• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Zelda Game and why?

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Ocarina for now, but I really need to play more Zelda to be sure. I think it comes together really well, music, exploration, dungeon design (I even like the Water Temple), bosses ect.

I`ve only played Ocarina, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild so my favorite could easily change.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Ocarina of Time is my favorite Legend of Zelda game to this day. It’s the one I grew up with and the one I played the most. I know over the recent years there has been talk about how well it actually aged, I know it may not be perfect but I consider playing the game to still be worth it today. I liked the feeling of exploring, collecting different items, playing the ocarina to do special things like making it rain or changing the day and night cycle. I enjoyed learning about the different tribes and cultures in the game, and figuring out how to progress through each dungeon was fulfilling. Not only was Link becoming an adult while gaining more cool items exciting, but also fighting each boss in the game especially the final boss. Ocarina of Time was a product of its time and the game laid the foundation for future 3D Zelda games to follow after it. We each grew up with a game that had made quite an impression on us when we were younger and the Ocarina of Time experience is something I will never forget.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
First of all, I think it's necessary to make a distinction between the 2D and the 3D Zelda. They are too different.

Concerning the 3D Zelda, I would say Ocarina and Breath of the Wild. This two games changed everything. Playing them was/is unlike anything else. Majora was great as a sequel and comes third for me, although I think it would be better to consider it alongside Ocarina, as this two games are clearly meant to be a duo: Majora without Ocarina doesn't make a lot of sense. Never played Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are good games, but they weren't good enough in my opinion. They didn't shake much: they gave me the feeling to do the exact same thing as before, only with some cosmetic difference.

For the 2D Zelda, I guess A Link to the Past, but Link's Awakening is great too and has a beautiful atmosphere. The Oracle games are nice, but didn't click with me: too similar to Link's Awakening to my taste. Really dislike the DS ones. A Link Between Worlds is good, but it's hard to see it as a real full game since it looks almost like a remake.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
First of all, I think it's necessary to make a distinction between the 2D and the 3D Zelda. They are too different.

Concerning the 3D Zelda, I would say Ocarina and Breath of the Wild. This two games changed everything. Playing them was/is unlike anything else. Majora was great as a sequel and comes third for me, although I think it would be better to consider it alongside Ocarina, as this two games are clearly meant to be a duo: Majora without Ocarina doesn't make a lot of sense. Never played Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are good games, but they weren't good enough in my opinion. They didn't shake much: they gave me the feeling to do the exact same thing as before, only with some cosmetic difference.

For the 2D Zelda, I guess A Link to the Past, but Link's Awakening is great too and has a beautiful atmosphere. The Oracle games are nice, but didn't click with me: too similar to Link's Awakening to my taste. Really dislike the DS ones. A Link Between Worlds is good, but it's hard to see it as a real full game since it looks almost like a remake.
Why didnt the Oracle Games click with you was it the pretty hard difficulty?

TheExSaltedOne

Smash Rookie
Ocarina of Time. The only other Zelda games I’ve played were BoTW, Four Swords Adventures, Triforce Heroes, Majora’s Mask, Spirit Tracks, and a tiny bit of the classic I & II games before I got bored with them. Planning on playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess sometime this year.

Reasons why I like Ocarina the most:

•Sense of adventure/quests
•Puzzles
•Memorable temples/ characters/bosses/music

Plus this is one I can keep coming back to no problem unlike the rest. BoTW is my second favorite and I beat it once, maybe again going through the DLC this time idk

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ocarina of Time. The only other Zelda games I’ve played were BoTW, Four Swords Adventures, Triforce Heroes, Majora’s Mask, Spirit Tracks, and a tiny bit of the classic I & II games before I got bored with them. Planning on playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess sometime this year.

Reasons why I like Ocarina the most:

•Sense of adventure/quests
•Puzzles
•Memorable temples/ characters/bosses/music

Plus this is one I can keep coming back to no problem unlike the rest. BoTW is my second favorite and I beat it once, maybe again going through the DLC this time idk
Pretty weird reasons all these points are subjective i for example like Oracle of Ages the most and it has all these Points most zeldas fullfil all of them of course it can still be your favourite but i think the reason why you dont like the others is because all of them (outside Zelda1) have a Gimmick

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Majora's Mask. The fact that they not only reused all of OoT's assets and somehow still made it feel like a completely different game, but implemented the innovative time system that made the world feel more alive and independent of the player than even modern RPGs, and crafted a very well-done metaphoric story, makes MM a real work of art. No other 3D Zelda has implemented so many different innovations and managed to execute them flawlessly on their first try.

Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild are runner-ups, but MM set a very high bar. My only real issue with MM is that I'm subjectively more biased against nihilistic and forlorn games like MM. I think it is technically superior, but I like the more bright and cheery aesthetics of Skyward Sword and BOTW.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
The original Legend of Zelda on the NES. I was born in 91 and spent my little years watching my dad play the NES until I developed the motor skills to play with/against him. Watching him play Zelda completely captured my imagination. It was better than any tv show or movie (except Star Wars) and I was so impressed at how fearless my dad was when playing the game. Granted I was 3 and maybe Manhandla and the Gleeok aren't actually as terrifying as they seemed to me at the time - but still! I watched my dad casually storm into Ganon's chamber and put him down! That was the coolest thing in the world to me! I hope to one day blow my toddler's mind with a Ganon battle in a future Zelda title.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have three and they are all odd picks.

For the 3D Zeldas, it is a tie between Twilight Princess and Windwaker. TP seems like an improved OOT to me. OOT is good though and I suggest that people play both.

For 2D Zeldas, this is a real oddball one, I loved Zelda 2 Adventures of Link as a kid. Both of the NES Zeldas are amazing but that one just sunk more of my time.

Top Bottom