• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Pre-Launch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Announced

smash_bros_direct.png
Nintendo confirmed this morning that we'll be getting an all new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct this coming Thursday, November 1st at 7:00 AM PT/ 10:00 AM ET. This direct will be a whopping 40 minutes long, and is confirmed to be the final presentation before the game launches on December 7th.

Will we see the final roster? Will the elusive new mode finally be detailed? Has the Grinch been naughty, or nice? What other surprises lie in wait? We'll surely get the answers to most of these, and then some, when we see that Smash logo open up Thursday morning.

Author's Note: Shoutouts to the Geno Support Thread! Who are you hoping to see on Thursday? What else do you think might be shown? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Kyle "Fenriraga" Hurley

Comments

Here's hoping my Chorus Bois make it in...
Also, good luck to the fans of the grinchy seven, as well as fans of other characters

Last edited:
D
Come on Geno and Isaac. Also hoping to find out more about spirits mode. Should be fun. Masahiro Sakurai always delivers.

Well if just one of the characters from The Grinch leak is one of the first characters revealed, then that'll confirm right then and there that the leak is real.

I wonder if they had to push this out because of Grinch, just so it could come from them sooner.

Well if just one of the characters from The Grinch leak is one of the first characters revealed, then that'll confirm right then and there that the leak is real.
Not quite; I mean, we're gonna know by the end of the thing, but we'd have to see the mural first, but if we get Geno, Ken then Shadow, probably, but we can't say so until we're certain.

All I'm saying is Geno could get revealed first then someone who isn't in the leak.

Last edited:
Final four base game newcomer (Echo Fighters excluded) thoughts...
  • 69 - Buzzwole
  • 70 - Tails
  • 71 - Shadow
  • 72 - Toad (a huge surprise to end the Smash Direct)
Final four base game Echo Fighters...
  • 14ε - Dry Bowser
  • 27ε - Dark Meta Knight
  • 60ε - Ken
  • 72ε - Toadette
That would add up to 82 fighters total.

I'm gonna be asleep when the direct broadcast live so when I wake up later that afternoon, first thing I'm doing is checking it out.

To those that still have characters they've been asking for, cross your fingers but don't get your hopes up.

• 69 - Buzzwole
  • 70 - Tails
  • 71 - Shadow
  • 14ε - Dry Bowser
  • 27ε - Dark Meta Knight
  • 60ε - Ken
  • 72ε - Toadette
That's a good unpredictable Wii U era prediction, but with everything that's been going on, I just do not see it.

That's a good unpredictable Wii U era prediction, but with everything that's been going on, I just do not see it.
Some of us just don't trust the leaks that try to ruin everything. Stick to official sources, and obviously, Nintendo itself confirmed that a new Smash Direct was coming.

• 69 - Buzzwole
  • 70 - Tails
  • 71 - Shadow
  • 14ε - Dry Bowser
  • 27ε - Dark Meta Knight
  • 60ε - Ken
  • 72ε - Toadette
Unlikely, but a cool idea nonetheless.

Unlikely, but a cool idea nonetheless.
Yeah it's primarily wishful thinking, and it's always possible that Nintendo won't reveal the final base game newcomers until after the game has been released. After all, look at when Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were officially revealed; they were revealed to us after Smash 3DS was released.

OK, I'm finally going to say it. After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that the Grinch Leak makes some logical sense, but only with a few characters for one reason;

Sakurai said himself that the licensing was a nightmare.

This seems an odd detail, but hear me out.

For instance, look at Snake. Konami let Nintendo use him in Brawl, so could have simply recycled the agreement. However, the introduction of Castlevania into Smash brings a ton of licensing issues. I mean, two characters, a stage, a few ATs, and 34 tracks? :ultsimon::ultrichter:

Now, look at Capcom. They've licensed out Ryu and Mega Man already, so Ken wouldn't be too hard to sort out as an Echo, but more paperwork. :ultmegaman: :ultryu:

Next exhibit; Sega. They've seemed really into adding reps to Smash, being Sonic and Bayonetta, so Shadow is pretty plausible as another Echo... but more paperwork. :ultsonic: :ultbayonetta:

Next; Square Enix. The agreement for Cloud, Midgar and tons of FFVII music is probably extensive, so Geno would realistically be able to be squeezed in too, but more paperwork. :ultcloud:

Obviously Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven and Mach Rider are owned by Nintendo, so not really supported by this.

Lastly is Banjo-Kazooie, owned by Rare... MUCH more paperwork.

I'm thinking that the likelihood of inclusion for the third-parties will be as follows;

1. Shadow
2. Ken
3. Geno
4. Banjo-Kazooie.

This is based on the track records of the actual companies, and the fan service factor, but is just a hunch, really. It's not a leak or anything, just an idea. We'll have to wait and see... Won't be able to sleep tonight for Smash Direct...

With Square Enix being so strict with its property, I find it doubtful that Geno will ever make it, especially considering that we don't have any Final Fantasy remixes at all.

Also, the idea of Shadow being an Echo Fighter would be a big waste. Isabelle is not an Echo Fighter by any means, so surely there would be a way to make Shadow be more than just a mere Sonic copycat; Chaos Spear, Chaos Control, and Chaos Blast are a few notable moves that Shadow could use.

With Square Enix being so strict with its property, I find it doubtful that Geno will ever make it, especially considering that we don't have any Final Fantasy remixes at all.

Also, the idea of Shadow being an Echo Fighter would be a big waste. Isabelle is not an Echo Fighter by any means, so surely there would be a way to make Shadow be more than just a mere Sonic copycat; Chaos Spear, Chaos Control, and Chaos Blast are a few notable moves that Shadow could use.
Excellent point. However, it may get to the point where we have to clutch at straws. It would be a shame, but the Shadow Echo is, to me at least, a last resort.

You can quote me on this, I expect a huge curveball or something.

Also, 40 minutes is quite a long direct. I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom