• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighters Pass Vol. 2 is the final Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC

SBFighters_Pass_End.jpg

In the latest Famitsu Magazine, Smash Bros. series director Masahiro Sakurai revealed that there are no plans for DLC after the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 comes out for Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Other details can be picked out of the transcription of the article here, including one that explains how the remaining characters were not picked by Sakurai himself. They appear to have been requested by Nintendo directly, which matches how the previous five characters were chosen. It should be noted that Sakurai did have the option to decline a character if he didn’t think he could make them work, but otherwise he allowed Nintendo to make the final call.

It’s not entirely impossible for this to change. At this point, however, we suspect that any characters considered for a third round of DLC will be put on hold for the next installment of Smash Bros. According to Sakurai, nobody currently has any plans for what that might even be. It makes sense not to expect anything until we get new hardware at this point, but we don’t even know where Switch hardware is going in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy Marr

Comments

I have a long list of characters that I wish were in the next game, let alone fighters pass... None of the characters I've wanted have been put in yet... I'm hoping at least 1 character I want gets in, & that's Lara Croft

My guess is that it will be Crash, Steve, Sora, Ryu Hayabusa, and two Nintendo reps. All 6 will come with a “deluxe” Mii costume like Sans or Cuphead.

If they make the money it will probably continue. As we saw fighter pass one seemed to be setup to be one and done, but considered how they mentioned pre sales did so well, that’s likely why we have a second. And could be how we get a third.

There’s still four slots left after all. Still should be a good pass. Predicting geno is in there somewhere

D
For the best I haven't got the Fighters pass myself yet. But If I do I'd want this and probably Banjo & Kazooie. But Masahiro Sakurai deserves a break.

My predictions?

6.: Crash

7.: Geno

8.: Dante

9.: Lloyd

10.: Master Chief

11.: Toxtricity

D
I don't want predictions at this moment. I just want at least one female, that is all.

Here are my 101% predictions which are based on leaks obtained from my dog’s groomer’s brother’s college roommate’s former boss’s accountant:

Spider Man (Spider Gwen echo)
Darth Vader
Micky Mouse (Minnie Mouse echo)
Shrek & Donkey
Spongebob
Goku (Black Goku echo)

Alright, everybody else is doing fighter pass 2 predictions, might as well put in my crazy, off the cuff predictions that'll probably be wrong:

1. Doom Slayer - Stage: Fort DOOM
2. Urshifu - Stage: Something from the Isle of Sword Pokémon DLC. Either that or the Wild Area.
3. Travis Touchdown - Stage: Motel No More Heroes

So, these first three picks I placed in the order I could see them releasing, but my next few picks are admittedly more shaky and I'm less sure of them, so the next three come in no particular order.

4. Geno - Stage: Star Hill
5. Crash Bandicoot - Stage: Iunno I've never played a Crash game, some Crash fan help me out here. Maybe a locale from the N-Sane trilogy.
6. Dream pick: Crono - Stage: Epoch
6 Realistic pick: Lloyd Irving - Stage: Never played a Tales game so no idea.

I feel like Dante from Devil may Cry has a decent shot too, but I'm not sure who he'd replace in the list above so, honorable mention?

D
Alright, everybody else is doing fighter pass 2 predictions, might as well put in my crazy, off the cuff predictions that'll probably be wrong:

1. Doom Slayer - Stage: Fort DOOM
2. Urshifu - Stage: Something from the Isle of Sword Pokémon DLC. Either that or the Wild Area.
3. Travis Touchdown - Stage: Motel No More Heroes

So, these first three picks I placed in the order I could see them releasing, but my next few picks are admittedly more shaky and I'm less sure of them, so the next three come in no particular order.

4. Geno - Stage: Star Hill
5. Crash Bandicoot - Stage: Iunno I've never played a Crash game, some Crash fan help me out here. Maybe a locale from the N-Sane trilogy.
6. Dream pick: Crono - Stage: Epoch
6 Realistic pick: Lloyd Irving - Stage: Never played a Tales game so no idea.

I feel like Dante from Devil may Cry has a decent shot too, but I'm not sure who he'd replace in the list above so, honorable mention?
Honorable mention?

A female character. I'm about to be dogpiled in 3...2...

My predictions:

1. Geno
2. Crash
3. Lloyd
4. Waddle Dee
5. Skull Kid
6. Sora

Other predictions I considered are Dante, Toad, 2B, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, Zero, Paper Mario, Warrior of Light (FF1), Spyro, Isaac.

Either way, I get the feeling they wanna end big on this set so I'm expecting some high profile, high demand characters.

Last edited:
Don't forget guys, that Sakurai confirmed that no character will be represented in Smash. who's original universe is not a video game.
This is why characters like Iron Man or Lara Croft will never make it into the game, despite some of them having other fighting game appearances.

Are we going by likelyhood or by personal preference?
By Personal preference, I would want Phoenix Wright in, but I don't see it as likely.

I think that Dante, Shantae and Lloyd Irving are much more likely.

I think we'll probably see a mix of 3rd and 1st party characters. I wouldn't be surprised by a new Pokemon or Animal Crossing rep, maybe Urshifu? Also wouldn't be surprised by Geno, Waluigi, Isaac, or something like that. I would love to see something like Sora happen but I feel that at least 2 or 3 will be third party characters with closer ties to Nintendo, maybe like Travis Touchdown and a Tales character? Also wouldn't be surprised to see a big past fan favorite like Crash or Spyro. I'm sure there will be some big surprises though, it's been a crazy ride so far.

Last edited:
Don't forget guys, that Sakurai confirmed that no character will be represented in Smash. who's original universe is not a video game.
This is why characters like Iron Man or Lara Croft will never make it into the game, despite some of them having other fighting game appearances.
Who's gonna tell them?

Here are my 101% predictions which are based on leaks obtained from my dog’s groomer’s brother’s college roommate’s former boss’s accountant:

Spider Man (Spider Gwen echo)
Darth Vader
Micky Mouse (Minnie Mouse echo)
Shrek & Donkey
Spongebob
Goku (Black Goku echo)
Oh, You mean Lee! Yeah, hes always got the best info!

I know everyone keeps saying Sora but PLEASE take a moment to consider who owns this character and whether or not you REALLY WANT that unnamed company (that owns like half the world) to own Nintendo as well. They are VERY VERY VERY protective of their property and I, honestly, don't want them ANYWHERE NEAR Smash Bros. Sorry.

Anyways, the only character (yes I know it's another swordsman) I want is Lloyd Irving. The Tales series is one of my most beloved franchises in all of gaming... probably second place only to the Zelda games.

Never played Crash, Doom, Halo, or whatever game Travis is from so they're not very hype for me.

I will be holding out hope for these (in no particular order)
  • Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
  • Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
  • Lilac (Freedom Planet)
  • Tails or Blaze (Sonic)
  • Pete (Harvest Moon)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Last edited:
I know everyone keeps saying Sora but PLEASE take a moment to consider who owns this character and whether or not you REALLY WANT that unnamed company (that owns like half the world) to own Nintendo as well. They are VERY VERY VERY protective of their property and I, honestly, don't want them ANYWHERE NEAR Smash Bros. Sorry.

Anyways, the only character (yes I know it's another swordsman) I want is Lloyd Irving. The Tales series is one of my most beloved franchises in all of gaming... probably second place only to the Zelda games.

Never played Crash, Doom, Halo, or whatever game Travis is from so they're not very hype for me.
There's is absolutely no way that the possibility of Disney buying out Nintendo if they could get Sora into Smash would actually happen, just NO.

There's is absolutely no way that the possibility of Disney buying out Nintendo if they could get Sora into Smash would actually happen, just NO.
Problem is, it wouldn't be just Sora. Sora is from a game that regularly uses all the other (unnamed company's) characters. This has actually been talked about many times by smash youtubers. Like what? They going to have Sora in there and not any other unnamed company's characters? Not even for a final smash, stage background characters, or mii costumes? Not a chance... you get Sora you get the unnamed company, and this unnamed company doesn't play nice with their property. I suggest you go google what all they own and then come back and tell me with a straight face you have no problem with their hands in smash.

Kingdom Hearts... really cool game... unnamed company... NOT COOL in the slightest.

Last edited:
6 - a fan favorite (Crash, Geno, Rayman) or a Pokemon from Sword & Shield
7 - Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat or Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
8 - one of the Mishima's from Tekken
9 - Master Chief from Halo OR Doomslayer from Doom
10 - Goku from Dragon Ball Z
11 - Waluigi from video games

Last edited:
I'll make 2 lists, what I want, & what I think will happen...

WANT
1. Character: Lara Croft
Map: The Lost Valley
'Premium' Mii: Steve (Minecraft, Swordsman)

2. Character: A Mortal Kombat rep from the following-
-Scorpion
-Mileena
-Goro
-Sub Zero
-Fire God Liu Kang
-Liu Kang
-Noob Saibot
-Baraka
Map: Cyber Lin Kuei Assembly
'Premium' Mii: Goro (Mortal Kombat, Brawler)

3. Character: Tracer
Map: Junkenstein's Revenge
'Premium' Mii: Bastion (Overwatch, Gunner)

4. Character: Doom Slayer
Map: Hell. Literal Hell.
'Premium' Mii: Freddy Fazbear (FnaF, Brawler)

5. Character: Spyro (original design with Skylanders design as an alt) OR Crash Bandicoot
Map: Wumpa Islands OR Skylands
'Premium' Mii: Sir Hoodington (Skylanders, Swordfighter)

6. Character: Bea (Pokémon... Theres a thread on the directory, or I think its on there)
Map: Galar (floating platforms travel through cities in galar)
'Premium' Mii: Mega Lucario (Pokémon, Brawler)

THINK
1. Character: Crash Bandicoot
Map: Wumpa Islands
'Premium' Mii: Freddy Fazbear (FnaF, Brawler)

2. Character: Geno
Map: *Insert Map Idea Here*
'Premium' Mii: Doom Slayer (Doom 2016, Gunner)

3. Character: Gen 8 Pokémon
Map: Galar's Wild Area
'Premium' Mii: Shovel Knight (Swordfigher)

4. Character: Master Chief
'Premium' Mii: Shantae (Brawler)

5. Character: Sora
'Premium' Mii: Scout (TF2, Swordfighter)

6. Character: Ring Fit Adventurer
'Premium' Mii: Armor King (Tekken, Brawler)

Honorable mention?

A female character. I'm about to be dogpiled in 3...2...
Why would you be dogpiled? Not sure who would be likely, and I don't personally care if we get another female or not, but it's a fair enough thing to hope for. Nothing wrong with that.

Problem is, it wouldn't be just Sora. Sora is from a game that regularly uses all the other (unnamed company's) characters. This has actually been talked about many times by smash youtubers. Like what? They going to have Sora in there and not any other unnamed company's characters? Not even for a final smash, stage background characters, or mii costumes? Not a chance... you get Sora you get the unnamed company, and this unnamed company doesn't play nice with their property. I suggest you go google what all they own and then come back and tell me with a straight face you have no problem with their hands in smash.

