• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGC analogies

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Brawl is tennis, Melee is air hockey, 64 is fencing.
Hi, president of my university fencing club here.

There are three weapon types in fencing, all drastically different. There's:

Foil - Most competitive. Rewards individual play styles. Balance of aggression and defense; rewards intelligence + technique.
Sabre - Highly aggressive. First one to advance and touch usually gets the point. Rewards speed + reflexes.
Épée - Highly defensive. Matches very often go to timeout.
Rewards patience + endurance.

Basically.

You could easily separate each Smash game by each fencing weapon.

I mainly fence sabre, for the record. A bit of foil.

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
LOL you fence sabre?

alright so basically ur just a HS compet. noob right? i'd like to see ur broke *** in the olympics someday lmao

fencing died with the last great foiler

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
if marvel is boxing, that would mean nobody watches it anymore
Nope, Millions still watch it(Boxing) just a select few that use to watch it do to ______ no longer watch it. Could be the same as Marvel in some ways actually lol.

Pm is more Yo! Son Goku and friends return. Trying to fix gt by going back to the DBz age with better animations which was awesome even though it was pointless and the damage had been done.)
Project M is more like Dragonball Z Kai(cut out filler **** = buffing low tiers) as well as a complete rewriting of GT so that it's on par with the best of DBZ. because GT had alot of interesting characters but the executions sucked *** and it was by no means a worthy sequel to DBZ so GT is undoubtedly Brawl :urg:.

Melee is chess, 64 is rock-paper-scissors, Brawl is dodgeball.
Brawl isn't Dodgeball it's more like 2 snipers on opposite sides of the map and refusing to move...except it's not in CoD it's in a fighting game.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I guess this one, the analogy was that first contact gets the point.
Yeah, I agree.
High level foil and épée is almost all second/third-intention. Meaning, you never go in with an attack expecting it to be the thing that gets you the point. It's almost always baiting an attack or reaction so you can parry/riposte. Not to mention that in épée there is no right-of-way, so if both players touch each other, they both get a point.

In sabre, it's extremely difficult to get a clean parry/riposte, as any well-executed attack will almost always touch even if the blades do make contact. Thus, it's much more rewarding to be the first to attack in order to gain right-of-way.

To put it simply.

Sorry for the tangent. :awesome:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
PSASBR is IE because it's unbelievably slow and it takes forever to execute anything.

64 is Counter Strike
Melee is TFC
Brawl is TF2 (pre 2012 when it was good)

Battlecow

Play to Win
LOL you fence sabre?

alright so basically ur just a HS compet. noob right? i'd like to see ur broke *** in the olympics someday lmao

fencing died with the last great foiler
Foilist, and I'm still very much alive

foil = smash 64; good, takes actual skill

sabre = melee, heterosexual as **** and awesome but not as cool as foil/64

epee = brawl, boring and lame to watch and do and takes no skill

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Epee isn't that boring. You can hit wherever you want, gives you more options. It is a lot slower paced though.

But said it once, will say it again, this thread is really dumb and should be locked.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
64 is a really bad competitive game. Probably almost as bad as Brawl, just a lot more entertaining.

Battlecow

Play to Win
64 is a really bad competitive game. Probably almost as bad as Brawl, just a lot more entertaining.
You don't know what you're talking about bro

I mean if you wanna have this discussion we can but you should realize that I know--KNOW--in advance that you're wrong in serious, fundamental ways. Have you ever been in an argument like that? Where you know for a fact that you're about nine steps ahead of the other guy and it's just kind of boring even chopping your points up to the point where he can digest them? Do yourself a favor and sit this one out. If someone who had like played 64 or was really good at melee said this I'd have to hash it out, but I shouldn't here.

Epee's a fine sport I just hate it because everything about it is like foil-lite. Much less strenuous physically, you can get away with a lot less finesse and still be OK.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Hey is fencing something that takes a lot of money to start doing/something you have to start at a hella young age?

It sounds really sick lol

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Hey is fencing something that takes a lot of money to start doing/something you have to start at a hella young age?

It sounds really sick lol
I guess it depends on your goals. If you're looking to go to the Olympics, you're probably too late to start, haha. Otherwise, you're never too young to start. Look for a local fencing club/school and see what they charge. They'll usually provide gear.

:phone:

The Star King

Smash Hero
It's just for fun you scrub, goddamn not everything needs to be super serious... love you

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea i know you can't "tell" what the point is

thats why you keep coming in and derailing everything

k NOW please delete the thread

some swedish ****rag just spoiled the entire thing now im gonna uninstalll life

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
yea i know you can't "tell" what the point is

thats why you keep coming in and derailing everything

k NOW please delete the thread

some swedish ****rag just spoiled the entire thing now im gonna uninstalll life
I'm danish, thank you. Do not associate me with our ancestral Swedish enemies.

No need to delete this thread, **** it. Do whatever you want.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
You don't know what you're talking about bro

I mean if you wanna have this discussion we can but you should realize that I know--KNOW--in advance that you're wrong in serious, fundamental ways. Have you ever been in an argument like that? Where you know for a fact that you're about nine steps ahead of the other guy and it's just kind of boring even chopping your points up to the point where he can digest them? Do yourself a favor and sit this one out. If someone who had like played 64 or was really good at melee said this I'd have to hash it out, but I shouldn't here.

Epee's a fine sport I just hate it because everything about it is like foil-lite. Much less strenuous physically, you can get away with a lot less finesse and still be OK.
Ok hot shot, I'll humor you.

Tell us why smash 64 is a good/great competitive game.

D

Deleted member

it isn't, people who like 64 as a competitive game like lame, campy, bad stages, no-timer, no-skill to kill games then say its "competitive"

to compare it to street fighter 2 is ****ing awful because that is one of the hardest fighting games while 64 is VERY easy. sf2 is also fundamentally twice as quick and requires a lot of difficult links while smash 64 tests how to up-smash up-air 7 times as falcon to up-b

64 is a great casual game though. playing non-campy char battles, like link/samus dittos are really fun

==

ON TOPIC ANALOGIES:

melee = starcraft 1 = street fighter 3 = counter-strike 1.5-1.6 = marvel 2

BRAWL= starcraft 2 = street fighter 4 = counter-strike SOURCE

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What does a game need to be good or great competitively? Please define that.
A lot of things.

I just ant to have a discussion on the state of the game. Since battleco is so sure of himself, he must have a lot to say on the topic.

I'm not hating on 64, I'm igniting a hopefully informative discussion.

Top Bottom