• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding Bone IDs

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Main Wanted Information:
I downloaded the Crazy Hand software and it sure is a convenience. But I want to speed up the R&D by directly knowing what ID corresponds to what bone (per character, of course). This was so easy to do with BrawlBox but I know Melee isn't that far ahead .__.'|l

Bonus Wanted Information:
- is there a way to make body collisions between characters more concrete?
As it is now, a character can just run passed another almost as they were not in the way.
I want to change that.

- if anyone knows how to make aerial attacks clash each other like ground attacks do, please let me know. But the bone thing is most important.

- I also know 20XX has a function where in holding R on a certain S-tiers will allow use of their PAL versions. The information on how to add a PAL version per character has not really made public either for whatever reason. A common use of this would of course be having a melee version of a character and a custom version in the PAL slot.

Thanks for any and all help~

Solved Section
- nor how to change meteors into spikes and vice versa Y__Y I sure hate being a noob again

If you take a look at the subactions for any meteor smash (ganon's dair, samus' dair, etc...) you will notice that for they all have angles set to 270

any move can be made a spike by setting its angle to "290"
- so many questions, I don't know how to edit article hitboxes
Crazy Hand v1.33

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I downloaded the Crazy Hand software and it sure is a convenience. But I want to speed up the R&D by directly knowing what ID corresponds to what bone (per character, of course). This was so easy to do with BrawlBox but I know Melee isn't that far ahead .__.'|l

AND (!) is there a way to make body collisions between characters more concrete?
As it is now, a character can just run passed another almost as they were not in the way.
I want to change that.

XD AND if anyone knows how to make aerial attacks clash each other like ground attacks do, please let me know. But the bone thing is most important.

Thanks for any and all help~
Its easier in brawlbox because brawls format identifies the bones. So brawl box just pulls that number out. It also tells you the parent bone and even names the bones for you so brawlbox devs didnt really have to do much. Melee doesnt do this. It only tells you the next and child bone. You have to order and identify them yourself. If you just want the offset UMC will draw them for you. I had to write a script to order the bones but its part of a larger program.

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
@ Z zankyou
You're saying, then, of all the hacks people have done, no one bothered to record the bones found and post them in a public contribution list >___>'|l

As an aside, it just so happened that bone 32 is both Ganondorf's LHand for Melee and Brawl.

EDIT: Apparently, there is a way..I just don't know how to find the DAT files

Have you looked into the dat files. Bone offsets are easy to find.
http://smashboards.com/threads/poss...ne-character-animations.412037/#post-20031608

Last edited:

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
It's in the "Toomai's" hitbox excel spreadsheet thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mt2yj2jy4hl6d4j
This only helps slightly; all that info is better organized in the Crazy Hand software itself.
I found this before but didn't download it because it does not load online (I downloaded it now, of course).

It still doesn't detail which bone id goes to what body part, so I'll still have to go through trial and error which is waaaay too inefficient for my tastes.

For example...
Ganondorf's jab is just 3 hitboxes disjointed from either his hip or some center line (casual melee devs -__-).
Instead, it should be 3 hitboxes on his LHand, Left Elbow, and Left Shoulder appropriately.

Thank you though (b'--')b

If anyone can point me to something like animating custom moves, that usually reveals bone ids?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
If anyone can point me to something like animating custom moves, that usually reveals bone ids?
Doesnt exist. Nintendo devs named the bones in the mdl0 files for brawl, but they didnt do the same for melee and to my knowledge no one has gone through and named all the bones because there hasnt been a need to. I might have to soon but to my knowledge youre going to have to id the bones yourself. Its not THAT bad if you use umc and melee toolkit since you can see the bones and where they are in the model and count up to that offset pretty quickly.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Doesnt exist. Nintendo devs named the bones in the mdl0 files for brawl, but they didnt do the same for melee and to my knowledge no one has gone through and named all the bones because there hasnt been a need to. I might have to soon but to my knowledge youre going to have to id the bones yourself. Its not THAT bad if you use umc and melee toolkit since you can see the bones and where they are in the model and count up to that offset pretty quickly.
*cries softly*

XD okay. That much of a convenience gap, huh. If you can point me to them (the umc and toolkit), that'd help. Otherwise, that's a pretty good X for my map, uhh...so to speak >__>'|l.

I wonder what is you're doing, then.
I may as well reveal that, I just want to see what it's like for characters to have precision hit"boxes"/grab.."boxes" among other things

Last edited:

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I checked the list by Toomai, it doesn't list the IDs for sword characters. Anyone who has a list? I would hate to discover what they are through trial and error.

Gun.Rugger

Smash Cadet
I have mapped Bowser and given instructions on how to map the bone IDs of a character relatively effectively. If everyone contributes one character, then this thing will get done quickly.

https://github.com/gunrugger/ssbm-boneIDs/

If you cant figure out how to get your images onto github, then you can upload it some other way and just let me know. I will make sure it gets into the repo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, if you wanted to create a move that is a Specific Bone State (think mario invulnerable up smash) how do you know what the values are? I would really appreciate some help. The move I want to edit is bowser's down tilt. I want to make his head invulnerable because it sticks out and has no hitbox to cover it. Makes it really easy for him to get grabbed when he should be a favorable position and it is annoying to me.

Top Bottom