• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding Grabs in Neutral

EndingOfGenesis

Smash Rookie
Hello guys, I was wondering if anyone has advice on, or experience, of how to find grabs in neutral. In dawned on me the other day that 95% of my grabs seem to come from bad shield pressure, or randy grabs from nothing.

I've heard nintendude say that he just tries to win neutral and if a grab come from that then great. Otherwise, he just keeps playing the neutral. Sorry for the odd wording, but how do you see when there is openings on opponent? Is it a learned thing? Or is it something that you have to study/practice?

Ol Jim Grizzigsby

Smash Rookie
Well you can extrapolate a player's actions from previous data, giving you a read which can lead to a punish. Another way is to think about when a character enters an inactionable state (landing lag is a easy one) and react to those situations. I quite often find when someone is DDing a lot you can generally approach with wd jab grab or dsmash. The best way I've found to try and win neutral is to try and be as reactive as possible, but don't be predictable and don't get baited. Play safe, cover options and take as many as you can without sacrificing nana.

Top Bottom