• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding out your Melee revision for sure

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
Introduction:
Hi. I don't remember registering, but apparently at some point I did. I'm ShockSlayer, I make lots of things, I have a youtube if you want to go check some of that out. I've been interested in Melee hacking for a long time now, and since I have plans to build another Wii laptop I figured I might as well work on something nice to play on it. I have a lot of ideas and hopefully once I get some stuff done I'll post it here. I know somewhere I have a .ssm file(or whatever it is) with Link's melee voice replaced with his Soul Caliber 2 voice, I'll try to find that later and post it I guess if you guys want.

Anyways, like the title says, I'd like to report what worked out for me in regards to finding out what revision I had for sure. I know discussion of .isos and the like is usually frowned upon, but there's literally nothing out there on this subject that's definitive that I could find and I figure if I can at least help one person, I should.

Disc:
Well, first things first: if you are using a disc, finding out your version is easy. Just look on the bottom! Somewhere there should be this text: "DOL-GALE-0-00" or "DOL-GALE-0-01" or "DOL-GALE-0-02".
Obviously these correspond to your version; 00 being 1.00, 01 being 1.01, and 02 being 1.02.

ISO or GCM:
Now, if you have a .gcm or .iso file, you probably don't have the physical disc that it came with, unless you backed it up yourself(and you should if you can!) So that puts a damper on finding out your revision. No worries, we can figure this out.
- NOTE: This will not work with any hacked .ISO's unfortunately.

Now, I remember reading somewhere that in order to find out your revision, just open up the file with GC-Tool(or that GC ISO rebuilder tool who's name I can't remember) and look at the maker code. Well, THIS IS NOT TRUE. The maker code, I'm guessing from the name, is a code to identify the makers of the game. All of the melee .isos I have opened up have had maker code 0x01, as well as the other Nintendo titles I've opened, while games from Activision have 0x52, Capcom has 0x08, etc. So, let it be known that this is not the case.

So then, what do we do? We check the MD5 hash!
We need a few things for this:
1. The ISO/GCM (duh)
2. Something to check the MD5 hash
3. A list of the hashes corresponding to their versions.

Well, I can give you 2 and 3.
I used this program to check the MD5 (Click "Direct Download Link" on the left side of the page)

Now, for the list. I got these from redump.org:
3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c - Version 1.00
67136bd167b471e0ad72e98d10cf4356 - Version 1.01
0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174 - Version 1.02

Note: These are all NTSC.

Okay, so here's what you do:
1. Start up the MD5 checker, make sure "Verify and MD5 checksum" is checked at the bottom
2. Copy one of the MD5 hashes from above, you could even do random text(but that's no fun)
3. Click Paste, the code or your random text should show up in the box
4. Click Browse and find your .gcm/.iso and select it
5. It should automatically start verifying as soon as you've selected your .iso/.gcm
6. Once it's done, you'll either get "The Codes Match!" or "The Codes Do Not Match!"
7. It will display the MD5 hash of the .iso/.gcm regardless, so match that to the list above!

If it doesn't match, you've either got PAL or something else.

Further reading:
Version differences graph(offsets and junk) (This is why I've been trying to get my hands on all three versions)
Version differences(actual gameplay)
Version converter (I couldn't get this to work but was able to use the .imagediff files it has with the actual imagediff program)

If there's anything incorrect or something that needs clarification, please let me know.

SS

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
EXTRA NOTE
The ISOs should not be modded when checking this as it will give you the wrong results, a clean ISO will give you the right results.

Well I got:

V1.00
3A62F8D10FD210D4928AD37E3816E33C

V1.01
Couldn't test.

V1.02
0E63D4223B01D9ABA596259DC155A174

Good tutorial.

Rep

Smash Apprentice
This just doesn't work for me. It worked to identify my 1.0 version, but my 1.1 (or 1.2, not sure) definitely spits out garbage.

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Yeah my iso's were modded, but you didn't say in the original post that this guide only works on Un-modded SSBM isos. should post that.

Top Bottom