• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Cutter: An Underrated Move with Potential

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, TimG57867 here. Now I am a relatively new member here and this happens to be my first thread so well, here goes nothing.

Now, I've read a lot of the threads here, both old and new, and the general consensus is that Kirby's pour approach is one of, if not, his greatest issues. Now, I've seen a lot of suggestions about how to help the pink puff out overall. These include a stronger Up Throw, quicker aerials, and more air and ground speed. All of these are great suggestions (although the speed buffs seem very unlikely). However, one buff that I am shocked doesn't get brought more is restoring Final Cutter's range to that of Brawl's (or giving it more!)

Generally, I have found that Final Cutter is one of the more poorly regard moves in Kirby's repertoire, and I have to admit that the sentiment is understandable. It already has a bad reputation for being one of the only moves bad Kirby players will use along with Down B and smashes. And as a recovery move, it's very poor as it can't sweetspot the ledge from below, has poor horizontal distance, cannot be canceled at the peak, and has annoying startup and end lag. With all these issues, it's little wonder that Kirby players that like customs are so quick to switch it out for Upper Cutter which can sweetspot the ledge from below, makes Kirby's gimp game godly, is difficult to gimp itself, makes for a potent combo breaker, makes a great kill move that combos out of Up Tilt and F-Throw, and makes Kirby's recovery go from solid to top tier. Given all these benefits, it's hard to justify using Final Cutter over it in customs settings, even if it had its Brawl range. However, since customs seem to be getting fizzled out of competitive SSB4 for the foreseeable future, Kirby will pretty much be stuck with Final Cutter as well. A shame but while Final Cutter will probably always be subpar recovery move, I feel that with a buff to its frame data and above all range in the cutter wave, it could become one of Kirby's most valuable options in the neutral and remedy his awful approach.

Underrated Utility
Now before I get into the moves potential with buffs, I want to talk about how underrated it is in its current state. Given all the flaws I just pointed out, calling it great or even good move would be an overstatement, especially in its nerfed state. And yet, I've gotten a ton of utility out of despite its flaws, so much so that I am shocked few Kirby players use it neutral. The main use I've gotten out it is as a spacing tool. Flawed it may be, it is Kirby's only transcendent attack and while Up Tilt and Up Smash are disjointed, but those have too little range to be challenging other disjoints. I can say from experience that this move as been a great spacing tool for me that's given me good breathing room in many pressure situations that would have been a nightmare without. For example, I find :4peach: to be a rather pesky opponent for Kirby to face as she can just float above our heads and out of reach and slam us good if we try to challenge her in the air head on. And given a how strong her F-Air is, a Peach floating in on you can be scary. But I've found Final Cutter to be a great anti air against her. Spaced it right, it'll snuff out any attempt by her to home in on you with an aerial can swat her back to the ground. I've had similar success with this against other foes like :4ness: and :4jigglypuff: that either love to spam their speedy N-Airs (wish Kirby had one. :urg:) in our face or taunt us with their better aerial mobility. Speaking of disjointed properties, I've found the move to be a god send when dealing with characters who have a lot of disjoints, especially swordsman like :4marth: and :4pit:. While challenging their aerials head on with our small range is a mistake, I can often push them back and get some momentum with a well timed Up B. Final Cutter also makes life against super heavy and strong characters like :4dedede:, :4ganondorf:, and :4dk: a bit easier for me. Given the range and power they possess, you have to be careful when getting in on them, and Final Cutter often allows me to throw them off more and make the back up when they go on the offensive. This especially applies on For Glory where lag makes their slow yet destructive moves much better than normal and makes it hard for us to punish them without getting blown away. One time, I met a laggy King Dedede player online that did nothing but spam stronger and long ranging moves at me. Were it not for Final Cutter, I might have gotten creamed just because of lag.

Another nice thing about Final Cutter that we all know is that it spikes on the way down. Now given its properties, it's hard to edge guard with it unless the opponent is right in front of the ledge and we only hit them on the way down as if we get them on the rise, the projectile could potential ruin the spike. But if used correctly, it can punish people hard for trying to gimp us. If we space and time it right, we can catch their gimp attempt and send them plummeting while we grab the ledge. Mike Kirby was actually able to do this in Grand Finals in PoPnOff 15. It was probably an accident, but shows how we can punish foes for tries to gimp us near the ledge:

(the last minute of the video)

Another nice thing about is that cuts through the ledge. Often foes would position themselves to punish my get up options. In response, I'd start up B right below the ledge to cut them and force them away allowing to me to get back on stage, similar to Ryu's Shoryuken. And it also makes a nice to move to punish spot dodges. And as pathetic as the projectile's current range is, it is never the less a projectile so if we throw it out raw, we can catch our opponent off guard, especially they are speedy and lacking projectiles of their own like :4littlemac:. It can also help you land if you're being juggled high on top if you use it right.

Now I know that this is not the kind of move you should spam every second as it can be telegrahed if overused as For Glory Kirbys show. But used with a purpose Final Cutter makes a nice spacing tool which is a great thing to have a character with little range like Kirby.
It's Potential with Buffs

One of the main reasons Kirby suffers right now is that he has no effective way of safely approaching and maintaining stage presence. He's often forced to power shield a lot and jump in the air. As good as having multiple jumps is, it can only do so much since our air speed is poor and our aerials are bit on the slow side. Plus this approach falls short if our opponent is rocking disjoints or all rounding super speedy aerials. Our speed on the ground is somewhat better, but still mediocre so we can't really rush down if we want to get aggressive. All of these issues makes the neutral hard for Kirby and I see many wish that our specials were different moves. I find myself wishing that at times too, but if it got the right buffs, I think Final Cutter alone would make our neutral go from bad to decent.

Now some might feel that a range increase on the cutter wouldn't be a big game changer. After all, the projectile can only travel along the ground and the rise you have to do first means an opponent far away can see it coming and shield. But there lies the beauty of it: they would actually have a reason to do a defensive option while NOT being next to Kirby. Any good Smash player knows that projectiles are used for more than simply causing damage. They're used to hinder approach and get in safely. They are also used to force approaches from the opponent and punish their mistakes. Kirby suffers because he's almost always forced to approach. Sure he can be patient and camp, but it often isn't that effective due to not having a long range projectile and being slow. Sure we can punish approaches well with our tilts and combos, but if we have to approach, things can get tricky. However, a buff to Final Cutter's projectile would be a boon to this problem. One thing we need to remember is that the cutter wave is transcendent which means it doesn't trade with other hitboxes. It'll go right through other projectiles. This alone would vastly improve our matchup against :4luigi:. One of main struggles is that we have hard time getting through his fireballs, even with our crouch and jab. We can copy them, but we can't outmatch his use of them because unlike :4mario:'s his fireballs go straight. With a long ranged Final Cutter, we could stop him from fireball camping us and actually zone him out as without that his approach is as bad as ours if not worse due to his poor aerial mobility. This would also prevent peanut camping from :4diddy:, allow us to hit :rosalina:'s Luma from a safe distance, make camping a bit harder for characters like :4olimar:, and keep :4bowser: and :4charizard: from outranging us with their Fire Breath. We could also keep speedy characters like :4sonic: , :4feroy:, and :4falcon: from charging in and trying to overwhelm us too. Back in Brawl, I would often use Final Cutter to keep Sonic from abusing his spin dash. With a long range projectile, they'd actually have to approach carefully. It would also give us a way to punish backward rolls. Because we're slow and lacking range, it's hard for Kirby to punish backward rolls from characters like :4greninja: and :4link:. With a long range projectile, we can read a roll and send it out to clip them. Final Cutter could potentially set up traps too. Sometimes your opponent may jump over the beam, which is exactly where Kirby loves to juggle his enemies. It would also make it easier for us to force shields from a distance and get grabs and Inhales to obtain other abilities. And just imagine Kirby with two long range projectiles! We'd be able to outcamp foes like :4samus: and do a number on opponents' shields. We'd also be able to harass recoveries without jumping off the ledge. We could force opponents to recover low, putting them in the perfect spot for spikes.

It Needs to be Restored
Out of all the nerfs Kirby got in the switch, Final Cutter losing its range was easily the one that made me most upset. It wasn't the greatest projectile in Brawl, but it definitely had its use. Now that I am a much better player than I was in previous games, I can now understand all the more what a nice option we lost when they cut the range in half. Like it or not, its Kirby's only projectile and having its range dropped to the point where the high startup makes it near useless as a zoning tool was a big blow that I feel gets overlooked too often. Part of me feels they did that to increase the appeal of Wave Cutter, but the Final Cutter wave only deals 5-6% alone, Upper Cutter is a better option, and customs are getting phased out anyway so they might as well improve Kirby's base game.

