• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Videogame Characters

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
ITT discuss, obsess, fantasize, etc. over your favorite videogame characters.

I'm REALLY passionate about the protagonists from Pokemon. Like the Avatars from Fire Emblem, I see the Pokemon protags as more than just blank slates meant for the player to self-insert themselves onto—I see them as their own characters.

Sure, they might not have a lot of personality due to the fact that they're virtually mute in the games, but I see their games as THEIR journey, and not my own. They all have a predetermined starting town/city, mother, appearance/design, name, etc. Would GameFreak really go through creating unique, individual lives and adventures for each game's protagonists if they weren't their own character to an extent? Besides, once you're done with the game, or once you're playing another game, they're out of your control and doing who-knows-what. We can't control Red going to Mt. Silver in the Johto games, or him going to the Pokemon World Tournament in Unova, or going to the Battle Tree in Alola. Likewise, we can't control Hilbert/Hilda after Pokemon Black and White since they went to go look for N on their own accord.

Because I feel this way, I stopped naming the protagonists after me, and in recent gens, I don't even bother customizing their appearance. I even go so far as to use as much of a canonical team as I possibly can, to further indicate that this is their journey and not my own. By doing so, I appreciate the games' story much more than I would have if I hadn't felt this way.

Although I am very passionate about the Pokemon protags, I do have my favorites, them namely being, in no particular order
gs gold mugshot.png
Ethan
BW Hilda mugshot.png
Hilda
B2W2 Nate mugshot.png
Nate
USUM Elio mugshot.png
Elio
Runner-ups are
gen 1 red mugshot.png
Red
E Brendan mugshot.png
Brendan
PT Dawn mugshot.png Dawn
XY Serena mugshot.png
Serena
And the rest of the protags (Kris, Leaf, May, Lucas, Lyra, Hilbert, Calem, Selene, Chase, Elaine) I'm not quite as attached to because I don't consider them as the canon protag of their games in the prime timeline of the Pokemon games, but I still like and appreciate them.

I'm also rather passionate about Robin from the Fire Emblem series and have been since 2013. I guess if I hadn't felt weird about seeing my name on my 3DS screen I wouldn't have felt or thought this way about any of the characters here.

Two other characters I happen to like are PaRappa Rappa and Lammy Lamb from the PaRappa the Rapper series.
I don't have as much of a profound reasoning to liking them as my other ones, I just happen to really like their design, voices, personality, and songs.

Anyway, that's all I have to share. What about you guys?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
glutton_for_punishment_by_bthomas64_d4r9864-fullview.jpg

Kirby and King Dedede, 2 of my favorite Kirby characters next to Yoshi from Super Mario
(These 3 are my mains in Smash Ultimate)

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
For me, my favorite video game characters consist of:

Yoshi
Kirby
Pac-Man
Samus
Sonic
Wario (Favorite Villain)
Taki from Soulcalibur
Your partner Pokémon in Mystery Dungeon

Most of the games I play are Nintendo games so most of my favorite characters are from Nintendo.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad's probably my absolute favourite to date.
Takes all the fun bits of Luigi(scaredy cat, underdog) and Wario(greedy, a little lazy) but throws in just a splash of Mario(wanting to explore and adventure) to make the perfect little protagonist.
Also he's freaking adorable. Look at the way he shivers when scared and confronted with a Boo, his happy dance when he successfully gets a star, the cries of excitement he gets when he see's a new adventure awaits, and the way he applauds Hint Toad's hard work and help. Absolute cutie.

Outside Captain Toad I'm a big fan of the core Mario crew; Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser, Peach and...err...Toad and Toadette(whom I'm counting as core now she's officially player 4 in the New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Maker 2 games as well as showing up in Mario Odyssey). Got a lot of time for the main cast of the Mario world. Wario and Waluigi are fun too and I don't even dislike Daisy either...

Super Mario aside there's also these guys;
Tails
Sonic(yes after Tails)
Bill Overbeck from Left 4 Dead and Dead by Daylight
Medic, Heavy, Spy, Pyro-actually all the mercenaries from Team Fortress 2
Chris Redfield in all his boulder punching glory
Pac-Man
Hyrule Warriors version of Impa
Chrom
Robin
Meowth
Abra/Alakazam(but weirdly not Kadabra)
Machop/Machamp(again but weirdly not Machoke)
Dhalsim
Roland from Borderlands
Maya from Borderlands 2(please don't die in Borderlands 3 Maya ;;)
Spyro
Mugman...yeah, just like Tails over the main character of Cuphead
Gooey
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Lanky Kong
Bumper, a rather obscure racer from Diddy Kong Racing
Timber, see Bumper above

Last edited:

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Hard to say my absolute favorite, so I'll list some of my favs:

Link. He's just doing his thing time and time again and the LoZ lore makes me love him more.
Samus. Kick-ass space bounty hunter with a cool ass suit. Other M Samus though is a different story.....
Shovel Knight. Man uses a shovel as a weapon, c'mon now.
GLaDOS. Creepy and adorable.
Handsome Jack. Great villain. You love to hate him.

Last edited:

Grie

Smash Apprentice
My top 5

5-Dry Bones: put him in a Mario spin-off and I will play him. Started with Mario kart ds (one of of not my favorite game) and will continue no mater what.

4-Lukas: I don’t usually relate to characters in any type of fiction, but he’s different. From what I’ve played of fe echoes, he’s my favourite character by far.

3-Bowser: childhood villain, need I say more? Hilarious, a big bully, he has the the same role as dry bones, but he as a character. And I don’t use him as much as dry bones.

2-Ridley: I am completely intrigued by this character. He as so much going for him. Presence, personality, abilities, he is on of if not the strangest villain in nintendo’s pantheon of anthagonists. And I love him for that, smash didn’t help either.

1-Lucina: there is so much that I could say about her but I’ll keep it short. Love her character, her personality, she is what I want in a character and more. The best way I could describe her is, humane.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Despite Bowser being my smash main, my favourite video game character is Kirby.

My top 5 goes like this (warning, some ties)

1. Kirby
2. Mario
3. Tie between Bowser, Lucario and Meta Knight
4. Pikachu, Luigi and Falco
5. Donkey Kong

Honorable Mentions include (not in any order): Yoshi, Samus, Lugia, King Dedede and Ice Climbers (the very last one mainly in smash)

D

Deleted member

-Samus Aran
-Coco Bandicoot
-Neo Cortex
-N.Trance
-Penta Penguin
-Eight/Guv
-Yangus
-Jessica
-Mach Rider
-Chase McCain
-Pauline
-Waluigi
-Hunter from Spyro
-Captain Syrup
-Mona
-Adeleine
-Jill Valentine
-Mega Man
-Eggman
-Vector the Crocodile
-Aerith
-Johnny Cage
-Darkrai
-Zoroark
-Viewtiful Joe
-Phoenix Wright
-Layton and Luke

MintDice

Smash Rookie
Favorite of all time?

Probably E-Honda from street fighter 2 and Scorpion from MK2 just because of how much nostalgia and value I put into them when I was younger.

More modernly, it depends, probably axe from dota 2, although that's kind of a weird character but I vibe with the guy. I do wonder how this stuff will be created going forward if assets work like that.

I do think that there was kind of a highlight for gaming characters between 1995-2005. More modernly they seem to get too politically charged/correct.

prowler92

Smash Rookie
All-time favorite:
1.) Pokemon (All 809)
2.) Main Monsters and Elder Dragons (Monster Hunter)
3.) Mai Shiranui
4.) Anji Mito
5.) Yukiko Amagi
6.) Bayonetta
7.) Morrigan Aensland
8.) Kitana
9.) Cammy White
10.) Emilie De Rochefort

4 in this list uses fans as their weapon. :D

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bubsy. yes, I'm serious. I just love his design and personality - a classic 90s wiseass furry who can never live up to the promises his wisecracks embody!

Jill from Drill Dozer - the thing I love about Jill is just how subversive she is from the average female protagonist. I'm a "good boy" who hates sexualised female characters, so a pre-teen girl piloting a drill tank that covers her entire body is my ideal female protag! plus, she leads a gang of thieves despite the fact she hasn't even entered puberty yet - what a badass, or as she'd probably say - badbutt!

Ripper Roo from Crash Bandicoot - he's insane, but not in the way that he's a little goofy and called insane jokingly, no - he's literally insane. despite the fact he wants to blow up your face he does look like you could pet him. also, I know I shouldn't be looking this deep into a comedic character like this, but despite being a villain he's probably one of the most positive portrayals of mental illness in gaming considering he actually had successful rehabilitation and went on to a very successful career

Vivian from Paper Mario - I'm not even that big a TTYD fan, but Vivian is such a damn cutie - yet again, I love the non-sexualised female characters for one thing, but she's also chubby and purple, two of my other favourite things! her being trans doesn't really effect how I view her but it's cool they got away with it back in '04 - speaking of chubby and purple

Wario is a biker jerk who makes shovelware for money alone, but you can't help but love him. he seems like he'd be pretty fun to hang out with, even if he's not the nicest guy. (through he's surprisingly kind to animals, such as his pet hen which has boobs for some reason) plus, WAA is an iconic catchphrase - which was perfected by the next character...

WAH! Waluigi is the quintessential chaotic neutral - neither good nor bad, hero nor villain. something about that is so charming, he's not even an anti hero, he's more an... anti-neutral if such a thing exists.

there's a few more characters I could put here so I may make another post in this thread.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
ryo-art.png

Ryo Hazuki, I dunno there's something within him that really resonates with me. Sure, his design is basic but it's still very much appealing to me. Plus, his journey for personal growth makes you want to root for him.

Did I mention he's also hot?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
in no particular order-ish...
:ultsamus: :ultridley::ultdarksamus:-Big Metroid fan, so no surprise, Samus is easily my favourite character in all of gaming though
:ultlink: :ultzelda::ultganondorf:-Big Zelda fan, also no surprise, Link is a strong second place to Samus I have to say
:ultcloud: & Tifa -It really makes me sad I don't own a PS4 rn :(
Midna -please bring her back :(
Elma -XCX on Switch please! PLZZ!!
Cynthia -My favourite Pokemon character, that is not actually a pokemon (as far as we know)
Tali'zorah vas Normandy -If EA weren't what they were I'd be more anxious for a possible port of the original Mass Effect Trilogy, but yeah...I like Tali tho

<insert a bunch of my favourite pokemon here, actually I'll just go ahead and do that
:215: (yes I still like Weavile, but #215 is still my #1)
Salamence
Sableye
Garchomp
Rayquaza
:212:
Haxorus
Noivern
:214:
Salazzle
:157:
Tyrantrum
Sceptile
Alolan Ninetales
I could be here forever listing my favourites so I'll just stop here, also yes I like dragons>

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Darkrai-
I love their design. I also find them relatable to me somewhat and I love their nightmare powers.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
As you can see in my Avatar, Terry Bogard is one of my favorite video game characters. I have a TON of faves, including Bandana Dee, Kirby, Akari Hayami from 1080 Snowboarding, Space Harrier, Blaster Keaton from Aero Fighters, Dr. Yuichiro Tomari from Ordyne, The F-Zero cast and others. However it was the cast from Pilotwings 64 that finally gave me the courage to overcome my fear of video games and were the first that became my favorites. I also love Waddle Dees because they're so cute and and handy as jack of all trades.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
My favorite franchises are Fire Emblem, The Legend of Heroes, Guild Wars, Tales, and Ys.

So here's a few of my favorites:

Olivert (The Legend of Heroes)

Bastian (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)

Hapi (Fire Emblem 3 Houses)

Naesala (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)

Zihark (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)

Nasir (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)

Hummel Trabaldo (Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana)

Duren (Ys Memories of Celceta)

Yusuke (Persona 5)

Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)

Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss)

Top Bottom