• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Mario Game! Which Are Yours?

What's your favorite game (s) ?

• Total voters
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Luigi's Mansion 2
M&L: Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team

Honorable mentions: Partners in Time, Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Well, it's easy to have a favorite Mario platformer from every console.. but my favorite Mario game overall is Super Mario 64. Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are the next three in no order.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Excluding the sports spin-offs, here's how I'd rank the ones I've played:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  4. Super Mario 3D World
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  6. Super Mario Bros. 3
  7. Super Mario RPG
  8. Paper Mario
  9. Super Mario World
  10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
  11. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  12. New Super Mario Bros. U
  13. Super Paper Mario
  14. Super Mario 64
  15. Super Mario Bros.
  16. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) / The Lost Levels
  17. Super Mario Sunshine

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My specifically favorite Mario game is Super Mario Bros 3

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy are two of my favorite Mario games ever and always.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Im playing Paper Mario the thousand year door at the moment its my first time playing a Paper Mario series i hope i can pass it.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Lost Levels are very good games IMO but while i think SM64 is overrated... I might play it and get all the stars. :)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My fave Mario games (in no particular order):

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Mario Golf 64
4. Mario Party 1,2 & 3
5. Mario Tennis 64
6. Super Mario Sunshine
7. Super Mario Galaxy

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Super Mario 64 has certainly not aged well. I've only played it from beginning to end (picking up all 120 stars) once, and I seldom feel inclined to try again. It's fun to pop it in every now and then and goof around with that enhanced triple jump you get from Yoshi, but it never keeps me entertained for long. Other platformers like Banjo-Kazooie (or Mario games like Galaxy and 3D World) are much better, in my opinion.

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
I would say Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 3D World. I like Yoshi's Island for the cute charm and memorable boss fights. (The Baby Bowser fight still gives me chills) And Super Mario 3D World for giving the player to choose a couple of characters to play as and are not limited to just Mario.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mainline titles: Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy.

By the way, I am of the opinion that Super Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game, but it has nothing to do with aging badly. It have been always mediocre. Maybe I was expecting too much coming from the godlike Super Mario World? I do recognize the importance of the game for gaming as a whole, though.

RPG titles: Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story, Super Paper Mario.

I really wanted to like The Thousand-Year Door, but the game bored me to tears. I love the partners in that game, though. Oh, Partners in Time and Dream Team were decent games, too, just not as good as SS/BiS.

Spin off titles: Mario Kart 8

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Mainline titles: Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy.

By the way, I am of the opinion that Super Mario 64 is a pretty mediocre game, but it has nothing to do with aging badly. It have been always mediocre. Maybe I was expecting too much coming from the godlike Super Mario World? I do recognize the importance of the game for gaming as a whole, though. 8
I can see why you would think SM64 was mediocre, seeing as how Shigeru Miyamoto wanted a more simplistic, yet fun approach to things. He wasn't as involved in SMW as he was in this game.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I really wanted to like The Thousand-Year Door, but the game bored me to tears.
Color me shocked. I can't imagine why you'd find Thousand-Year Door boring. Not only does it have an intriguing, Doctor Who-ish plot, the settings and characters are really original and brimming full of life. Plus, come on: Mario becomes a pro wrestler (called the Great Gonzales) and does favors for the mafia? A chapter that's an homage to Murder on the Orient Express? A computer falls in love with Peach after seeing her naked in the shower? Tic-tac-toe-themed moon Nazis? The game is a treasure.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
Easy. Pretty much any of the Mario RPGs (except Sticker Star, that one sucked) with Sunshine coming after that. The Mario Parties up to the 8th one are really fun as well.

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
Super mario galaxy by far. Everything is just so perfect from the vast amazingly designed levels to marios amazing mobility, to the amazing music the vast amount of content, the story to the amazing atmosphere and feeling of being in space. its just so good and even minor things like purple coins honestly dont bother me.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 are tied for me, though I probably replay SMB1 more, Mario 1 can be knocked out in an hour or two, but SMB3 is more of a 4 to 5 hour commitment for me. I like short games but I prefer them to be something I'm gonna do in one sitting instead of something I may have to do over the course of two to three days.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Bros 3
  • Super Mario Bros 2
  • Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door
  • Mario Kart
  • Mario Party on N64 and GC

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here are my favourites:
1. Mario Galaxy 1 (remembered finishing the game and playing this when i was little)
2. Super Mario World 2 Advance: Yoshi's Island (Wii U Virtual Console)
3. Mario Kart Wii (Already finished the game long time ago)
4. New Mario Bros Wii
5. Mario Party 8 (Didn't play the 64 and Gamecube ones cause i did not have these consoles)

and here's another list of Gamecube games i would wish to play::( (Didn't have the console long time ago)
1. Mario Party 4-7
2. Double Dash
3. Mario Sunshine
4. Luigi's Mansion
5. Thousand-Year Door
6. Kirby's Air Ride

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I go with Paper Mario 2, Mario 64 and Mario 3.

Spin-offs: The first Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Party 7.

Flop 5: Mario Galaxy 1/2, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 7/8, Luigi's Mansion 2

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
My Favorite Mario Games:

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World (I played the GBA version first and am currently playing the SNES version)
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi’s Island (Epic Final Boss)
Super Mario 64 (The first video game I ever played)
Super Mario Sunshine (it was fascinating to use F.L.U.D.D. and to see Bowser Jr. along with Bowser talking with him)
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door
Super Paper Mario (I loved Count Bleck’s story)
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Maker 2

Favorite Mario Sports Games: Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Super Strikers, and Mario Super Sluggers.

Favorite Mario Party Games: Mario Party, Mario Party 2, Mario Party 5, Mario Party 6, Mario Party 7, Mario Party 8, and Super Mario Party.

Favorite Mario Kart Games: Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart - Double Dash, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom