• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Faster 64 (lower input latency)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Are there any known ways to increase emulation speed? If so I've come up with a little hack that halves the framerate of the game. 1/2 game speed * 200% emulation speed makes for lower input latency.

Let's make this a thing

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Thanks for the cred for the idea and for finding the codeline bud :glare:

I appreciate it if you would've answered my question and not take my idea and run with it.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Thanks for the cred for the idea and for finding the codeline bud :glare:

I appreciate it if you would've answered my question and not take my idea and run with it.
1. You didn't find the right line of code or understand what was happening. You were close
2. You couldn't have gotten as far as you did without me answering your question about where the training mode setting was.
3. Before you asked the question, you asked me to do this hack for you.
4. I did answer your latest question on "what to do if a codeline is only in RAM" in certain situations by giving you a start. This should allow you to produce hacks on your own, instead of just giving you what do in this case by explaining parameters, return values, JALs, and sharing my comments that helped me find the actual advanceFrame() function when it was literally in front of your face.
5. If the hack was released, your name would have been on it.

No need to be so petty. Advance the game and relax and credit (that you literally would've gotten). You don't see me complaining about not getting credit for hacks in 20XXTE because I'm just glad people are benefiting as that is the ultimate goal.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
1. You didn't find the right line of code or understand what was happening. You were close
2. You couldn't have gotten as far as you did without me answering your question about where the training mode setting was.
4. I did answer your latest question on "what to do if a codeline is only in RAM" in certain situations by giving you a start. This should allow you to produce hacks on your own, instead of just giving you what do in this case by explaining parameters, return values, JALs, and sharing my comments that helped me find the actual advanceFrame() function when it was literally in front of your face.

No need to be so petty. Advance the game and relax and credit (that you literally would've gotten). You don't see me complaining about not getting credit for hacks in 20XXTE because I'm just glad people are benefiting as that is the ultimate goal.
Calm down buddy just give the guy his credit for helping you.

Also what is this even about? Less delays? What are you measuring as input latency? I understand what you're doing, I just don't understand how it's practical in anyway. Can we get a demonstration?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace

1. I traced the code and saw it JAL'ing in different spots when a new frame was drawn. I just wanted an answer to a question. I didn't tell you everything I found because I just wanted to know if I could accomplish branching to this line of code in VS Mode. I spent like 10 minutes in the debugger and explored one option by messaging you.
2. I didn't know what cheat search was until 6 months ago (when i asked you). Its insanely easy to find the training code address.
3. I asked you over 6 months ago and you never did anything with it, so I took it into my own hands and grinded out ASM learning
4. You made a thread about it before you answered my question.
5. Thats fine, if I spent a day on this I wouldn't care. I spent countless hours in the past few months learning enough of a background to accomplish this and now the guy I looked to for help took the idea and didn't credit me for anything. I don't think its hard to see why its frustrating.

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Calm down buddy just give the guy his credit for helping you.

Also what is this even about? Less delays? What are you measuring as input latency? I understand what you're doing, I just don't understand how it's practical in anyway. Can we get a demonstration?
Thanks for the concern dude. Yeah, I was trying to accomplish the same lag reductions Faster Melee had when it was on the 120FPS build.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
blame the mods letting smasherx run loose
This troll has embodied the 64 section of smashboards. Mods don't even do realize who you are despite countless evidence.

Sad to see netplay so dead for us Americans/europeans. The japanse still have tons of players on all the time.

caneut

Smash Ace
This troll has embodied the 64 section of smashboards. Mods don't even do realize who you are despite countless evidence.

Sad to see netplay so dead for us Americans/europeans. The japanse still have tons of players on all the time.
smasherx i know i banned you from my server but my server has decent activity. gets dead in american late hours but ya,

mods pls ban smasherx

make smashboards great again

Uair

Banned via Warnings
smasherx i know i banned you from my server but my server has decent activity. gets dead in american late hours but ya,

mods pls ban smasherx

make smashboards great again

I know you're smasherx74. Cuddly told me.

also when I say the japanese servers are more populated, they have like 40-60 people on sometimes with tons of smash bros being played.

Last edited by a moderator:

ownage

Smash Rookie
Love the thoughts on this. Just curious. Could this solve the issues of Starcraft 64? As any game progresses, the emulation slows down to probably less than half speed.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Love the thoughts on this. Just curious. Could this solve the issues of Starcraft 64? As any game progresses, the emulation slows down to probably less than half speed.
On PJ64k? There are tons of reasons why emulation would slow down/speed up certain parts if not an entire game.

Sounds interesting to look into.

ownage

Smash Rookie
On PJ64k? There are tons of reasons why emulation would slow down/speed up certain parts if not an entire game.

Sounds interesting to look into.
Not just PJ64k (or NetPlay), really any emulator, or even the original N64 for that matter. I believe there's slightly less slow down on the original hardware than the ROM. If the game were able to somehow utilize the computer's hardware, I don't see why this issue wouldn't be able to be fixed. We're talking 3-4 hour Starcraft games that could easily be reduced by an hour each if they ran at full speed (like when we spawn in the beginning). Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:
Top Bottom