• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

February 8th, 2014 - Y-Town Throwdown I - Melee/PM - Feat. Mango, S0ft, Abate - Youngstown, OH

What should the side event for Y-Town Throwdown I be?

• Crew Battles (any size)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Low-Tier Tournament

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Project M (would need setups)

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters

TeamFsmash2013

Smash Rookie
I just moved back home and was wanting to go to a tourney. This seems awesome! It'll be cool to meet the NEOH/PGH Melee kids. :3

Fire Blazer

Smash Cadet
An hour and some minutes away, huh? Well with no Brawl it's probably not worth it, but good luck anyhow, I hope lots of people show up and you can host more tournaments :O

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Schedule updated. Since I think we'll have more setups than expected, I revised the schedule a bit:

EDIT 1/1/14 This is out of date. Post down there has updated schedule.

Last edited:

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
This looks pretty great.
It's been a while since I have been to a Melee tournament.
Whether or not I attend will depend on whether or not I can catch a ride from someone in the area.
Anyone near Mount Vernon? I have gas money.

Get Low

Smash Ace
It's just Melee Brian. Not PM nor Brawl.
An hour and some minutes away, huh? Well with no Brawl it's probably not worth it, but good luck anyhow, I hope lots of people show up and you can host more tournaments :O
I forreal laughed out loud when I read these comments.
Yeah guys, Brawl is so good. You definitely shouldn't come because we're not hosting the greatest game ever, Brawl.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
After feedback from the boards and from people on the Facebook event, I've made the final decision:

PROJECT M WILL BE AT Y-TOWN THROWDOWN!

Entry will probably be $5. Bring your setups; more info including rulesets and more coming soon. Get hype!!

SoulPech

Smash Master
I forreal laughed out loud when I read these comments.
Yeah guys, Brawl is so good. You definitely shouldn't come because we're not hosting the greatest game ever, Brawl.
PM > Brawl > Melee.

That is all. now that PM is here, I may go now. If it was just Melee then there's no reason for me to go since I don't play the game. It's like eating your worst favorite food.

Last edited:

Angelo Re

Smash Rookie
Has their been a decision for the AM bracket? I think that would be pretty chill

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Has their been a decision for the AM bracket? I think that would be pretty chill
It'll probably depend on time. If we're running out of time when Melee pools are over, it'll probably be scrapped, but as of right now it's in. Winner gets entry fee back.

Get Low

Smash Ace
PM > Brawl > Melee.

That is all. now that PM is here, I may go now. If it was just Melee then there's no reason for me to go since I don't play the game. It's like eating your worst favorite food.
Fair enough. I love your analogy.
But I'm curious, why is it that you, and many other Brawl players I know of worship Project M but still don't really like Melee?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
it's bc they're embarrassed that Melee truly is better, and after so staunchly defending Brawl after it came out, they can't possibly back down now lol. Let's just be honest here.

Anyway, is this gonna end up being another random 60+ attendance Ohio tournament? It's kinda far away from me, but if I can get some interest in some other WV folk, I'll look into it.

Get Low

Smash Ace
it's bc they're embarrassed that Melee truly is better, and after so staunchly defending Brawl after it came out, they can't possibly back down now lol. Let's just be honest here.

Anyway, is this gonna end up being another random 60+ attendance Ohio tournament? It's kinda far away from me, but if I can get some interest in some other WV folk, I'll look into it.
First part of your post, I couldn't agree with it more.
As for the 60+ attendance thing at Ohio tournaments, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a regular thing now. Between Ohio and the Pittsburgh area, the number of new players, as well as the number of players who have come out of retirement, is skyrocketing. You WV folk should make the trip more often, though it's far, because I guarantee that it's worth it.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I'm not gonna turn this into a "which game is better" post, so I'll explain why i don't like Melee. I don't like Melee because to me it feels stiff, whereas when I play brawl and PM it's more fluid. I will agree that Brawl is too floaty, but that isn't an issue for me. Another reason is because with melee you can't create your own controls. I hate tap jump and my hands/fingers are too small to do the inputs I want to do. I also lacked the motor skills for the heavy tech stuff. Like, I couldn't do the short jump double laser with fox...it was that bad. With Brawl and PM, it allowed for me to do what I want to do.

Joking aside, that's why I don't like Melee and prefer Brawl and PM. I don't deny they post about "embarassed Melee is truly better.....can't possibly back down now" because it's your opinion, but I will say it's baseless. Also, please don't say "They're" because it implies that we are all grouped in categories, when in reality we are all a community and should be supportive, despite the difference.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna turn this into a "which game is better" post, so I'll explain why i don't like Melee. I don't like Melee because to me it feels stiff, whereas when I play brawl and PM it's more fluid. I will agree that Brawl is too floaty, but that isn't an issue for me. Another reason is because with melee you can't create your own controls. I hate tap jump and my hands/fingers are too small to do the inputs I want to do. I also lacked the motor skills for the heavy tech stuff. Like, I couldn't do the short jump double laser with fox...it was that bad. With Brawl and PM, it allowed for me to do what I want to do.
Bro, I still can't SHDL with Fox; that's why I main Peach.
Other than that, major respect points, sir.
First time I've seen a valid argument for Brawl/PM > Melee.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Schedule updated. Since I think we'll have more setups than expected, I revised the schedule a bit:

Tentative Schedule
10 AM – Venue opens
11:45 AM - Doubles registration closes
12:00 PM – Melee Doubles begins
Lunch break after doubles.
3 PM – Melee Singles Pools/Bracket begins
11 PM - Venue closes
So will Singles registration be open until the Pools start?

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Double post: Those who are bringing PM setups will still get their venue fee waived, however it would be a BIG help if you brought along a Melee disc if you had it so your setup can be used for pools if we need it. If you can't/don't have one it's cool, but it would really help to run the tournament as smoothly as possible.

Last edited:

S0FT

Smash Ace
I was pretty interested in coming to this, but I would arrive at the megabus station in Cleveland. Is there a way someone driving from Cleveland could give me a ride there and back?

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
New tentative schedule. I worked it out a little bit to try and accommodate to those who want to play Melee Doubles and Project M singles, as I originally planned to run both at once (Which would be really mean to do. :p)

10 AM - Doors open
11:45 AM - Melee Doubles Registration closes
12:00 PM - Melee Doubles Bracket begins
2:45 PM - Melee Singles Registration closes
3:00 PM - Melee Singles Pools begins
6:00 PM - Project M begins
10:00 PM - Venue closes

Hopefully this new schedule will help out all those who want to do both PM and Doubles.

The PM time is not exactly 6 PM; it'll all depend on how far we are in Melee Bracket. I plan to start it about halfway/a third of the way through the bracket.

NOTE: If you're bringing a PM setup, please try and make it before 12 PM; I would like to get a good headcount of setups before the events start.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
Update: Ohio is larger than expected. Unsure if I can get a Cincinnati car there or not. Will update again when I know more.

Luminoth, are you looking for more people to ride with you?.

Last edited:

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Update: I planned to change this earlier, but never really got around to it until Dirac reminded on FB. Due to increased attendance expectations, payout amounts have been changed. Check em out:

(30 entrants or less)
1st: 70%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%

(31-49 entrants)
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
(50+ entrants)
1st: 45%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
5th: 2.5%
5th: 2.5%

Last edited:

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
As of right now, I'm planning on being there, along with a friend. 2 entries to Melee singles and P:M singles.

Just to clarify, does a CRT/Wii/Melee Disc/Brawl Disc/Memory Card/SD Card count as a P:M setup and a Melee setup?

That's what we plan to bring, I'll update here if things fall through and we can't make it.

So pumped for this, 12 years of smash play and this would be my first official tournament! Woo!!!

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Just to clarify, does a CRT/Wii/Melee Disc/Brawl Disc/Memory Card/SD Card count as a P:M setup and a Melee setup?
I can count them as both.

We plan to run Melee pools first right after doubles and PM during Melee brackets, so your setup would probably be used first for Melee pools and then for PM.

Get Low

Smash Ace
We plan to run Melee pools first right after doubles and PM during Melee brackets, so your setup would probably be used first for Melee pools and then for PM.
*Sigh* Just so you know, I'm going to help you run brackets and pools, because running a tournament with pools AND hosting a side event in one day is a lot more work than I think you realize.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
*Sigh* Just so you know, I'm going to help you run brackets and pools, because running a tournament with pools AND hosting a side event in one day is a lot more work than I think you realize.
I'm always open to volunteers.
I have ideas of how stuff is going to plan out, but I'm open to suggestions, too.

Last edited:

Finns7

Smash Ace
..............Wait im not the only smash player in youngstown I tried to get something organized years ago with brawl+ I can forsure bring 4 more people to this, I attended ysu in 2012 but i never would of guest someone would throw a pm tourney...I can bring a wii/melee/ and project m btw if anyone wants to private message me they can been a minute since i been on here..

..almost forgot..we need turbo mode bi weeklies lol thats the true way to play smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom