• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite samus players?

Xpect

Smash Cadet
I dont see much talent on Youtube anymore but when it mattered I always closely studied Xyro & YB

Now I've been watching Afro & Depth recently. I'm always looking to sharpen my edge & I finally bought a wii so
I plan on re-entering the competitive scene. Wondering who do you guys study now a days? Even local talent, no matter the quality, long as they're videos.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I like Depth. I liked Jonny Westside for a while, but I haven't been paying attention to see if he's brought anything new. I don't know where Xyro is these days. I played with him back in SSBB and learned a little more about his style that I learned to implement into my own gaming. Although Ryo doesn't main Samus, he's fun to watch when he uses Samus.

Xpect

Smash Cadet
I like Depth. I liked Jonny Westside for a while, but I haven't been paying attention to see if he's brought anything new. I don't know where Xyro is these days. I played with him back in SSBB and learned a little more about his style that I learned to implement into my own gaming. Although Ryo doesn't main Samus, he's fun to watch when he uses Samus.
Haven't seen his Samus, Im going to have to check it out & yea Xyro was huge help just through videos alone. No Sammy is the same, but its puzzling to see which ones make it to the top. Joker down in the south is pretty good from what I've seen as well. I think its important to see various Samus players and create a rhythm from there. Just wish there were more to watch

P.S. @XYRO you ought to start uplaoding again </3 ;(

WoolMoth

Smash Rookie
Personally I like YB that one Japanese samus. He won that one online tournament that had people like kamemushi in it so he's done something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8btS-oZQk

He just matches my playstyle more which is using the process of charging CS or fainting shots as baits to get punishes.

Xpect

Smash Cadet
Personally I like YB that one Japanese samus. He won that one online tournament that had people like kamemushi in it so he's done something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8btS-oZQk

He just matches my playstyle more which is using the process of charging CS or fainting shots as baits to get punishes.
Forsure on the mindgames, I feel its very essential for samus. She can look so stiff and intimidating standing still and when you backwards jump you can mix up missles, zairs, or simply empty air jumps.I believe she has what it takes to be top tier, and from watching izaws video today about creating "objs" for each character. It seems Samus has a lot of ins, its just of knowing how and when to use them.In my opinion, It's about knowing all your options and evolving with the feel of the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyIiHTTCD8

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Haven't seen his Samus, Im going to have to check it out & yea Xyro was huge help just through videos alone. No Sammy is the same, but its puzzling to see which ones make it to the top. Joker down in the south is pretty good from what I've seen as well. I think its important to see various Samus players and create a rhythm from there. Just wish there were more to watch

P.S. @XYRO you ought to start uplaoding again </3 ;(
Even though i am the highest placing low tier in my region, I rarely play anymore and I see most Samus "mains" go 2ndaries more and more often. Motivation is super low.

I host weeklies (mondays) and monthlies in Tx, I can start having some matches saved if you want. Trela/MegaFox abd others are in my region so dont expect wins.

Recently (EVO), JohnnyWestside got double eliminated by a ZS player named Ry who is from my city. I spoke with Ry afterwards and he said Jwest was much easier than me because hes so aggressive and my Samus is defensive and hangs near the ledge to reduce ZS options. This isnt me bragging cause i know Jwest is our best but it also may mean that maybe my defensive style could help some of you. Ill see what i can do with vids, ok?

Xpect

Smash Cadet
Even though i am the highest placing low tier in my region, I rarely play anymore and I see most Samus "mains" go 2ndaries more and more often. Motivation is super low.

I host weeklies (mondays) and monthlies in Tx, I can start having some matches saved if you want. Trela/MegaFox abd others are in my region so dont expect wins.

Recently (EVO), JohnnyWestside got double eliminated by a ZS player named Ry who is from my city. I spoke with Ry afterwards and he said Jwest was much easier than me because hes so aggressive and my Samus is defensive and hangs near the ledge to reduce ZS options. This isnt me bragging cause i know Jwest is our best but it also may mean that maybe my defensive style could help some of you. Ill see what i can do with vids, ok?
Very true, I remember back in brawl you mentioned ledge game is key to samus and I still agree 100%. I find the hardest match ups are against ZSS, Fox, Sheik, and the one thing they have in common is they're really fast. Id more than appreciate if you uploaded more, you're the one who got me to stick to her. Hence the beginning "X" in my name :4samus::132:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Jwest is fun to watch, but sometimes he makes me anxious with his aggression. Same goes for Depth. Afrosmash is probably my favorite to watch currently, I like his balance of defense and offense, but also brings the hype

Xpect

Smash Cadet
Jwest is fun to watch, but sometimes he makes me anxious with his aggression. Same goes for Depth. Afrosmash is probably my favorite to watch currently, I like his balance of defense and offense, but also brings the hype
I feel he uses a lot more aggresive play to compensate for his lack of missles. He does well, but I think it would improve his projectile game rather than just Zair to atleast switch it up.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero

The Green Lesbian speaks! Good to see you, Xyro! (This is Dryn.) I do agree with you that Jonny Westside does play aggressively. He's even used the tag "Aggro" before. One thing I learned mostly from him was his ability to properly punish those who air-dodge. Since I've watched his videos and realized that, I've integrated that to the best of my ability. I like Depth, due to his spacing, his proper use of perfect pivoting, and his precision.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
@Pyreeze has been doing work in the PNW and just got 3rd in a pretty stacked weekly (unfortunately dropped a set to Konga, a really good DK main that he has previously taken a set from, and Shinkou, who he beat earlier in the bracket). He's had some really good matches. Looks very different from other Samus players. Very unpredictable neutral. Mixes up nair and dair well with zair from SH. Maybe he can provide links to some matches.

VODs for Orbitar 12

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ieIw6nXWjKxqzSNftTthWGmTmSgw-LP

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I like Afro and YB. I feel like YB uses CS the best by far. The way he charges it is Abadangoesque, and he lands it more than Abadango lands SB because CS is just generally easier to land. Afro is definitely the best at using moves like uair, nair, and ftilt. His sh uairs are amazing and he gets early kills off reads with nair all the time (I always forget this move kills at Mewtwo fair percents). I also think he might be the best at landing.

Xpect

Smash Cadet
Afro Smash is bae
From what I see on discord, a lot of people main samus and the scene as moved onto there. I've learned more technical tricks with samus on there than any guide on the forums besides the knowledge compendium.

Top Bottom