Kingdom Hearts... really cool game... unnamed company... NOT COOL in the slightest.
That 'Unnamed Company', aka the mouse, owns marvel, star wars, universal (at least partly), & I'm sure there's more.
Without that 'Unnamed Company', lot's of popular video games wouldn't even exist. Some would have been less popular...
They won't own anything at Nintendo if Sora, or any Marvel/Star Wars/Eetc got into Smash to any extent, that wouldn't change that at all. Sora could be in, and Darth Vader, The Incredible Hulk, Homer Simpson, & that stupid mouse himself could be Spirits, the 'Mickey Mouse Clubhouse' theme could be a track, and goofy's hat could be a Mii hat. It wouldn't give Disney anything over Nintendo at all.
Sure, Sora could be booted from future games in the Smash Series for some reasons many have pointed out, but I don't see how Disney could ever have power over Nintendo

Look, I see what you mean... Disney is a Multi-Million dollar franchisr without its adopted companies. It would be serious if they entered the ring for a huge game like Smash. But hey, maybe it could open possiblities for future crossovers like...
-Nintendo vs Disney Property games, packed full with Mario, Sora, The Mouse, Luke Skywalker, Samus, Homer Simpson, and Spiderman.
-Future DLC for already existing games, like The Hulk in Pokkén (weird, but could be cool), or Sora in Marvel vs Capcom!
-Companies making cameos in the other's work

It's a low, chance, but I hear you... But we could look forward to everything I listed and more!

1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg
In case you weren't aware.

And I get your point I really do but I LOVE smash and don’t trust this random unnamed company not one little tiny minuscule bit.

I don’t do predictions and I don’t care who the six fighters will be, I welcome them all.

Plus, I already have Fighters Pass Vol. 2 pre-ordered.

Last edited:
Hey, uh, buddy? This might be a surprise, but Lara Croft was originally a video game character before anything else. She's totally a possibility.

My predictions.

76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Travis Touchdown
78: Ring Fit Adventurer
79: Heihachi
80: 2B
81: Phoenix Wright
I'd love to see 76, 78 and 81.

Last edited:

Are we going by likelyhood or by personal preference?
By Personal preference, I would want Phoenix Wright in, but I don't see it as likely.

I think that Dante, Shantae and Lloyd Irving are much more likely.
Erm Lara Croft is an video game character. You sure you ain't confusing her for anyone else did you mis post her as Goku?

Well if we're all posting our lists! Here's a combination of my hopes and my logical thoughts,

1. Jill Valentine (Maybe Nemesis?)
2. Akira (Astral Chain)
3. Kilik (SoulCal)
4. 2B
5. Gen 8 Starter (I'm saying Rillaboom because he's great, but Scorbunny would have some cool ranged options. That said, no Grass starters yet!)
6. Somebody from BotW 2? Dehydrated Ganondorf? A new figure?

I feel like this list isn't "bang!" enough but I like it.

Microsoft is a big wildcard in this, if the rumors are true of Halo: MCC coming to Switch, then we might see one of the spots go to Master Chief... promotional DLC

Nintendo tried negotiating Sora in but Disney declined. (Too lazy to post the source.)
Exactly my point.

Microsoft is a big wildcard in this, if the rumors are true of Halo: MCC coming to Switch, then we might see one of the spots go to Master Chief... promotional DLC
This I could see happening. But some MAJOR balancing issues will need to be addressed on guns. Joker's guns are not even considered projectiles and are pretty OP (even being nerfed). Bayo's guns ARE projectiles but can kill you if she hits you off stage with them. I'd be very interested to see how they'd address guns in a character that's basically 100% guns.

Well if we're all posting our lists! Here's a combination of my hopes and my logical thoughts,

1. Jill Valentine (Maybe Nemesis?)
2. Akira (Astral Chain)
3. Kilik (SoulCal)
4. 2B
5. Gen 8 Starter (I'm saying Rillaboom because he's great, but Scorbunny would have some cool ranged options. That said, no Grass starters yet!)
6. Somebody from BotW 2? Dehydrated Ganondorf? A new figure?

I feel like this list isn't "bang!" enough but I like it.
No Lloyd Irving? Disappointed..... bwahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Final DLC? I doubt it. These are making so much money and there's so much of the generation left. Wasn't the first Fighter's Pass supposed to be the only one?

