• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game rep. General Support Thread

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
The Cause
Ever since Ryu's inclusion in Smash 4, fighting game fans have been treated well; the mechanics of Ryu, Ken, and Terry's home series' have been translated incredibly faithfully, and Street Fighter and The King of Fighters have some of the most comprehensive representation by Spirits and music of any series. However, fans of other characters in these series -- and of other fighting game series entirely -- also want a piece of the action.

Not every fighting game character has enough support to populate their own thread, so I'm posting this thread to give a location for general discussion.

Here, you can post about:
- Fighting game characters that do not have their own support thread.
- Fighting game characters that do have their own support thread.
- Characters from games that are only sort of fighting games, such as ARMS or For Honor.
- Characters from Smashalikes, such as Rivals of Aether

However, you should not post about:
- Characters that are not from fighting games
- Characters that have been in fighting games, but are not from fighting games, like Negan, 2B, or Vergil
- Characters that have crossed over with fighting games, but are not from fighting games, like Asura
- Characters from fighting games that are based on non-video game franchises, like Android 21

Hopefully this thread provides some exposure for some of the lesser-talked about fighting game characters with Smash Brothers prospects.

Happy Posting!
Crossover.jpg

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Alright, I'd better get a discussion started so that this thread doesn't get buried right away.

Fighting Game characters are unique in Smash Brothers because a huge effort is made to translate the mechanics of their home series into Smash 1:1 -- making for characters that don't play like any other. How would you implement the mechanics of your favorite FG rep's home series in Smash? What would you adapt, what would you leave out? If your favorite FG rep is from a series already in the game, how do you set them apart from the other reps of that series, mechanically?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Alright, this is a bit... questionable, but how do Persona 4 Arena characters work? Can we talk about them or no?

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Alright, this is a bit... questionable, but how do Persona 4 Arena characters work? Can we talk about them or no?
Idk honestly. If you wanna talk about non-FG characters, but within the frame of reference of an FG (for example, Vergil with a moveset and mechanics based on MvC3, as opposed to devil may cry), you can.

I'm not about to try and shut people up if they wanna talk about stuff like Adroid 21 either -- just don't go start clamoring for Shaq or something

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I want Q-Bee just because i want some sort of bug-themed character in smash.

(Though i know that she's a "never ever", there are way better picks even in her own franchise)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I'd love to see any of the forgotten 90s fighting game franchise characters to show up as a surprise.

-Clay Fighters
-Saturday Night Slam Masters
-World Heroes
-Primal Rage
-Brutal Paws of Fury

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Alright, I'd better get a discussion started so that this thread doesn't get buried right away.

Fighting Game characters are unique in Smash Brothers because a huge effort is made to translate the mechanics of their home series into Smash 1:1 -- making for characters that don't play like any other. How would you implement the mechanics of your favorite FG rep's home series in Smash? What would you adapt, what would you leave out? If your favorite FG rep is from a series already in the game, how do you set them apart from the other reps of that series, mechanically?
Since he’s from a 3D fighter, Nightmare’s translation into Smash might not be completely 1:1, but I think they can still get the soul of the character in Smash.

I think the unique mechanic for Nightmare should be stances. Like Terry, he would have a front special and a back special, but instead of being attacks, Nightmare enter a stances, with forward special putting Nightmare in the “Knight Side” stance and back special into “Knight Behind” stance.

He can move back and forward while in stance mode, but cannot dash while in a stance. Jumping, shielding, grabbing, getting hit, or attacking will exit Nightmare from the stance. While in stances, Nightmare can preform a neutral attack, a forward attack, a down attack, and an up attack, which will all be different from his regular moves while not in that specific stance.

Essentially the stances give Nightmare an arsenal of tilts and jabs to choose from. An attack from when he’s not in stance, a different attack from when he’s in Knight Side stance, and another different attack when in Knight Behind stance.

This would make him a rather technical character than most in Smash Bros, but he would be different than the other fighting game characters since his technique is not based on inputs.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think Heihachi coming with Tekken mechanics would really spice up how you control a Smash character, he would bring a lot of unique mechanics to Smash like juggling, limb chains, or the rage drive. This video is still my favorite moveset idea for Heihachi and it's how I hope he looks like when he gets in.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I think Heihachi coming with Tekken mechanics would really spice up how you control a Smash character, he would bring a lot of unique mechanics to Smash like juggling, limb chains, or the rage drive. This video is still my favorite moveset idea for Heihachi and it's how I hope he looks like when he gets in.
Feliciafan has the best moveset vids for pretty much every FG character lol.

In any case, Heihachi is a character I'm on the fence about. He certainly deserves it -- being one of the faces of the arena fighter subgenre -- but since his home series is so much more of a departure from Smash than say, SF of KoF, they'd have to change a lot more about him to get him to fit into Smash. The end result would still be Heihachi in smash -- but I don't know how much of 'Heihachi' would be left after the transition; he might be missing that special feeling the other FG reps have.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You already know what I'm about. I'd gladly support many fighting game franchises into Smash. Though just like last time, I'm mostly hoping a character from Tekken is one that makes it in. Jin Kazama was the first main I ever had in any game series, so that's my top pick. But I can't say I would still be interested in Heihachi or Kazuya as well. In general, Tekken's music tracks are also pretty great. Especially 2, 3, Tag 1, 4 and 5.

There's other series I like as well, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur and Killer Instinct would have some really fun characters, stages and music. I think I've warmed up to the idea of Sol or Morrigan as well, but aren't my top choices. I'll keep my eyes on this thread, since there's some cool idea I'm sure will pop up.

Theres boutta be a fight.gif

If we can have 20 something RPG nerds, we can get more cool ass fighting game characters.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm

I wonder why there are no Street Fighter Mii costumes? Mega man got like 5 that are all pretty much the same -- you'd think they'd at least do Mii costume for the most iconic SF characters like Zangief and Bison.

Do you think they could be coming with a future capcom character, or are they just non happening?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hmmm

I wonder why there are no Street Fighter Mii costumes? Mega man got like 5 that are all pretty much the same -- you'd think they'd at least do Mii costume for the most iconic SF characters like Zangief and Bison.

Do you think they could be coming with a future capcom character, or are they just non happening?
Yeah, you'd think Bison would get in like Iori. Mega Man managed to get 4 of them, BUT MMX, Zero, Protoman, and MM.EXE were all in the previous game as Mii costume. Because of this, it's hard to say if we're getting new ones. I could get that Zangief wouldn't happen, I don't think many Mii costumes have a ton of skin showing. Since it might conflict with customization. But I could be wrong on that.

Blanka could make for a good Mii costume. Guy and Cody could be cool too, though I guess their more secondary SF characters since they started in Final Fight.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Yeah, you'd think Bison would get in like Iori. Mega Man managed to get 4 of them, BUT MMX, Zero, Protoman, and MM.EXE were all in the previous game as Mii costume. Because of this, it's hard to say if we're getting new ones. I could get that Zangief wouldn't happen, I don't think many Mii costumes have a ton of skin showing. Since it might conflict with customization. But I could be wrong on that.

Blanka could make for a good Mii costume. Guy and Cody could be cool too, though I guess their more secondary SF characters since they started in Final Fight.
Mike Haggar mii costume with a Final Fight track that can play on Suzaku castle.

Or hell, just Mike haggar for smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mike Haggar mii costume with a Final Fight track that can play on Suzaku castle.

Or hell, just Mike haggar for smash.
I'd be more willing to try out Incineroar's moveset if it was on Haggar.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Count me in as one of the supporters!

As for SF costumes, a Chun-Li one would be nice.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support more Fighting Game Characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate Sign Me Up :D
My most characters are
Lord Raptor,Sasquatch,Rikuo,Victor(Darkstalkers)
Sol Badguy,Faust,Slayer(Guilty Gear)
Hakan,G,Rashid,Menat,Alex,Gill,Dudley,Cody,Necro(Street Fighter)
Tam Tam,Cham Cham,Siegar,Kyoshiro,Sugoroku,Genjuro (Samurai Shodown)
Rugal,Duck King,Tizoc/King Of Dinosaurs,Momoko,Oswald,Benimaru,Orochi,Kula Diamond,Sylvie(King Of Fighters)
Ragna The Bloodedge,Platinum The Trinity(BlazBlue)

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I voted for Khameleon on the official smash poll (not mine). She was playable with a cheat code on the 64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and a playable character on the wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Every other version had a guy Chameleon. She has the powers of Kitana, Malina, and Jade and Tanya in Armageddon. Maybe she can give her some of Scarlets power if she makes it in Smash. No? Too bloody.
1615405720982.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I voted for Khameleon on the official smash poll (not mine). She was playable with a cheat code on the 64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and a playable character on the wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Every other version had a guy Chameleon. She has the powers of Kitana, Malina, and Jade and Tanya in Armageddon. Maybe she can give her some of Scarlets power if she makes it in Smash. No? Too bloody.
View attachment 306658
Considering 2D MKs give each fighter the same normals, and those normals don't even have different properties like Pythra, I do wonder that if an MK rep got in, they'd try to make as many Kombatants as possible playable, even if they cut corners in the modeling department and just make male/female ninja models.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Considering 2D MKs give each fighter the same normals, and those normals don't even have different properties like Pythra, I do wonder that if an MK rep got in, they'd try to make as many Kombatants as possible playable, even if they cut corners in the modeling department and just make male/female ninja models.
Good idea. I think I remember Jade using her staff in some of her moves though. I think it was just one normal. I'm not sure I don't have the game anymore.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it was just one normal.
She uses it in her throw and a dial-a Kombo. I already assumed the different Kombatants would retain their unique Kombos (which would either be a universal side-B or activated if you press A while extremely close), but not sure how throws would be handled.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
She uses it in her throw and a dial-a Kombo. I already assumed the different Kombatants would retain their unique Kombos (which would either be a universal side-B or activated if you press A while extremely close), but not sure how throws would be handled.
Yeah they need their unique throws from Trilogy. Just my opinion

