• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

Cless

Smash Champion
Just as planned, huh?

I dunno, I liked it from the one book I read. It looked generic, but also promising. I also heard the ending was disappointing for some.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Really? What's so great about it? From the episode I watched (It started with "why the hell did you let him get away? It's some blue guy who then tells who I was guessing was the hero about someone and how they hid something from him which kinda looked like a heart shaped gem, then some robot dude who apparently was the hero's brother, jumps out of the water and does...something that makes the hero mad and the hero just screams on and on and on...). Didn't seem so great but then again I only watched that part, so maybe I missed the good parts.
Blue dude?...

As for why the series is absolutely incredible...

It's story is intriguing covering a wide variety of topics (many of which have implications to our world), yet the way they tell the story it never feels stale even when dealing with such heavy topics. Furthermore the frequent usage of comic moments is very effective in connecting the audience to the characters while at the same time increasing the impact of the overall tragedy of the series.

You'll have to see at least a reasonable portion of the series in order to realize how incredible the series is as a whole, the character development, the plot, it really provides an incredible overall experience.

Really, if you saw more of the series, you'd understand that such comic moments are not what dominates the series, yet their existence and their overall effectiveness is one of the reasons why the series is so great.

Best episode (IMO): 35, though don't watch it without background, and this is from an artistic prospective, a lot of people will not like this episode since it's so incredibly tragic.

As for the episode you mentioned, the reason Ed ("the hero", but really this show isn't anywhere near that black and white) was pissed about Al (the "robot dude", he's not a robot...) jumping in the water was before that point, being exposed to water in the wrong place would kill him, and Ed didn't realize that the change protected him.

Anyways, yes, you missed the good parts, and in context that section is a good part, but if you have no idea about the rest of the show it's just random gibberish, generally this is the case with the best shows because they build on each other so effectively.

I'd expect a similar response to starting in the middle of Serial Experiments Lain or Ghost in the Shell: SAC, or Cowboy Bebop to name a few, heck even with something as unsophisticated as DBZ they still draw on previous events enough for you to be lost in a similar case.

The moral of the story being: "watch the series through, don't skip around".

Cless

Smash Champion
You can start in the middle of Bebop and be fine. After ep 9 it doesn't really matter what order you watch the episodes in up until 24 as long as you watch 12 and 13 one after another. That show is really episodic while still having an overall plot to it.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
alright I guess I'll take a quick trip to youtube and watch episodes 1-5 before making a judgement then. Oh and who I meant by "the blue dude" was some guy in a blue jacket, had black hair, and he seemed and talked like an authority figure. I dunno who he is. Anyways thanks for your patient awnsers, I know I must have been somewhat irritating huh?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You can start in the middle of Bebop and be fine. After ep 9 it doesn't really matter what order you watch the episodes in up until 24 as long as you watch 12 and 13 one after another. That show is really episodic while still having an overall plot to it.
Yeah, but as I remember the storyline ultimately collated, so while the order wasn't so much the issue in this case as much as not having seen just about anything in the series. Then again, been a while since I've seen it, Bebop is good, but not comparable to the ones I mentioned previously (think, "I'm willing to invest the time to see the series, but not really something that I'll rave about").

Keep in mind that this guy dropped in at what I'm almost positive was the absolute end of FMA, judging by the reference made.

alright I guess I'll take a quick trip to youtube and watch episodes 1-5 before making a judgement then. Oh and who I meant by "the blue dude" was some guy in a blue jacket, had black hair, and he seemed and talked like an authority figure. I dunno who he is. Anyways thanks for your patient awnsers, I know I must have been somewhat irritating huh?
Oh, you were referencing to the uniform he wears, Mustang, lol, generally that's not the words that would come to mind to describe him.

I would suggest going up to 7 though, 7 really sets a lot of the tone for the overall series, but it's quite tragic, so if you don't like it at that point, might I suggest that tragic shows really aren't your cup of tea?

Oh, and don't skip ahead to it, it'll kill the impact.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, but as I remember the storyline ultimately collated, so while the order wasn't so much the issue in this case as much as not having seen just about anything in the series. Then again, been a while since I've seen it, Bebop is good, but not comparable to the ones I mentioned previously (think, "I'm willing to invest the time to see the series, but not really something that I'll rave about").

Keep in mind that this guy dropped in at what I'm almost positive was the absolute end of FMA, judging by the reference made.
Yeah, I'd say the most important episodes were 3, 5, 9, 12, 13, 24, 25, and 26. You can watch all the ones in between those in any order you want really, except you have to watch 15 before 18.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
if i get premium, im going to make my avatar this picture of ryuk i scanned. its pretty nice. ill post when im not on itouch.

Cless

Smash Champion
Man, everyone loves Death Note. I mean, the story is interesting, but all the characters are *******s or ********. There's no middle ground.

courte

Smash Lord
don't you love it when theres a show or even game series with a collection of people from different countries all over the world... but theres always a couple of things that seems to repeat

1) almost never australia or antarctica
2) africa is almost always treated like a country and not a continent

roflmao much??

Cless

Smash Champion
No one lived in Antarctica, and I don't know how much Japan differentiates between Australia and England. Just look at G Gundam to see what Japan thought of the world in the mid-90's

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
For those of you looking for something similar to Death Note, try Code Geass.

Basically, it's Death Note + Gundam. It's more of a generic anime than Death Note, so people like Eor who dislike anime conventions may be disappointed. Instead of being a sort of crime series, it is more about a war, the main character uses his ability to lead a rebellion. Although he's quite capable in other ways. Just like Light is smart in deception, Lelouch is good at war tactics.

Also, it will be a relief for people who like Death Note but wanted to see some explosions and gunfire and pizza between all the talking.

Also, the series is currently at 25 episodes and is awaiting the next season which will start in around two months. So now's a good time to catch up.

Also, I just watched Berserk again. Awesomeness reconfirmed. I actually like the dubbing (except for Zod) and missed it when I was watching the subbed eps again. Girffith just sounds so happy-go-lucky, especially in the earlier episodes. "Uh-oh! Now I've done it!"Although when I recommend this series to people I have not been mentioning its relentless oldness. It's weird. It's a fast-paced show overall, lots of stuff happens every episode, but a lot of the shots linger more than modern cuts do. Also, they use those scrolling picture things for a lot of action scenes instead of actually animating them.

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
For those of you looking for something similar to Death Note, try Code Geass.

Basically, it's Death Note + Gundam. It's more of a generic anime than Death Note, so people like Eor who dislike anime conventions may be disappointed. Instead of being a sort of crime series, it is more about a war, the main character uses his ability to lead a rebellion. Although he's quite capable in other ways. Just like Light is smart in deception, Lelouch is good at war tactics.

Also, it will be a relief for people who like Death Note but wanted to see some explosions and gunfire and pizza between all the talking.

Also, the series is currently at 25 episodes and is awaiting the next season which will start in around two months. So now's a good time to catch up.

Also, I just watched Berserk again. Awesomeness reconfirmed. I actually like the dubbing (except for Zod) and missed it when I was watching the subbed eps again. Girffith just sounds so happy-go-lucky, especially in the earlier episodes. "Uh-oh! Now I've done it!"Although when I recommend this series to people I have not been mentioning its relentless oldness. It's weird. It's a fast-paced show overall, lots of stuff happens every episode, but a lot of the shots linger more than modern cuts do. Also, they use those scrolling picture things for a lot of action scenes instead of actually animating them.
yes seriously code geass is great. ive seen it and it lived up to my expectations. and its coming to adult swim so everyone can get a look at it

i only wait for when the 2nd season starts

Sandy

Smash Champion
I have two question for the anime experts:

1. What is Air Gear about? My friend showed me the series but I couldn't get into it.

2. In Yu Yu Hakusho, what is the song playing when Toguro "attacks" Kuwabara in the Dark Tournament saga? I can't find it on the OST...

