• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastfaller matchups?

Happens2u

Writing Team
I've been playing mainly YL at my past few weeklies and, while I am certainly not a great player, I might be having some matchup trouble. I played against ICs, Peach, and Jiggs and I felt fine, but playing against Fox (the most common character in my region) and Sheik seemed to give me a lot of trouble. I think it was because I was no longer able to outrun them and use projectiles.

What can I do to fight through these matchups? I don't think this problem will go away soon with 20XX approaching (kidding), so is it worthwhile to find a secondary? My Marth is decent, but I still feel better with YL and like him much more. I'm pretty sure it is a playstyle issue, so I wondered what you all do. What projectiles should I be using and when? What kind of followups should I look for?

Prioritized

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prioritized
3DS FC
0430-8412-2191
Against Fox and Falco, your best option is to gimp them. Don't let them take you to FD or Stadium because lasers suck. I like to camp the top platform and drop bombs until they get to a percent where dsmash can knock them offstage for a gimp.

Edit: I mean edgeguard, not gimp.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
For falcon and fox you need to stuff their approaches with disjointed moves such as uptilt, ftilt, fair. basically the sword moves. If theyre not approaching you just pull bombs and then throw boomerangs and arrows. Arrows are usefull if your boomerang is already out. Often time a full hop rising bomb pull is safer than a SH bomb pull because you can jump or waveland before you hit the floor.

Falco is a completely different animal. Youre actually faster than him but you cant approach him on the ground because of lasers. For falco you just need to use platforms and win the projectile game to get an opening. It shouldnt be too hard seeing as youre projectiles can be thrown at different trajectories but his only travel horizontally.

Sheik shouldnt be giving you such a hard time. If youre getting wrecked by dthrow you need to accept that shes going to get damage in but she cant actually techchase or chaingrab you with proper DI. Pika has it worse and Axe deals with it well just watch this match and analyze how he DI's in each situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fyYrDz-l8 - Axe vs M2k
Besides that you can zone her out really well with projectiles and disjointed moves. You can combo her pretty well and edgeguarding her is cake. Really the key to beating sheik is to get her offstage and punish her laggy recovery. If shes offstage grab the ledge and keep refreshing your invincibility. When she get back on do a dair or upair from ledge depending on her % and position. You can even do a bomb stall to pull a bomb while shes recovering. Also, fsmash works well on sheik and marth at any % since the first hit has set knockback and it does good damage. Just remember to not use fsmash when youre too close.

Above all, work on your punish and combo game. The bomb is among the best combo starters in neutral but it doesnt do much if you cant followup well. Take the opening it gives you as far as you can. Once theyre at mid-high %s hit em offstage and edgeguard them. Do not be afraid to go offstage to edgeguard the spacie up-b. It has 42 frames of startup, so you have plenty of time to go out there and hit them. obviously sometimes grabbing the ledge or using dsmash will be a better choice but dont be afraid to go deep for kills since young link's recovery is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom