• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feelings about new models and animations?

G&W's new look:

• Yes!

Votes: 53 58.2%
  • No!

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Hmmm...

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's going to take some time to get use to. They're neat references but I think I'd prefer it where it didn't feel like each attack felt like a different character.

If that makes sense

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They are fantastic. Gives him some personality.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As a Game and watch fan i love them, Mr Game and Watch's lack of eyes kinda bugged me cuz almost every other G&W Character has that, so this also fixes that

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They are fantastic. Gives him some personality.
Eh, I'd argue he had personality to begin with.

It'll take some getting used to, but I'm never against more nods to retro classics.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Eh, I'd argue he had personality to begin with.

It'll take some getting used to, but I'm never against more nods to retro classics.
Originally he kinda just had a mouth. and a nose
I'm happy now he actually has a full face to display more features

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Actually love how GnW's model changes depending on what attack you use. It's very fitting and canon.

I am going to try and main him. It will be fun, looks like such an interesting design.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Actually love how GnW's model changes depending on what attack you use. It's very fitting and canon.

I am going to try and main him. It will be fun, looks like such an interesting design.
As a Game and Watch main, i can say he's very fun.
A little easy to do combo, on low percents, do down throw followed up by judge. it's a hard combo to avoid and you may get a 9.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I think he looked better previously. Back then, not only was his design fairly consistent, but after every attack, it didn't look like he was a brand new character.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I think this might be the only change I've seen from Ultimate so far that I don't actually like. A lot of the other G&W models look off when compared to his classic look and I'm also not a big fan of the whole "changing into a whole new character when attacking" bit. It just feels super inconsistent and I feel it takes away from Mr. Game & Watch's individual charm.

I'll probably get used to it in time, but I'll probably always prefer his previous look.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
What I always liked about G&W was the way he moves. His attacks lack range but that kind of benefits him due to his size and speed. I don't know if these changes take away from that but I think it could add a neat mind-game element to him that is already pretty good.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I think we've only seen G&W when there's a complete focus on him and his animations, in standard play I would imagine that it would be less jarring to watch. G&W is interesting bc there's good reasons for the UT version and good reasons for him to be kept the same

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm thinking they might end up changing some of G&W's moves entirely to accommodate this new aesthetic as they took some creative liberties with certain moves like down tilt and bair.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm thinking they might end up changing some of G&W's moves entirely to accommodate this new aesthetic as they took some creative liberties with certain moves like down tilt and bair.
Alternatively, those may just remain the same.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I think this is one of the only appearance changes in Ultimate I don't like so far, it just looks jarring and inconsistent.

I always felt GaW was like a single character who took things from other Game and Watch games for a unique moveset and this flies in the face of it

However, it seems like it only affects a few moves which is nice

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I would assume, at least for his forward smash, that's because the game it's from he was a headband-wearing stereotype of a native american.

I can't imagine that going in without some backlash.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm a fan. I started playing as G&W a lot in U/DS, having previously ignored him in Melee and Brawl. I thought his moves were quite zany, but he didnt have the personality to match. With the new expressions, I think this is realized.

SHOTSTUNDAVE

Smash Rookie
The new animations don't bother me cuz he was always a weird shapeshifting creature, this just emphasizes it.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well, as far as him "changing into multiple characters" and being inconsistent goes, if you think about it, every character in every gallery game is just Mr. Game and Watch himself since they're all nameless black figures. Not sure if that is coherent enough but its like...the whole name was created in Smash to represent the blank slates that were the people in those games. Now they just appear more.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
At first I disliked it when I first watched his trailer, now I just want to see how it will look in-game. I really like Mr. Game & Watch and his retro-looking animation so it's a "wait and see" for me.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It will take some getting used to for me. I don’t have much of a problem with it, but it is quite a visual update whereas we’re so used to seeing him in his “base model” for everything. And then still, there are a few moves that have not been shown off yet, so we don’t know if he changes form in those ones (though I would assume he does). Regardless, I’m still a G&W main, so the changes probably won’t deter me from playing as him. It might just seem a bit...off.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I think he’s かわいい ^ - ^

Also, someone pointed out in the Pokémon trainer thread that when he grabs the opponent and throws them with the ball animation, they turn into their stock icon. Very meta ;)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think he’s かわいい ^ - ^

Also, someone pointed out in the Pokémon trainer thread that when he grabs the opponent and throws them with the ball animation, they turn into their stock icon. Very meta ;)
It is, isn’t it? Cause then, he’s literally toying with his opponent’s life.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I was thinking about this and see it as an evolution of him using his Octopus helmet for his Usmash and the Helmet helmet for dash attack. I looked at some of the pics and he seems larger when using Chef. Is it just me who thinks this?

Last edited:

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
They look a bit weird in succession but I think they'll look much cleaner in gameplay since the sequence was just to show off G&W's new animations and call-backs

Thomp

Smash Rookie
They look nice in my opinion. game and watch now looks more expressive than ever.

D

Deleted member

I love 'em. I'm a big aesthetic guy so it made me happy. I think it'll be hard to sway me away from K Rool as my main but I wanna take G&W seriously this game; and adding little aesthetic things certainly makes me want to play him. Maybe that's just me.

Augi

Smash Cadet
With the game now out, I really like the animation changes. For me it brings the series of "Game & Watch" games to life and also celebrates the kookie unique art style of it.

I like the idea of looking like a simple chef or a nervous crop sprayer slinging sausages and spraying insecticide at dragon-like behemoths and Intimidating Anime Badass with Sword #37. It's fun and funny.

I will say, having seen how G&W originally looked with the feather-band with his F-Smash, I can't unsee it and now the animation always looks incomplete to me. I know this could stray into a sensitive topic... so it's probably best I end my opinion on it here.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
They should have gone back to the original torch attack instead keeping the new one in and just removing the headband. It looks awkward now.

The only negative comment I got on this. G&W has always been a top five main for me and I adore the special attention they've given him with each new game. Now with Ultimate, he's aesthetically robust and a truly jarring troll character. While I'll have to tinker with him a bit to get the new feel down (forward and up air throw me off), I fully intend to be good with him and prank opponents online.

Honestly, all of his moves seem to effectively double as taunts now, and this should please the type of person that mains G&W lol. It's really awesome.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Speaking of things that feel off, his Forward Air.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Even when used for its "intended" purpose fair feels really awkward because of how precisely you need to space it to get it connect against aerial opponents.

If they retained its current properties but made it explode on contact with opponents it would be amazing.

Top Bottom