• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

February 8th, 2014 - Y-Town Throwdown I - Melee/PM - Feat. Mango, S0ft, Abate - Youngstown, OH

What should the side event for Y-Town Throwdown I be?

• Crew Battles (any size)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Low-Tier Tournament

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Project M (would need setups)

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Im gonna make this my first tourney in a good while if I can find a doubles partner. I play marth/falco/fox. If anybody needs partner, pm me.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Im gonna make this my first tourney in a good while if I can find a doubles partner. I play marth/falco/fox. If anybody needs a partner, pm me.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
By request, here are the current 32 names that have priority when it comes to PM (note: If you filled the form and you are not on this list, you are still signed up; if a member on this list does not show, we will go down the list and pick the earliest date signed up to replace them)

Also, we had a number of troll names (:facepalm:), so I will exclude them from the list.
PM Player List
Get Low
OreoKirby
rsolanki
Duda
MissRarity
Sweet
Z-axis
Nerf Herder
Gelton
4%
Finnz7
Drephen
Zero
DLX
Navi
BluntedMask
Jesiah
Asylum
NightroGlycerine
DerfMW
VanZ
Vidjo
Pikamaster12
Mark Michaels
Prince Abu
1der
ShroudedOne
Ant Man
Vert Gasai
Mundo
Cigarette Sheik
TimeSmash

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
So, if you guys already haven't guessed, I'm nixing the Melee Amateur bracket for time constraints. I did this a while ago, but I never really announced it. Can't wait to see everyone on Saturday!

mr.magik

Smash Cadet
by the way, GetLow, and Freak, let me know if you need any help during the tourney. i would be happy to help you guys if you are under staffed for what ever reason. i would love to help the community any way i can. see you guys saturday

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
So they're calling for maybe a foot of snow on Saturday. If that happens IDK if I (or the other 4 in my car) will make it. rt. I90 from NY to Ohio will pretty much get **** on by the sounds of it.

Also If we make it and the weather turns to crap while we are there, would anyone be able to house 5? Just in case. I really really don't want to stay in Ohio over night but who knows.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Magik:

Let's say there are 64 people who enter melee singles, and they are arranged into 8 pools of 8. Furthermore, the top 4 from each pool advance into bracket.

If an amateur bracket does not exist, the 32 people who couldn't make it out of pools are just out of the tournament and have no more matches to play. However, in tournaments with an amateur bracket, these 32 would get put into their own bracket and get the opportunity to play out a couple more games against other pool losers. As far as I know, there is typically no prize for winning the amateur bracket because, well, you're already out of the main tournament, but it gives noobs a chance to play a few more serious matches.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way we can increase the cap for P:M? That's primarily what me and the people I'm bringing are coming for.

It's kind of lame that I got this all together well in advance, arranging people and two setups, and a cap was announced after the fact, which filled almost immediately. Not that I'm attacking the host or anything, I'm just bummed out.

Not everyone can check this board frequently, and it really sucks to see P:M get filled up so quickly.

How strapped for time are we going to be?
How many entries for melee are we expecting?

I apologize if I'm coming off as a jerk, but when I read about this tourney in the first place, it said signups started in person at the venue, and now I'm going to miss out on P:M because that was changed later

mr.magik

Smash Cadet
Magik:

Let's say there are 64 people who enter melee singles, and they are arranged into 8 pools of 8. Furthermore, the top 4 from each pool advance into bracket.

If an amateur bracket does not exist, the 32 people who couldn't make it out of pools are just out of the tournament and have no more matches to play. However, in tournaments with an amateur bracket, these 32 would get put into their own bracket and get the opportunity to play out a couple more games against other pool losers. As far as I know, there is typically no prize for winning the amateur bracket because, well, you're already out of the main tournament, but it gives noobs a chance to play a few more serious matches.
i was a little worried that if you werent a big name player you coudlnt play in the real tournament or something. thanks you for the clarification

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Is there any way we can increase the cap for P:M? That's primarily what me and the people I'm bringing are coming for.

It's kind of lame that I got this all together well in advance, arranging people and two setups, and a cap was announced after the fact, which filled almost immediately. Not that I'm attacking the host or anything, I'm just bummed out.

Not everyone can check this board frequently, and it really sucks to see P:M get filled up so quickly.

I apologize if I'm coming off as a jerk, but when I read about this tourney in the first place, it said signups started in person at the venue, and now I'm going to miss out on P:M because that was changed later
PM is really strapped for time, especially since we're having nearly 100 people plus coming for multiple events. I'm sorry I can't help you guys out, but we're already really strapped for time as is, and PM is going to be really hard to run with the current setup we have. If we didn't have as big of a turnout I might be able to increase the cap, but for now I can't really do much.

Get Low

Smash Ace

First off, why would you not be on the lookout frequently for updates for tournaments that you plan on attending? Anyone with internet can get on Smashboards; it's not really that difficult.
Secondly, it took like two weeks for 32 people to register for PM.
Ugh, I'm sorry. It's just that my biggest smash pet peve is when people don't pay attention to updates about the tournaments they're going to, and then complain about it when they're the last person to know something important.
Even Mango was like, "Hurr durr I missed pre-reg but I'm Mango and I deserve to be in it because I think I'm the best player ever." Um, no.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
PM is really strapped for time, especially since we're having nearly 100 people plus coming for multiple events. I'm sorry I can't help you guys out, but we're already really strapped for time as is, and PM is going to be really hard to run with the current setup we have. If we didn't have as big of a turnout I might be able to increase the cap, but for now I can't really do much.
Fair enough man. Like I said in my post, I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk, just bummed out because I was really excited for the PM tournament.

First off, why would you not be on the lookout frequently for updates for tournaments that you plan on attending? Anyone with internet can get on Smashboards; it's not really that difficult.
I really don't have any other excuse other than I'm not on Smashboards near often enough to keep an eye on this thread. This is also going to be my first actual tournament, so I wasn't prepared for how things could change.

Secondly, it took like two weeks for 32 people to register for PM.
Again, totally my fault. I saw the tournament, marked it on my calendar and kind of walked away from it, thinking it'd be ok.

Ugh, I'm sorry. It's just that my biggest smash pet peve is when people don't pay attention to updates about the tournaments they're going to, and then complain about it when they're the last person to know something important.
Even Mango was like, "Hurr durr I missed pre-reg but I'm Mango and I deserve to be in it because I think I'm the best player ever." Um, no.
Don't be sorry man, you've got every right to be annoyed with me. It's all good. Even if I can't enter the PM tournament, I can at least enter melee, and then play friendlies all day. Should be a good time either way

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so is Mango actually coming? If so, there goes all my (distant) dreams of doing anything even close to well.

Should be pretty cool to (potentially) get a chance to play someone as well known as Mango

I'm sorry for sounding like a jerk. I hope you enjoy the tournament anyway. These past few weeks in terms of getting things situated for the tournament have been really stressful for me, enough to the point where I had to give up responsibility of running the P:M bracket to someone else
Don't worry about it man. Being a TO sounds like a huge pain in the ass, so being stressed is totally understandable.

I'm coming with a "mini crew" of my co-worker, by brother and his friend. I've already pre-registered all of us for melee and PM, on the off chance we can squeeze into the PM tournament.

I do have a small issue though. My brother and his friend want to enter doubles, which they didn't tell me about until just now. Can I just re-submit their names into the pre-reg form or should I PM someone to make the official change, or maybe just deal with it when we arrive? (hopefully around 10:30ish)

Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting into this, should be a good time

Last edited:

Get Low

Smash Ace
I don't think those were Mango's exact words, lol
Clearly not, but it was what he was implying.

Don't be sorry man, you've got every right to be annoyed with me. It's all good. Even if I can't enter the PM tournament, I can at least enter melee, and then play friendlies all day. Should be a good time either way
I'm sorry for sounding like a jerk. I hope you enjoy the tournament anyway. These past few weeks in terms of getting things situated for the tournament have been really stressful for me, enough to the point where I had to give up responsibility of running the P:M bracket to someone else.

yo whats the parking situation look like? Any free parking in the area? Any tips?
https://www.facebook.com/events/175041089352361/

Get Low

Smash Ace
Wait, so is Mango actually coming? If so, there goes all my (distant) dreams of doing anything even close to well.

Should be pretty cool to (potentially) get a chance to play someone as well known as Mango
He's legit going. Prepare to lose four stocks.

Edit: I made it my goal in life to never double-post, and I accidentally just did it. Crap.

Last edited:

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
He's legit going. Prepare to lose four stocks.

Edit: I made it my goal in life to never double-post, and I accidentally just did it. Crap.
Well, that's really exciting/discouraging. I edited my last post to, just an FYI. Some other questions/issues

Get Low

Smash Ace
I'm coming with a "mini crew" of my co-worker, by brother and his friend. I've already pre-registered all of us for melee and PM, on the off chance we can squeeze into the PM tournament.

I do have a small issue though. My brother and his friend want to enter doubles, which they didn't tell me about until just now. Can I just re-submit their names into the pre-reg form or should I PM someone to make the official change, or maybe just deal with it when we arrive? (hopefully around 10:30ish)

Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting into this, should be a good time
A tad confused, because there is no Melee pre-reg. There was only pre-reg for P:M. Anyone who wants to play Melee singles or doubles is allowed to. All you do is register when you get to the tournament.
But if you were referring to P:M doubles, we actually aren't doing that this tournament.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
A tad confused, because there is no Melee pre-reg. There was only pre-reg for P:M. Anyone who wants to play Melee singles or doubles is allowed to. All you do is register when you get to the tournament.
But if you were referring to P:M doubles, we actually aren't doing that this tournament.
Nope, I was talking about this link https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=5qjzqCB*8VVBcc5NrcS8Fg which is listed in the OP at the top of page one. Is melee registration (singles and doubles) going to be strictly in person? If so, then we're all good.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Nope, I was talking about this link https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=5qjzqCB*8VVBcc5NrcS8Fg which is listed in the OP at the top of page one. Is melee registration (singles and doubles) going to be strictly in person? If so, then we're all good.
Oh geez, I don't even know why Freky made that. Actually, I do. I think he just wanted a general consensus of who was coming to the tournament. But yeah, all Melee registration is in person.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Nicaboy- Sorry bout the late reply but yeah that's perfect, I need tourney Sheik exp

So $5 with Nica, probably at least $5 with APR, cool.

Anyone else for MM's?

I'm primarily looking to do as many as possible since I don't go out of state a whooole lot, and I just want more legit sets that count to get more used to playing sets under pressure/with tournament rules/standards. So if anyone's interested lemme know.

Other than that, I definitely want to do as many friendlies with people as possible just to learn, get exp and refine my game. So if you don't want to MM but still want to play just find me, I have white hair and will be wearing a bright green flow athletics tshirt, shouldn't be hard at all to find me lol

VERY EXCITED! :)

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
anyone still need a partner? as long as you're funny, i'll team with you. (and you need to sit around and play melee most of your life)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
i need a teammate whose down?
I'm still looking for one.
Let me know tomorrow if you still don't have one.
I think you have experience with ICs as a partner right? I remember trail telling me you guys used to play a lot.
If not, then no worries.

mr.magik

Smash Cadet
Nicaboy- Sorry bout the late reply but yeah that's perfect, I need tourney Sheik exp

So $5 with Nica, probably at least $5 with APR, cool.

Anyone else for MM's?
ohhhh Jesiah...... How Dare You not including me in that MM. i am of course MMing you once i show up so be ready my man.

(sniff sniff) smell that. that is new rivalry brewing. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Top Bottom