• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Mario Game! Which Are Yours?

What's your favorite game (s) ?

• Total voters

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
Sitting proudly on the top of my list is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That game made me so happy as a kid.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Obviously it would be this:

:troll:

But really, it's WarioWare D.I.Y (if it counts).
A close second would be Mario 64 DS.

D

Deleted member

Super Mario 64 is the game that made me a Nintendo fan and it was the first game that I have ever played! So, naturally it would be one of my favorite Mario games. I do love the Super Mario Galaxy games as I find them to be phenomenal. Super Mario World is also rather fun!

My favorite of the Mario RPGs are definitely Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Bowser's Inside Story. Super Paper Mario was also pretty good.

I also love 3D Land and 3D World. Those were two amazing Mario games.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 3d world and 3d land, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Kart, Mario Strikers.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart games, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, and Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3

I heard Super Mario Galaxy was a great game, but I never played it

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
My top ten Mario games are currently: Super Paper Mario, Bowser's Inside Story, Superstar Saga, Thousand Year Door, Super Mario 64 (including DS version), Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dream Team, Mario Kart DS, and Paper Mario 64.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh, these favorite lists are always enjoyable to do! Let me contribute a little something. . .

#1 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

This I would say is definitively my favorite Mario game to date. As a fan of J-RPG's (and the old SquareSoft team), collaborating with Nintendo to create a turn-based game influenced from the classic Final Fantasy titles ended up being in my opinion, an ingenious blend. Having strayed away from the typical "Princess is captured by Bowser" story, this game allowed me to experience characters such as Mario, Toadstool (better known now as Peach) and Bowser in combat together for the first time. As if that weren't enough, original characters and enemies such as Mallow, Geno, Booster (etc.) were very much likeable, and became some of my (and many others') personal favorites. Boss characters were all original and diverse, each posing different and entertaining personalities. While the game wasn't particularly long compared to other RPG's, I never considered that to be a flaw as I find myself replaying through the game from time to time (I've at least completed the game around 15 times). The soundtrack is exceptional, providing some instant classics (the most infamous being "Beware the Forest Mushrooms"), and I felt the themes and area's of the game were very fitting. SquareSoft even took it a step further to add a fairly difficult optional boss that goes by the name of "Culex", who spots the Final Fantasy IV boss theme when you battle him! If I had to take away anything from this game, it would be that Luigi lacked an appearance, and that there hasn't yet been a proper sequel to it!

#2 - Super Mario World and Super Mario Galaxy
Respectively, I am putting these both as second on my list, rather than choosing between two and three for the purposes of a side-scrolling platformer as opposed to a 3D platformer.

Super Mario World for me admittedly has nostalgic value, as it is one of the first games that I have ever played, and is the first game that I had ever beaten on my own (at 5 years old, mind you!). I still feel that to this day, there has yet to be a side-scrolling Mario game that matches what this game had accomplished in level design, visual appeal, music, etc. The levels feel so much more involved than the recent New Super Mario Bros. series (which I believe needs to be dropped, but that's a discussion for elsewhere. . .), from the enemy involvement to the layouts of the levels themselves, and although they are both Mario games, Super Mario World to me feels like it is one that has a more "serious" feeling to it. Basically, I still find it to be the pinnacle of the side-scrolling Mario series, and if Nintendo plans to continue the side-scrolling Mario series, I would hope they reboot it with something original that has more effort put into it soon.

Super Mario Galaxy. . . Now this game was something else. My 3D Mario platformer of choice, it was one of the few titles that had the ability to toss away the visual deficiencies of the Wii to really showcase a gorgeous game. The animations are smooth, the colors were vibrant, and the soundtrack was the first orchestral take on the Mario franchise as a whole (I know I'm not the only one who wasn't expecting that final Bowser theme at the end!). I recall some fearing the levels could become stagnant pre-release, but those fears were put to rest. The level design is quite magnificent and plentiful, having different galaxies / planets to travel to for diversity, and with 120 stars in total to be collected, you would be able to unlock the Super Luigi Galaxy mode as something extra. It wouldn't be Mario without power-ups, adding some new instant classics such as the Bee suit (one of my personal favorites). Mario Galaxy 2 expanded upon the first (and one can argue is superior in every way), adding a larger amount of levels and additions such as Yoshi, but having played through Mario Galaxy first, it left more of an impact than the sequel had for me (it sort of felt like an expansion that could have been DLC today). I do hope that the next 3D Mario platformer strays away from the Mario Galaxy series, and at the same time could reinvent itself into something that is just as extraordinary.

Honorable mentions - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and the Mario Kart series

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is an excellent title. Expanding upon the original Paper Mario for N64 (also a game I thoroughly enjoyed), it was a recipe for success. Delving the Mario characters once again into RPG territory, the story is satisfying and fair in length. Many characters, playable and not, are ones that are original and unique (Rawk Hawk was quite memorable, ha ha), and overall, the game just did things the way it should have. Its successor, Super Paper Mario on the Wii, while having an interesting story, abandoned the traditional turn-based style gameplay, something the majority of people have been against, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star on the 3DS just didn't do the series justice (I personally didn't even purchase it). If they plan to continue this series, hopefully they can bring it back to its turn-based roots while expanding upon new features from there (perhaps a bigger overworld, etc.). I know it's Paper Mario, but it wouldnt hurt to see it be taken a little more seriously. . . Seeing it in HD on the Wii U would be pleasant too, assuming that the GamePad could potentially be utilized for some pretty unique options within the game.

For the Mario Kart series, I'll keep it short and sweet. The games are loads of fun, whether by yourself, or even moreso when playing with other people (online or locally). I know that come around the launch of Mario Kart 8, similar to what we'll do for SSB4, a few of my friends and I are going to get together, order up on some pizza and soda and just have a good time playing. That being said, I strongly believe Mario Kart 8 will be the best in the series, if not my personal favorite, at least.

Things to take note of:
I do not yet currently own a Wii U, and so I haven't any experience with Super Mario 3D World (though I've of course heard of how excellent it is, in particular of how fun it can be). I do however plan to pick one up around the launch of Mario Kart 8, though it may have to wait a week or two after due to money constraints. . . Anyways, that's my list! Whether you tend to agree or disagree, I do hope my opinions were enjoyable enough for everyone.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I did not see Mario Sunshine in their. If I noticed it, I would have voted for that.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Favourite Mario game by far is Super Mario Bros. 3. One of the first games I ever played, absolutely loved every bit of it. To this day I'm still surprised of how big the game is for an NES game.

Close second is SM64, fantastic transition to 3D for Mario, an entirely different experience equally as enjoyable as every preceding Mario game. I love most of Mario's games, but those two are definitely at the top for me.

Spinoff games, the Party games, followed closely by Kart games (there's not a single Kart game I don't like) and N64 Tennis and Golf. I should play more RPG Marios though, so far I only played SMRPG and N64 Paper Mario.

firekirby

Smash Rookie
For me:

Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Paper Mario
Super Paper Mario
& Mario Racing Games.

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
I love the Mario sports games and the Paper Mario series, but Super Mario Bros. 3 is still and very likely will be my all-time favorite game.
It was the first game that I ever played and it still holds up as a great platformer. The various worlds are still as interesting today as they were in the NES days.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Counting only central Mario games, so no karts or sports or parties, I'd have to say...

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario Land 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Though, honestly, the exact numbering is unimportant. And there are still plenty of other games I could easily justify switching one of these out for from time to time.

Really, it would be more difficult to come up with a list of Mario games I've played that I don't love. The only one that comes to mind is NSMB Wii, and Super Mario Bros. 2 has never been a favorite.

EDIT: Disregard the necro-bump comment I made. My mistake. I forgot when replying to the first page it'll sometimes show recent posts at the end.

Last edited:

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
My personal favorites are SM64 and Super Mario World.
I do think Sunshine is a really underrated game though.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
My personal favorite is Mario Sunshine due to its unique water based gameplay.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Galaxy was outstanding. I'm not a big platforming gamer, but Galaxy drew me in with its creativity and its beautiful soundtrack. Rosalina and Luma being in Smash is a dream come true- I absolutely loved the Lumas all throughout Galaxy and Galaxy's amazing soundtrack is able to be showcased in Smash Bros.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say Galaxy 2 or 3D World, there's just something immensly unique about all the worlds in that game that just makes it fun to play. Sunshine and 64 also would rank as some of my favorites for nostalgia purposes.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I like pretty much all of those games listed on the poll. There are some I have yet to play, but most Mario games I usually do enjoy in some way. Can't forget Luigi's Mansion and it's sequel too. :3

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
All of them are my favorites, though here's my top 5 (note that I haven't played NSMBU and SM3DW yet).

5. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Sunshine
2. Super Mario World
1. Super Mario 64

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Of the ones I've beaten, my favorite 5 are Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario 64, and the original Super Mario Bros.

I still have to beat World, 3D World, Galaxy, and 2... And sad thing is I have all of them, I just haven't finished them all. Working on 3D World though. I'll probably go back to World.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario 3D Land
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Suzie

The Epitome of an Unparalleled Knight
My personal favorites would be Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
I voted for all the Paper Mario games, especially TTYD and SPM (I don't see Sticker Star, but this one is weird)
Then comes the Mario&Luigi series, I have never played the first one, but Partners in Time, Bowser's inside story and Dream Team Bros are simply amazing!
And my third choice is Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1/2, unfortunately I never finished the first two, as I have the weird habit of being "scared" of water-themed levels.

Awesome games, ton of fun, great memories.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Tough choice, but I'm gonna have to go with Super Mario Bros. 3. As for my other favorites, the Mario Kart series, Super Mario 64, the Super Mario Galaxy series, Super Mario World, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, and the Super Mario 3D series.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I love and voted for several... but if I had to pick one, Super Mario 64 is my all time favorite. It's the game that I currently speedrun and do not get tired of... and the Mario game I've compared every other to (3D wise). Besides that, I'm a huge fan of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. And SM RPG is a different genre but a no brainer. Also, SM3D World is legendary! Love these games!

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Super Mario Galaxy was so good! It has that sense of freedom and adventure and the music is so amazing!
Also Super Mario 3D World was fantastic.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
For 3D Marios, it's Galaxy one, no contest. 2D, it's a tie between SMW and NSMBW. Yeah yeah, NSMB gets hate for being rehashed, but NSMBW is probably the hardest 2D Mario this side of LL, and actually fun to boot. Mario Maker will prooobably beat 'em both, heh.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Talking about 3D Mario...no match, Super Mario Galaxy is the best. Super Mario 3D World is amazing, anyway.
2D? Super Mario World at first place...but this first place is shared with Yoshi's Island, a pure poetry. Coloured, fabulous, moving, genial, funny, enjoying. Anyway, YI is not considered a "Mario" by many people...
And I cannot forget Super Mario Bros.3...;)

The NSMB series, IMHO, is garbage.

Considering not-platform Marios, I wanna remember ya Paper Mario TTYD, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and the good Mario Kart 8.

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
2d Super mario bros 3 for sure. I really enjoyed 3d Land and 3d World for the new game perspective. Mario 64 will always be a classic.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My favorite Mario games:

• Super Mario World: An all-around classic, which I will never get tired of playing.
  • Yoshi's Island: Quite possibly my first video game, and certainly my most memorable one.
  • Super Mario 64 (and the DS remake): I remember watching my brother play this game to completion back in the 1990s, and then trying it out myself after he was finished.
  • Super Mario 3D World: Best modern Mario game ever! I can't think of anything bad about this one, literally.

jclittle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jiggywiggy
Mario World and RPG were fantastic. I have yet to play a Mario game that could top World for me. I even attempted a speed run at one point. I didn't get a world record, but it was fun trying.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Paper Mario series (except for the third and fourth entries).
I love these games.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
When it comes to Mario games, Sunshine doesn't get enough love. I can see why, but damn I love that game.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64 are my favorite games in the series. The latter is arguably the most well designed game ever made. It's hard to believe that Nintendo perfected 3D camera control on their very first try. What a masterpiece.

Top Bottom