• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding John (found!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Most of you know we're producing a documentary series on Smash Brothers. As part of the series, it is our intention to track down John.

We don't have a lot to go on, which is why we're reaching out to the community for any clues that could lead to finding him.

The "clues" so far:

1. Possibly lives/lived in the Salt Lake City area.

2. Played with Rob$ or Caveman.

That's it.

If you know anything at all that could lead us to him - PLEASE POST.

Thanks for your help guys!

EDIT: Thanks for you support and diligence y'all! We got him!

And we'll get him on camera for The Smash Brothers. :)

Thanks to you guys, that was WAY too easy.

Varist

Smash Lord
wait, is this a joke? like metaphorically finding "John"? the symbolic representative of all those who John? Or are Salty (SALT LAKE CITY)?

Or the guy who inspired the term? just go set up a lemonade-type stand that says "cash for your excuses" and whoever takes the most money from you must be named John.

edit: OH YEAH ROB$, LIKE ROB$ED OF MONEY. LIKE THE STAND. CONSPIRASEEE

samox

Smash Journeyman
Jonas you are correct - I am looking for THE John - the man for whom the term was born.

So we now have the state of Texas to also consider...

Jonas

Smash Champion
"Man I'd love to come and do an interview, but my car is in the shop and I don't have money for the bus."

Haha but I think it be cool to see an interview with the guy. Everyone uses his name but almost no one knows who he is.

If he used to play with Rob$ and Caveman, you should try to contact them and see if they know anything. Hugs seems to know at least something (judging from the interview) so you could also try to send him a PM.

EDIT:
Also found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FVaAXXMxg
Don't know if it's legit though. Actually I've seen some Ace guy posting on these boards (this guy, but it's hard to say if it's him. Apparently we're also looking at Delaware now).

Myztek

Smash Ace
From my understanding, ACE is his game name. I used to play with him back in 05 and 06. Saw him a few months ago at a tournament in Missouri.

I don't think it's -ACE-. In fact, I don't think John really comes to the boards anymore. He mostly plays Falcon in Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
? ace? hes from arkansas. i dont think thats the John. i saw him in october.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
He's in my crew and I see him regularly lol.

He's a cool guy, and though he does still john, he's actually really legit.

I've been playing with a legend :)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The story I had heard about John was he played with Matt Deezie's crew in Cali...not this Salt Lake rumor. The phrase John came about before the year mid-2003 - that I am positive of (that is when I joined the site and the phrase was already widely used by guys in my crew back then).

Whoever John was it would have to have been someone who played with a predominant crew in country probably in 2002, my guess originating and spreading after TG3 or 4 (probably 4, the first "national" tournament).

Palpi

Smash Hero
Last I heard, he walked from arkansas to missouri with only a gamecube and a controller, making money by challenging people on the streets to melee, only using the winnings for food.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
From what I remember his name was Juan and he was from Crystal City Texas.
This is correct(though I thought it was john not juan). He played with Crystal City and San Antonio somewhat frequently, and the term came from him making excuses for everything, not just smash coined by Rob$ specifically.

I believe Rob lives in austin now, but I'll link this thread to Caveman and see if he knows anything.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It means No excuses.

D

Deleted member

yeah it's def the texas guys. no johns came around when i started playing.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
omg 48 active users viewing this thread

i've heard from taj and forward that "john" was from crystal city with rob$ and caveman and stuff

but i've also heard that he is -ace- who lives in arkansas now.

i actually just assumed that it was the same person, and that he just moved from tx to ar

Varist

Smash Lord
thanks for telling everyone what we already knew after he linked us the ****ing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom