• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Past Stages Post Ultimate DLC discussion.

Which Past Stages would you like to see return in Ultimate?

• Sector Z 64

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Planet Zebes 64

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Icicle Mountain (melee)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Poke Floats (melee) -hd remake obviously-

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Mushroom Kingdom (melee)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Rumble Falls (Brawl)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Pictochat (Wii U, Brawl)

• Pac Maze (3DS)

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Jungle Hyjinx (Wii U)

• Pyrosphere (Metroid Wii U)

• Orbital Gate Assault (Starfox Wii U)

• Yoshi's Wooly World (Wii U)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 3DS)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Smash Run (8 player Smash online and multi-console mode only)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Miiverse (Farewell To Miiverse Collage in the Background)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom Stages

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Everyone this is to discuss which stages we miss from the past games, you can also bring up what stages you think might be included as DLC provided we get 1st party characters.

If you forgot that Pyrosphere was the Ridley Stage Boss, I order you to revote! Same goes for if you mixed up Jungle Hyjinx and Rumble Falls.
(Unless that's what you intended to vote for)

I have one rule, Limit 3rd party DLC speculation regarding new stages.
New versions of old Stages are fine to discuss. Such as wanting more platforms in a new version of the Pac Man Stage.

Each user may vote for 2 stages, I may change it to three votes if I ever feel the need to.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
My votes are going to:

PAC-MAZE just barely beats out Rainbow Road because I need to see that stage's Battlefield/FD Omega Forms done justice by proper hardward. Plus, I'm a sucker for Abstract environment stages (Final Destination is usually a favorite stage of mine in every Smash purely for this reason alone, Wii Fit Studio was one of my favorite stages in Smash 4, Geometric Plain is my favorite stage in Tekken 7, Astral Chaos in SoulCalibur 5... you get the picture).

Pyrosphere because it's the closest I'll ever get to the falling platform you fight the Egg Dragoon on in Sonic Unleashed.

Orbital Gate Assault because it's one of my favorite Smash 4 stages and it makes all the other Star Fox stages a ****ing joke by comparison.

Honestly, though, I wish they all came back. Yeah, plenty of them are redundant in aesthetics and layout, but still.

To answer your thread title's question, though...
Smash 64- Dreamland because I'm boring trash.
Melee- Fountain of Dreams. A very pretty stage with ****ing BEAUTIFUL music. Fourside, Jungle Japes, and Big Blue are also alright.
Brawl- Spear Pillar would be my favorite not it not been for the legendary gimmick being taken too far (the Dragon Ball Z Lazers, Palkia pulling an Ochaco before it was cool and Dialga casting "ZA WARUDO" are fine. it's Cresselia's bull**** boomeraang, Dialga stepping on the stage without warning and Palkia flipping the goddamn stage upside down that ends up ruin everything). Also, the Dialga/Palkia Battle and Spear Pillar themes should've been kept seperate but that's small potatoes compared to . As a result, I'm gonna have to make this a tie between Shadow Moses blowing my 13-year-old self's mind with giant robots in the background and what I consider the best Final Destination in the series. Frigate Orpheon, Halberd and Castle Siege are also alright, but they're a tad too chaotic to be my absolute favorite. Smashville used to be my favorite, until Smash 4's competitive scene ruined it.
Smash 4- Toss up between Orbital Gate Assault, Wii Fit Studio, Gamer. Gerudo Valley, Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, Tortimer's Island, Wuhu Island and Umbra Clock Tower are alright as well. Pyrosphere and Great Cave Offensive are good too, but only with caveats (Pyrosphere is only fun for me when the Boss doesn't show up; Great Cave Offensive is only fun for me when I'm in 8-Player Smash mode), so they don't really count in my eyes.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If I’m allowed only two stages, I’m going to go with the two biggest missed stages in my opinion.

PAC-Maze is the quintessential Pac-Man stage, and regardless of mechanics it deserved the chance to come back. There are lots of reasonable work arounds for that stage including just making the ghosts appear with a player logo above their heads, having the stage have an indicator somewhere for who is in control, having the ghosts just always be hostile, or just removing them altogether. The mechanic didn’t really make the stage, but he design did and it’s so incredibly frustrating all we have is PAC-Land in the base. I’d hazard to say this is Sakurai’s biggest misstep with the game honestly given how classic the PAC-Maze is too.

Poke Floats is more deserving of a new version, but it was a unique stage that had an interesting concept and felt good in Melee. Not everyone loves it, but a lot do. It falls into the really fun style of casual stage category. I’d love to see what they could do with all kinds of new Pokémon. That fake HD version from a couple months back (With Skull Kid and Bandanna Dee I believe) was exactly the kind of thing I would be looking for.

I’ve stated this before, but I really think that they should have just went ahead and included the rest of the stages. Things like 8 Player and Stage Morph don’t need to be universal for all stages. If a stage didn’t work, then let it just be usable in four player standard matches. “Everywhere is Here” is a far cooler statement to me than “Everywhere is 8 Player” and would have been an amazing second moment of fan service for the August Direct.

I’m also really of the opinion that they should have gone all in on the N64 stages at least. Sector Z and Planet Zebes are different enough to deserve a spot in the stage lineup, and having everything Smash 64 in the game like that just makes sense and adds to the nostalgia. I don’t really see them replaced by Corneria and Brinstar.

And then Mute City Gamecube being gone is the most confusing stage to be missing. I guess the ideology is that Port Town Aero Dive is the replacement or that F-Zero doesn’t need four stages... but seriously? The first one seems pretty absurd to me and the second really doesn’t seem to matter with just how many stages we have all around. I preferred the layout of Mute City Gamecube to Port Town anyway...

So my top five would probably be:
1. PAC-Maze
2. Poke Floats
3. Mute City Gamecube
4. Sector Z
5. Planet Zebes

Those five all genuinely feel missing from the game in my mind as either fan favorites or just weird choices to exclude even if there were perceived issues or redudancy.

Sorry for the long post hehe

Edit: Time to make it longer because I thought it'd be fun to rank the remaining stages missing from the game:

6. Wooly Wolrd
7. Rainbow Road
8. Pictochat (I much prefer the original to 2)
9. Orbital Gate Assualt
10. Jungle Hijnix
11. Mushroom Kingdom Melee
12. Pyrosphere
13. Miiverse with a best of Art Designed for the Background
14. Icicle Mountain
15. Rumble Falls (Devil take this stage, but still, I'd want it in if possible)

Bonus: Bring back Flat Zone 1 and 2 and ditch Flat Zone X.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
My vote goes to Pictochat. It's a stage similar in design but vastly unique in the way it plays. I prefer the original to the newer one They should at least combine it with the newer stage if they don't bring this one back. That would be fine too.

The Smash Run map can also get my vote because I believe it can work if done right.

I think Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 should be added to the polls. It hasn't yet been confirmed to my knowledge or the wiki's knowledge.

As for the rest, well I actually believe they were cut with good reason. A good chunk of them are a tad bit similar to other stages. Bringing the newer ones back can give a close experience. Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), Rainbow Road, Planet Zebes, Sector Z, the Flat Zone stages, and Mute City (Melee) all fall into that category being too similar to Mushroom Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Brinstar, Corneria, Flat Zone X, and Port Town Aero Dive. There are also some that are way too reliant on survival and take the fighting part away from the game. They could be nice in terms of less hazardous forms, but some stages can already give a similar experience to these thematically. Some include Rumble Falls, Yoshi's Wooly World, Orbital Gate Assault, Poke Floats, and Icicle Mountain. As for the rest, well they each conflict the game's mechanics or new additions. Jungle Hijinxs will not work with stage morph, Pyrosphere has a Ridley problem, Pac Maze relies on multiple screens to function properly, and the Miiverse was tragically shut down.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My vote goes to Pictochat. It's a stage similar in design but vastly unique in the way it plays. I prefer the original to the newer one They should at least combine it with the newer stage if they don't bring this one back. That would be fine too.

The Smash Run map can also get my vote because I believe it can work if done right.

I think Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 should be added to the polls. It hasn't yet been confirmed to my knowledge or the wiki's knowledge.

As for the rest, well I actually believe they were cut with good reason. A good chunk of them are a tad bit similar to other stages. Bringing the newer ones back can give a close experience. Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), Rainbow Road, Planet Zebes, Sector Z, the Flat Zone stages, and Mute City (Melee) all fall into that category being too similar to Mushroom Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Brinstar, Corneria, Flat Zone X, and Port Town Aero Dive. There are also some that are way too reliant on survival and take the fighting part away from the game. They could be nice in terms of less hazardous forms, but some stages can already give a similar experience to these thematically. Some include Rumble Falls, Yoshi's Wooly World, Orbital Gate Assault, Poke Floats, and Icicle Mountain. As for the rest, well they each conflict the game's mechanics or new additions. Jungle Hijinxs will not work with stage morph, Pyrosphere has a Ridley problem, Pac Maze relies on multiple screens to function properly, and the Miiverse was tragically shut down.
Is redundancy really all that good of a reason in a game that has 3 Links? Which I don't have a problem with, I'm just saying there are some character redundancies present as well and stages shouldn't really be limited by that in my mind. Especially N64 stages that are already pining for nostalgia points and actually function a lot differently from they're supposed replacements. Rainbow Road is another traveling stage and has a much more interesting background than Circuit, but loses to the fact that it was built using direct assets from Mario Kart 7. Mute City (Melee) falls into the same sort of category and is definitely different enough in my mind as I've said.

I also disagree with why the other stages were cut. I suspect the remaining stages were cut for being incompatible with 8 player and Stage Morph, which they clearly prioritized. Scrolling upward stages weren't popular anyway, but wouldn't play with stage morph (Rumble and Icicle). Wooly World supposedly uses too many physics based movements with the stage to work from what I've heard. Orbital has too much going on to support 8 players as well from what I've heard. Poke Floats also just used assets from the N64 Stadium games and probably wouldn't make for a nice transition to stage morph, so it probably got cut.

And Pac-Maze as you can see above just should have been prioritized because the mechanic was such a minor insignificant part of the stage and could have work arounds...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Zebes (I'm a sucker for 64 stages), Jungle Hijinxs (I like the canons), and Mushroom King (I like the aesthetic).

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Is redundancy really all that good of a reason in a game that has 3 Links? Which I don't have a problem with, I'm just saying there are some character redundancies present as well and stages shouldn't really be limited by that in my mind. Especially N64 stages that are already pining for nostalgia points and actually function a lot differently from they're supposed replacements. Rainbow Road is another traveling stage and has a much more interesting background than Circuit, but loses to the fact that it was built using direct assets from Mario Kart 7. Mute City (Melee) falls into the same sort of category and is definitely different enough in my mind as I've said.

I also disagree with why the other stages were cut. I suspect the remaining stages were cut for being incompatible with 8 player and Stage Morph, which they clearly prioritized. Scrolling upward stages weren't popular anyway, but wouldn't play with stage morph (Rumble and Icicle). Wooly World supposedly uses too many physics based movements with the stage to work from what I've heard. Orbital has too much going on to support 8 players as well from what I've heard. Poke Floats also just used assets from the N64 Stadium games and probably wouldn't make for a nice transition to stage morph, so it probably got cut.

And Pac-Maze as you can see above just should have been prioritized because the mechanic was such a minor insignificant part of the stage and could have work arounds...
I don't know, I'm a person who doesn't like redundancies. It's hard to eliminate most of them with the fighters because of the whole "Everyone is Here" promise, but I can see why other stages were prioritized. If it were up to me, I would also do away stages that have redundancy or ones way too hazardous for real battle, but that's just me, and I know a lot of people are going to disagree with that opinion.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Pyrosphere had potential to be a legal stage this time around. It's unfortunate that they got rid of it, and I don't even know why they did. If it's because of two Ridley's, then that's a bad reason considering we have Toon Link on Spirit Train, and Duck Hunt Dog on Duck Hunt. It's visually appealing, and the music on that stage is really cool. I guess it doesn't music options doesn't matter now, though since you can select the same music for any stage of the series it comes from. I loved Pac-Maze, but I've only played it in Omega form. Same with Rainbow Road. But Pac-Maze was one of my other favorites.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, if we're being honest, I clicked most of them before it said I could only vote for three.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't know, I'm a person who doesn't like redundancies. It's hard to eliminate most of them with the fighters because of the whole "Everyone is Here" promise, but I can see why other stages were prioritized. If it were up to me, I would also do away stages that have redundancy or ones way too hazardous for real battle, but that's just me, and I know a lot of people are going to disagree with that opinion.
I think that the hazardous option for stages are a good thing to have in the game. There are plenty of perfectly serviceable legal stages and more standard stages. Stuff like Rumble Fallss and Icicle Mountain might be generally disliked by fans, but I do think the vertical stages have a place for madness in the game. Survival can be as fun as the main game and should be in a game giving options to players in my opinion.

That’s why I was so happy Mario Bros was back because it just plays so strangely and is a nice random shake up option. The Great Cave Offensive I may not love, but I appreciate the variety.

Stages focused on survival should definitely be there for added variety in my opinion.

As for redundancy, I think those stages offer enough differences generally to justify a place in Ultimate. Somewhere like Rainbow Road is completely different from Mario Circuit other than both being front Mario Kart and shouldn’t be discussed. Places like Zebes, Sector Z, and Mute City Melee play differently with seemingly minor differences that are a bigger deal and some of those differences aren’t so minor.

Plus stages like Pictochat and Flat Zone might be represented, but the variations in them play completely different with the various mini games in them. Which again, comes back to adding additional diversity to the game.

Top Bottom