Plus, we're not even trying to make it Nintendo anymore. It shows how few new classics they've made if they have to take content from other developers.

For the best I haven't got the Foghters pass myself yet. But If I do I'd want this and probably Banjo & Kazooie. But Masahiro Sakurai deserves a break.

My predictions?

6.: Crash

7.: Geno

8.: Dante

9.: Lloyd

10.: Master Chief

11.: Toxtricity
Nice one mate, you mention Toxtricity. If Nintendo thinking about another Pokémon rep, Toxtricity should be the one.

The other looks great too but I think Geno will become a Mii Costume imo (which still be cool).

Nice one mate, you mention Toxtricity. If Nintendo thinking about another Pokémon rep, Toxtricity should be the one.

The other looks great too but I think Geno will become a Mii Costume imo (which still be cool).
I agree Toxitricity would be cool, however my only worry is that, as far as I can see, Toxtricity hasn't exactly become the overnight darling, unexpected Smash hit (not pun intended) type of fan favorite mon that has a chance to get into Smash, the only Pokémon like that I can think of being Lucario, since Sakurai tends to pick starters of over otherwise random mons, as he passed over the likes of Zoroark or Mimikyu as characters (You could argue Greninja counts, but given how he picked Greninja for Smash 4 before XY came out on concept art alone, merely assuming he'd be cool, I think Greninja becoming a community favorite as a starter and on its' own was just a lucky coincidence.). If Toxtricity was considered, I think he'd have to be Lucario/Greninja/Mewtwo levels of fan favorite HUGE I'm just not seeing (granted I've been out of playing and focusing hard of Pokémon since Sun/Moon, so maybe it's there and I've just not been paying attention.).

If we get a gen 8 mon, we already know it'll most likely be a promotional pick to plug the Sword and Shield games, and following that logic it's not impossible to think they might try to plug the upcoming Pokémon DLC as well. I feel like best bets for a possible gen 8 mon are another starter (imo best bets being Rillaboom to fill out having a fully evolved water, fire, and grass starter evolution in the roster, or Inteleon since people have seem to taken to him, albeit less that Greninja.), or a DLC mon, possibly Urshifu, Calyrex, or Galarian Slowbro/Slowking. Maybe they'd go a surprise pick and opt for Zarude.

I agree Toxitricity would be cool, however my only worry is that, as far as I can see, Toxtricity hasn't exactly become the overnight darling, unexpected Smash hit (not pun intended) type of fan favorite mon that has a chance to get into Smash, the only Pokémon like that I can think of being Lucario, since Sakurai tends to pick starters of over otherwise random mons, as he passed over the likes of Zoroark or Mimikyu as characters (You could argue Greninja counts, but given how he picked Greninja for Smash 4 before XY came out on concept art alone, merely assuming he'd be cool, I think Greninja becoming a community favorite as a starter and on its' own was just a lucky coincidence.). If Toxtricity was considered, I think he'd have to be Lucario/Greninja/Mewtwo levels of fan favorite HUGE I'm just not seeing (granted I've been out of playing and focusing hard of Pokémon since Sun/Moon, so maybe it's there and I've just not been paying attention.).

If we get a gen 8 mon, we already know it'll most likely be a promotional pick to plug the Sword and Shield games, and following that logic it's not impossible to think they might try to plug the upcoming Pokémon DLC as well. I feel like best bets for a possible gen 8 mon are another starter (imo best bets being Rillaboom to fill out having a fully evolved water, fire, and grass starter evolution in the roster, or Inteleon since people have seem to taken to him, albeit less that Greninja.), or a DLC mon, possibly Urshifu, Calyrex, or Galarian Slowbro/Slowking. Maybe they'd go a surprise pick and opt for Zarude.
Hmmm, maybe you’re right. But Toxtricity’s quite a popular Pokémon from Sword and Shield. Well, not as popular as Dragapult.

Top Bottom