• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final 3DS Online Tournament #4 Nov. 15th 1PM EST/ 10AM PST

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Last tournament went great! 83 people came out and it went significantly smoother and faster with the losers bracket absent. I will be hosting my final 3DS tournament, at least for a while, due to the Wii U version coming out the next week. Once SSB4 U is released I will host weekly tournaments for that game instead. Lets go out with a bang!

Rules:
  • 3 stocks
  • 8 minutes
  • Best 3 out of 5
  • single elimination
  • no equipment
  • no custom fighters
  • no items
Stages: You can choose to ban/counter pick/strike if both you and your opponent agree to do so.
  • omega's
  • final destination
  • battlefield
  • yoshi's Island
  • tomodachi life
Communication:

My Twitch channel will be used for communicating with your opponent to exchange codes, etcetera.http://www.twitch.tv/distantkingdom

Challonge Sign Up Link:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/pSfRa1ud0K

Challonge Bracket:
http://challonge.com/dklast3dstour

Sign-In:

Sign ins begin at 11:00 am EST/ 8:00 am PST, which is 2 hours before the tournament begins. It is crucial that you sign in otherwise you will be disqualified. I offer a 20 minute grace period for people that are late but after that time we will unfortunately have to move on without you.

*To sign in just click the challonge bracket link and there will be a big blue button that prompts you to sign in.

Last edited:

Grobby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4716-9955
Hope I do better this time around.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
I'm in! I'll try to pass the first round this time :)

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
So is it 8am PST or 10am PST?
It starts at 10:00 AM PST but check ins are open 2 hours earlier. You have to check in otherwise you will be DQ'd. I give people 20 extra minutes, after that we have to move on without the people that have not checked in.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I'll enter :3 Hopefully I don't get owned in the first roung >.>

Dak Dynamite

Smash Rookie
Last chance for redemption! I look forward to meeting you in bracket, Jerm. It's going to be a while before I get a Wii U (and college finals season is approaching fast), so this will be the last time we get to play each other until the new year.

Let's make it a great tournament, everybody, and a big thanks to Jerm for making all of this possible.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Stages: You can choose to ban/counter pick/strike if both you and your opponent agree to do so.
Would like a rule clarification here if possible. Does this mean if I want to strike stages to pick a starter but my opponent doesn't, the default rule is that we just go to a random starter? That's pretty anti-competitive and will likely also just end up with both players manually picking their best starter stage with no way to verify that it wasn't random. And same for counter-picking, if I lose the first game and want to counter-pick but my opponent doesn't want to adhere to that system they can just choose their best stage again?

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Would like a rule clarification here if possible. Does this mean if I want to strike stages to pick a starter but my opponent doesn't, the default rule is that we just go to a random starter? That's pretty anti-competitive and will likely also just end up with both players manually picking their best starter stage with no way to verify that it wasn't random. And same for counter-picking, if I lose the first game and want to counter-pick but my opponent doesn't want to adhere to that system they can just choose their best stage again?
Well if you were to lose a game the stage choice is up to you because it is your turn to pick the stage. I'm just testing this whole thing out to get it ready to fully implement in my Wii U tournaments. I don't take the stage selection on the 3DS too seriously because lets be honest the best levels are the omega's and battlefield. You can strike tho if your opponent chooses a stage you are not wanting to play on.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well if you were to lose a game the stage choice is up to you because it is your turn to pick the stage. I'm just testing this whole thing out to get it ready to fully implement in my Wii U tournaments. I don't take the stage selection on the 3DS too seriously because lets be honest the best levels are the omega's and battlefield. You can strike tho if your opponent chooses a stage you are not wanting to play on.
Okay that's fine. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't like, if one player says they want to go random then they can pick FD and the other player is stuck with that even though they would have struck it away. In general striking should be the default rule and if both players agree to just go random that's always fine.

Also, for future WiiU tournaments you may want to consider having FD equivalent to Omegas for the purpose of striking/banning. If a match-up is significantly affected by playing on FD, having essentially two FD stages will guarantee a strong counter-pick stage for the character who benefits from it if the other player bans either one, rendering banning useless. Even with a large stage list and two stage bans (a likely initial ruleset for WiiU at this point) this means a player whose character has a disadvantage on FD has to basically ban it twice and cannot also ban for preference.

Just some food for thought.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Okay that's fine. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't like, if one player says they want to go random then they can pick FD and the other player is stuck with that even though they would have struck it away. In general striking should be the default rule and if both players agree to just go random that's always fine.

Also, for future WiiU tournaments you may want to consider having FD equivalent to Omegas for the purpose of striking/banning. If a match-up is significantly affected by playing on FD, having essentially two FD stages will guarantee a strong counter-pick stage for the character who benefits from it if the other player bans either one, rendering banning useless. Even with a large stage list and two stage bans (a likely initial ruleset for WiiU at this point) this means a player whose character has a disadvantage on FD has to basically ban it twice and cannot also ban for preference.

Just some food for thought.
That is an excellent point and I will most definitely take that into consideration when designing how stages should be chosen in my upcoming tournaments.

Edit: Signups are underway!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom