• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting D3

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
So I went to my first tournament recently, and got absolutely destroyed by a Dedede player. I know he's Lucario's worst matchup, but I had underestimated the strength of his chaingrab and got 3-stocked twice (lol noob).

So I want to get better and actually stand a chance in this matchup. I tried basically everything I could think of during the match and it would always result in me getting chaingrabbed, so any and all advice is helpful.

Finally, I've already looked at the matchup thread, which unfortunately assumes that you know what the heck you're doing in the first place (which I don't. Remember: 3-stocked twice).

:phone:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Assume that D3 will powershield every one of your AS or blocks you with a Waddle. If you're behind you're forced to approach, which is putting you in between a rock and a hard place.

If people play like the passive-aggressive way Atomsk does with D3... Oh god.

Know your mixups, know your strings, don't mindlessly spam AS and FSmash. Use AS to punish landings and reads.

Smart D3s of today will try to bait you into stuff, by standing in mid range, then jumping in when it is favorable to them.

Remember BAir is D3's best air attack and all D3 will try to abuse it, don't challenge it with FAir/NAir unless you need to to recover or you are the exact distance to hit him without hitting you. Some of them will try to trap you into thinking they'll use BAir all the time, but be aware of all of D3's options...
Even the best of us get FSmash hammered or Gordo'd.

Spamming DAir above him is a terrible idea because of his BAir/UAir/UTilt. Admittedly, DAir is nice if you can force a shieldpoke.

WATCH OUT FOR HIM LANDING TO UTILT.

If you eat away his shield though, he's basically like saying to you "combo me". Save that second jump for when you need it! To retreat, to recover, to combo, to not get gimped.

Stay away from the edge when you can. All it takes is one well timed BAir offstage to gimp us.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You have to know how to approach D3, the key to getting damage on one is knowing what they'll try to grab/overextend for. D3's grab is really big, but if you know how to cross up on him constantly and do your mixups/play smart, and space juuuuuuust right, you can bait it out, and punish the lag. You just have to respect D3's stuff at all times unless you're like juggling him or something lol, even then you have to be careful of SH FF AD or some other stuff. If you cross up on one, the only things D3 can do if you're using quick, non-laggy attacks is bair out of shield, or spotdodge, and most will try to turn around with the spotdodge. If he does that, usually the best option is to get out immediately, and reset

tbh, I feel both are really bad at outcamping the other, and while we technically outcamp waddles, our AS is way too easy to shield to force an approach, so you usually have to get the lead to force the approach.

Also, learn to DI bair, this is so important. If you know how to, and recover well, you may take a lot of damage, but you won't get gimped (not until you're in kill percent anyways)

if he's ftilting your AS, you can strutterstep fsmash it if you get the timing, or if you're close enough and blocked it, you can just jump out of shield and SH fair, although it's rare a D3 will deliberately use it so close

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Oh and if they like camping with Waddles just beat the waddles up with jabs or tilts. Free move refreshment!

Also if you start reading the D3's waddle throw you can throw Baby Aura Spheres and slightly charged ones under the arc of the Waddle's trajectory and it will hit the penguin.

Although at this point in the metagame I doubt you'll see too many waddle camping D3s.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Play it patiently.

If D3 is jumping in the air try and cover his landing area. Also pay attention to what direction he is facing to know what his options are.

If he shields, mix up your approaches. Your going to fair a lot but understand when it is ok to do something like Fair > Force palm, works well due to D3's size, or Fair Dair, Fair nair, just know what you can do on his shield as a viable cross up.

CG is what makes this MU hard, that and the fact he can kill out of it >_>, play safe from grabs and don't take risks unless you can afford the consequences if it fails.

Top Bottom