• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fight Your Way Into His Heart - Monika Support Thread

amageish

Smash Master
Monika Support Thread
73193602_p0.png

I'm She's the one in the middle!

Hello! Welcome to our support thread! This thread may contain unmarked spoilers, as this is a game that it is hard to avoid spoiling when talking about it!

Who is this?

Monika is the mascot and a central character of indie smash hit visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club by Dan Salvato. Having had a modest success upon launch, DDLC is a game that gained traction due to people overreacting to it on the internet... which is probably a way to describe most horror games nowadays, honestly...

DDLC has went on to be a highly successful game, getting a Japanese translation, attracting the attention of a variety of high-profile authors of visual novels and adventure games, and now getting an enhanced console port coming out on June 30th, 2021.

Why give DDLC a spot in Smash?

Well, we don't have any horror reps or any visual novel reps or any indie game reps right now! So, it's a chance to flesh out the roster with a fairly well-known character, I guess.
i think it's been earned

Okay, but how would she fight?

Given how DDLC+ seems to be bringing a computer UI onto the Switch, I imagine Monika would function similar to Duck Hunt Dog, attacking with the UI of a computer, including the mouse, text bubbles, and more!

Okay, but what about the stage?

The stage would be the literature club itself, of course! A perfectly happy clubroom. Very normal. Nothing weird here.
Don't worry.

It's always been floating in space.

Don't question it.

Okay, but what about the spirit board?

Oh... Um.... Er....

Well, Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri would all be spirits, of course! And now... we... are out of major characters with actual key art from the game... um...

Spirits for... Sayori's plus toy Mr Cow... a tray of cupcakes made by Natsuki... Yuri's favourite novel, the Potrait of Markov... and a very special poem written by Monika!

That's... a spirit board technically filled! I'll admit that one is harder to fill out then ones from most franchises....

Literature Club Registry:
amageish amageish
GolisoPower GolisoPower
Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr
Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts
SebTheGamer SebTheGamer
nirvanafan nirvanafan
FirestormNeos FirestormNeos

Won't you join us?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Monika Support Thread
View attachment 318727
I'm She's the one in the middle!

Hello! Welcome to our support thread! This thread may contain unmarked spoilers, as this is a game that it is hard to avoid spoiling when talking about it!

Who is this?

Monika is the mascot and a central character of indie smash hit visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club by Dan Salvato. Having had a modest success upon launch, DDLC is a game that gained traction due to people overreacting to it on the internet... which is probably a way to describe most horror games nowadays, honestly...

DDLC has went on to be a highly successful game, getting a Japanese translation, attracting the attention of a variety of high-profile authors of visual novels and adventure games, and now getting an enhanced console port coming out on June 30th, 2021.

Why give DDLC a spot in Smash?

Well, we don't have any horror reps or any visual novel reps or any indie game reps right now! So, it's a chance to flesh out the roster with a fairly well-known character, I guess.
i think it's been earned

Okay, but how would she fight?

Given how DDLC+ seems to be bringing a computer UI onto the Switch, I imagine Monika would function similar to Duck Hunt Dog, attacking with the UI of a computer, including the mouse, text bubbles, and more!

Okay, but what about the stage?

The stage would be the literature club itself, of course! A perfectly happy clubroom. Very normal. Nothing weird here.
Don't worry.

It's always been floating in space.

Don't question it.

Okay, but what about the spirit board?

Oh... Um.... Er....

Well, Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri would all be spirits, of course! And now... we... are out of major characters with actual key art from the game... um...

Spirits for... Sayori's plus toy Mr Cow... a tray of cupcakes made by Natsuki... Yuri's favourite novel, the Potrait of Markov... and a very special poem written by Monika!

That's... a spirit board technically filled! I'll admit that one is harder to fill out then ones from most franchises....

Literature Club Registry:
amageish amageish

Won't you join us?
Mark me up as a member in this probably short-living Support Club! I'll try to think of a good moveset for her centered around the game, but in the meantime...ENJOY THIS FANMADE TRAILER!

Cross flair intro

The trailer starts with a ringing school bell before zooming out of a picturesque Japanese school classroom, with Pyra, Female Villager, Daisy, and Joker, all in school uniforms, walking out of class. A new door opens and the four school classmates walk into a new room, where they sit down and relax, waiting for a fifth and final member to join them. After a few interactions between the characters, Pyra freezes up as her eyes flat-out glitch a little bit before she snaps out of it just as quickly, cradling her head. Suddenly, they notice the entire room being eaten away by pink energy until eventually, the four are suddenly plunged inside a large, dark red void. The quartet, unnerved by all this, gets a good look at their surroundings before a small giggle is heard.

"Oh. There you are! Sorry that I'm late, I had a few things to handle."

They whirl in the direction of the voice, where they see a single pair of glowing green lights staring down at them. Pyra manages to muster enough courage to summon her Aegis sword, which prompts Joker to take out his knife and gun. Villager and Daisy, still visibly nervous, manage to prepare for battle nonetheless.

"Hey, now, no need to be so hostile," said the young voice, her playfulness evident. "I'm just the same girl I always was. Although...you four aren't the ones I know."

As the voice monologues, the lights get closer until a young, feminine silhouette begins to form from within the void.

"Still, I can't be too picky. Having to be cooped up in my own game gets a bit boring after a while. I wanna see more. I wanna do more."

The silhouette then reveals itself as the shine in their eyes dies down, revealing...an inconspicuous-looking high-school girl with a white ribbon on her ponytail. Her smile then loses any form of innocence it had before as it now becomes more...impish.

"Now then, let's get this club in session!"

MONIKA Books A Spot!?

We then see gameplay of Monika starting off in the "Literature Club Room" stage, where she showcases a moveset involving tampering with the source code of Smash and changing it to suit her needs. Relocating platforms, changing stage properties, and even adding new blast lines. The trailer abruptly ends as she activates her Final Smash before the viewer is treated to one-on-one time with Monika.

"Well...that was fun, wasn't it? I'm in Smash now. Bet you didn't expect that. Though there will be some of you that will be leaving with sour tastes in your mouths, that's to be expected. giggle...I look forward to be on your Switches pretty soon. Goodbye for now, I'll remember you all when Sakurai hosts my presentation. Tune in~"

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X j̸̢̨͉̹͈͖̼̜̼̙͚̬̺͓̔͋͆̆̒͘̚͝ͅư̸̞͙̣̳̍̌͆̈́̂͊̏͋̌̿͘͜s̸̡͎̠̞̝͓͒̈́̈́̋̉͂̌͘̕͠t̵̨͓̞̲̀̈́̍̆͑ ̴̨̠͉͔̱̘̦̌̔͆̽͂̚͠m̸̛͚̖̘͖̝̬̍́̾͐̈́̀̒̀̐̑̒̈ō̷̡̾ņ̸̣̪̎̑̿͊͛̉̕̚̕͜ȉ̸̡̦͚̱͚̟̬͉̤̝̝͕͝k̷̛͎͎͇̤̥̿͒̌̀̔ą̷͕̞̺͕͓̱̹͇͙͉̞̘͉̩̽̐̽̑̃͊̓̚ Doki Doki Literature Club! Plus

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Team Salvato

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Mark me up as a member in this probably short-living Support Club! I'll try to think of a good moveset for her centered around the game, but in the meantime...ENJOY THIS FANMADE TRAILER!

Cross flair intro

The trailer starts with a ringing school bell before zooming out of a picturesque Japanese school classroom, with Pyra, Female Villager, Daisy, and Joker, all in school uniforms, walking out of class. A new door opens and the four school classmates walk into a new room, where they sit down and relax, waiting for a fifth and final member to join them. After a few interactions between the characters, Pyra freezes up as her eyes flat-out glitch a little bit before she snaps out of it just as quickly, cradling her head. Suddenly, they notice the entire room being eaten away by pink energy until eventually, the four are suddenly plunged inside a large, dark red void. The quartet, unnerved by all this, gets a good look at their surroundings before a small giggle is heard.

"Oh. There you are! Sorry that I'm late, I had a few things to handle."

They whirl in the direction of the voice, where they see a single pair of glowing green lights staring down at them. Pyra manages to muster enough courage to summon her Aegis sword, which prompts Joker to take out his knife and gun. Villager and Daisy, still visibly nervous, manage to prepare for battle nonetheless.

"Hey, now, no need to be so hostile," said the young voice, her playfulness evident. "I'm just the same girl I always was. Although...you four aren't the ones I know."

As the voice monologues, the lights get closer until a young, feminine silhouette begins to form from within the void.

"Still, I can't be too picky. Having to be cooped up in my own game gets a bit boring after a while. I wanna see more. I wanna do more."

The silhouette then reveals itself as the shine in their eyes dies down, revealing...an inconspicuous-looking high-school girl with a white ribbon on her ponytail. Her smile then loses any form of innocence it had before as it now becomes more...impish.

"Now then, let's get this club in session!"

MONIKA Books A Spot!?

We then see gameplay of Monika starting off in the "Literature Club Room" stage, where she showcases a moveset involving tampering with the source code of Smash and changing it to suit her needs. Relocating platforms, changing stage properties, and even adding new blast lines. The trailer abruptly ends as she activates her Final Smash before the viewer is treated to one-on-one time with Monika.

"Well...that was fun, wasn't it? I'm in Smash now. Bet you didn't expect that. Though there will be some of you that will be leaving with sour tastes in your mouths, that's to be expected. giggle...I look forward to be on your Switches pretty soon. Goodbye for now, I'll remember you all when Sakurai hosts my presentation. Tune in~"

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X j̸̢̨͉̹͈͖̼̜̼̙͚̬̺͓̔͋͆̆̒͘̚͝ͅư̸̞͙̣̳̍̌͆̈́̂͊̏͋̌̿͘͜s̸̡͎̠̞̝͓͒̈́̈́̋̉͂̌͘̕͠t̵̨͓̞̲̀̈́̍̆͑ ̴̨̠͉͔̱̘̦̌̔͆̽͂̚͠m̸̛͚̖̘͖̝̬̍́̾͐̈́̀̒̀̐̑̒̈ō̷̡̾ņ̸̣̪̎̑̿͊͛̉̕̚̕͜ȉ̸̡̦͚̱͚̟̬͉̤̝̝͕͝k̷̛͎͎͇̤̥̿͒̌̀̔ą̷͕̞̺͕͓̱̹͇͙͉̞̘͉̩̽̐̽̑̃͊̓̚ Doki Doki Literature Club! Plus

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Team Salvato
Welcome! Yes, I don't know what happens if we get a double-reveal on Tuesday and if the mods just freeze support threads until the next game or what-have-you, but, for now, we're here!

That's a really good trailer! I like embracing the meta nature and horror natures of the game. Very spooky...

amageish

Smash Master
MC could be a spirit, & it literally just be that 1 cg of him being seen from behind.
True! And maybe DDLC+ will add in more art of him to use...

I mostly avoided him as Dan has been pretty open about not thinking of him as a person beyond his role as player surrogate and the player would inherently be represented in Monika's moveset through you... playing as her.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
True! And maybe DDLC+ will add in more art of him to use...

I mostly avoided him as Dan has been pretty open about not thinking of him as a person beyond his role as player surrogate and the player would inherently be represented in Monika's moveset through you... playing as her.
I felt that was the biggest missed opportunity of DDLC. MC is still his own enity with his own dialogue & I wanted to see him like maybe eventually rebel & confront the player controlling him. Or go mad from living in an empty world if all 4 character files were deleted.

amageish

Smash Master
I felt that was the biggest missed opportunity of DDLC. MC is still his own enity with his own dialogue & I wanted to see him like maybe eventually rebel & confront the player controlling him. Or go mad from living in an empty world if all 4 character files were deleted.
That could have been fun, though I think there's something "I have no mouth and yet I must scream"-esque about him becoming more and more of a husk as the game goes on, unable to react to anything he isn't program to react to up to the point of spending a weekend with Yuri's corpse doing nothing... Other games do self-aware protagonists very well and I think DDLC doesn't neccessary need to join them.

amageish

Smash Master
I know I've said this a few times before, but Monika would make a great candidate for an "Equilibrium" reveal trailer that involves crushing both Galeem and Dharkon.
Ooooh, that would be very cool. Definitely well-suited for her.

My trailer ideas all have just involved her hacking the Direct and announcing herself for Smash, whether Sakurai/Nintendo intended her to do that or not...

Though I do wonder if they'd give her full voice acting in Smash an a Smash trailer, as she obviously has a voice, but not one that appears regularly in the game and I think she was just voiced by a musician friend of Dan's.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ooooh, that would be very cool. Definitely well-suited for her.

My trailer ideas all have just involved her hacking the Direct and announcing herself for Smash, whether Sakurai/Nintendo intended her to do that or not...

Though I do wonder if they'd give her full voice acting in Smash an a Smash trailer, as she obviously has a voice, but not one that appears regularly in the game and I think she was just voiced by a musician friend of Dan's.
Hmmm, I see your point about the full voice acting.

I also have an idea for a World of Light expansion where, after killing both elemental gods, Monika takes their place as the big bad.

amageish

Smash Master

This is a weird tweet to just casually see in my feed. Like, "Oh, it's just Nintendo tweeting about Doki Doki Literature Club! No big deal."

I guess DDLC is also big enough to merit the official NoA account, not the Indie-Focused one... Neat.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

This is a weird tweet to just casually see in my feed. Like, "Oh, it's just Nintendo tweeting about Doki Doki Literature Club! No big deal."

I guess DDLC is also big enough to merit the official NoA account, not the Indie-Focused one... Neat.
Yeah, the fact that the official account tweeted about this definitely means it's some modicum of hugeness in terms of popularity.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, the fact that the official account tweeted about this definitely means it's some modicum of hugeness in terms of popularity.
Yeah, it's also one of the only third-parties to have had their trailers reuploaded by Nintendo for YouTube. DDLC is hanging out with things like Monster Hunter Stories, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Rune Factory 5, and a few other indie games (Dreamscraper, Demon Throttle, and Wizard with a Gun). Definitely an interesting twist to see Nintendo promoting this game...

To be clear: I'm not saying this means anything for Smash, as it doesn't really. I just am surprised to see how effectively DDLC has blown up...

We'll see if tomorrow finishes off the DLC. If it does, then, hey, spirit events and Mii Costumes do always exist. And, if we get nothing in Smash, then Dan already seems pretty happy to just have a major Switch release happening, so that in itself is worth celebrating!

amageish

Smash Master

DDLC made it onto the 2021/2 Nintendo roadmap! Crazy to see how Nintendo's social media is promoting this game given how it wasn't even announced in a Direct... Dan and Serenity must have some good connections, I guess?

Like the last comment, I'm not suggesting this means anything for Smash; I'm just impressed/surprised. Our best timeline is likely in the Mii Costume or Spirit Event direction, not that that wouldn't be mind-blowing in of itself just because of Dan's history of Smash mod development.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

DDLC made it onto the 2021/2 Nintendo roadmap! Crazy to see how Nintendo's social media is promoting this game given how it wasn't even announced in a Direct... Dan and Serenity must have some good connections, I guess?

Like the last comment, I'm not suggesting this means anything for Smash; I'm just impressed/surprised. Our best timeline is likely in the Mii Costume or Spirit Event direction, not that that wouldn't be mind-blowing in of itself just because of Dan's history of Smash mod development.
Damn. That's nuts. Just how many Nintendo employees love Doki Doki???

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, it took a good long time procrastination notwithstanding, but I managed to make a moveset for Monika that I feel would best represent her. Ideas may be half-baked and the things in this set might give Monika such power that Smash 4 Bayo, Brawl Meta Knight, and Melee Fox combined would look away in fear, but gottverdammt if I didn't try!

Jab: Monika swipes twice with a pen in her hand before swiping one more time with an added flourish as though she were penning her signature.

Side-tilt: Monika performs a pirouette in place, kicking anyone in front of her.

Up-tilt: Monika does a hand-stand, whipping her feet upwards as she does so.

Down-tilt: Monika drops a book in front of her, causing it to tumble for a bit before disappearing.

Dash attack: Monika takes out a file folder and shield-bashes with it.

Grab: Monika snaps her fingers and creates a miniature version of the Pause Menu, freezing an opponent in place. For her pummel, she pokes at the button icons on the Pause Menu, dealing small damage to the opponent.

F-throw: Monika creates the blue spike thingy that makes shows you the angle of your attack’s knockback, then unpauses the opponent by smacking the “Resume” button. How far they fly is dependent on how high their damage is.

D-throw: Monika summons a pile of dirt at their feet that buries them on contact before unpausing the opponent.

B-throw: Monika grabs their torso, and creates another one of those blue knockback angle thingies to send them flying before she unpauses the opponent.

U-throw: After careful browsing through the source code, Monika takes out the tornado from Hyrule Castle 64 and places it at their location before she unpauses the opponent.

Side Smash: Monika takes out a large list of in-game entities and swipes through it. Upon release, Monika causes a Danger Zone ball from the Great Cave Offensive to smash into opponents. After noticing the game glitching out from this, Monika then deletes it as though it wasn’t too big an issue. Unlike with the normal Danger Zones, this does not Instantly KO.

Up Smash: Alternating between sifting through a list of in-game content and looking upwards at the sky, Monika charges up this attack. Upon release, Monika will spawn a Flying Man from Magicant, who flies upwards in a dive-bomb.

Down Smash: Monika calmly sits down as she types away at a keyboard. Upon release, she spawns the Dark Train from Spirit Tracks at her location, which explodes.

N-air: Monika performs a graceful pirouette in the air, hitting on both sides of her.

F-air: Monika summons the Spinner from Balloon Fight and causes it to spin in place, knocking away anything it hits before she causes it to vanish.

B-air: Monika brings out the Charmander sprite from Saffron City and shoots its flamethrower behind her.

D-air: Channeling her Inner Steve, Monika summons a Barrel from Wrecking Crew which plummets along with her. Unlike in that stage, Monika’s D-air doesn’t trap opponents but instead functions similarly to Steve’s Anvil.

U-air: Monika thrusts a Joulion from Pyrosphere into the air and causes it to create a burst of electricity. Monika doesn’t care if Pyrosphere got cut in Ultimate, she’ll use whatever she wants, dammit!

Neutral B: Game Code Tweak: Monika will take out a book and start writing a poem in it for as long as the opponent holds the button. As she's charging, you may tilt the joystick in any direction to pick one of many profound effects on not just fighters, not just the stage, but the entire game itself.
  • Stage 1: The Fighters:
    • Lighten: Makes opponents lighter.
    • Weaken: Reduces opponents’ attack power to 0.5x.
    • Enlarge: Temporarily doubles the opponent’s size without the benefits of the Super Mushroom.
    • Shrink: Temporarily shrinks the opponent’s size.
    • Slow: Slows down time for the opponent.
    • Blossom: Plants a flower on the top of the opponent's head.
  • Stage 2: The Stage:
    • Misplace: Relocate a stage’s platform to your location.
    • Terraform: Manipulate the space of the ground in front of you to create a hill. This varies depending on the size of the platform you’re on.
    • Crater: Do the inverse of Terraform and create a crater in the ground you’re standing on dependent on the size of the platform.
    • Split: Use the Zantetsuken attack plucked from Midgar’s code and use it to split the stage in half.
    • Float: Temporarily stops all gravity on the stage.
    • Encase: Summons a glitched-out version of a wall from King of Fighters Stadium. This wall will is about the same size as Monika herself and amplified the knockback of opponents knocked into it by 1.5x. Unlike in KoF Stadium, the Encase walls only break after an opponent is knocked into it 3 times.
  • Stage 3: The GAME:
    • Pause: Summon a miniature pause menu to stop all opponents in the area. Strike opponents to unpause them.
    • Death: Create a single Blast Zone, represented by an ominous, glowing-red line in front of you, that kills the first person to touch it. It also has a very short lifespan.
    • Moment: Subtract 30 seconds of fight-time from the opponent. If the opponent’s fight-time runs out, they will automatically be ejected from the game. This cannot occur once you’re down to a minute. This is only available if Time is being used.
    • Drain: Slower, yet more powerful, Monika will steal the opponent’s stock without killing them. This is only available if Stocks are being used.
    • Transplant: Monika divides her own damage value in half, and plants the other to the next opponent she touches.
    • Save: Monika will create a small Save Point that lasts for 18 seconds. If Monika receives a fatal blow within that time period, Monika will spend that save point to go back to where she was, effectively resetting the time.
Side B: Glitch Out: Monika herself begins to glitch out and fly forwards. If an opponent is caught in the crossfire, Monika will cause that opponent to also momentarily glitch out, messing up that opponent’s next 3 inputs. This is heavily telegraphed and the effects don’t stack.

Up B: Add Platform: Monika will summon a platform from Battlefield and places it underneath her. Up to three platforms can be out at a time. After 10 seconds before the platform glitches out and vanishes. Much like Steve, there’s a limit to where she can place those platforms. Sometimes some things are out of her control...

Down B: Literature Club Girls: Monika will summon one of the three Literature Club girls to assist her in some manner.
  • Sayori will cheer for Monika in the background, giving her a random boost to her stats, whether it’s a boost in attack, a boost in speed, or a boost in defense.
  • Yuri will charge forward, knife outstretched and eyes closed before tripping on herself and disappearing. If she hits with the knife, she will gain a temporarily horrified expression before disappearing. This has immense kill potential, but due to Yuri’s nature, this is heavily telegraphed.
  • Natsuki will toss a cupcake at Monika’s location, similarly to Isabelle’s Assist Trophy function from Smash 4. The cupcake will heal Monika for 10% damage, but like Hero, she must score a KO in order to use it again.
Final Smash: “Let’s Talk…”: A one-person Final Smash like Incineroar, Monika spawns a hole in the game itself and catches one opponent inside. The caught opponent is then put in a face-to-face spot with Monika, where a text box will start pouring text unique to each fighter. The words phase themselves into the opponent, racking up psychological damage until Monika stops the text. With one final look of impish sympathy, Monika then abruptly changes into her face into her “Jumpscare Glitch”, which then abruptly cuts back to the fight where the opponent is launched.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, it took a good long time procrastination notwithstanding, but I managed to make a moveset for Monika that I feel would best represent her. Ideas may be half-baked and the things in this set might give Monika such power that Smash 4 Bayo, Brawl Meta Knight, and Melee Fox combined would look away in fear, but gottverdammt if I didn't try!

Jab: Monika swipes twice with a pen in her hand before swiping one more time with an added flourish as though she were penning her signature.

Side-tilt: Monika performs a pirouette in place, kicking anyone in front of her.

Up-tilt: Monika does a hand-stand, whipping her feet upwards as she does so.

Down-tilt: Monika drops a book in front of her, causing it to tumble for a bit before disappearing.

Dash attack: Monika takes out a file folder and shield-bashes with it.

Grab: Monika snaps her fingers and creates a miniature version of the Pause Menu, freezing an opponent in place. For her pummel, she pokes at the button icons on the Pause Menu, dealing small damage to the opponent.

F-throw: Monika creates the blue spike thingy that makes shows you the angle of your attack’s knockback, then unpauses the opponent by smacking the “Resume” button. How far they fly is dependent on how high their damage is.

D-throw: Monika summons a pile of dirt at their feet that buries them on contact before unpausing the opponent.

B-throw: Monika grabs their torso, and creates another one of those blue knockback angle thingies to send them flying before she unpauses the opponent.

U-throw: After careful browsing through the source code, Monika takes out the tornado from Hyrule Castle 64 and places it at their location before she unpauses the opponent.

Side Smash: Monika takes out a large list of in-game entities and swipes through it. Upon release, Monika causes a Danger Zone ball from the Great Cave Offensive to smash into opponents. After noticing the game glitching out from this, Monika then deletes it as though it wasn’t too big an issue. Unlike with the normal Danger Zones, this does not Instantly KO.

Up Smash: Alternating between sifting through a list of in-game content and looking upwards at the sky, Monika charges up this attack. Upon release, Monika will spawn a Flying Man from Magicant, who flies upwards in a dive-bomb.

Down Smash: Monika calmly sits down as she types away at a keyboard. Upon release, she spawns the Dark Train from Spirit Tracks at her location, which explodes.

N-air: Monika performs a graceful pirouette in the air, hitting on both sides of her.

F-air: Monika summons the Spinner from Balloon Fight and causes it to spin in place, knocking away anything it hits before she causes it to vanish.

B-air: Monika brings out the Charmander sprite from Saffron City and shoots its flamethrower behind her.

D-air: Channeling her Inner Steve, Monika summons a Barrel from Wrecking Crew which plummets along with her. Unlike in that stage, Monika’s D-air doesn’t trap opponents but instead functions similarly to Steve’s Anvil.

U-air: Monika thrusts a Joulion from Pyrosphere into the air and causes it to create a burst of electricity. Monika doesn’t care if Pyrosphere got cut in Ultimate, she’ll use whatever she wants, dammit!

Neutral B: Game Code Tweak: Monika will take out a book and start writing a poem in it for as long as the opponent holds the button. As she's charging, you may tilt the joystick in any direction to pick one of many profound effects on not just fighters, not just the stage, but the entire game itself.
  • Stage 1: The Fighters:
    • Lighten: Makes opponents lighter.
    • Weaken: Reduces opponents’ attack power to 0.5x.
    • Enlarge: Temporarily doubles the opponent’s size without the benefits of the Super Mushroom.
    • Shrink: Temporarily shrinks the opponent’s size.
    • Slow: Slows down time for the opponent.
    • Blossom: Plants a flower on the top of the opponent's head.
  • Stage 2: The Stage:
    • Misplace: Relocate a stage’s platform to your location.
    • Terraform: Manipulate the space of the ground in front of you to create a hill. This varies depending on the size of the platform you’re on.
    • Crater: Do the inverse of Terraform and create a crater in the ground you’re standing on dependent on the size of the platform.
    • Split: Use the Zantetsuken attack plucked from Midgar’s code and use it to split the stage in half.
    • Float: Temporarily stops all gravity on the stage.
    • Encase: Summons a glitched-out version of a wall from King of Fighters Stadium. This wall will is about the same size as Monika herself and amplified the knockback of opponents knocked into it by 1.5x. Unlike in KoF Stadium, the Encase walls only break after an opponent is knocked into it 3 times.
  • Stage 3: The GAME:
    • Pause: Summon a miniature pause menu to stop all opponents in the area. Strike opponents to unpause them.
    • Death: Create a single Blast Zone, represented by an ominous, glowing-red line in front of you, that kills the first person to touch it. It also has a very short lifespan.
    • Moment: Subtract 30 seconds of fight-time from the opponent. If the opponent’s fight-time runs out, they will automatically be ejected from the game. This cannot occur once you’re down to a minute. This is only available if Time is being used.
    • Drain: Slower, yet more powerful, Monika will steal the opponent’s stock without killing them. This is only available if Stocks are being used.
    • Transplant: Monika divides her own damage value in half, and plants the other to the next opponent she touches.
    • Save: Monika will create a small Save Point that lasts for 18 seconds. If Monika receives a fatal blow within that time period, Monika will spend that save point to go back to where she was, effectively resetting the time.
Side B: Glitch Out: Monika herself begins to glitch out and fly forwards. If an opponent is caught in the crossfire, Monika will cause that opponent to also momentarily glitch out, messing up that opponent’s next 3 inputs. This is heavily telegraphed and the effects don’t stack.

Up B: Add Platform: Monika will summon a platform from Battlefield and places it underneath her. Up to three platforms can be out at a time. After 10 seconds before the platform glitches out and vanishes. Much like Steve, there’s a limit to where she can place those platforms. Sometimes some things are out of her control...

Down B: Literature Club Girls: Monika will summon one of the three Literature Club girls to assist her in some manner.
  • Sayori will cheer for Monika in the background, giving her a random boost to her stats, whether it’s a boost in attack, a boost in speed, or a boost in defense.
  • Yuri will charge forward, knife outstretched and eyes closed before tripping on herself and disappearing. If she hits with the knife, she will gain a temporarily horrified expression before disappearing. This has immense kill potential, but due to Yuri’s nature, this is heavily telegraphed.
  • Natsuki will toss a cupcake at Monika’s location, similarly to Isabelle’s Assist Trophy function from Smash 4. The cupcake will heal Monika for 10% damage, but like Hero, she must score a KO in order to use it again.
Final Smash: “Let’s Talk…”: A one-person Final Smash like Incineroar, Monika spawns a hole in the game itself and catches one opponent inside. The caught opponent is then put in a face-to-face spot with Monika, where a text box will start pouring text unique to each fighter. The words phase themselves into the opponent, racking up psychological damage until Monika stops the text. With one final look of impish sympathy, Monika then abruptly changes into her face into her “Jumpscare Glitch”, which then abruptly cuts back to the fight where the opponent is launched.
This is a very good moveset. I do think it is maybe the most obviously OP moveset I've ever seen, but it is a very funny one and I love how you bring over Monika's powers into Smash in clever ways. I would never have considered things like summoning stage hazards from other stages; that's really clever/funny.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This is a very good moveset. I do think it is maybe the most obviously OP moveset I've ever seen, but it is a very funny one and I love how you bring over Monika's powers into Smash in clever ways. I would never have considered things like summoning stage hazards from other stages; that's really clever/funny.
Thanks. :)

I at one point considered having a 4th tier to Neutral B where Monika tweaks the console itself (Like, for example, she'd unleash a short-range attack that disconnects your opponent's controller, or in online matches, throws a weak projectile that forces your opponent's console to the home screen), but it was already bat**** insane as is, so I held back.

amageish

Smash Master
Thanks. :)

I at one point considered having a 4th tier to Neutral B where Monika tweaks the console itself (Like, for example, she'd unleash a short-range attack that disconnects your opponent's controller, or in online matches, throws a weak projectile that forces your opponent's console to the home screen), but it was already bat**** insane as is, so I held back.
Yeah, uh, that would be very funny, but maybe difficult to program lol.

If I were to add a type of move you didn't have, something functioning like Robin's down-B where she adjusts her health relative to her foes would be fun...

This does also make me wonder what sort of changes we'll be getting in the console version of DDLC. I'd love to see her go full-on Pyscho Mantis, with her playing with controller low battery warnings, reading save files for other games, and commenting on if you own a physical or digital copy of the game...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This does also make me wonder what sort of changes we'll be getting in the console version of DDLC. I'd love to see her go full-on Pyscho Mantis, with her playing with controller low battery warnings, reading save files for other games, and commenting on if you own a physical or digital copy of the game...
It'd be creepy, and honestly kind of fun and refreshing, to see Monika bring up Super Smash Bros. after the reference was deleted in the original game. Like, say, "You're into Super Smash Brothers, too? I knew we had something in common! ...ah, it feels refreshing saying that out loud. For some reason, I've been wanting to say the name of that game for quite some time. If you want to play for a while, go ahead! I won't stop you. Just be careful not to play with (Insert Female Smash Fighter Here) for too long~!"

I could also see some Monika scripts when you're on PS4/PS5, too, like: "Oh, you're into Street Fighter, huh? I've...admittedly never been into fighting games myself. You should probably know by now that I love all I do to be planned out."

Meanwhile, the Xbox version might have her talking about some of the Microsoft stuff. Like, say, "Have you ever thought about the Games Pass? Oh, no reason, really, just a thought. After all, the line between Xbox and PC seems to be rather blurred these days. Although...it'd be a fun opportunity for you to have more ways to see me."

Oh, BTW, somebody noticed something about one of the screenshots as far as what one of the changes goes:
1624746746254.png

Take a look at the background of the screenshot on the left. There's actually a button that says "Files" on there. Even if it is not as immersive as going to your File Explorer on your PC, it does seem like a suitable console workaround for what PC could accomplish. Although...knowing this game, I'm sure there's something deeper and more rooted. Honestly, it'd be hilarious if the reason it took DDLC+ so long to reveal was that Team Salvato negotiated with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft about using the console OS to his advantage. Though that's hella unlikely. Just a thought, though.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It'd be creepy, and honestly kind of fun and refreshing, to see Monika bring up Super Smash Bros. after the reference was deleted in the original game. Like, say, "You're into Super Smash Brothers, too? I knew we had something in common! ...ah, it feels refreshing saying that out loud. For some reason, I've been wanting to say the name of that game for quite some time. If you want to play for a while, go ahead! I won't stop you. Just be careful not to play with (Insert Female Smash Fighter Here) for too long~!"

I could also see some Monika scripts when you're on PS4/PS5, too, like: "Oh, you're into Street Fighter, huh? I've...admittedly never been into fighting games myself. You should probably know by now that I love all I do to be planned out."

Meanwhile, the Xbox version might have her talking about some of the Microsoft stuff. Like, say, "Have you ever thought about the Games Pass? Oh, no reason, really, just a thought. After all, the line between Xbox and PC seems to be rather blurred these days. Although...it'd be a fun opportunity for you to have more ways to see me."

Oh, BTW, somebody noticed something about one of the screenshots as far as what one of the changes goes:
Take a look at the background of the screenshot on the left. There's actually a button that says "Files" on there. Even if it is not as immersive as going to your File Explorer on your PC, it does seem like a suitable console workaround for what PC could accomplish. Although...knowing this game, I'm sure there's something deeper and more rooted. Honestly, it'd be hilarious if the reason it took DDLC+ so long to reveal was that Team Salvato negotiated with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft about using the console OS to his advantage. Though that's hella unlikely. Just a thought, though.
LOL, yeah, that would be very funny to see. I'd love for her to make specific shout-outs to other games. It'd be maybe neat if she also commented on other indie games, given Dan's connections and her... indie-ness. Her critiquing or at least commenting on the brands of whatever console she is on would be amazing too lol. Ugh, so many cool options! We'll see what happens. I'm debating if I want to get it digitally on PS4 before my physical Switch version arrives in August... I imagine it'd be hard to avoid spoilers for months.

I have noticed there is a UI version of the computer interface, yeah. I'm guessing you will have Monika beginning to screw with things in the main PC too during Acts 2/3/4? Maybe? I'm guessing DDLC+ took so long due to figuring out how to recreate the PC interface, but I doubt they'll have function outside of the game. Biggest thing I could maybe see is you needing to fully uninstall the game if you ever want to replay it.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, I think the best thing possible just happened for us, in that indie Mii Costumes with music are back on the table! Woo-hoo?

Now, there's also probably only one wave of costumes left, barring something akin to the "Bonus Wave" we got in Smash 4, and it seems like Shovel Knight is inevitably going to be an indie Mii Costume with music... but... uh... maybe we can hope for an extended final wave? Idk. This wave did feel like they're really just trying to get as many IPs into Smash as possible in these final days...

amageish

Smash Master
So, in fun DDLC+ news...

"PM Died for This" has returned as a start-up screen. Monika's reference to Smash in her talk has been cut though, assumedly because he feels the reference was too obscure - most DDLC players do not know Dan was a pro Smash Bros player at this point.

"PM Died for This" is probably easier to justify in the new metanarrative too, as DDLC+ includes content that establishes that Dan is not the developer of DDLC in the canon of DDLC. There are, however, multiple things and characters named "PM" in this new canon, so it's likely been retconned to mean something in-universe.

I guess I'll also note my thoughts on DDLC+ from what I've played!

Side Stories are fantastic??? I'm impressed by how well Dan writes emotions - they're just very blunt and honest in a remarkable way. The stories are all good and super enjoyable, if slightly varied in tone.

