• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Features you want In Ultimate 3.0

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
In the last Nintendo Direct, a new update for Smash Ultimate was announced for spring. 3.0 marks the 2nd major update to the game this year. However, it was just a tease, as no features or changes were announced, but they did say we'll have to wait and see. With this being such a big update, what features are you hoping to be added in the next version of the game? Here's a few things I want to see.

* Ability to display combo counter during a match - Until now the combo counter has only been visible in the training mode of every Smash Bros. game. But I would like the option to display a combo counter during an actual match in the rules settings this time. This can make it easier to tell what moves can hit-confirm at what percents during an actual match. It also makes it easier to keep track of the hits during a match as well.

* Some additions to the Training mode - While on the subject of combos, adding the option to display a hitstun timer in the training menu would be a welcome change. That way you don't have to do as much guess work experimenting with different combos, since you have an easier time to judge how long you have to follow up. In addition, the ability to Switch control to the training dummy and record a movement pattern would also be nice. CPU AI can only do so much, so the ability to record a pre-set would make techniques and combos easier to test in a human environment.

* Home-Run Contest - This is a baffling exclusion from the base game IMO. It's been in every Smash since Melee, but here, no dice. Not sure if its exclusion has to do with Ultimate's new physics, but if that's not the case, this mode really needs to return in the future.

* Smash event Seasons - Here's a fun idea, what if there were themed Seasons for online and elite Smash? Sort of like Splatoon's Splatfests, or Fortnite Seasons. Every month or so, there'd be a themed online event, and you'd go online and play hoping your side or character wins. This can add more meat to the online mode (Which let's be honest, it really needs) and encourage you to come back each season for different themed matches.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
●Unlimited blocking to avoid future unpleasant experiences in Quickplay.

●Perhaps make GSP seasonal. Every new season, GSP resets. Maybe that would help people care more about playing and less about GSP. Or hide GSP from your opponent in the result screen and have the rank only show a bronze, silver, gold, platinum icon.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Two small things that would make competitively play run more quickly:

Make Stage Hazardless toggle in the same rotation as Battlefield and Omega forms on the Stage Select Screen rather than in the ruleset. Not only would this make picking both hazards and hazardless variants of the stage quicker to access, potentially expanding the stage list, but it would also make these stages available for training mode, which currently does not have a rules page.

Remember the character selection of each character, and in Squad Strike, remember the name and all three characters for both players as well as the number of characters. I don't get why the CPU character choice is remembered but yours isn't aside from "encouraging people to play different characters", and I feel like Squad Strike could be a more legitimate scene if it were much quicker to start each match.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Make Stage Hazardless toggle in the same rotation as Battlefield and Omega forms on the Stage Select Screen rather than in the ruleset.
I think a lot of people are clamoring for this.

I'd also like for moving platforms (Town & City, Find Mii, Umbra Clock Tower...) not to be disabled as hazards. Losing them ruins more levels than it improves. Actually, the only one I think it improves is 75m... and the improved version is still unplayable.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If you don't want to care about GSP, then don't. I like to see it.
Given how the human brain is structured, good luck with that. The human brain feeds off rewards and loathes loss. There are studies you can find regarding this. If GSP is the cause of people avoiding best of three or even just sticking around at all because they care more about points than they care about learning, then it would seem appropriate either to not display it, reduce its importance, or get rid of it. I never said you couldn't or shouldn't be able to see your own. It's seeing the opponent's that's the issue.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Aside from the obvious like new modes, having the hazard toggle accessible from the stage select like it always should have been would be the ****. I can't tell you how much it bothers me that once I start up an online room, I'm locked into either hazards on or hazards off for the rest of the session unless I break up the room. I'm also in full support of a complete overhaul of Smash Ultimate's online as a whole (it has so many glaring issues it'd basically take a total rework to fix them all), but that's a longshot that I doubt will ever happen.
Oh, and this is kind of a nitpick, but please remember preferred palettes for characters. Freaking Smash 3DS did this, what's Ultimate's excuse?

Last edited:

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
Training mode is honestly the most lacking thing in Ultimate that should be updated. Been getting into Street Fighter V recently and it has made me realize how lacking Ultimate's training mode is. Here's the features I'm looking for:

1. Dear god let me turn off stage hazards when i'm in training mode
Self explanatory.

2. Recording and playback of inputs
Most other fighting games have this in their training modes as it allows you to practice punishes and setups consistently and easily. Preferably we could have multiple slots to store recordings, but that's secondary.

3. Tech/Getup configuration
Currently, the CPU dosen't tech at all when you are in training mode. This makes practicing tech chasing difficult as you can't get experience with reaction chasing outside of a real match. Options to set tech in place, tech roll, miss tech, and tech randomly would all be nice. Getup options would be added as well, allowing you to set random or a certain getup you want to practice on.

4. Infinite Shield/OOS configuration
Another thing that is nigh impossible to get experience out of without actively playing against another player is spacing and poking shield. Infinite shield for both you and the CPU and being able to set (and record) out of shield punishes would help players practice spacing on shields, something that is now very hard to do without a real player.

5. Display frame data
This one is a long shot, but displaying frame data on moves (lag, hitstun, startup, etc) would also be very helpful as well.

I hope nintendo does something with their training mode in 3.0

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
Make it not take a decade to load my character color choice.

Fix arenas so we can switch characters/stages without leaving the queue.

Hazard toggle either built into the stage select screen, or as a separate menu like the one for random stages.

Add a rotation mode to the tournament mode, like what Melee and Brawl had. Doing rotation in standard Smash is kinda tedious.

Make tournament mode able to work with multiple Switch consoles linked, with one being the master unit to control it. Since up to 8 Switches can be linked for games like Mario Kart, etc., this should work with the same number or potentially more. Possibly make them link over local wifi?

Tied into that, make double elimination an option in tournament mode. With this and the above change, you can run an entire bracket without the need for anything else.

Less important, but making team battles available in tournaments and squad strike would be cool.

Balance changes. While I have some specific things I would like to see nerfed/buffed, I won't get into that. Primarily, I want to see echo fighters made more unique from their base fighters. Daisy, Dark Samus, and Richter are essentially just alternate costumes. They have only the tiniest of differences and that is a shame. Dark Pit could be more different too.

Break the targets. I wouldn't mind if it was like Brawl's version, though individual Melee/64 style ones would be sweet.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Training mode is honestly the most lacking thing in Ultimate that should be updated. Been getting into Street Fighter V recently and it has made me realize how lacking Ultimate's training mode is. Here's the features I'm looking for:

1. Dear god let me turn off stage hazards when i'm in training mode
Self explanatory.

2. Recording and playback of inputs
Most other fighting games have this in their training modes as it allows you to practice punishes and setups consistently and easily. Preferably we could have multiple slots to store recordings, but that's secondary.

3. Tech/Getup configuration
Currently, the CPU dosen't tech at all when you are in training mode. This makes practicing tech chasing difficult as you can't get experience with reaction chasing outside of a real match. Options to set tech in place, tech roll, miss tech, and tech randomly would all be nice. Getup options would be added as well, allowing you to set random or a certain getup you want to practice on.

4. Infinite Shield/OOS configuration
Another thing that is nigh impossible to get experience out of without actively playing against another player is spacing and poking shield. Infinite shield for both you and the CPU and being able to set (and record) out of shield punishes would help players practice spacing on shields, something that is now very hard to do without a real player.

5. Display frame data
This one is a long shot, but displaying frame data on moves (lag, hitstun, startup, etc) would also be very helpful as well.

I hope nintendo does something with their training mode in 3.0
I'm all for training mode being improved, but I've been playing since 64 and up until Sm4sh and Ultimate training mode felt like nothing more than an after thought in the first place. In Melee it was a total joke.. locking the c-stick to the camera was just a bizarre choice, thank god for 20XX I suppose. Regardless, without other human beings or mod trickery, Smash Training Mode has never been anything worth its salt. It's still valuable, you still should lab out as much as you can.. but it's always been lacking compared to other offerings in FG's. I wish Nintendo would improve it, but I don't see them doing it.

I'd like some minor alterations to ledge mechanics (nothing so drastic as replacing trumping with hogging or anything, but some fine-tuning could go a long way imo) and a complete overhaul of the online. I've fully given up on Elite Smash / Quickplay at this point, so mostly what I'm asking for is to make Battle Arena's as good as they possibly could be. No more spectators causing lag, no more 1v1's only, no more having to leave the line to change characters.. etc. I'm VERY happy with Ultimate thus far and while not perfect, it has definitely become the only Smash game I want to play anymore and that is coming from a competitive stand point, not a casual one. That said, some choices Nintendo made (mainly with online) were just REALLY bizarre and leave me scratching my head.. so I'm always down for those to be fixed.

Otherwise, mainly what other people have said. Hazard toggle so ruleset hazards off doesn't completely gouge certain stages and make them feel hollow. Making skins load sooner.. etc.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Boss Battle Mode.

This game has enough awesome boss fights that it's a shame you have to go so far out of your way to fight them.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Given how the human brain is structured, good luck with that. The human brain feeds off rewards and loathes loss. There are studies you can find regarding this. If GSP is the cause of people avoiding best of three or even just sticking around at all because they care more about points than they care about learning, then it would seem appropriate either to not display it, reduce its importance, or get rid of it. I never said you couldn't or shouldn't be able to see your own. It's seeing the opponent's that's the issue.
I like a point system that goes up with a win but dont go down with a lose, ranking would still be there but in the online lobby

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Without a system that puts a clear and direct weight to win / loss ratios and also has checks in place to make sure nobody can easily manipulate said system, a ranked system will never even be close to functional in a Smash game. GSP is a total mess and months into the game people still haven't figured it out 100% and get surprised by what it does, it would've been okay as a general indicator of how well one has done in general for more casual ranked-play but for any kind of actual competitive system it's a total joke. Not that online rankings in a game like Smash will EVER matter, anyway. If it didn't go down in a venue, on stream somewhere.. the game didn't matter. To be honest.. I'm fine with that.

Still no excuse for the crap online overall, though.. and if Nintendo IS going to try and rank online play, they can at least get it right.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
⁃ A stage for R.O.B.
⁃ Break the targets where each character has his own stage.
⁃ Descriptions on the spirits like the trophies had.
⁃ Codecs for all characters.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
It’s unlikely, but I would like to see Squad Strike online. That mode is very cool and it has so much potential, I think it would be great for online play.

Plazza

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7851-1403-2619
I'd like a better way to play quickplay without having to play people camping for GSP, a better system for GSP, and Break the Targets.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Then you don't like ranking systems. That's technically what GSP is.
To compound off of that, having a score that doesn't go down based on wins AND losses isn't a ranked system at ALL like he mentioned at the end of his post. It's not ranking anything, it's just an arbitrary measurement of how long you've kept at it if nothing else. Sure, good players could rise up the 'ranks' fast, but there's absolutely nothing to stop Joe in his attic with his arthritis from playing a game of attrition over a few months to get into the same player pools.. just not a good idea outside a of a purely casual system with no competitive focus at all.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I like a point system that goes up with a win but dont go down with a lose, ranking would still be there but in the online lobby
The game tracks your how many victories you have had in various modes. The victory counters fit your description. They go up if you win and stay the same if you lose.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Yeah but it's in no way at all 'ranked' like he said.. it's just an arbitrary number without losses to back it up. It COULD mean you're a good player, or it COULD mean you just kept playing through your losses for a long time.. any system that allows 'ranked' matches between those two players is a bad one, thus not something I'd ever want to see put into the game. It would do more harm than good.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
⁃ A stage for R.O.B.
⁃ Break the targets where each character has his own stage.
⁃ Descriptions on the spirits like the trophies had.
⁃ Codecs for all characters.
I'd love to see every single one of these, but even I know this is pretty much wishful thinking.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
But what if Mac had a good aerial?

But what IF?

1 like = 1 heart on fire

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
To compound off of that, having a score that doesn't go down based on wins AND losses isn't a ranked system at ALL like he mentioned at the end of his post. It's not ranking anything, it's just an arbitrary measurement of how long you've kept at it if nothing else. Sure, good players could rise up the 'ranks' fast, but there's absolutely nothing to stop Joe in his attic with his arthritis from playing a game of attrition over a few months to get into the same player pools.. just not a good idea outside a of a purely casual system with no competitive focus at all.
You'd still have people who wouldn't want to play against those with lower points if the point system doesn't reward you the same amount of points, regardless. The thing about GSP is that it's an indicator of where you are compared to others who use that character. Or that's my understanding. If you're at 1M, you're above the other 999k.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
You'd still have people who wouldn't want to play against those with lower points if the point system doesn't reward you the same amount of points, regardless. The thing about GSP is that it's an indicator of where you are compared to others who use that character. Or that's my understanding. If you're at 1M, you're above the other 999k.
In theory, yes. In practice, it doesn't seem quite so simple when GSP isn't hard to cheese, especially at lower ranks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In theory, yes. In practice, it doesn't seem quite so simple when GSP isn't hard to cheese, especially at lower ranks.
That's part of the issue with GSP. I say throw it out altogether. Everyone cares so much about it more than sticking around. I understand if you two- or three-stock your opponent, but if it's close, or if you just stick around so that if you end up winning, you leave after, it's pointless.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
No nerfs, big buffs for the slightly more depressing half of the cast.

Make arenas better, let you change host when exiting the arena, let you choose character and stage while preserving your place in line.

Make it so you can invite friends to arenas via the game, same thing with quickplay teams matches. I should be able to play co-op teams with a friend online, not just locally.

I also want Joker to be a busted ass character.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I'd rather not have any busted ass characters, it's just generally toxic to the meta overall. I'm fine with really good top tiers coming in through DLC, but I'd like to avoid another Bayo or MK.

Otherwise yeah, there's nobody in the game so good they warrant nerfs imo, but several who need buffs.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
That's part of the issue with GSP. I say throw it out altogether. Everyone cares so much about it more than sticking around. I understand if you two- or three-stock your opponent, but if it's close, or if you just stick around so that if you end up winning, you leave after, it's pointless.
You seem to care a disproportionate amount about playing the same person more than once. Play arenas.

I leave after one match because I like fighting different opponents constantly, and I like seeing where I and the opponent stack up in terms of GSP. I am perfectly happy and fulfilled with the system as it is right now.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'd rather not have any busted *** characters, it's just generally toxic to the meta overall. I'm fine with really good top tiers coming in through DLC, but I'd like to avoid another Bayo or MK.

Otherwise yeah, there's nobody in the game so good they warrant nerfs imo, but several who need buffs.
By busted, I mean top tier, along the lines of what we have now. No SSS tier characters or any garbage like that.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
By busted, I mean top tier, along the lines of what we have now. No SSS tier characters or any garbage like that.
After PP being a dumpster fire of a character in terms of tier placement and viability, I'm really hoping for DLC characters who don't place lower than Top/High tier as well. It's gonna be really underwhelming to see hype new additions to the roster only to pick them up and have it feel like Sm4sh Roy all over again.. so I hope none of that goes down.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I want to actually be able to waveland, and I want wavelands to be able to do platform falloff so I have actual hype movement options, because dash dancing alone isn't hype enough.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Switching through the alt costumes/colors should not take forever to load. What is this? 1998 dial up? And on that topic, a lot of things lag pretty bad in this game and or take forever to load in certain menus. For instance I was doing the all-star mode and it started to hiccup halfway through because of all the fighters that were on the field or spawning. I am fine with that for online, especially because half of online is pretty bad as it is, but offline on a single player mode? That's unacceptable.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I want to actually be able to waveland, and I want wavelands to be able to do platform falloff so I have actual hype movement options, because dash dancing alone isn't hype enough.
I utilize wavelands almost all the time, even WD's, but I'm a Cloud main who chooses to ***** his limit and sit on it for 14 of the 15 seconds to really push that mobility boost so maybe that's why I'm able to. It's not some huge part of my movement game, but it's functional and it works.

To my knowledge, wavelanding is still viable across most of the roster.. just not Melee viable. Like I get Melee movement is fun, but just because GRSmash posted a movement video doesn't mean we need to start wishing for Ultimate to turn into a Melee clone. Hype platform movement aside, I quite enjoy the movement in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I utilize wavelands almost all the time, even WD's, but I'm a Cloud main who chooses to ***** his limit and sit on it for 14 of the 15 seconds to really push that mobility boost so maybe that's why I'm able to. It's not some huge part of my movement game, but it's functional and it works.

To my knowledge, wavelanding is still viable across most of the roster.. just not Melee viable. Like I get Melee movement is fun, but just because GRSmash posted a movement video doesn't mean we need to start wishing for Ultimate to turn into a Melee clone.
Wavelanding is really only univerally useful in situations of getting down while evading at the same time, and not being stuck in airdodge end lag, or if tech chasing on a platform with grabs. Outside of that, there is universally across the cast little reason to do so. On ground, it's much more viable to just dash back, as the distance and control are generally better, as well as the number of frames you're stuck doing X being significantly less, and as far as platforms go, movement wise, being able to fall off of platforms with it would increase the combo game of the cast and the options out of platform are obviously deep because the game is heavily air focused. But yeah as far as your statement about wavelands in ultimate being viable, they generally aren't. Just in the tech chase examples or get off me option I was mentioning before, that being about it. Some characters don't even have good waveland or good enough frame data on a decent tilt to tilt out of platform wavelands.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You seem to care a disproportionate amount about playing the same person more than once. Play arenas.
Yes, because I don't want to play someone once. I want to play against someone more than once to prove that my first win wasn't some fluke. Good were the days of SSB4 where people would do Bo3 in For Glory. Also, if you fight someone tough and it was a close match, and you just leave after a single win, that's cowardly.

I leave after one match because I like fighting different opponents constantly, and I like seeing where I and the opponent stack up in terms of GSP. I am perfectly happy and fulfilled with the system as it is right now.
That doesn't make any sense. You tell me that I seem to care about the amount of playing the same person more than once and tell me to play in the arenas. Then you say that you like fighting different opponents constantly. Well, as you probably already know, you can do just that in Public Arenas, win or lose. Unless no one else is around except you and the host of the room.

Last edited:

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
A lot of the stuff I want has been mentioned above

Hazard toggle within ruleset
Better training mode
SQUAD STRIKE ONLINE (YES PLEASE)
Better arenas
Getting rid of moving platforms as hazards (seriously wtf)
STAGE BUILDER PLZ
But honestly I kinda want more palette swaps. Like in this game they limited the number of swaps to 8, (bad move)
But what if we could like create custom palette swaps for our characters (kinda like how we Create mii characters I guess).
Oh , and having the game remember your character selection and palette swap (seriously why was this removed from sm4sh)

Last edited:

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Also I’m for removing GSP has a whole and having elite smash be based on win/lose rate or some other mechanic

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Other then Joker possibly being on the 3.0 update, I don't have many high hopes elsewhere. I would love to see some fixes to online play, doesn't matter if they're small fixes if they fix previous problems, but I feel like that is still wishful thinking.

Like being able to see someone's ping level when they hop into the arena or quickplay. And it'd be color coded green, yellow, red. Green meaning good to go and red meaning get out of there before you waste your time.

To not be punished with a timed penalty when we get dced from the start-up endless load. I know a few of you were confused when I mentioned this before, but count yourself lucky if you never got hit with that bug. It kicks everyone.

Also having the game try to find something in quickplay forever and then decide to just kick you to the main menu. Why does it need to bring it up twice that 'something something system or more not responding?' It's total BS cause it's a server related issue and they try to pin it on us.

These seem like easy fixes. The color coded ping at the very least does.

Top Bottom