• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Figuring out a secondary

UconnScrub

Smash Rookie
NNID
GamingJack247
So long story short, I settled on Link as my main for this game as I have the most fun playing him and I feel as though I do really well with him overall. That being said, occasionally I get bored of playing Link so now I'm trying to find a secondary to work on as well. I have tried Mario and Marth in the past (both being former Melee mains) and I just don't seem to enjoy them as much. Also I would rather have this character help cover some of Link's bad MU's a little better (i.e. fighting spacies with Link is significantly harder now due to changes with U-Tilt and U-Smash.) Any suggestions?

jimmy-boy

Smash Cadet
Depends on what playstyle you prefer. Are you more strategic with your moves or do you just go with the flow and create combos as you see fit?

UconnScrub

Smash Rookie
NNID
GamingJack247
Depends on what playstyle you prefer. Are you more strategic with your moves or do you just go with the flow and create combos as you see fit?
I guess the best way to describe how I play is that I try and play safe and look for openings and then go in. I'm usually trying to mix up my combos but most things with Link are "If X works, then you should do Y after"

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Im interested in the follow up answer so i'll chime in. I'm want to play a good strategic character.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You are better off asking is the Link forums for this kind of question.

but generally you want a secondary to cover your bad MUs.

jimmy-boy

Smash Cadet
Well I have much personal experience playing against my friend who is a samus main. He likes samus because he prefers playing with strategic moves rather than with say Fox who runs all over the place. If you like strategic playing I would recommend trying samus out. His samus plays well against my fox and falco too, but that may just be me.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
He likes samus because he prefers playing with strategic moves rather than with say Fox who runs all over the place. If you like strategic playing I would recommend trying samus out.
There are sooooo many ways to play fox. Look at Armada, who plays defensively and "Strategically" with fox. But real talk, every character and every [successful] playstyle involves strategy. Some more obvious than others.

I do recommend fox/falco/wolf because you specifically struggle against them. By playing as them, you'll have an easier time beating them with your main (You know what to look for, what their goals are, etc.) and it'll probably speed up your fingers and whatnot. Plus spacies are fun.

Top Bottom