• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fight to the beat of the music and your heart! Cadence for smash Support thread

zferolie

Smash Hero

Who Is Cadence?

Cadence is the main Protagonist from the game Crypt of the NecroDancer, an Indie Rouge like rhythm game. The plot involves her going to look for her missing father who is a famed treasure hunter. She gets trapped in a crypt that is controlled by the NecroDancer, who steals her heart. Cadance needs to move and fight to the beat of the music and her heart to free her father and defeat the NecroDancer.​

Why should Cadence get a chance?

Cadence is from a game studio that litterally has only 1 game under their belt. So why should a character like that deserve to fight along side some of gamings greatest characters? Well, as of March 20th... she already has.​

During the Nindies direct Nintendo announced a Legend of Zelda x Cyrpt of the Necrodancer game. This is the first time Nintendo has ever allowed an indipendant game company to work on one of their IP's, let alone one of their BIGGEST IP's. This shows Nintendo respects the company, and opens the door for her in smash.

What would she bring to smash?

Cadance could bring a very unique gameplay to smash, something that may be hard to pull off in a game like this but could be very interesting. She is from a rogue-like, with rhythm focus. I think she could incorperate that into her playstyle. A lot of her moves would have additional attacks and effects, that you need to time your button presses to the beat of the move to get off. Think like an icon or music that plays when she does a move and she needs to time her presses to that.

Other then that, she would bring in a vararity of items she could use, such as weapons and armor. She starts with just a dagger, but also has her B move Dig, which digs a whole in front of her bringing out her items armor, and spells. This would work more like stat boosts/effects then normal items. When she digs she gets multiple items at once, and can either equip them or use her down B Transmutate to transform them into Smash items for her to use(transmutate also would hurt enemies and transform any projectile attack).

What Else does she Bring? Amazing music

As Part of a rhythm game, the music of Crypt of the NecroDancer is amazing, and it would be great to get them and remix's of some of the tracks. Here are some of the amazing music from the game

Supporters

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Only just started Crypt of the NecroDancer yesterday, but I like it so far. Count me in.

Also, you spelled her name wrong in the title.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm all in for a Cadence inclusion for Smash. Cadence of Hyrule really came out of the blue and is the biggest endorsement I've seen Nintendo give to an indie game, and putting her in Smash as DLC would be an even bigger endorsement for that matter too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
hey nice you finished it.
We can always use more rythm or dancing in our games :D So that's a support from me.

I've watched the game but i havent played it yet. I'm much more likely to play it sometime now tho :)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
if only..... if only....

yeah, put me in... although i find the gameplay pretty challenging (never managed to beat the necrodancer) i love the game premise and story, plus i find their characters pretty charming.

can we get Aria as a Skin/Echo?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I've been a fan of this game for a few years and been quietly supporting Cadence even before she had any real chance; needless to say, I'm in. Her game/world has quite a bit charm with its music theme and having a fighter with a focus on rhythm would be a unique experience.

if only..... if only....

yeah, put me in... although i find the gameplay pretty challenging (never managed to beat the necrodancer) i love the game premise and story, plus i find their characters pretty charming.

can we get Aria as a Skin/Echo?

I second the Aria Echo, or at the very least, get alternate pallets based on her and Melody.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm complete garbage at Crypt of the NecroDancer but I'll still support. It's a really amazing game and the music alone is worth having it be repped in Smash.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Support. Cadence of Hyrule looks amazing.

Edit: because of the sound based puns of the series, when people mentioned “Aria Echo” I simply assumed that was the character’s last name.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sorry ive been mia. I got a bit distracted by rl stuff. I'll be adding all the supporters later.

Well cadence of hyrule is out! And so far the reviews have been very positive! Seems like the developers put alot of love and respect into this game. Maybe nintendo loves it enough to add cadence into smash?

Here, have the overworld music for the game. It is.. well just listen and experience it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not going to get it for now since it's a bit high priced for an indie game, but I could think about it if I see reviews saying that it's a long game or has a lot of replay value or something.

Still seems like a really nice game :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not going to get it for now since it's a bit high priced for an indie game, but I could think about it if I see reviews saying that it's a long game or has a lot of replay value or something.

Still seems like a really nice game :)
Its probably more expenisve then normal indie games due to it also being a zelda game. It does have a lot of replayability it seems with the overworld map changing every game, plus 2 characters that play differently.

The reviews have all been very good so far as well. This is looking to be an excellent game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would agree to Cadence joining Smash Bros. Her Rhythm Based fighting could add spice to the table.

For her stats

She can be between light to medium weight

Gimmicks would be her rhythm meter. The more attacks that are in sync, the more stronger the attacks will get on base growth and knockback.

Playstyle would be like a hybrid of all-round and trapper.

Her moveset can be set by the tools she uses in the Cyrpt.
Sword, Spear or Shovel
Bombs
Dagger

Final Smash would be using the Golden Lute, trap them in the crypt and summon an army to attack whoever got caught in the initial start.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I really don't get why some people complain about the price just because it's an indie title. $25 is less than half of a AAA game, and sometimes I find the indie games I play are better than the AAA games. I honestly expected Cadence of Hyrule to be around $40.

Anyway, I picked the game up on release day and it's a lot of fun. It's quite easier than Crypt of the NecroDancer, but I found that game too hard at times so I'm happy it's not like that, though late game it did feel a bit too easy since I had so many hearts I could often just tank everything around me to win.

I played through the whole thing as Zelda. I'd like to play as Cadence more, but it's kind of awkward; as far as I can tell, you can only unlock her after finding her in four specific areas, and since the overworld is randomized for every playthrough you end up needing to just wander around a while if you want to play through most of the game with her. If you don't do that, you probably won't unlock her until you're ~75% done with the game, and at that point I felt like just finishing it out as Zelda because it felt nice to have Zelda be the one to save Hyrule for once.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
This game is fun.

So which octave pun is better, the villain from this or the villain from splatoon?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I`ve been intrigued about this game since it first came out. Even though i haven`t played it yet myself her chances are decent now so i support cadance.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I really don't get why some people complain about the price just because it's an indie title. $25 is less than half of a AAA game, and sometimes I find the indie games I play are better than the AAA games. I honestly expected Cadence of Hyrule to be around $40.

Anyway, I picked the game up on release day and it's a lot of fun. It's quite easier than Crypt of the NecroDancer, but I found that game too hard at times so I'm happy it's not like that, though late game it did feel a bit too easy since I had so many hearts I could often just tank everything around me to win.

I played through the whole thing as Zelda. I'd like to play as Cadence more, but it's kind of awkward; as far as I can tell, you can only unlock her after finding her in four specific areas, and since the overworld is randomized for every playthrough you end up needing to just wander around a while if you want to play through most of the game with her. If you don't do that, you probably won't unlock her until you're ~75% done with the game, and at that point I felt like just finishing it out as Zelda because it felt nice to have Zelda be the one to save Hyrule for once.
When you beat the game once you can customize future playthroughs on new files, stuff like playing with only a specific character the whole way, permadeath, move in double time or even turn off the need to move to the beat altogether. I don't know fixed character playthroughs affect the final areas though.

zferolie

Smash Hero
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._downloaded_game_on_switch_last_week_in_japan

Chances are good that she'll gather a following for the foreseeable future.
This is really good news not just for Cadence, but all indie games. Nintendo has shown these indie studios can make games worthy of their series, and I hope more companies can take a swing at other nintendo properties. Also, this is a big foot in the door for cadence in dlc or future smashes.

When you beat the game once you can customize future playthroughs on new files, stuff like playing with only a specific character the whole way, permadeath, move in double time or even turn off the need to move to the beat altogether. I don't know fixed character playthroughs affect the final areas though.
That is a ton of replaybability!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is really good news not just for Cadence, but all indie games. Nintendo has shown these indie studios can make games worthy of their series, and I hope more companies can take a swing at other nintendo properties. Also, this is a big foot in the door for cadence in dlc or future smashes.
Oh yes. It certainly seems to inspire this so far:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/cuphead_developer_dreams_of_making_a_new_zelda_game

Although I can't help but feel that the two companies here limit scope by just picking Zelda, when there's potential for other series to get their own indie-made installments.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/cuphead_developer_dreams_of_making_a_new_zelda_game

Although I can't help but feel that the two companies here limit scope by just picking Zelda, when there's potential for other series to get their own indie-made installments.
It's obscure, sure, but the Cuphead developer could probably make a good Sin & Punishment game.

Also, are we just not going to point out the uncanny ressemblance Cadence now has with another famous indie with all the shovel-based moves she got in this game?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah they should branch out to more then just Zelda. Wayforward making a metroid game for example.

It's obscure, sure, but the Cuphead developer could probably make a good Sin & Punishment game.

Also, are we just not going to point out the uncanny ressemblance Cadence now has with another famous indie with all the shovel-based moves she got in this game?
Yeah that would work. a 2d hand drawn sin and punishment would be cool

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Also, the demo is now available as well in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Just thinking about how she'd fight, I picture her having a, quite obvious, rhythm mechanic that rewards the player for keeping their input to a specific beat. This could be seen in both the way she animates (her idle stance would have her bob to the beat her inputs would be meant to be entered) and the visual rhythm from the Necrodancer HUD appearing over her portrait much like the meter for Hero. She can have the obsidian weapons equipped, which multiply her attacks based on how many consecutive times the beat is kept, and should it be kept long enough, her damage output/knockback becomes something that rivals those of Incineroar and Hero. Missing the beat reverts her back to the normal output and she can completely be played rhythmless (but receives no benefits for doing so).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The most rhythm you can pull off in a fighting game is inputting attack sequences with just frame timing. Otherwise any benefit gained from following it is outweighed by how predictable it makes you.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Understood, which is why I was trying to come up with a way she could be played less predictably while having some sort of advantage to her main mechanic. IE the mechanic makes her significantly stronger if the player risks predictability, but she'd be fully functioning and viable outside of it should the player need to break from it.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The most rhythm you can pull off in a fighting game is inputting attack sequences with just frame timing. Otherwise any benefit gained from following it is outweighed by how predictable it makes you.
Not if it beefs up enough by being on rhythm. Like DK’s final smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It gelt like nintendo didnt care at all about the game awards...
Can't blame them, honestly. Pretty much half of the award categories were shuffled through really fast, and the whole thing is just a thinly-veiled front for promoting rock concerts and movie promos now. Makes even E3 look more dignified. :mybodyisreggie:'s speech was the one most genuine moment and he's not working in the industry anymore.

At least Nintendo's games still managed to win awards.

Last edited:

Adkuate

Smash Rookie
Remember when they made a crossover with some titles from SC like Shiren the Wanderer, another roguelike series from the Mystery Dungeon franchise, or Danganronpa with arrangements from the same composer?

If one of them appears before Cadence, then she would have even more chances to be added in the game. Either as a DLC fighter or Mii costume with a medley arragement from CotN.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Remember when they made a crossover with some titles from SC like Shiren the Wanderer, another roguelike series from the Mystery Dungeon franchise, or Danganronpa with arrangements from the same composer?

If one of them appears before Cadence, then she would have even more chances to be added in the game. Either as a DLC fighter or Mii costume with a medley arragement from CotN.
not really, no character has an effect on anothers unless directly chosen over another

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! I've apparently never posted in this thread before, so I'm here to rectify that.

Cadence is a fun character. Crypt of the Necrodancer is a fantastic game once you get used to the mechanics and I love how much more attention its been getting lately. Cadence of Hyrule is an excellent fusion of it with a Zelda style as well.

I recall there was/is a lot of fan demand for her to be upgraded from NPC to playable in the Smash-clone Indie Pogo. It would be downright hilarious to me if she got into Smash Bros before that ever happened haha.

BUFF MY PUFF

Smash Apprentice
B- fireball, like heros except shorter range and wider, almost like Samus's custom move melee charge shot from sm4sh
side b- boomerang, cadence of hyrules magic boomerang
up b- Pulse- elwind, except electric and slightly shorter
down B- bomb spell (places on the screen and cantpick it up or move it, explodes after same amount of time in crypt of the necrodancer) or shield (pit's down b, but now purple)

Mechanics=
Beats- a heart beats on cadence's health bar, during a certain period of time (a couple frames every two seconds, very slim window), damage is 1.5x and cadence has super armor.

Blood magic- if you use a special move a second time before dealing damage with another, you take 30% of the damage the attck does.

Just my thoughts!

*update* forgot this. I was thinking alt skins could be Melody and Aria, and possibly others based off of armor.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been working on and off on what a Cadence challenger pack might look like, which of course includes a moveset concept. I'm mostly done with that part, but have been struggling with the neutral special.

I very recently decided that the best (or least complicated, at least) way to incorporate SOME form of rhythm gameplay would be making her specials (just her specials) require some sort of rhythmic input to use them or power them up. I have worked out the following:

• Side special: Torch
    • Cadence swings a Torch forward multiple times. This attack behaves like the pre-Ultimate version of Dancing Blade/Double-Edge Dance, except somewhat more powerful.
    • This attack requires B to be pressed with a rhythm matching with the very end of each swing. If the player mashes B too quickly, Cadence will burn herself and take minor damage, and if they take too long to press it, the torch will simply fizzle. In either case, the attack will prematurely end.
  • Up special: Boots of Leaping
    • Cadence jumps upward again as the Boots of Leaping appear on her feet. This attack can be used up to three times before Cadence enters freefall, but she will enter that state immediately if the player takes too long to make another input.
    • If the second input is made right at the end of the first’s animation, the Boots of Leaping will be replaced with the Winged Boots for this and the third input. The Winged Boots behave the same, but also have a wind effect that drags along any opponents close enough.
    • If the third input is made right at the end of the second’s animation, the Winged Boots will be replaced with the Boots of Pain, which can damage and potentially spike any opponents dragged along by the Winged Boots.
  • Down special: Shovel Strike
    • Cadence plunges the Shovel into the earth, causing rocky spikes to rise from the ground in front of her and launch opponents upward.
    • Hitting B as the spikes rise causes them to become larger and more powerful.
    • If this attack is used in the air, Cadence will plunge downward with the shovel, damaging any foes she hits as she falls.

I am unsure what to do with the neutral special. I most want to something involving a spell (maybe hitting B with a rhythm to charge it?), but can't decide what spell to use, or even if I should just look somewhere else for ideas.

Top Bottom