Cless

Smash Champion
It's a shame that the anime ends right before everything begins.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
After Death Note I'm having trouble getting into any other series. After watching so many action-centric shows, Death Note was a nice break, and I can't seem to find anything that's stirring up my interest. I guess I'll have to start watching teen dramas and gameshows...

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I have two question for the anime experts:

1. What is Air Gear about? My friend showed me the series but I couldn't get into it.

2. In Yu Yu Hakusho, what is the song playing when Toguro "attacks" Kuwabara in the Dark Tournament saga? I can't find it on the OST...
Air Gear is somewhat an electronic/battery powered inline skater anime that deals with gang/team competitions.

uh... can't think right now.

falco999

Smash Apprentice
These are the anime's i've watched:

Naruto
Bleach
G Gundam
DBZ
Tsubasa Chronicles
Great Teacher Onizuka
Death Note
Fooly Cooly
Full Metal Alchemist
Over Drive
Full Metal Panic
Genshiken
Ouran High School Host Club
Azumanga Daioh

Can anyone recommend some good animes?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Hey i wanna bring up a discussion. I don't know if you guys are intrested, but sense naruto and bleach are made from the same writer. Why is bleach so much better than naruto?I mean i love action and bleach delivers it... naruto just doesn't. I was catching up on the subed episodes and in naruto ship they had a thirdy second fight scene and talked for three episodes.(fell asleep)
I watched Bleach and two of the main charecters bassically got dominated.

Is there a reason that naruto is kinda becoming a soap opera?
on a side note i don't read the mangas so if these changes i appollogize ahead of time.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Can someone explain Hikaru no Go to me?
It's a anime/manga about a kid who finds a Go board possessed by the spirit of an excellent Go player from hundreds of years ago, and goes on to become really good at Go.

I know it sounds like a dumb plot, but it's actually very good. You ought to give it a shot, anyhow. You may not like it, and it's not your typical Dragonball or Naruto, but it's quite good.

Hey i wanna bring up a discussion. I don't know if you guys are intrested, but sense naruto and bleach are made from the same writer. Why is bleach so much better than naruto?I mean i love action and bleach delivers it... naruto just doesn't. I was catching up on the subed episodes and in naruto ship they had a thirdy second fight scene and talked for three episodes.(fell asleep)
I watched Bleach and two of the main charecters bassically got dominated.

Is there a reason that naruto is kinda becoming a soap opera?
on a side note i don't read the mangas so if these changes i appollogize ahead of time.
They're not by the same writer. They're in the same magazine, but that's pretty much it.

Anyhow, I'm finding the Bleach manga very boring lately. The fights are just posturing and more posturing, with very little to spice it up except near constant powerups in the middle of the fights. Naruto has gotten worse lately too, but at least the fights still involve some strategy and intelligence involved. Of course, that's only my opinion.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
my bad about them being made by the same person but i thought they where i read that somewhere and your post good sense but i love action so bleach gives me the fix... lolz

Cless

Smash Champion
Anyhow, I'm finding the Bleach manga very boring lately. The fights are just posturing and more posturing, with very little to spice it up except near constant powerups in the middle of the fights. Naruto has gotten worse lately too, but at least the fights still involve some strategy and intelligence involved. Of course, that's only my opinion.
Yeah, Naruto has good strategy. The last fight was the two people standing there for 2 or 3 chapters because it was entirely genjutsu. Then they just tried to prove who was more broken and ended up knocking themselves out of commission. The last fight with strategy was the last one Shikamaru was involved in.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Naruto will soon suffer the same fate Digimon did. It's just a passing fad with the mainstream anime watchers. It will die soon enough. All you need is a little patience.

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
my top favorite anime is Elfen Lied! Such a sad anime with an awsome story...poor Lucy :(

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, is still my favorite~. The randomness always kept me interested. I can't wait till the next season [if they EVER will!].

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Naruto will soon suffer the same fate Digimon did. It's just a passing fad with the mainstream anime watchers. It will die soon enough. All you need is a little patience.
thats good to know um... not to sound weird but isn't elfienlied hentai i heard that somewhere?

Top Bottom