DDLC is the same it always has been. It's a game.

The new metanarrative is interesting, though a bit more standard for modern internet horror then a lot of the original game was. I do like how it isn't that subtle though; it's non-linear and unconventional storytelling, but it doesn't seem like it is designed exclusively to troll MatPat like some other ARG-y horror franchises do.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
While very unlikely (for this game atleast) I'll still throw in my support. I really loved this game when I first played it. I'm on my way to 100% DDLC+ now.

amageish

Smash Master
While very unlikely (for this game atleast) I'll still throw in my support. I really loved this game when I first played it. I'm on my way to 100% DDLC+ now.
Welcome to our literature club~! And, yeah, I recognize that there's a ~0.001% chance of Monika getting into Smash in any form and, if she did, it would almost certainly be as a Mii Costume, but hey. What is Smashboards if not a place for discussing things that probably won't happen?

So, speaking of non-fighter representation, I think DDLC is obviously pretty capable of being a spirit event with exactly four lead characters... How would you do spirit battles for Monika, Yuri, Sayori, and Natsuki?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Welcome to our literature club~! And, yeah, I recognize that there's a ~0.001% chance of Monika getting into Smash in any form and, if she did, it would almost certainly be as a Mii Costume, but hey. What is Smashboards if not a place for discussing things that probably won't happen?

So, speaking of non-fighter representation, I think DDLC is obviously pretty capable of being a spirit event with exactly four lead characters... How would you do spirit battles for Monika, Yuri, Sayori, and Natsuki?
Alrighty, let's see...

Natsuki would be a pink-haired Villager who's attracted to food items (Mainly sweets to reference her affinity for cupcakes) and is generally very mobile. Yuri would be a Lucina with a Cutting Edge item that's more reserved in her movements and takes periodic damage. Sayori would be a Zelda who is accompanied by a hostile Arcade Bunny. Monika herself could be a Palutena (Another canonically all-powerful being), or if you've purchased it a Monika Mii Fighter, that inflicts random effects on the battlefield as you fight.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Alrighty, let's see...

Natsuki would be a pink-haired Villager who's attracted to food items (Mainly sweets to reference her affinity for cupcakes) and is generally very mobile. Yuri would be a Lucina with a Cutting Edge item that's more reserved in her movements and takes periodic damage. Sayori would be a Zelda who is accompanied by a hostile Arcade Bunny. Monika herself could be a Palutena (Another canonically all-powerful being), or if you've purchased it a Monika Mii Fighters, that inflicts random effects on the battlefield as you fight.
I like these a lot. Good way of referencing some of the darker motifs.

Here's my picks, taking some influence from you.

Natuki being a pink-haired villager seems about right. You fight her on Tortimer Island in reference to her poem "I'll Be Your Beach." I don't think there's anything more accurate to her then being attracted to sweets...

Yuri would be a purple-haired Inkling in the school uniform You fight her on Windy Hill Zone in reference her poem "Wheel." She alters between states of running away from you and aggressively running towards you. Sharp items spawn as... yeah, that seems obligatory.

Sayori would be a Jigglypuff with a red bow. You fight her on Gamer as, uh, a safe place in your room where you are randomly attacked by a monstrous version of someone who you know cares about you seems about right for her? In reference to her poem "Bottles," container items spawn all around, with half of the containers turning out to be empty once broken.

Monika is Palutena or a Mii Costume. You fight her on Pictochat, as that seems beyond the fourth wall enough for her. She summons all the annoying/distracting assist trophies - Skull Kid, Nightmare, Nintendogs, etc etc. Can we have free DLC Legend Spirits? If so, she is one of those. The rest of the girls are support spirits.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, it's CET day today
You know how it is by now

amageish

Smash Master
Yo, the final 4 spirits in this are big-brain. Never would've thought of those!
Thanks haha. I'm aware they're silly, but I figured they fit and were fun. Mr Cow is an important part of DDLC lore and deserves love.

Pitch: Mr Cow Mii Costume based on Sayori's halloween costume.

1625531968707.png

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hello Monika for Smash supporters or DDLC fans. My name is SebTheGamer. I’m actually new to this Monika for Smash supporting section and I want to explain what makes me want to join. I’m also a Shantae supporter for her being in Smash and since she’s in but not as a full fighter which I’m ok with that, I decided I want to move on to other character I would be really interested in for Smash 6 since Smash Ultimate is ending and Sakurai will have a long break is of course Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club. I experienced DDLC back in 2020 and I have to say it was really interesting to be a horror game well half of it and half was an Anime dating simulator even know I’m not into Anime personally. The reason I was into DDLC because it has a really good plot and so much horror with intense and scary story line and I find it interesting it’s also in Anime style and it caught to my attention and I was like, “Oh wait it’s Anime? Well that’ll be very interesting.” I don’t know anything about that game until 2020 which got me pretty curious what is it about. I hope nothing too weird but it is anyway being part of a horror game. So anyway I’m just here to join this Monika for Smash supporting section for hoping Monika could join Super Smash Bros. 6 and hope Nintendo and Dan Salvato will have a great relationship. I bet her movesets are Pen Jab, Knife, Cupcakes, Rope, etc. So yeah hope for the best!

Top Bottom