn(dis) for better representation of the game and an actual decent heroine from the series (Robin and Corrin being only alts and Lucina being filler). I'd probably add Celica too since she's really popular and will most likely stay popular. I'd add Grima as a Ridley-style inclusion to be the villain of the series.

That's five fighters which personally I feel like is definitely enough. If I had to include one more it would be a pokemon-style rotating spot that would go to whoever is the next most popular character at the time, and then at that point six FE fighters is more than enough (unless of course if this is a huge roster with lots of fighters in every series, in which I would have no reservations).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
and Ike is no different than Marth save having slower moves and some different specials (the aesthetic of being a blue haired white sword wielding anime FE fighter taken into account. Ike, in that sense, is basically the same as Marth, especially considering they both only attack with their sword in 99% of their moves).
Well considering Ike is leaps and bounds the most popular character in Fire Emblem if it came down to one or the other then Marth would probably get cut lol.

I'd add Grima as a Ridley-style inclusion to be the villain of the series.
Ehh...
I mean after all the jokes of Ridley being too big, the final fight in Awakening has the entire battlefield take place on Grima's back. Unless they did like FEH did and had a Grima possessed Robin I just don't see him as a viable pick and a possessed Robin would probably just be too confusing.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well considering Ike is leaps and bounds the most popular character in Fire Emblem if it came down to one or the other then Marth would probably get cut lol.

Ehh...
I mean after all the jokes of Ridley being too big, the final fight in Awakening has the entire battlefield take place on Grima's back. Unless they did like FEH did and had a Grima possessed Robin I just don't see him as a viable pick and a possessed Robin would probably just be too confusing.
*Yeah I knew that about wakening I just have weird hopes.

OK fine, Grima as a boss. I just want villain representation from the series.

Marth is simply he figurehead of FE, he kind of has that immunity most main character have. But If I wanted a villain, Black Knight could work even without Ike as a fighter. Unless there's another more interesting villain from FE (and has aspects we haven't already seen).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
*Yeah I knew that about wakening I just have weird hopes.

OK fine, Grima as a boss. I just want villain representation from the series.

Marth is simply he figurehead of FE, he kind of has that immunity most main character have. But If I wanted a villain, Black Knight could work even without Ike as a fighter. Unless there's another more interesting villain from FE (and has aspects we haven't already seen).
I mean Garon could be cool as a heavy ax fighter with partial transformations similar to Corrin.

Other than that there are a bunch of dark mage villains who could represent something new with a pure mage moveset.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So concerning this thread, what are some other things people would like to see in the first post?

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Personally I always thought the ideal Fire Emblem roster for Smash was Marth, Hector, Robin, Azura and Anna. Each one of them are distinct from each other and would bring a unique moveset to the table. Marth and Anna are practically the mascots for the franchise while Hector, Robin and Azura, while they are not protagonists, they are all the second most important character in their home game and popular characters in their own right. Plus they all represent different eras of the franchise very nicely I believe. Marth for the NES/SNES days and being Japan's OG FE hero, Hector for GBA era and being the form the game first released outside Japan, Robin and Azura for 3DS era and for the people who got brought into the series during the new tens and Anna who is basically in all the games except Gaiden/Echoes.

Marth and Robin are the only characters who in my opinion should stick around. Marth is the OG Lord of the franchise and is probably the only sword wielding FE that needs to stay and as far as Smash is concerned since he is the face of the franchise (he is the only FE character to show up in WOL cutscenes after all). Robin is the other character current in Smash that I see who should really stay. He brings many gameplay mechanics from Fire Emblem to smash through tomes, weapon durability and Avatar/My Unit creation.

For the others Hector just seems to be a likable character that hardly nobody seems to dislike. Also, how cool would it be if one of his attacks was swinging his axe out with a chain attached to it like in the General class does in the GBA games? Azura I believe is still a better choice to represent Fates than Corrin since she is more popular than them (if CYL is to be believed) plus if I heard correctly in Japan she is considered just as much as the protagonist of the game as Corrin plus along with her lance she would bring water and singing powers into her moveset. And finally there is Anna who is just as much of a mascot to FE as Marth and I always found her exclusion from a game about mascots fighting each other weird. I always found Anna's moveset revolving around using all the weapon types from Fire Emblem since she has used the majority of the weapon types since being a unit starting from Awakening.

Honestly my biggest issue with FE reps in smash is that they are all Lords sans Robin which leads to them all wielding swords and looking too similar to each other which while normally I wouldn't have a problem with it the real problem lies in four of them (five if you want to include Ike because even his moveset is somewhat derived from Marth's moveset) all share the same moveset when more people want to see variety. It would have been better if Chrom brought in a new sword moveset and have Lucina be his echo fighter. But really there are non-lord characters in Fire Emblem that are just as important or iconic to the series besides Lords that I feel would do a good job representing Fire Emblem in Smash.

At least with the five characters I noted they all represent different classes from their home series. Marth represents Lords, Hector while he is lord would still be a good stand in for the Knight/General line, Robin would represent Tactician/Mages/Avatars, Azura represents the Dancer classes and Anna represent Merchant/Thieves.

Other characters I would be down for are Celica who despite using a sword and magic like Robin would fight vastly differently from them and would be cool to see how Echoes gameplay mechanics get translated into Smash Bros. There is Tiki as well but I feel her role as an assist trophy works well enough for her. Also would like to see a mounted unit like Caeda on a Pegasus be playable just to see how they would do it but that also might be best off as an assist trophy role. Depending how Three Houses turns out Edelgard might have been or could be a good choice to represent Fire Emblem though I am still reserving judgment on her. I suppose there is also Lyn to consider and she would probably bring a new kind of sword moveset with her but I didn't list her above because I already listed Hector down as the GBA rep plus he is more relevant to Blazing Blade and also I am biased against her.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Personally I always thought the ideal Fire Emblem roster for Smash was Marth, Hector, Robin, Azura and Anna. Each one of them are distinct from each other and would bring a unique moveset to the table. Marth and Anna are practically the mascots for the franchise while Hector, Robin and Azura, while they are not protagonists, they are all the second most important character in their home game and popular characters in their own right. Plus they all represent different eras of the franchise very nicely I believe. Marth for the NES/SNES days and being Japan's OG FE hero, Hector for GBA era and being the form the game first released outside Japan, Robin and Azura for 3DS era and for the people who got brought into the series during the new tens and Anna who is basically in all the games except Gaiden/Echoes.

Marth and Robin are the only characters who in my opinion should stick around. Marth is the OG Lord of the franchise and is probably the only sword wielding FE that needs to stay and as far as Smash is concerned since he is the face of the franchise (he is the only FE character to show up in WOL cutscenes after all). Robin is the other character current in Smash that I see who should really stay. He brings many gameplay mechanics from Fire Emblem to smash through tomes, weapon durability and Avatar/My Unit creation.

For the others Hector just seems to be a likable character that hardly nobody seems to dislike. Also, how cool would it be if one of his attacks was swinging his axe out with a chain attached to it like in the General class does in the GBA games? Azura I believe is still a better choice to represent Fates than Corrin since she is more popular than them (if CYL is to be believed) plus if I heard correctly in Japan she is considered just as much as the protagonist of the game as Corrin plus along with her lance she would bring water and singing powers into her moveset. And finally there is Anna who is just as much of a mascot to FE as Marth and I always found her exclusion from a game about mascots fighting each other weird. I always found Anna's moveset revolving around using all the weapon types from Fire Emblem since she has used the majority of the weapon types since being a unit starting from Awakening.

Honestly my biggest issue with FE reps in smash is that they are all Lords sans Robin which leads to them all wielding swords and looking too similar to each other which while normally I wouldn't have a problem with it the real problem lies in four of them (five if you want to include Ike because even his moveset is somewhat derived from Marth's moveset) all share the same moveset when more people want to see variety. It would have been better if Chrom brought in a new sword moveset and have Lucina be his echo fighter. But really there are non-lord characters in Fire Emblem that are just as important or iconic to the series besides Lords that I feel would do a good job representing Fire Emblem in Smash.

At least with the five characters I noted they all represent different classes from their home series. Marth represents Lords, Hector while he is lord would still be a good stand in for the Knight/General line, Robin would represent Tactician/Mages/Avatars, Azura represents the Dancer classes and Anna represent Merchant/Thieves.

Other characters I would be down for are Celica who despite using a sword and magic like Robin would fight vastly differently from them and would be cool to see how Echoes gameplay mechanics get translated into Smash Bros. There is Tiki as well but I feel her role as an assist trophy works well enough for her. Also would like to see a mounted unit like Caeda on a Pegasus be playable just to see how they would do it but that also might be best off as an assist trophy role. Depending how Three Houses turns out Edelgard might have been or could be a good choice to represent Fire Emblem though I am still reserving judgment on her. I suppose there is also Lyn to consider and she would probably bring a new kind of sword moveset with her but I didn't list her above because I already listed Hector down as the GBA rep plus he is more relevant to Blazing Blade and also I am biased against her.
While I agree with your reasons for the characters you want I just don't understand what you are saying about Ike being like Marth. The only move you could say is like Marth is the counter, which then you're suggesting that Little Mac also fights like Marth...

I've always felt that Marth, Ike, and Robin would be the core three FE reps no matter what going forward because of both their popularity and their unique movesets.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Oh shoot I forgot about Anna.

Uhhh

Maybe she'll be the rotating spot....??

Also, any predictions on when FE fest part 2 is gonna happen? I'm really hoping for some exclusive spirits.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
While I agree with your reasons for the characters you want I just don't understand what you are saying about Ike being like Marth. The only move you could say is like Marth is the counter, which then you're suggesting that Little Mac also fights like Marth...

I've always felt that Marth, Ike, and Robin would be the core three FE reps no matter what going forward because of both their popularity and their unique movesets.
Ack, wasn't really thinking when I wrote my post since it was late at night when I wrote but I will amend my comment about Ike being similar to Marth. But I still think Ike could be a hit or miss. His popularity and his heavy blade moveset might be enough to warrant his return but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if Ike was absent for whatever reason.

Also, any predictions on when FE fest part 2 is gonna happen? I'm really hoping for some exclusive spirits.
They never did announce a specific date for that did they? Though if I had to guess maybe around the time Three Houses releases and they could have exclusive spirits of the main characters from that game.

ColinKasper

Smash Rookie
NNID
HardcoreHero
Switch FC
SW-7839-9040-1316
A main character from 3 houses is a no-brainer imo with them always advertising the main characters of FE series around every Smash game.
Roy for Melee, Ike for Brawl, Robin/ Lucina and Corrin as DLC when his/ her game released for Sm4sh . . . it just makes sense.

I understand awakening saving the franchise in NA & all however do not think they should have added Chrom as Robin & Lucina both already rep that title.

I totally agree with adding Hector OR Lyndis, Ephraim, Celica, & Black Knight as an Ike clone/ villain rep. Having Eirika or Alm would be nice too however underwhelming if they made it over their fellow protagonists or both.

Some other highly liked characters are Azura, Takumi and Camilla I think. Takumi mostly bow-oriented would be a lot different than Link and Camilla would be unique as a similar-to-Ridley/ Fire Emblem axe character although adding any of them would create one-too-many Fates characters though (however that seems to be the trend).

Ashnard would be a cool FE villian however outdated and not as popular as Black Knight.
Zelgius would also be a cool alternate costume for Black Knight.
Maybe the main villain of 3 houses would be a worthy dlc addition instead of the main character to advertise that title.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If I had to rank the order of FE characters I'd like to see make it to playable status it'd probably go something like this:

Celica > Lyn > Edelgard > Hector > Alm > Fjorm > Micaiah > Black Knight > Anna > Tiki > Azura

These are the only FE characters I can think of from the top of my head that I'd be excited to see (also Reina but she's a guilty pleasure pick). In regards to Three Houses I really don't want to see Byleth get in because he just seems so bland both design-wise and moveset-wise compared to Edelgard.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If I had to rank the order of FE characters I'd like to see make it to playable status it'd probably go something like this:

Celica > Lyn > Edelgard > Hector > Alm > Fjorm > Micaiah > Black Knight > Anna > Tiki > Azura

These are the only FE characters I can think of from the top of my head that I'd be excited to see (also Reina but she's a guilty pleasure pick). In regards to Three Houses I really don't want to see Byleth get in because he just seems so bland both design-wise and moveset-wise compared to Edelgard.
I think I would have mine go,

Black Knight[Ike echo] > Lyn > Anna > Tiki > Owain/Odin[Robin echo] > Garon > Edelgard > Hector

Azura was on my list for a while but with the introduction of Mipha in BotW I think she would make more sense as a water based spear user.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
If I had my way with the Fire Emblem Roster selection, it would be none of them because Fire Emblem ruins everything it touches and the dirty, nuckledragging weebs that play it. like the following.

Returns: Marth (He's the Mario of Fire Emblem), Ike (He's objectively one of the most popular FE characters), and Robin (Awakening is one of the most popular Fire Emblem games and Robin is a unique FE character in terms of play-style).

Cuts: Chrom (His meme can only carry his appeal for so long), Roy (Always good for a DLC spot every now and then), and Corrin (They're place was as an advertisement for a game that has been out for years now).

Maybe Cuts: Lucina (Good to keep around if they wanted to for the return of Echo Fighters)

Newcomer(s): Lyndis (Big Personal Bias and very popular with the western fanbase), Edelgard (New game coming out and has an Axe, always nice to see Axes).

No matter whom gets cut, whom stays, or who gets added to Ultimate, it's clear that Fire Emblem will be getting a smaller amount of fighters in the next installment (if there is one).

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I mean, real talk? I never got the hype around Lyn. I don't dislike her, mind, and I genuinely think she'd be an interesting character (perhaps the most interesting) to play against in Smash but-she's...kind of the least-interesting of the trio in FE7.

By stats and utility, she is the worst of the three. She is lacking in Hector's survivability and power, and unable to perform the utility role that Eliwood can when he promotes (It helps to be a Cavalier on Steroids...with a sword as big as your horse...FE7 is weird). As a promoted unit herself, she is largely inferior to the Swordmaster class which she draws from, given that she lacks the innate crit bonus...and, really: bows? Bows suck in FE7.

Her story mode is a glorified (but very good) Tutorial that is great at introducing newcomers to Fire Emblem. After the tutorial is done (and after it introduces us to Eliwood), Lyn's presence throughout the rest of the story is inconsequential; Caelin is a pit stop on the way to the Dread Isle...and she just...pops up every now and then for someone to say 'Oh, Lyn? Yeah, she's here. Then someone ends up saying she's pretty but that's about it; this is Eliwood's Story...but also Hector's (Hector's is arguably the better one). Also Athos gives her a knockoff Legendary weapon at the end of the game. Maybe she's the mother of Roy or Lilina, but- otherwise? She have a presence in FE6, and all of her non-canon appearance have her either talk about her friends Eliwood or Hector (Maybe Florina on a good day), or has her claim that you and/or Robin is her Tactician friend...AKA you.

At least she's not Corrin. I can tolerate every other character on the roster (Ike, Robin, Four Shades of Marth), but Corrin is...well- the only good thing about them (period) to me is that they don't play like a Marth.

------------

My Personal FE Picks would have to be:

Eliwood (but, believe me, I have a lot of problems making Eliwood my number one despite him being my favorite) - Hector - Ephraim - Black Knight - Lyn

I'd prefer everyone (But Corrin) staying, but if we did receive cuts? Chrom...and Corrin. A perfect world would see Roy replaced with Eliwood, but let's get rid of Roy as well I suppose.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Speaking of Lyn and the Black Knight.

Of the current three Assist Trophy Characters (Lyndis, Black Knight, and Adult Tiki) which of the current three do we think as the highest possibility of being upgraded from an Assist Trophy to a Playable Character and which would you personally want to be upgraded?

Personally, I think the ones with the highest possibility of being upgraded are Lyndis and Tiki. I don't think I need to give another big Lyn post so I'll just talk about Tiki. She's both a legacy Fire Emblem character, recognizable to newer fans through her appearance in Awakening, and can provide a unique moveset through her Dragon Transformations. A bit like Corrin but with more Fire than Sword and Water moves.

Black Knight is in a bit of an odd place. He might become an Echo of Ike or his own slower, heavier off-shot of Ike's moveset like Ganondorf was for Captain Falcon.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Of the current three Assist Trophy Characters (Lyndis, Black Knight, and Adult Tiki) which of the current three do we think as the highest possibility of being upgraded from an Assist Trophy to a Playable Character and which would you personally want to be upgraded?
Lyn without a doubt as she's the most popular of the three followed by Black Knight. I don't see adult Tiki happening since we already have three Awakening reps and kid Tiki would have to compete with Caeda as a FE1/FE3 rep. My want order of the three is Lyn > Black Knight > Tiki.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Speaking of Lyn and the Black Knight.

Personally, I think the ones with the highest possibility of being upgraded are Lyndis and Tiki. I don't think I need to give another big Lyn post so I'll just talk about Tiki. She's both a legacy Fire Emblem character, recognizable to newer fans through her appearance in Awakening, and can provide a unique moveset through her Dragon Transformations. A bit like Corrin but with more Fire than Sword and Water moves.

Black Knight is in a bit of an odd place. He might become an Echo of Ike or his own slower, heavier off-shot of Ike's moveset like Ganondorf was for Captain Falcon.
From a business standpoint, the no brainer would be obviously Lyndis. Both Nintendo and Int Sys know about her popularity and if they wanted a character to appeal to that popularity, she'd be the first choice.

However, from a technical standpoint, adding BK as the Ike echo would be the easiest, the only issue would be how that's not how he fights at all (though canon is usually disregarded anyways) and his design makes those animations difficult with the theoretical clipping armor and cloth pieces.

From a "lolsakurai" standpoint, I could see Tiki making the cut with her "unique" and "interesting" moveset. Though this one I doubt the most due to the difficulties of a transformation character, especially one the size of Tiki's dragon form. Not to mention the numerous amount of jank and bugs that would probably entail.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
From a "lolsakurai" standpoint, I could see Tiki making the cut with her "unique" and "interesting" moveset. Though this one I doubt the most due to the difficulties of a transformation character, especially one the size-
INB4 Ridley Size Jokes.

Lorewise, BK being an echo of Ike would be sound logic...though BK would also be an Echo the way that Ken is to Ryu: Substantial differences in properties, attacks, animations, et cetera. This is, both by design and lore, the logical approach.

However, I still think Lyn is the most popular and would be the most interesting as she'd be a type of Swordfighter we don't really have....but I'm a sucker for Knights, so my order would be BK <- Lyn <- Tiki.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean, real talk? I never got the hype around Lyn. I don't dislike her, mind, and I genuinely think she'd be an interesting character (perhaps the most interesting) to play against in Smash but-she's...kind of the least-interesting of the trio in FE7.

By stats and utility, she is the worst of the three. She is lacking in Hector's survivability and power, and unable to perform the utility role that Eliwood can when he promotes (It helps to be a Cavalier on Steroids...with a sword as big as your horse...FE7 is weird). As a promoted unit herself, she is largely inferior to the Swordmaster class which she draws from, given that she lacks the innate crit bonus...and, really: bows? Bows suck in FE7.

Her story mode is a glorified (but very good) Tutorial that is great at introducing newcomers to Fire Emblem. After the tutorial is done (and after it introduces us to Eliwood), Lyn's presence throughout the rest of the story is inconsequential; Caelin is a pit stop on the way to the Dread Isle...and she just...pops up every now and then for someone to say 'Oh, Lyn? Yeah, she's here. Then someone ends up saying she's pretty but that's about it; this is Eliwood's Story...but also Hector's (Hector's is arguably the better one). Also Athos gives her a knockoff Legendary weapon at the end of the game. Maybe she's the mother of Roy or Lilina, but- otherwise? She have a presence in FE6, and all of her non-canon appearance have her either talk about her friends Eliwood or Hector (Maybe Florina on a good day), or has her claim that you and/or Robin is her Tactician friend...AKA you.

At least she's not Corrin. I can tolerate every other character on the roster (Ike, Robin, Four Shades of Marth), but Corrin is...well- the only good thing about them (period) to me is that they don't play like a Marth.

------------

My Personal FE Picks would have to be:

Eliwood (but, believe me, I have a lot of problems making Eliwood my number one despite him being my favorite) - Hector - Ephraim - Black Knight - Lyn

I'd prefer everyone (But Corrin) staying, but if we did receive cuts? Chrom...and Corrin. A perfect world would see Roy replaced with Eliwood, but let's get rid of Roy as well I suppose.
Okay so here are a bunch of reasons I think people like Lyn, in no particular order.
  • For most western fans she is the very first lord they will have every played as
  • She has a special and unique relationship with the self-insert tactician which people connect with
  • She has cool animations
  • Her personality is basically girl Ike, she has no interest in nobility or ruling and fights for her friends without being a "meathead" who is always looking for a fight
  • Waifu, with the exception of Ike girls are more well liked per the CYL votes.
If I had to guess most Lyn fans would say that at least 3 of these things apply as to why they are a fan of hers.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
If i choose the smash Fire Emblem roster i would cut. Roy, Chrom, Lucina and Corrin. Roy is another Marth, same Chrom, same Lucina, Corrin is from one of the more hated games and is pretty bland.

I would add Takumi, Celcia and Hector. Takumi is an Archer, he would be a zoner and the Arrow and Bow would be the center of his moveset. Celcia would be like a more balanced version of Pichu's gimic becuase of the nature of her magic and has more magic empasiss and Hector could be an easy Ike echo

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like the current FE roster and wouldn't want anyone replaced.

If we're talking additions though, I'd love Micaiah or Azura. I think Micaiah would work fine as a more archetypal mage character, unlike Robin who has more of a focus on micromanagement. Making her an echo of Robin wouldn't really work since she doesn't use swords in her game and she mainly uses light magic. I can't think of any other mage-like character in Smash outside of Robin, so just having a regular mage without any gimmicks attached would be cool.

Azura stands out among other lances in the series because she's also a dancer who manipulates water. You can probably do something neat and unique with that. Maybe she'd have a dance/sing move that provides buffs to herself, or other allies in team battles as a Smash Bros. interpretation of how dancers work in the games, perhaps even providing a bit of healing as a nod to her personal in Fates, Healing Descant. Maybe she'd focus a lot more on poking from afar with very long attacks that'd put the rest of the FE crew to shame to make approaching her tricky because she'd probably be as squishy as squishy can get. Basically, a more defensive character compared to her colleagues.

You can do quite a few things with Azura, she'd be neato. Plus, Corrin is lonely.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If i choose the smash Fire Emblem roster i would cut. Roy, Chrom, Lucina and Corrin. Roy is another Marth, same Chrom, same Lucina, Corrin is from one of the more hated games and is pretty bland.

I would add Takumi, Celcia and Hector. Takumi is an Archer, he would be a zoner and the Arrow and Bow would be the center of his moveset. Celcia would be like a more balanced version of Pichu's gimic becuase of the nature of her magic and has more magic empasiss and Hector could be an easy Ike echo
I mean if you're removing Corrin because shes from Fates then don't pick an archer who is also from Fates lol pick Shinon or Innes

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like the current FE roster and wouldn't want anyone replaced.

If we're talking additions though, I'd love Micaiah or Azura. I think Micaiah would work fine as a more archetypal mage character, unlike Robin who has more of a focus on micromanagement. Making her an echo of Robin wouldn't really work since she doesn't use swords in her game and she mainly uses light magic. I can't think of any other mage-like character in Smash outside of Robin, so just having a regular mage without any gimmicks attached would be cool.

Azura stands out among other lances in the series because she's also a dancer who manipulates water. You can probably do something neat and unique with that. Maybe she'd have a dance/sing move that provides buffs to herself, or other allies in team battles as a Smash Bros. interpretation of how dancers work in the games, perhaps even providing a bit of healing as a nod to her personal in Fates, Healing Descant. Maybe she'd focus a lot more on poking from afar with very long attacks that'd put the rest of the FE crew to shame to make approaching her tricky because she'd probably be as squishy as squishy can get. Basically, a more defensive character compared to her colleagues.

You can do quite a few things with Azura, she'd be neato. Plus, Corrin is lonely.
I think a lot of the removal talk stems from the fact that Sakurai said he felt there were too many Fire Emblem fighters, so people think the only way we could get anyone different would be to cut someone else. I agree that I'd love for everyone to stay and then get more, I just don't know if I see that happening.

That said when I was thinking about who would be added from Fire Emblem before the roster was revealed I thought for sure Azura was the best pick, she would be undoubtedly cool.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Everyone always talks about how FE is so well represented that it's even too well represented, but honestly it's a case of quantity over quality. We have a ton of fighters but the roster is so boring.

I agree that Marth, Ike, and Robin are the core 3 that should never be cut. Marth and Robin represent important eras of FE and Ike has consistently proven himself as the most popular FE character.

With Roy, it's a case of hindsight. He wasn't the best pick to be Marth's clone as his game is relatively less iconic (though it's one of my favourites). Sigurd or Seliph would've been a better pick if Marth had to have a clone. And Lyn is a much better pick from the GBA games, or even Hector, given their popularity, and they would also represent an important era of FE.

With Lucina, it would've been better to make her unique, as there was already a Marth-inspired character, and we didn't need more. Chrom makes this problem even worse, and to top it off we didn't need 3 Awakening characters. The echo in Ultimate really should've been Celica.

And then Corrin, it's more of a personal thing but I think most people would agree, given how lukewarm their reveal was, but Azura would've been so much better as a Fates rep. Not only does she completely lack a sword, but she stands out much more among the other characters in Smash.

Given everything, something they could've done in Smash 4 is add Robin in the base roster and Lucina as a semi-clone (so she takes Roy's role pretty much), Azura as a unique DLC character, then for Ultimate Lyn as a newcomer and Roy and Celica as echoes.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Everyone always talks about how FE is so well represented that it's even too well represented, but honestly it's a case of quantity over quality. We have a ton of fighters but the roster is so boring.

I agree that Marth, Ike, and Robin are the core 3 that should never be cut. Marth and Robin represent important eras of FE and Ike has consistently proven himself as the most popular FE character.

With Roy, it's a case of hindsight. He wasn't the best pick to be Marth's clone as his game is relatively less iconic (though it's one of my favourites). Sigurd or Seliph would've been a better pick if Marth had to have a clone. And Lyn is a much better pick from the GBA games, or even Hector, given their popularity, and they would also represent an important era of FE.

With Lucina, it would've been better to make her unique, as there was already a Marth-inspired character, and we didn't need more. Chrom makes this problem even worse, and to top it off we didn't need 3 Awakening characters. The echo in Ultimate really should've been Celica.

And then Corrin, it's more of a personal thing but I think most people would agree, given how lukewarm their reveal was, but Azura would've been so much better as a Fates rep. Not only does she completely lack a sword, but she stands out much more among the other characters in Smash.

Given everything, something they could've done in Smash 4 is add Robin in the base roster and Lucina as a semi-clone (so she takes Roy's role pretty much), Azura as a unique DLC character, then for Ultimate Lyn as a newcomer and Roy and Celica as echoes.
lol I was getting major deja vu reading this until I realized I had just replied to you in the Isaac thread about this same thing, so I'll go ahead and put that here first.
Lucina over Lyn is because she can be an echo and Lyn can't
Corrin over Azura is one I could give you, but despite what IS says Corrin is clearly the main character over Azura and if they were trying to make that not the case they failed there
Chrom is again an echo, and frankly way more popular than Celica would have been during the planning phase of Smash when SoV wasn't even out yet.
Beyond that though I think you bring up some good points, the Marth-centric aspect of the FE cast is 100% the cause of our current status with the community and any attempt to "fix" the roster has to start there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
SMH at all y'all calling for Chrom's head.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Just found this thread

Most of what I'll say here is just a rehash of what I've said in other threads, but I don't think the FE roster is as horrible as many make it out to be. The main omission that I'd like rectified is Lyn. In terms of cuts, I'd give Chrom the boot because Awakening doesn't need three characters. It was an incredibly important game for the series (although not my favorite, but I'm gonna try to put most bias aside here), but two characters is fine for it, especially when there's a lot of other places where that Echo slot could go. A lot of people here have said that Marth, Ike, and Robin are kind of like the core three, and I'd agree that they would be the top three in priority for a hypothetical Smash 6 in terms of FE, but I would add Lyn to make it the core four. Lyn is pretty much the most popular female FE character and is incredibly well liked on both sides of the sea. Plus she does a great job of representing FE's move to the West, arguably much better than Roy. I know, she uses a sword, but I don't really mind that since she could be plenty unique; she also has a bow that she can bring along for a few moves if people really want a new weapon type. Lyn is also one of my top requests for Smash, but even putting that aside I think that she's the best choice for a FE newcomer.

Here's my FE roster of choice, in order of priority with Marth being the first pick:
Marth
Ike
Robin
Lyn
Roy (you could put Leif here if you really like him and/or Jugdral I guess)
*one more character*

Lucina (listed separately as she's an Echo)

The "one more character" is an incredibly close call for me if we get one. I'd be okay if they kept Corrin as he's a transformation character and Fates was an important enough game to Nintendo (even if I personally didn't really care for a lot of it). I'd prefer Azura if we have someone from Fates, though. Among the other good choices are Sigurd, Tiki, Ephraim, and Hector. Black Knight and Anna are worth mentioning but I probably wouldn't choose them. Choosing one of these is pretty hard, but if you made me pick right now I think that if they could manage to make Sigurd work it'd be awesome. Otherwise (and I can see the difficulty of implementing Sigurd's mount), then I'd take Azura I suppose.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
I often feel like Fire Emblem met an unfortunate fate in terms of it's character roster with it being mostly Marth copies and promotions. (Though one might argue that Zelda met a worse fate; twenty years of the big bad being a Falcon clone, and now we have three Links that all use bombs, arrows, a boomerang and spin attack despite the fact that they could each offer something quite fun and unique... make it stop!) At this point, we are where we are and cutting characters doesn't seem too viable with how every time you get a new character, even being a copy of another, enough people get attached to them to not want them to go, which I am sure was the fuel of the whole "everyone is here" objective for this game. And the only way I see another FE character getting in is if they decide they want one to promote another game, unfortunately. If somebody like Edelgard were to be put in, it would feel like the Corrin situation all over again; I remember the second I saw Ryoma reaching his hand out in that reveal trailer, I immediately knew who it was and shouted, "No!" due to the fact that there were plenty of characters FE fans would like to have gotten but were forsaken for an ad (despite the last few DLC supposedly being about fan service). That almost makes hoping for older fan favorites pointless; we'll likely much sooner get a character that becomes popular thanks to Smash (and possibly become more known as a Smash Bros character than a FE character), rather than a character that made it in Smash because they were popular/requested. That would feel all the more tragic if a reocurring character that many wish for like Anna or Tiki were to end up appearing in a future game like Three Houses and thus could have also been used as promotions themselves, anyway.
If we were in an alternate world where plenty of foresight could have made things more ideal, I personally think it would have been better if the roster started with Marth who could get the Alph treatment to a whole new level. If Marth is the archetype for the many sword lords of the series, then instead of having a dozen clones, he could have alternates based off other lords of the series that use a sword like Alm/Seliph/Lucina/etc who could each have their own voicing and victory animation and lines (and maybe taunts) to make them each feel like their own character, despite playing the same, without taking up a huge chunk of the character select (maybe it could work like press X to switch character, Y to switch color). Following that could be characters that are popular like Ike and Lyn, characters that feel like they belong due to being reoccurring/staple characters like Anna and Tiki, and characters that could offer something fun and unique like Robin and the Whitewings.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...I mean, real talk? At this point I'd just be down with a Fire Emblem Fighting Game if we wanted a game with a lot of them...so long as it wasn't what happened to the Fire Emblem Fates/Awakening Warriors roster. Though, real talk? If Soul Calibur ever came back to a Nintendo Console, why use Link when you could probably just shove Lucina in there?

Digressions aside, I think what bothers me the most about the Marths is that...well...half of them have no logical reason to fight like Marth:

Roy wields a different type of sword, and the changes given to him on his return are nice, but- Look at his sprite animations while using the Sword of Seals...that's uh- not how you'd see Marth use his (variant of) Falchion.

Chrom is basically the above. I mean, sure, Chrom is related to Marth...kinda...Fire Emblem Awakening is weird...but that doesn't mean they fight alike. Sword and stance alone could tell you that. Still...at least he's an echo of a clone so, that's something.

And with Lucina? Well, she's a phoney trying to be him...As to how she learned to emulate the style is anyone's guess but...questions that don't need answering?

-------------------

I guess it's the whole Ganondorf (and Zero Suit/Samus, and Bowser) problem, really; people get used to the way the character is in Smash, but this is not a proper representation of the real character.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
...I mean, real talk? At this point I'd just be down with a Fire Emblem Fighting Game if we wanted a game with a lot of them...so long as it wasn't what happened to the Fire Emblem Fates/Awakening Warriors roster. Though, real talk? If Soul Calibur ever came back to a Nintendo Console, why use Link when you could probably just shove Lucina in there?

Digressions aside, I think what bothers me the most about the Marths is that...well...half of them have no logical reason to fight like Marth:

Roy wields a different type of sword, and the changes given to him on his return are nice, but- Look at his sprite animations while using the Sword of Seals...that's uh- not how you'd see Marth use his (variant of) Falchion.

Chrom is basically the above. I mean, sure, Chrom is related to Marth...kinda...Fire Emblem Awakening is weird...but that doesn't mean they fight alike. Sword and stance alone could tell you that. Still...at least he's an echo of a clone so, that's something.

And with Lucina? Well, she's a phoney trying to be him...As to how she learned to emulate the style is anyone's guess but...questions that don't need answering?

-------------------

I guess it's the whole Ganondorf (and Zero Suit/Samus, and Bowser) problem, really; people get used to the way the character is in Smash, but this is not a proper representation of the real character.
While I think you bring up a good point at the same time each character in Fire Emblem only has so many animations in the early games so it's not like they exactly had a wealth of moves to draw from. That said I agree that I don't think they necessarily would make sense as costumes, echos are already pushing it.

And don't get me started on the Fire Emblem Warriors roster lol

I often feel like Fire Emblem met an unfortunate fate in terms of it's character roster with it being mostly Marth copies and promotions. (Though one might argue that Zelda met a worse fate; twenty years of the big bad being a Falcon clone, and now we have three Links that all use bombs, arrows, a boomerang and spin attack despite the fact that they could each offer something quite fun and unique... make it stop!) At this point, we are where we are and cutting characters doesn't seem too viable with how every time you get a new character, even being a copy of another, enough people get attached to them to not want them to go, which I am sure was the fuel of the whole "everyone is here" objective for this game. And the only way I see another FE character getting in is if they decide they want one to promote another game, unfortunately. If somebody like Edelgard were to be put in, it would feel like the Corrin situation all over again; I remember the second I saw Ryoma reaching his hand out in that reveal trailer, I immediately knew who it was and shouted, "No!" due to the fact that there were plenty of characters FE fans would like to have gotten but were forsaken for an ad (despite the last few DLC supposedly being about fan service). That almost makes hoping for older fan favorites pointless; we'll likely much sooner get a character that becomes popular thanks to Smash (and possibly become more known as a Smash Bros character than a FE character), rather than a character that made it in Smash because they were popular/requested. That would feel all the more tragic if a reocurring character that many wish for like Anna or Tiki were to end up appearing in a future game like Three Houses and thus could have also been used as promotions themselves, anyway.
If we were in an alternate world where plenty of foresight could have made things more ideal, I personally think it would have been better if the roster started with Marth who could get the Alph treatment to a whole new level. If Marth is the archetype for the many sword lords of the series, then instead of having a dozen clones, he could have alternates based off other lords of the series that use a sword like Alm/Seliph/Lucina/etc who could each have their own voicing and victory animation and lines (and maybe taunts) to make them each feel like their own character, despite playing the same, without taking up a huge chunk of the character select (maybe it could work like press X to switch character, Y to switch color). Following that could be characters that are popular like Ike and Lyn, characters that feel like they belong due to being reoccurring/staple characters like Anna and Tiki, and characters that could offer something fun and unique like Robin and the Whitewings.
I also think you bring up a good point when talking about cuts, Roy came back because people like him the way he is and cutting him would probably make some people unhappy. That said unless they decide that Smash will continue down this route with a smaller number of newcomers each game to keep everyone in, someone is going to be unhappy regardless and if they could do it in a way that would fix Fire Emblem's overall reputation and representation issues I think that would probably make the most people happy.

SMH at all y'all calling for Chrom's head.
I know you're a big fan of the series, what would you like Fire Emblem's future to look like in Smash then?

i added Takumi becuase he is the most popular one
Oh Takumi is 100% more popular than the other two but it just feels weird to say Corrin should get dropped because no one likes Fates then grab a character from Fates to replace them. I know you said Corrin was bland too but personality aside I think the partial transformation gimmick and their overall design are pretty fantastic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While I think you bring up a good point at the same time each character in Fire Emblem only has so many animations in the early games so it's not like they exactly had a wealth of moves to draw from. That said I agree that I don't think they necessarily would make sense as costumes, echos are already pushing it.

And don't get me started on the Fire Emblem Warriors roster lol

I also think you bring up a good point when talking about cuts, Roy came back because people like him the way he is and cutting him would probably make some people unhappy. That said unless they decide that Smash will continue down this route with a smaller number of newcomers each game to keep everyone in, someone is going to be unhappy regardless and if they could do it in a way that would fix Fire Emblem's overall reputation and representation issues I think that would probably make the most people happy.

I know you're a big fan of the series, what would you like Fire Emblem's future to look like in Smash then?

Oh Takumi is 100% more popular than the other two but it just feels weird to say Corrin should get dropped because no one likes Fates then grab a character from Fates to replace them. I know you said Corrin was bland too but personality aside I think the partial transformation gimmick and their overall design are pretty fantastic.
Personally, assuming unlimited resources and me calling the shots, I wouldn't cut anyone. For characters I'd eventually like to see added, Celica would be my top request, as then all three of my favorite lords would be playable. After that, I think Caeda would be a fantastic pick, as Pegasus Knights are emblematic of the franchise as far as iconic classes go, and she's easily the most important one (and among the most popular). Plus Archanea needs more love in Smash anyway.

If we're talking absolute no-hopers, Merric. Always Merric.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Since my last post was basically what should've been done differently, I'll now say what I'd like to see going forward.

For Ultimate, I would like any of the three lords from Three Houses using their axe, lance, or bow, if they somehow make it in. Byleth seems like an avatar and though we haven't seen much of him I just have a feeling he'd be a Robin clone, and a less interesting one than Celica.

Speaking of, if we get echo characters here and there I would love if Celica was added as a Robin echo, without breakable weapons and maybe a Pichu effect. Her spells could function like Robin's but have different looks (I picture her B: fire/Ragnarok, sideB: aura, downB: light Nosferatu, upB: Seraphim).

If we're putting ATs on the table Lyn is obviously the most deserving to become playable, though I'd love the Black Knight and/or Tiki as well.

Beyond that I don't think it's realistic to expect more FE characters in Ultimate, and even these possibilities seem unlikely to me. For the next game, I won't speculate much as I believe it won't come for a long time and may not be directed by Sakurai. In the case of a reset, I think we'd be fine keeping Marth, Ike, and Robin, with the rest of the roster being more flexible.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Personally, assuming unlimited resources and me calling the shots, I wouldn't cut anyone. For characters I'd eventually like to see added, Celica would be my top request, as then all three of my favorite lords would be playable. After that, I think Caeda would be a fantastic pick, as Pegasus Knights are emblematic of the franchise as far as iconic classes go, and she's easily the most important one (and among the most popular). Plus Archanea needs more love in Smash anyway.

I think no cuts would be great and your picks seem like good ones. I'm guessing you would want Celica as a unique fighter over an echo? And would Caeda be on her pegasus? How do you see that working?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
After that, I think Caeda would be a fantastic pick, as Pegasus Knights are emblematic of the franchise as far as iconic classes go, and she's easily the most important one (and among the most popular). Plus Archanea needs more love in Smash anyway.

Caeda and Merric are great characters, but how do you justify them being in the game over other ones that we've mentioned?

I mean, I plus 10'd Caeda in Heroes because I really like her, but idk if she's big enough to get into Smash. I also really like Archanea and wouldn't mind another rep, but there's other priorities for me like getting FE7 a rep.

We had some back-and-forth on Celica's chances in RTC, but I still don't see how she would make sense at this point; she'd need to have perfect timing with when they picked the DLC in order to be considered, and even then idk if Nintendo puts that much stock in a remake/remaster. If she misses this Fighter's Pass, then she's probably done.
I also don't really think of Celica being all that important to the series, partially on the basis of Gaiden being an odd duck within the franchise. Plus Alm's arguably more important than her. If she's cloneable, then maybe she's barely enough, but otherwise I'd pass.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Caeda and Merric are great characters, but how do you justify them being in the game over other ones that we've mentioned?

I mean, I plus 10'd Caeda in Heroes because I really like her, but idk if she's big enough to get into Smash. I also really like Archanea and wouldn't mind another rep, but there's other priorities for me like getting FE7 a rep.

We had some back-and-forth on Celica's chances in RTC, but I still don't see how she would make sense at this point; she'd need to have perfect timing with when they picked the DLC in order to be considered, and even then idk if Nintendo puts that much stock in a remake/remaster. If she misses this Fighter's Pass, then she's probably done.
I also don't really think of Celica being all that important to the series, partially on the basis of Gaiden being an odd duck within the franchise. Plus Alm's arguably more important than her. If she's cloneable, then maybe she's barely enough, but otherwise I'd pass.
Ehh I think in this case Opossum Opossum is more listing their wants so I don't see any issue with their picks there. At the end of the day realistically no Fire Emblem character probably has any chance at the DLC.

Top Bottom