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
To me this’d be the perfect fighting game representation for Smash, but I feel as though that a lot of people would disagree with me.

1625211155470.jpeg

Scorpion - Most people will probably agree with this one. Comes from one of the most iconic fighting games in gaming history, and has a good enough history with Nintendo to pass going way back to the SNES and even the Gameboy. Plus with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat being the biggest rivals in the genre, seeing Scorpion vs Ryu would certainly generate a lot of excitement.

Fulgore - Certainly nowhere near as popular as Mortal Kombat, but Killer Instinct’s roots and legacy with Nintendo makes for one of its characters (most logically Fulgore, since he’s the posterboy) a really worthy and logical pick, given that it even used to be owned by the big N, back in the day and had memorable games on the SNES, N64 and the Gameboy.

Urban Champion - A game that people like to bash on, but as not just an iconic NES Black Box title but most importantly as Nintendo’s first fighting game and even one of the first in the genre, I think it deserves a spot on the roster. The champ could have a pretty creative/wacky moveset too, which would make him all the more fitting for a zany cartoony game like Smash.

Bad Mr. Frosty - comes from the cult classic fighting game series Clayfighter, and while a bit niche it has pretty good Nintendo history, given that all of its games were released on Nintendo consoles, some of them were even exclusive. Plus come on, who wouldn’t want a giant badass snowman in Smash??? That aspect would also warrant some variety among the representation of the fighting game genre, since most characters are human-humanoid.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
To me this’d be the perfect fighting game representation for Smash, but I feel as though that a lot of people would disagree with me.

View attachment 321407

Scorpion - Most people will probably agree with this one. Comes from one of the most iconic fighting games in gaming history, and has a good enough history with Nintendo to pass going way back to the SNES and even the Gameboy. Plus with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat being the biggest rivals in the genre, seeing Scorpion vs Ryu would certainly generate a lot of excitement.

Fulgore - Certainly nowhere near as popular as Mortal Kombat, but Killer Instinct’s roots and legacy with Nintendo makes for one of its characters (most logically Fulgore, since he’s the posterboy) a really worthy and logical pick, given that it even used to be owned by the big N, back in the day and had memorable games on the SNES, N64 and the Gameboy.

Urban Champion - A game that people like to bash on, but as not just an iconic NES Black Box title but most importantly as Nintendo’s first fighting game and even one of the first in the genre, I think it deserves a spot on the roster. The champ could have a pretty creative/wacky moveset too, which would make him all the more fitting for a zany cartoony game like Smash.

Bad Mr. Frosty - comes from the cult classic fighting game series Clayfighter, and while a bit niche it has pretty good Nintendo history, given that all of its games were released on Nintendo consoles, some of them were even exclusive. Plus come on, who wouldn’t want a giant badass snowman in Smash??? That aspect would also warrant some variety among the representation of the fighting game genre, since most characters are human-humanoid.
I was joking before but i would actually **** myself if they added clay fighter to smash, i actually put bad mr frosty on a smash ballot vote back in the day LOL

toonito

Smash Ace
here are my tier 1 FG character picks for Smash (bold are new to Smash) IMO these are the must haves if Smash has become a museum/celebration of gaming:
Ryu (SF)
Chun-Li (SF)
Kazuya (T)
Scorpion (MK)
Sol Badguy (GG)
Terry Bogard (FF/KOF)

here are my tier 2 FG character picks in Smash:
Nightmare (SC)
Morrigan (DS)
Nakoruru (SS)
Elena (SF): unique in that not many characters in general who only use their feet for fighting
Guile (SF): FG character who only utilizes charge inputs as opposed to motion inputs
Geese Howard (FF/KOF)
Rock Howard (FF/KOF): If Sakurai ever decides to formally introduce the concept of hybrid fighters, Rock would be an ideal choice since he uses moves from Geese and Terry.

Top Bottom