• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash Special Bar

Bernal

Smash Rookie
The randomness of Final Smashes can almost garuntee that they will not be used in competitive play.

So I was thinking.. what if Final Smashes were activated when some sort of special bar was filled up, like in many traditional fighting games. It could be activated for examaple by giving 500% of damage, in total, to the the opponent.. or maybe after receiving 500% total damage from the opponent.

The special bar would eliminate the randomness factor involved with Final Smashes and they would have a better chance at being used in competive play. The "Final Smash Bar" would create new strageies. More people will try to master their final smashes with each character. It may possibly balance the inevitable tier list. Lower tier characters have a better chance at higher tier positions. Though it could also make the game more unblanced by giving already good characters better Final Smashes.

So the question is... Do you think that the Final Smash would have been better off if they were implemented into the game with a special bar or are do you enjoy the concept of the Smash Ball?

If they did use a special bar, would you still rather turn off the final smashes in competitive play?

What possible conditions do you think should be met to fill up this "special bar"?

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
It could be your bar fills up a TINY amount (like 1/1000th) every time you hit your opponent, seeing as how broken the smashes are. However, brawl's already out in Japan so that won't happen :(

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
It could be your bar fills up a TINY amount (like 1/500th) every time you hit your opponent, seeing as how broken the smashes are. However, brawl's already out in Japan so that won't happen :(

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Taking away final smash is taking away..a move from a character i'm using it no matter what..

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
But then it wouldn't be Smash Bros, sadly. Even though I am not a huge FS fan, I prefer the current method to a "special bar."

If a bar were used, I'd say it would need to be a sort of combo bar. Individual hits wouldn't help it, but landing combos would slowly increase it for each attack in the combo (after the first one). Since combos are harder to pull off in Brawl, it would make the bar harder to fill up and make the FS much more of a reward.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
So the question is... Do you think that the Final Smash would have been better off if they were implemented into the game with a special bar or are do you enjoy the concept of the Smash Ball?
It would be much better that way but...

If they did use a special bar, would you still rather turn off the final smashes in competitive play?
I would still think that they wouldn't be right for competitive play because they just wreck any kind of character balance.
If you guys thought Melee match ups were redundant, it would be 10x worse.

What possible conditions do you think should be met to fill up this "special bar"?
I guess dealing and receiving 300% damage combined.

why 300? Because that movie was awesome and 300% is what you're set at for sudden death so i thought it would be a good number.
Nice and high so that you would have to work hard for the reward.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
i could see how the special bar could work...... However i guess the smash ball was made for the whole "party effect." There should have been an option to choose between them.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I've turned Smash Balls off. They made the game boring.

Thing is, all the characters are balanced, but the Final Smashes aren't, so basically, you'd pick a character with a good FS like Sonic or Pikachu.

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
@OP

If that were the case I think FSs would be considered. As of this point I do not believe that Smash Balls are going to be included into tournament play.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like a pretty neat idea. But it would be another kind of complication to interfere with the Smash Ball's intended randomness and turnabout zaniness!

See, it's: smash the Smash Ball, take position, blow the heck out of your opponent(s). Win!

EDIT: For the sake of tournaments the suggestion would probably make its inclusion more probable. But I wouldn't know, really!

Magnacor

Smash Ace
No offense, but how can you guys honestly think that making it a bar would help in tournament play? If you made it so you had to take damage to get it, then that wouldn't balance the characters, just any matches with a noob and a pro fighting. If it was used as a reward for doing good, then what's the point? It will just make the guy winning win faster. The current way is much better suited for tournament play believe it or not. It may appear right next to you, but that will only let you get the first hit and you still aren't guarenteed to get the Smash Ball. You would have to prioritize getting the Smash Ball between taking care of your opponent while they're distracted or getting the Smash Ball. If you're damage is high, you may not worry about getting killed from a Final Smash and focus on taking out your opponent. If it's low, you don't have to worry about getting killed while trying to get it, so you can go all out for it. I think that it should be used as an option like counter-picking a stage after you lose. The first match with no Final Smashes (unless both players agree on it before-hand). The second the loser gets to decide whether or not they're used and same thing with the last match.

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't like the idea of a special bar. What might make it more tournament viable is if the smash ball's appearance were less random, i.e. it always appears at a specific time in the center of the stage and you have to fight to be there when it spawns. That still wouldn't solve the apparent balance issues in 1v1 though.

roguebanshee

Smash Cadet
If it wasn't Smash Balls, I'd prefer every player having a fixed number of Final Smashes. No charging involved, but available from the very first second of the fight. The amount would be selectable before the match starts, ranging from 0 to 20 (or something) with a default of 1 per match, with the possibility to switch to per minute or per stock.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The super mechanic from street fighter works very well. Implementing a similar system in smash would've been cool. When this happens, final smashes become part of a character's basic moveset, instead of the random item that it is at the moment.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'd hate for Brawl to become Street Fighter.

I love Street Fighter but I don't want Brawl to work JUST like it.

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
It all depends on personal opinion. I wouldn't use it in competitive play since I believe when fighting with another on professional terms you should only use skill and no items(i.e. Smash Ball).

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
But then it wouldn't be Smash Bros, sadly. Even though I am not a huge FS fan, I prefer the current method to a "special bar."

If a bar were used, I'd say it would need to be a sort of combo bar. Individual hits wouldn't help it, but landing combos would slowly increase it for each attack in the combo (after the first one). Since combos are harder to pull off in Brawl, it would make the bar harder to fill up and make the FS much more of a reward.
that would mean fast characters and characters with easy combo hits would steam roll and get final smashes way faster than a bowser or an ike.

i don't know why we're talking about this though, it's pointless...

csquid

Smash Cadet
I like the smash ball and dont think that special bar is a good idea. i like the idea of fighting to the death over a smash ball

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Actually, a combo-meter type thing wouldn't be totally out of the question. If you go into melee's training mode and look at the HUD, then you'll see a little bar that says combo in it. The number next to it refers to how many hits you've gotten in on your opponent in a row before they return to their natural standing position. Basically, you've got to keep laying down the flinch. This still applies in regular melee. You just don't see a number show up on screen. Nor does it do anything besides hurt your opponent in the regular way.

I think that a combo meter would work in Brawl (Or it's sequel) ONLY if the developers were trying to make it more competitive and less partyish. Even then, you'd have to make a few changes from the training mode combo counter. Rapid A attacks, for example, would have to be discounted somehow. Also, to make it workable for the general setting, getting combos would have to be made slightly easier.

The bonus you get from it...well, since Final Smashes are match-winning super moves, getting a final smash through a combo gauge would have to be appropriately difficult. I propose one final smash for every thirty numbers of combo you earn, where it is the total sum of all the combos you've used so far. Also, the only combos counted are ones that go higher than five. All four or lower combos would have a very minimalized effect. If you do the math, that means you'll have to land six five-hit combos, or higher, before you get that Final.

Again, this would make the game much more competitive, with an enhanced emphasis on high-level play. People with more skill would be more guaranteed to win matches, and the learning curve would steepen. If Nintendo was going to do this, they'd have to put more emphasis on hardcore players, a market they're not famous for. It could happen, if someone other than Sakurai was to develop SSB4, and if Nintendo decided that they felt like experimenting with new directions. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

B J

Smash Cadet
I would think it that idea would make it even more unfair for the fighters. The person who damages the other player more gets a final smash to do even more damage? Its my opinion though that it should be random.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I think it is a good idea which i had in mind aswell but it will just remove the uniqueness of the game. having the smash ball is also good as going for the ball is already a risk so both ideas are good. they shuda made an option to use the bar as i would like the bar better

Top Bottom