Next to Up Throw killing between 140-160% again and less startup on D-Air, this is probably the biggest buff they could give Kirby. With less startup and endlag and its range restored to double its current distance like in Brawl, this move could singlehandedly make Kirby's neutral go from being one of the poorest in the game to an actually workable one. It's certainly possible for them as they wouldn't have to change the animation. They'd just have to tweek whatever number affects its travel distance and they've already changed the distance on things like Rosalina's uncharged Luma. It won't allow us to camp and wall characters out like :4pacman: or :4villager: and spamming it mindlessly would still lead to getting punished, but with smart use it'd give Kirby a safer approaching tool and make his stage presence so much better. I don't know if this upcoming patch will change characters at all, let alone Kirby, but if it does affect him this what I'd personally love to see most along with an Up Throw buff. With the game more balanced than Brawl, Kirby having a viable projectile would make him more effective than ever if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I agree with the the whole range thing, but that's kind of what Wave Cutter wound up being for. It has Brawl range on the projectile and forces opponents to do a lot offstage, but ultimately Upper Cutter became preferred for its recovery and ridiculous combo/OoS options. I still think Wave Cutter is very good, even after all this time (although I've forgotten a lot of my setups because Customs are going away D:), though.

As for Final Cutter, it does have tools, namely spiking, but so long as Wave Cutter remains the way it is I doubt we'll see changes to Final Cutter. They're very similar moves, it's just one has a spike and the other has... quite a few good things going for it, I won't go on because this isn't a KIRBYFAN LOVES WAVE CUTTER topic, but no spike.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Wave Cutter is good. But it's nevertheless a custom which means that unless customs become favorable again, it's pretty much irrelevant as far as the general metagame is concerned and Upper Cutter does more for Kirby anyway. Plus I feel that even if Final Cutter had its old range, Wave Cutter would be able to justify itself due to doing all of Final Cutter's possible damage with the projectile alone. I already noted this and it makes me worry that they won't restore Final Cutter to its former grace, but given how much Kirby struggles in the neutral, I'd think they'd be doing him a bigger favor giving him something he can use in any environment versus trying to get people to look into a custom trick that no one uses even in custom tournaments. :p

Oh well. I can only hope they consider this.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
That's why you have Wave Cutter, and even then, some people prefer Upper Cutter.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I know. But:

1. Upper Cutter blows it out of the water in utility so no one will use it anyway
2. Wave Cutter's projectile does 15% while Final Cutter's only does 5% so it's not like it's completely redundant
3. Final Cutter is legal in all formats. Unless they like Kirby's neutral staying poor in big tournaments and online, they'd do Kirby a big favor improving its range.

It's a pipe dream but boy would they make Kirby players happy if they did that.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
It's pretty obvious that the developers nerfed the range on the Final Cutter projectile because they were adding Wave Cutter anyway imo. I definitely don't think they will change it back to the Brawl variant as Wave Cutter is still in the game regardless of if it is used by the competitive scene or not. If Sakurai cared about the competitive scene he would just make customization more intuitive instead.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Yeah, the above point is kind of what I was trying to say. I wish they were to start balancing Customs so I could use Wave again. ;__;

Final Cutter buffs would be nice, I agree, and I would love Brawl range back, but I also want Wave Cutter back ;__;.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I know. But:

1. Upper Cutter blows it out of the water in utility so no one will use it anyway
2. Wave Cutter's projectile does 15% while Final Cutter's only does 5% so it's not like it's completely redundant
3. Final Cutter is legal in all formats. Unless they like Kirby's neutral staying poor in big tournaments and online, they'd do Kirby a big favor improving its range.

It's a pipe dream but boy would they make Kirby players happy if they did that.
1. I'm sure there are some cases where Wave Cutter would be better.
2. It's still the same general function, just not as good.
3. Sakurai doesn't care about tournaments. If he did, he wouldn't have made customs such a ***** to unlock in the first place.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
While I agree and am aware that Wave Cutter existing makes it very unlikely that Final Cutter will be restored, I don't think the developers don't care about the competitive scene outright because they're re-balancing the cast with updates and likely use tournament results to help with that.

And as for the bit on rebalancing customs, I personally think those were meant more for fun, especially since you can't use them online. (though this could be because of data reasons but who knows) In any case it would be great if they did both: rebalance customs as well as regular moves to make them tournament legal again while improving the movesets of characters that they may have been deprived due to helpful abilities winding up in customs. But I'm not holding my breath on that...

TimG57867

Smash Ace
1. I'm sure there are some cases where Wave Cutter would be better.
2. It's still the same general function, just not as good.
3. Sakurai doesn't care about tournaments. If he did, he wouldn't have made customs such a ***** to unlock in the first place.
I am sure Wave Cutter has its uses but, it's ultimately all moot in the grand scheme of things because customs are too unbalanced for tournaments. Plus there's tons of customs that are redundant with the base moves. Have you seen Falcon's Falcon Punch alternatives? Don't see that as a good reason to leave Kirby deprived. But then again you're probably right about Sakurai not caring enough about them to do something about it. *sigh*

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Wave Cutter's projectile is significantly stronger than Final Cutter's. Wave Cutter would still have a use if Final Cutter got it's range buffed. Heck, they could give Wave Cutter more range too. It's still a pretty bad projectile compared to what other characters have considering its high startup.

All of Kirby's default specials need significant buffs aside from Inhale. Final Cutter would be good if it had less startup, Brawl projectile range, and if it auto-snapped to the ledge on the way up.

It's a shame that customs are pretty much dead competitively. Upper Cutter and Grounding Stone significantly improve Kirby's kit.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The problem is that Wave Cutter is essentially superior to Final Cutter in every way. If Wave Cutter had a weakness, then this wouldn't be a problem.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
The problem is that Wave Cutter is essentially superior to Final Cutter in every way. If Wave Cutter had a weakness, then this wouldn't be a problem.
Wave Cutter's weakness is that it can't be used close range and doesn't spike. Honestly, instead of nerfing Final Cutter they should have just made Wave Cutter even longer. This way, Kirby's base neutral doesn't get compromised and Wave Cutter is still able to distinguish itself.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Wave Cutter's weakness is that it can't be used close range and doesn't spike. Honestly, instead of nerfing Final Cutter they should have just made Wave Cutter even longer. This way, Kirby's base neutral doesn't get compromised and Wave Cutter is still able to distinguish itself.
That would be a nice option. The thing about Wave Cutter is that the projectile starts at the sword, and because Kirby immediately slams down, it pretty much still covers his front. I suppose there's the fact that it doesn't spike, but spiking with Final Cutter is so impractical that it doesn't really count as a weakness, not when Kirby gets a high-damaging, fast projectile in return.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
That would be a nice option. The thing about Wave Cutter is that the projectile starts at the sword, and because Kirby immediately slams down, it pretty much still covers his front. I suppose there's the fact that it doesn't spike, but spiking with Final Cutter is so impractical that it doesn't really count as a weakness, not when Kirby gets a high-damaging, fast projectile in return.
But thanks to the rise and falling hitboxes, it can knock opponents out of the air. Also Final Cutter is better at close range as it has a chance to hit your opponent before you get in the air. With Wave Cutter, if you take off with them right next to you, they can shield until you land in front of them and punish you. And in any case, whether or not Final Cutter is worse isn't the point. What matters is that Wave Cutter being stronger while not having hitboxes on the sword itself makes the two moves unique enough to justify Final Cutter's projectile being longer. You could either have a powerful projectile or a tool that's nice for spacing and zoning overall. I don't think customs need to neccessarily have a "weakness" per say. They can indeed ultimately be better objectively. They just have to not be able to do exactly what the base move does and more.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
But thanks to the rise and falling hitboxes, it can knock opponents out of the air. Also Final Cutter is better at close range as it has a chance to hit your opponent before you get in the air. With Wave Cutter, if you take off with them right next to you, they can shield until you land in front of them and punish you. And in any case, whether or not Final Cutter is worse isn't the point. What matters is that Wave Cutter being stronger while not having hitboxes on the sword itself makes the two moves unique enough to justify Final Cutter's projectile being longer. You could either have a powerful projectile or a tool that's nice for spacing and zoning overall. I don't think customs need to neccessarily have a "weakness" per say. They can indeed ultimately be better objectively. They just have to not be able to do exactly what the base move does and more.
That would defeat the purpose of a custom move, because there would be no reason to not chose it, as shown by customs like Gust Cape, Guardian Luma, Furious Eruption, etc. all the custom moves that are straight improvements of the original.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
That would defeat the purpose of a custom move, because there would be no reason to not chose it, as shown by customs like Gust Cape, Guardian Luma, Furious Eruption, etc. all the custom moves that are straight improvements of the original.
No. All customs moves are improvements in a RESPECT. You have to give something up. They may become more useful as a whole but they have to give something up or include more risk. Gust Cape deals less damage on the cape itself, Guardian Luma doesn't protect you from behind, and Furious Eruption does even more recoil. In practice it doesn't mean much for some but technically you gave something up. They didn't need to decrease Final Cutter's vertical distance to justify making Upper Cutter despite its lack of a projectile. It became better just by focusing in one area and giving the other up. They could have bypassed this entire issue by just making Wave Cutter even longer than the Brawl cutter instead shortening Final Cutter. That way, Final Cutter could stand as the balance between close and long range with with Wave and Upper Cutter excelling in an extreme while forgoing the other end of the spectrum entirely. They'd become more useful without making Final Cutter redundant while also leaving its old function intact.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
No. All customs moves are improvements in a RESPECT. You have to give something up. They may become more useful as a whole but they have to give something up or include more risk. Gust Cape deals less damage on the cape itself, Guardian Luma doesn't protect you from behind, and Furious Eruption does even more recoil. In practice it doesn't mean much for some but technically you gave something up. They didn't need to decrease Final Cutter's vertical distance to justify making Upper Cutter despite its lack of a projectile. It became better just by focusing in one area and giving the other up. They could have bypassed this entire issue by just making Wave Cutter even longer than the Brawl cutter instead shortening Final Cutter. That way, Final Cutter could stand as the balance between close and long range with with Wave and Upper Cutter excelling in an extreme while forgoing the other end of the spectrum entirely. They'd become more useful without making Final Cutter redundant while also leaving its old function intact.
Again, the reward factor is much greater than the risk. In a practical sense, they're straight improvements. You don't use Cape for the 7% that could be easily be achieved with a neutral air, you don't use Gravitational Pull to absorb projectiles behind you when you can just B-reverse it, you don't use Eruption for the fully charged, self-destructive state, and you don't use Final Cutter for the impractical spike that you most likely won't land without killing yourself as well. It's not truly giving something up, if you don't use it.
I agree that buffing Wave Cutter would've been a better idea than nerfing Final, although when you think about it, Wave Cutter would still be rather vastly superior, because the projectile would still go farther than Final's, it would still do more damage, and to top it all off, it would go higher. It would also diminish the use of Upper Cutter, though, but Upper is a little bit too good.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Suddenly a lot of replies. I only read part of the OP and then kind of glossed over because it's really long, sorry. Wave Cutter sux imo. Upper Cutter is so much better than everything else that it's crazy.

Are we talking about buffing Final Cutter? If so, it doesn't even need a range increase. Just quicken the startup, and lower the endlag, and suddenly the move is extremely viable. It's borderline usable as it is, it just needs a little push, kind of like what they did to Inhale already. With just a little buff, Hammer will become Kirby's only truly bad special move! And even that has uses, if you get a shield break, or you're in doubles, or something >_>

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Again, the reward factor is much greater than the risk. In a practical sense, they're straight improvements. You don't use Cape for the 7% that could be easily be achieved with a neutral air, you don't use Gravitational Pull to absorb projectiles behind you when you can just B-reverse it, you don't use Eruption for the fully charged, self-destructive state, and you don't use Final Cutter for the impractical spike that you most likely won't land without killing yourself as well. It's not truly giving something up, if you don't use it.
I agree that buffing Wave Cutter would've been a better idea than nerfing Final, although when you think about it, Wave Cutter would still be rather vastly superior, because the projectile would still go farther than Final's, it would still do more damage, and to top it all off, it would go higher. It would also diminish the use of Upper Cutter, though, but Upper is a little bit too good.
I already acknowledged that most custom moves end up being more useful despite their "drawbacks". The "drawbacks" are just a way of making the moves technically unique. Yes Wave Cutter and Upper Cutter would be better, but at the end of the day, they're CUSTOMS which Kirby won't have access to in tournaments in the forseeable future. It would have been nice having a move in Kirby's standard moveset that's viable in regular tournaments while also having the option to get rid of it for better moves in custom tournaments. Nerfing Final Cutter to make Wave Cutter just seemed unnecessary when they could have just given Wave Cutter even more range. Give us better options, but don't make our base ones WORSE. That's all I'm saying.:)

Suddenly a lot of replies. I only read part of the OP and then kind of glossed over because it's really long, sorry. Wave Cutter sux imo. Upper Cutter is so much better than everything else that it's crazy.

Are we talking about buffing Final Cutter? If so, it doesn't even need a range increase. Just quicken the startup, and lower the endlag, and suddenly the move is extremely viable. It's borderline usable as it is, it just needs a little push, kind of like what they did to Inhale already. With just a little buff, Hammer will become Kirby's only truly bad special move! And even that has uses, if you get a shield break, or you're in doubles, or something >_>
In regards to Upper Cutter, I was pretty much saying that the whole time. While Wave Cutter probably is better than Final Cutter (which can be argued) Upper Cutter makes them both look like jokes. Which makes Final Cutter getting nerfed all the more infuriating in practice. :p

I also agree that less startup and endlag would make it more useful than getting more range. But then again, why not do both? I mean with stuff like Sheik's needles, R.O.B's lasers, Samus's charge shots, and Luigi fireballs in the game, Kirby getting a projectile with decent range and frame data doesn't seem to irrational. Especially given his small range. :smirk:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Final Cutter's spike is the clutchest thing ever

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I don't care how impractical the spike is. The move just needs to be fixed....

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I mostly use Final Cutter as a mixup anti air on opponents way above me if I can't reach them without over-committing, like DDD for example. It's good for opponents who are very full hop aerial happy (like Marth's FH fair) but other than that I can't seem to think of any other practical uses for it.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I mostly use Final Cutter as a mixup anti air on opponents way above me if I can't reach them without over-committing, like DDD for example. It's good for opponents who are very full hop aerial happy (like Marth's FH fair) but other than that I can't seem to think of any other practical uses for it.
As it currently is, that's all it's good for and it's not that effective due to the startup. But if it had less startup and endlag along with a longer projectile, it could make for an even better spacing tool that can beat disjoints, a combo breaker, answer to projectiles, a possible landing option, and an approaching tool. This move could a valuable part of Kirby's moveset if they fixed it...

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
As it currently is, that's all it's good for and it's not that effective due to the startup. But if it had less startup and endlag along with a longer projectile, it could make for an even better spacing tool that can beat disjoints, a combo breaker, answer to projectiles, a possible landing option, and an approaching tool. This move could a valuable part of Kirby's moveset if they fixed it...
I'd be all for it, it'd make swordsmen MUs actually fun. Lol

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Thread Bump:

Okay, so with our Up Throw now a proper kill throw, Kirby's killing problem is for the most part solved. However, I think many would agree that while he gets more award for getting in now, actually getting in is still a challenge for him and I still feel fixing Final Cutter would give him a decent option to use in neutral. So with Final Cutter being one of the few completely dysfunctional moves left in his repertoire, I'd like to hear what suggestions if any you guys would have for making it a competent special. I personally would:

1. Cut startup to frame 5-14
2. Shave 4-6 frames off the endlag
3. Double the projectile's distance to match Brawl's
4. Adjust the knockback in the hits so that it 3 hit combos reliable on stage.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Dash attack is also a potential burst movement option with the right buffs to it's start up and launch angle. But it being 12 frames, bad angle, pitiful damage output, and being super easy to fall out of without having to even SDI prevents it from being useful.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Tim, I think it's about time to stop beating the dead horse :p
Final Cutter has always been designed to be bad, even in the games where it was better. It is amusingly good in 64, as I've seen plenty of true combos into Final Cutter spikes, but almost everything on every character is good in that game. Final Cutter pretty much sucks in every Smash game, and they're in no rush to fix it.

The bad: of all the UpBs in the game that have a damaging hitbox, Kirby's comes out 4th slowest, after Sheik, Lucario, and Dedede, and those ones are kind of special cases compared to Kirby's. Cloud's UpB is essentially the same as Kirby's, but with a 7 frame startup compared to 23 frames, making it a decent out of shield option. FC is very reactable and punishable in neutral, and too slow to extend most combos.

The good: Fthrow->Final Cutter is a true combo on (probably?) every character after Fthrow->Fair stops working, and since FC does as much damage as Fair, that means Kirby gets impressive damage out of his throws at just about any percent. In addition, using Final Cutter on the ledge is a decent mixup to get defenders off the ledge, provided you don't use it too predictably, and they're not just sitting in shield where they can easily punish your regrab. Lastly, Final Cutter is somewhat usable on opponents that are trying to land, as long as your spacing and timing are perfect. If you do it right, they'll be hit by at least one part of the move, or at worst, they'll be forced to airdodge into the ground, and hopefully your Final Cutter lag will be over in time to punish their airdodge lag with a grab or jab. If they've burned their double jump, and their air mobility isn't too crazy, this can be a decent landing trap. Kirby's aerials suffer from lack of disjoint, but Final Cutter's disjointed hitbox is large enough that pretty much every character will have trouble beating it out. Obviously, it would be better if the startup was faster, but yeah...

Anyway, at least the move has some use in a 1v1 environment, unlike Hammer Flip, which is basically an "if I hit you with this, it means I'm better than you and should win anyway" move. I'm not expecting it to get any buffs.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Tim, I think it's about time to stop beating the dead horse :p
Final Cutter has always been designed to be bad, even in the games where it was better. It is amusingly good in 64, as I've seen plenty of true combos into Final Cutter spikes, but almost everything on every character is good in that game. Final Cutter pretty much sucks in every Smash game, and they're in no rush to fix it.

The bad: of all the UpBs in the game that have a damaging hitbox, Kirby's comes out 4th slowest, after Sheik, Lucario, and Dedede, and those ones are kind of special cases compared to Kirby's. Cloud's UpB is essentially the same as Kirby's, but with a 7 frame startup compared to 23 frames, making it a decent out of shield option. FC is very reactable and punishable in neutral, and too slow to extend most combos.

The good: Fthrow->Final Cutter is a true combo on (probably?) every character after Fthrow->Fair stops working, and since FC does as much damage as Fair, that means Kirby gets impressive damage out of his throws at just about any percent. In addition, using Final Cutter on the ledge is a decent mixup to get defenders off the ledge, provided you don't use it too predictably, and they're not just sitting in shield where they can easily punish your regrab. Lastly, Final Cutter is somewhat usable on opponents that are trying to land, as long as your spacing and timing are perfect. If you do it right, they'll be hit by at least one part of the move, or at worst, they'll be forced to airdodge into the ground, and hopefully your Final Cutter lag will be over in time to punish their airdodge lag with a grab or jab. If they've burned their double jump, and their air mobility isn't too crazy, this can be a decent landing trap. Kirby's aerials suffer from lack of disjoint, but Final Cutter's disjointed hitbox is large enough that pretty much every character will have trouble beating it out. Obviously, it would be better if the startup was faster, but yeah...

Anyway, at least the move has some use in a 1v1 environment, unlike Hammer Flip, which is basically an "if I hit you with this, it means I'm better than you and should win anyway" move. I'm not expecting it to get any buffs.
I don't have my hopes up either but that won't stop me from trying. =P Amongst all the problems Kirby still has it's probably the biggest elephant in the room next to his slow aerials and air speed. It would have been cool if it could make up for its poor use as a recovery by being a useful tool in neutral. But hey! At least we got customs...oh wait.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I found some pretty useful uses for Final cutter, like sending an enemy offstage on battlefield, jumping back and reversing UP-B over the platform to hit them by surprise with the windwave as they recover high, I also use it to two frame certain characters by surprise. It is an useful move as long as you have great mindgames to go along with your use of it and I incorporate it to my game a fair bunch.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I found some pretty useful uses for Final cutter, like sending an enemy offstage on battlefield, jumping back and reversing UP-B over the platform to hit them by surprise with the windwave as they recover high, I also use it to two frame certain characters by surprise. It is an useful move as long as you have great mindgames to go along with your use of it and I incorporate it to my game a fair bunch.
Oh don't get me wrong. It does have its uses as I made clear in the OP and I've certainly gotten good use out of it. But I still feel it could be SO much better. Less startup or endlag? Armor on startup? More range on the projectile? Anything would help a lot.

Top Bottom