• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Farmer Pitches in! (Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons Farmer for Super Smash Bros Ultimate)

Would you like to see the Harvest Moon Farmer in Smash?

• Total voters

Ornl

Smash Ace
Farmer can't evolve with the damage. This is already the Joker principle :/
I don't realize what is the result of stamina system.
The specificity of the gameplay has become a important element for the DLC. Except Banjo, which is especially fun and doesn't need specific gameplay because he is the the ballot choice.

amageish

Smash Master
Farmer can't evolve with the damage. This is already the Joker principle :/
I don't realize what is the result of stamina system.
The specificity of the gameplay has become a important element for the DLC. Except Banjo, which is especially fun and doesn't need specific gameplay because he is the the ballot choice.
Well, before it was the Joker principle, it was the Lucario principle. Plus this would be a set of 4 evolution, not just a back-and-forth game or consistent stat boost.

Stamina system would be similar to Hero/Robin, as it is a function in the main games that limits the actions you can perform in a day. If they wanted to make it more unique, then they could have it be that specials damage you if you use them too often.

I mean, realistically, I'm not expecting them as DLC either. I don't think its due to lack of moveset potential, but simply because it is a much smaller franchise then all third-parties in Smash have been thus far. I am kinda curious who you expect as I final two characters though, as you seem to have a very strict definition of how unique characters would have to be to qualify for DLC.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Well, before it was the Joker principle, it was the Lucario principle. Plus this would be a set of 4 evolution, not just a back-and-forth game or consistent stat boost.

Stamina system would be similar to Hero/Robin, as it is a function in the main games that limits the actions you can perform in a day. If they wanted to make it more unique, then they could have it be that specials damage you if you use them too often.

I mean, realistically, I'm not expecting them as DLC either. I don't think its due to lack of moveset potential, but simply because it is a much smaller franchise then all third-parties in Smash have been thus far. I am kinda curious who you expect as I final two characters though, as you seem to have a very strict definition of how unique characters would have to be to qualify for DLC.
But Joker would be in the same Fighter Pass. Like Arsene and Hero's RPG attacks, the last 2 DLCs should each have something new or better used than other fighters. Many characters have original potential. But the top of the RTC previsions (Crash, Resident Evil rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, Doomguy...) don't have any. The other choices Capcom : Monster Hunter / Bamco : Heihachi Mishima haven't been able to integrate Ultimate, potentially for the same reason. Bomberman could have had a lot of bombs, but the reason for the gameplay was probably an obstacle (and not because there was already Belmont). A new character should have a more legitimate gameplay than Monster Hunter, Heihachi Mishima and Bomberman. I only wish that Farmer be able to do it.

Possible original mechanics are still not used:
- obstacle: push the opponent without damage, create walls, temporarily lock up,
- use the platforms: roller skating, swinging in suspension, catching from below,
- be hidden: invisibility by being immobile, grow grasses to hide, create zones of blindness,
- leaving the physical body: invulnerable astral projection capable of making special attacks at a distance, but the physical body is immobile and vulnerable,
- damage manipulation: vampirism damage, sacrifice 100 damage to automatically return to the battlefield, temporarily exchange damage with a targeted character,
- double: create a double that disappears at the slightest damage, switch place with the double, order the double,
- static invocations / glyph : tree of life, tangle plant, poisonous herbs,

Banjo was the balot choice. Joker (+Sega +Atlus) and Hero (+Squenix +Spike Chunsoft) were Famitsu choices.
- Amaterasu would be the last Famitsu choice (+universal disinction here and here) with a potenciel for an original gamplay and a new game in the Okami series.
- Frisk / Farmer could be a (small) Nintendo DREAM choice (more chances than Phoenix Wright / Layton).
- a new IP 2019 could be the choice to represent the Switch.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
But Joker would be in the same Fighter Pass. Like Arsene and Hero's RPG attacks, the last 2 DLCs should each have something new or better used than other fighters. Many characters have original potential. But the top of the RTC previsions (Crash, Resident Evil rep, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, Doomguy...) don't have any. The other choices Capcom : Monster Hunter / Bamco : Heihachi Mishima haven't been able to integrate Ultimate, potentially for the same reason. Bomberman could have had a lot of bombs, but the reason for the gameplay was probably an obstacle (and not because there was already Belmont). A new character should have a more legitimate gameplay than Monster Hunter, Heihachi Mishima and Bomberman. I only wish that Farmer be able to do it.

- obstacle: push the opponent without damage, create walls, temporarily lock up,
- use the platforms: roller skating, swinging in suspension, catching from below,
- be hidden: invisibility by being immobile, grow grasses to hide, create zones of blindness,
- leaving the physical body: invulnerable astral projection capable of making special attacks at a distance, but the physical body is immobile and vulnerable,
- damage manipulation: vampirism damage, sacrifice 100 damage to automatically return to the battlefield, temporarily exchange damage with a targeted character,
- double: create a double that disappears at the slightest damage, switch place with the double, order the double,

Banjo was the balot choice. Joker (+Sega +Atlus) and Hero (+Squenix +Spike Chunsoft) were Famitsu choices.
- Amaterasu would be the last Famitsu choice (+universal disinction here and here) with a potenciel for an original gamplay and a new game in the Okami series.
- Frisk / Farmer could be a (small) Nintendo DREAM choice (more chances than Phoenix Wright / Layton).
Interesting choices! Yeah, I was thinking that most of the highly-expected characters didn't meet your qualifications of uniqueness. Interesting collection of theories though! Those are also some very unique mechanic ideas, though I imagine that some would be harder to balance then others.

I don't know if I 100% agree with your methods for deterimining likeliness, but they are definitely interesting! Thanks for sharing them!

What did Nintendo DREAM say about UnderTale/Story of Seasons/Ace Attorney/Layton?

Ornl

Smash Ace
I don't know if I 100% agree with your methods for deterimining likeliness, but they are definitely interesting! Thanks for sharing them!
What did Nintendo DREAM say about UnderTale/Story of Seasons/Ace Attorney/Layton?
Thanks for you feedback :)

Nintendo DREAM (I think they are young readers)
Characters small poll (top 20)
- Sep 2019 : Sans 5th.
- Aug 2019 : Sans 10th.
- July 2019 : Sans 11th, Frey (Rune Factory) 14th, Susie 16th, Undine 18th.
- June 2019 : Sans 5th, Undyne 18th, Susie 20th.
- May 2019 : Sans 5th, Frisk 17th, Papyrus 19th.
- April 2019 : Undine 11th, Sans 16th, Frisk 18th.
- Mar 2019 : Sans 8th, Mettaton 13th, Papyrus 17th, Frisk 19th.
- Feb 2019 : Sans 2nd, Papyrus 5th, Mettaton 8th, Undyne 9th, Papyrus 5th, Frisk 15th, Toriel 17th, Flowey 18th.
(yet the votes were divided between several!)
- Jan 2019 : Sans 19th.
- Dec 2018 : Sans 18th.
- Nov 2018 : x
- Oct 2018 : Sans 19th.
In France, young players support Sans for Ultimate in top 1 on social networks. It's surprising.

Most wanted (top 15)
- Sept 2019 : Story of Seasons (new work) 8th (7.8%), Rune Factory 4 9th (5.2%), Rune Factory 5 13th (3.7%).
- Aug 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 9th, Story of Seasons (new work) 11th.
- July 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 8th, Story of Seasons (new work) 10th, Story of Seasons Doraemon 15th.
- May 2019 : Rune Factory 4 5th, Rune Factory 5 6th, Story of Seasons (new work) 8th, Story of Seasons Doraemon 14th.
- April 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 7th, Story of Seasons (new work) 13th.

In this magazine, Inazuma Eleven is preferred to Layton / Yokai Watch. Phoenix Wright is discreet these days.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Thanks for you feedback :)

Nintendo DREAM (I think they are young readers)
Characters small poll (top 20)
- July 2019 : Sans 11th, Frey (Rune Factory) 14th, Susie 16th, Undine 18th.
- June 2019 : Sans 5th, Undyne 18th, Susie 20th.
- May 2019 : Sans 5th, Frisk 17th, Papyrus 19th.
- April 2019 : Undine 11th, Sans 16th, Frisk 18th.
- Mar 2019 : Sans 8th, Mettaton 13th, Papyrus 17th, Frisk 19th.
- Feb 2019 : Sans 2sd, Papyrus 5th, Mettaton 8th, Undyne 9th, Papyrus 5th, Frisk 15th, Toriel 17th, Flowey 18th.
(yet the votes were divided between several!)
- Jan 2019 : Sans 19th.
- Dec 2018 : Sans 18th.
- Nov 2018 : x
- Oct 2018 : Sans 19th.
In France, young players support Sans for Ultimate in top 1 on social networks. It's surprising.

Most wanted (top 15)
- Aug 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 9th, Story of Seasons (new work) 11th.
- July 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 8th, Story of Seasons (new work) 10th, Story of Seasons Doraemon 15th.
- May 2019 : Rune Factory 4 5th, Rune Factory 5 6th, Story of Seasons (new work) 8th, Story of Seasons Doraemon 14th.
- April 2019 : Rune Factory 4 6th, Rune Factory 5 7th, Story of Seasons (new work) 13th.

In this magazine, Inazuma Eleven is preferred to Layton / Yokai Watch. Phoenix Wright is discreet these days.
Wow. I don't know what aspect of that is most surprising! Young readership would explain it a bit, but still. That is a lot of UNDERTALE and Frey being there at all kinda shocks me - I suppose that explains why Rune Factory 4 Special was given primetime in a Nintendo Direct at least. I could imagine a younger-targeted character as DLC though to target the audience that likely just bought a Switch Mini.

SirCamp

Smash Ace

This is sort of a response to all of your comments in this thread, but you seem to have very fixed criteria for what you consider to be the requirements for character playability. The reality is that we really don't know what, if any, requirements exist. We don't know what Sakurai is thinking, apart from the few interviews he gives, but even then those are few, they are subject to translation issues, and even if we interpret his intentions correctly things can change at any time. So this kind of thing is entirely subjective, as much as people like to think otherwise.

Personally, I think the Farmer could very easily be made to be unique. Really, even further, I think any character could be made to be unique. It just depends on the designers creativity. And honestly, as I've said before, I have full faith in Sakurai to do the characters he chooses justice.

So you can say the Farmer wouldn't be unique or interesting enough, but just bear in mind that that is your opinion, not a hard and fast reality. Additionally, I would be wary of making knowledge claims about things like such and such character being in for such and such reason. You might suspect that to be the case, but you don't know that with any level of certainty. Unless you have some crazy insider information you would like to share with the class. ;)

Ornl

Smash Ace
The reality is that we really don't know what, if any, requirements exist.
Things can change at any time.
The main thing has been said. The intention is very similar from 2014 to 2019.

According to Sakurai, 2014
- The character must display personality in their game,
- It’s important to have something only that character can do. Every character needs to have a reason to be in. The decision takes into account if there is no conflict with other characters.
"No matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."
The Ice Climbers are an example of just how important having a unique moveset is. Despite being a very unpopular choice in the Smash 2 Poll, Ice Climbers were chosen as the ‘retro representative’, beating a lot more characters.
- Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration. Development advances while taking into consideration how those characters can be fun to play in Smash.
- Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration. The characters in a series that has no future are rarely chosen.
- Even if they fulfill some of criteria, some characters can’t join the battle. Waluigi is perhaps the best example of this.
- The clones are treated as a “free desert” and aren't planned characters.

According to Reggie, 2018
"Who never saw it coming, new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5 : it's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC. He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros environment. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking".

According to Sakurai, 2019
- Sakurai treats character’s individuality as its own game itself. All the unique systems certain characters has are all newly built just for him/her.
- Smash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn’t make Smash worthy. If there is no new series, then the selection of the characters will be from the old series.

So you can say the Farmer wouldn't be unique or interesting enough, but just bear in mind that that is your opinion, not a hard and fast reality.
I didn't say this. I asked what Farmer's true potential was rather than using a fork or vegetable shots.

Additionally, I would be wary of making knowledge claims about things like such and such character being in for such and such reason. You might suspect that to be the case, but you don't know that with any level of certainty.
Banjo is the ballot choice.
- In an e-mail response asking about including a character from Rare for Melee, Sakurai commented that it was difficult to include a character from Rare for various reasons. While some may see Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion as natural, they may not be able to do so in their 'adult circumstances', this most likely means copyright as Rare was bought by Microsoft during Melee's development.
- So the community supported Banjo.
- Above Bayonetta, there were other characters in the ballot that were already tried to negotiate but got rejected. It is safe to say that it was Banjo.

Joker and Hero aren't ballot choices. Both are top 1 and top 2 of the favorite games of Famitsu readers in 2017, and have a unique gameplay that offers a new level of fun.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The main thing has been said. The intention is very similar from 2014 to 2019.
That is all true, though "uniqueness" and "individually" is still kind of a subjective - ex/ Hero has a unique gimmick within Smash, though DQ has gameplay that is similar to a metric tonne of other series represented in Smash. So, many characters could be made more/less unique mechanically basically just based on Sakurai's whims.

I do find the Famitsu readership survey idea interesting though...

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So I dunno if this is common knowledge or not, but I just found out that Marvelous is the developer for Daemon X Machina? Not gonna lie this surprised me. And upon further investigation they have a hand in the development or publishing of more Switch games than I realized. Like God Eater 3, Fate/Extella, and possibly Senran Kagura? Interestingly they also had a hand in developing a Japanese only Pokemon spin-off game called Pokemon Ga-Ole. So they've even developed with Nintendo first party properties, even if for a Japanese only arcade release. And that is of course on top of Story of Seasons: FoMT, SoS: Doraemon, Rune Factory 4, and Rune Factory 5.

So Nintendo adding in a Marvelous character might actually not be that wild, especially given how much they've been pushing Daemon X Machina and how much the company has been supporting the Switch. And Story of Seasons is still Marvelous' largest series by far. *crosses fingers*

Ornl

Smash Ace
According to Nintendo DREAM, Marvelous and Level 5 would be logical choices as Nintendo Associates.

Nintendo DREAM is a Nintendo video game magazine published in Japan. There are several recurring chapters:
- Animal Crossing: mail and artisanal creations of readers,
- Mario: community and promotion space about Mario,
- Zelda: community and folder space about Zelda,
- Kirby: community space and products about Kirby,
- Fire Emblem: community space about Fire Emblem,
- Mother: community space about Mother,
- Pokémon: information about Pokémon,
- Capcomania: information about Capcom,
- Sega & Friends: information about Sega,
- KONAMI channel: information about KONAMI with corner about Power Pro series,
- Bandai Namco Museum: information about Bamco,
- Macanavi Marvelous AQL Navigation: information about Marvelous and comics about Rune Factory series,
- Level 5 Revolution: information about Level 5 and corner by Takuzo Nagano (designer).

Sure, Marvelous and Level 5 are missing in Smash Bros, But Sakurai seems to want more, and Squenix and Microsoft have already been considered more important.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Marvelous is definitely the third most-Nintendo-tied Japanese company not currently in Smash IMO - after Koei-Techmo (who have developed an impressive amount of Nintendo games and Nintendo crossovers) and Level-5 (who seem to just use Nintendo as their main localization company at this point, with Yokai Watch and Layton both being regularly promoted by Nintendo as if they are first parties). Marvelous would make a lot of sense as a company to join for sure.

That said, it's not like every company that has a long history with Nintendo instantly gets a character. Sure, I do think that Joker was aided by ATLUS' intense-bordering-on-objectively-stupid dedication to Nintendo hardware (re: Jack Bros for the Virtual Boy), but let's not assume that is the main thing that got him in.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Yes. I'm thinking...

- Simon seems to be the most consistent third in Ultimate. If he had not been in the base game, many people would have predicted a Castlevania representative for the DLC. Bomberman and Monster Hunter were predictable as well, but they were only Assist Trophees.
Simon would be the expected choice.

- Even though Megami Tensei/Persona has its first 9 games on Nintendo consoles, appeared on NES, SNES, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBA, NDS, 3DS and Virtual Boy, it isn't Megami Tensei which is at the honor in Ultimate. Joker seems to be the Sakurai's choice of honors who, like most Famitsu readers in 2017, loved Persona 5.
Joker would be the choice of honors.

- Hero seems to be the "choice by history" thanks to the link of the series with Nintendo. There are even 4 heroes to represent Dragon Quest as a whole, which confirms that all the entire series history is important.
Hero would be the choice of Nintendo history.

- Even though Banjo-Kazooie is the most Nintendo-related character among the Microsoft rep, it doesn't mean that's what motivated this choice, since Banjo was first the choice of the community.
Banjo would be the ballot choice,

For my part, I think there will be a "choice of novelty" / "choice of the new gen". It's therefore likely that the last choice of character has another motivation, because all the choices could have different motivations. It's just a theory, but I think it can query, "If this character was to be chosen, what would be the main motivation ? Is that motivation different from other DLC? Does this motivation justify having this character in Ultimate?"...
Layton and Farmer would be another "choices by history".

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yes. I'm thinking...

- Simon seems to be the most consistent third in Ultimate. If he had not been in the base game, many people would have predicted a Castlevania representative for the DLC. Bomberman and Monster Hunter were predictable as well, but they were only Assist Trophees.
Simon would be the expected choice.

- Even though Megami Tensei/Persona has its first 9 games on Nintendo consoles, appeared on NES, SNES, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBA, NDS, 3DS and Virtual Boy, it isn't Megami Tensei which is at the honor in Ultimate. Joker seems to be the Sakurai's choice of honors who, like most Famitsu readers in 2017, loved Persona 5.
Joker would be the choice of honors.

- Hero seems to be the "choice by history" thanks to the link of the series with Nintendo. There are even 4 heroes to represent Dragon Quest as a whole, which confirms that all the entire series history is important.
Hero would be the choice of Nintendo history.

- Even though Banjo-Kazooie is the most Nintendo-related character among the Microsoft rep, it doesn't mean that's what motivated this choice, since Banjo was first the choice of the community.
Banjo would be the ballot choice,

For my part, I think there will be a "choice of novelty" / "choice of the new gen". It's therefore likely that the last choice of character has another motivation, because all the choices could have different motivations. It's just a theory, but I think it can query, "If this character was to be chosen, what would be the main motivation ? Is that motivation different from other DLC? Does this motivation justify having this character in Ultimate?"...
Layton and Farmer would be another "choices by history".
Interesting perspective. That said, even if Joker and Hero do have honours and legacies, I do feel like they're also both fairly modern characters (given Hero's default form still being Eleven) and I wouldn't personally bet on someone who is specifically "choice of new gen." Motivation-focused questions are interesting though...

Also, new Rune Factory trailer! It shows... silhouettes of the protagonists! Better then nothing, I suppose.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Also, new Rune Factory trailer! It shows... silhouettes of the protagonists! Better then nothing, I suppose.
The silhouettes look like Pokémon trainers, especially after the concept art of monsters :S

amageish

Smash Master
The silhouettes look like Pokémon trainers, especially after the concept art of monsters :S
Heh. They do seem to have the hats + toolbelts thing going on for sure, at least. I am interested in seeing how they look in their entirety...

It is interesting they started with a focus on the monsters over the NPCs too.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Popularity ranking according to Google Trends
Intro - There are comparisons of third-party series based from Google searches, although the result isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Care about something and discover something contribute to making popular this thing. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture. If someone wants to know the trends of a character or a series, then Google Trends is the best possible tool (or the least worst) to measure trends, although the method is less effective about series that are dead (like Space Invaders for example).

In the world
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Touhou Project > The Elder Scrolls / Devil May Cry > Fire Emblem > Persona > Cuphead / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Dynasty Warriors > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Dragon Quest > Professor Layton > Yakuza > SoulCalibur > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Ys > Space Invaders / Suikoden > Disgaea / Guilty Gear > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Raving Rabbids > Bubble Bobble > Mystery Dungeon > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Samurai Shodown > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Sakura Wars > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Street Gangs > Art of Fighting

In Japan
Fire Emblem > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Touhou Project > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Yakuza > Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Professor Layton > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters / Guilty Gear / Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer > SimCity > Bayonetta / Ys > Sakura Wars > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / Samurai Shodown / DOOM / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Cuphead > Space Invaders > Ganbare Goemon > The Elder Scrolls > Puzzle Bobble > No More Heroes > Shantae / Street Gangs > Raving Rabbids > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie / Art of Fighting.

Mixed
Final Fantasy > Monster Hunter > Metal Gear > Fire Emblem > Tales of > Megaman > Tekken > Persona > Assassin's Creed / Dragon Quest / Street Fighter > UNDERTALE > Sonic > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Harvest Moon > Pac-Man > Bomberman > Project Zero > Castlevania > Cuphead > Bayonetta > Raving Rabbids > Samurai Shodown > Virtua Fighter > The Tower of Druaga > Shovel Knight > Ganbare Goemon > Banjo-Kazooie > Art of Fighting

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Popularity according to Google Trends
Google Trends is a measure of popularity, although this isn't enough and that comparison criteria aren't always fair. It can't be completely representative.

In the World
Final Fantasy
> Sonic / Resident Evil > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > UNDERTALE > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Rayman > Ninja Gaiden > Professor Layton / Ace Attorney > Project Zero > Bayonetta / Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Babylonian Castle Saga.
Harvest Moon > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.
If Harvest Moon would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 15/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 10/13 of third-party series having a Fighter.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Street Fighter > Harvest Moon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Bomberman > Castlevania > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Babylonian Castle Saga.
Harvest Moon > The King of Fighters > Bayonetta > Sonic > Castlevania > Pac-Man > Banjo-Kazooie.
If Harvest Moon would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 10/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 7/13 of third-party series having a Fighter.
Interesting chart! I am kind of surprised the Harvest Moon is that high up (even though it's not that high all things considered), though I don't know how much it helps Farmer's odds haha. It really feels like there are so many factors that influences the choice of a Smash character that it's hard to recreate them.

I'm hoping for Harvest Moon to get in especially now since we're getting more dlc now.
Welcome aboard! For fun, let's have an intro question: What's your favourite Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons game?

Ornl

Smash Ace
Interesting chart! I am kind of surprised the Harvest Moon is that high up (even though it's not that high all things considered), though I don't know how much it helps Farmer's odds haha. It really feels like there are so many factors that influences the choice of a Smash character that it's hard to recreate them.
As were Persona, Dragon Quest and The King of Fighters, the other series whose original companies aren't already represented, neither Western nor cross-media are:
In the world: Souls > Tomb Raider > Harvest Moon > Professor Layton > Disgaea > Ōkami > NieR > No More Heroes.
In Japan: Disgaea > Harvest Moon > NieR > Professor Layton > Ōkami > Souls > Tomb Raider > No More Heroes.
- Tomb Raider and NieR form opposites depending on the location.
- According to this selective popularity comparison, Harvest Moon would be at the top. Harvest Moon > Professor Layton. It's like with DOOM > Crash, it turns out that the trends don't follow the sales averages, which means they aren't the only meaning of popularity.

Update top 15 Most wanted games according to Nintendo DREAM readers
- Oct 2019 : Rune Factory 5 7th (9.4%), Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 9th (7.9%).
- Sept 2019 : Story of Seasons (new work) 8th (7.8%), Rune Factory 4 9th (5.2%), Rune Factory 5 13th (3.7%).

Top 30 Most wanted games according to Famitsu readers
- Sept 8 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 22th, Rune Factory 5 27th.
- Sept 1 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 23th, Rune Factory 5 25th.
- Aug 25 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 24th, Rune Factory 5 26th.
- Aug 11 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 24th, Rune Factory 5 26th.
- Aug 4 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 19th, Rune Factory 5 25th.
- July 28 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 17th, Rune Factory 5 25th.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
CONCEPTS FROM DEVIANTART

SMASH Custom Newcomer ~ Pete! (link)
Sgrigger03 said:
NAME: Pete
Game: Harvest Moon, Super Nintendo
Year: 1996

Melee Attacks:
-Basic Combo: two Sickle swipes followed by driving hoe into opponent. Repeated pressing pulls out shears and uses them on opponent.
-Strong Attacks:
--Over Tilt: picks up rock and tosses it forward (same range as Villager’s smash and same animation time but less launch rate of course)
--Up Tilt: thrusts upward with pitchfork
--Down Tilt: kicks forward as in seasonal dances
-Dash Attack: Runs forward and tosses a log in front of him as if tripped
-Over Smash: Cleave with Axe (launch rate & Arc based on tool level and Charge)
-Up Smash: Super Sickle swing upward for arc based on tool level
-Down Smash: Pulls out watering can and pushes waters back to front causing foes to slip even if they are rolling (radius increases with tool level but it upgrades fast)

Air Attacks:
-Neutral: mid air cartwheel
-Forward: Swings Hammer in large lobbing arc
-Backward: Swing Axe wildly
-Upward: Swings corn upward (similar to Villager)
-Downward: Pulls out a log and thrusts it downward. If it connects to the ground, it stays there as a post and barrier

Grab Attacks: Uses Fishing Line for grabs
Bludgeon: cuts at opponent with clippers repeatedly
Forward Throw: fishing line cast forward
Backward Throw: does fishing line cast whipping them backward
Upward Throw: toss upward with Pitchfork
Downward Slam: shoves foe down and then slam hoe into them.

SPECIALS
B: Sickle 360-Spin (increaseable duration
Side B: Farming Hoe debris explosion (increases range at higher levels)
Up B: Teleporting Stone (doesn’t level)
Down B: Hammer Smash (high damage to shields) (increased damage and shockwave at high levels)
Final: makes crops entangle enemies with Seed and watering can then reaps them with sickle
Gimmick: Using each Tool causes the items to level to Silver and up to gold for more launch power and damage with a brief charge. This is match long and doesn’t reset on falls or KOs. Level up to two times and occur for every 15 uses for the Axe, Hammer, and Sickle. Hoe upgrades in 10 uses and Watering Can levels after 6 uses.

Speed & Weight:
Same as Villager

ANIMATIONS
Up Taunt:
Eats a row of Rice Paddies, pats belly, and lets out a satisfied exhale
Side Taunt: Rings bell like for the cows and horses
Down Taunt: Plants seeds into the ground and waters them
Victory Animations: Plays Festival Dance music from Harvest Moon 64
1) Dances as if for the Spring festival: Hop, hop, Left spin, hop hop, and right spin, hop hop, pose with hand aloft (as from Harvest Moon 64)
2) Semi-in-place Harvest Festival Dance (as from Hero of Leaf Valley)
3) Very shortened and more masculine version of Selena’s Dance from Harvest Moon Animal Parade
Defeat Mood Claps happily for the winners
Entry Rides in on horse and jumps off
Standing Hold Sickle at ready in front with other hand reaching toward his pack for any other necessary gear
Idle Animation Drinks beer, gets dizzy, and stumbles forward
Jump & Height Same as Villager
Ducking Bends over as if picking weeds or vegtables
Swimming arms forward and kicking with a smiley in a dialogue box above head.
Distressed Swimmer same, but he’s moving slower and the smiley is instead a sad face
Drowning disappears underwater and only his hat remains
Stamina Knockout (nothing special here)

Costumes x8
1) Harvest Moon 64 Default
Blue with yellow pack and brim of hat
2) Original Appearance: Sky Blue with orange pack and brim of hat
3) Frantic Farming Default: Blonde with Green Overalls and Orange pack
4) Light of Hope Appearance Overalls, white T-shirt, no hat, slightly taller but no hit-box changes
5) Wedding Attire: All white clothes, no hat, and black pack
6) Angela As from Animal Parade
7) Molly As from Animal Parade
8) Bluebell as from Tale of Two Towns

Jack Smash Bros. Moveset Predictions (link)
Sgrigger03 said:
Special Moves
*Standard: Fertiliser
Jack gets out his fertiliser that he pours fertilising material out of until it runs out.
*Side: Horse
Jack hops onto his horse and rides around the stage for a bit, damaging any opponents that he and his horse run into.
*Up: Rainbow
A rainbow appears and pulls Jack up a limited distance.
*Down: Harvest
This move has four stages to it. First Jack will plant a seed, then Jack claps as the top of the vegetable (random each time) will pop out, then Jack will dig out the vegetable and place it in his backpack, then the last stage has Jack throwing the vegetable onto an opponent.

For a Final Smash, Jack could use something called Animal Parade. The way it works is by having Jack blow a whistle, followed a gate appears that various farm animals get let out of running across the stage into another gate, of which deal massive damage to anyone they collide with/run into.

For basic attacks, Jack can make use of a cowbell, a brush, a piece of lumber, and wool shears. For smash attacks, he can make use of an axe, his hoe, and his hammer. For aerial attacks, he can make use of bird seeds, his rucksack, a bug net, a milker, and a basket. For grabbing opponents, Jack can reel them in with his fishing rod, followed by pummeling them with a frying pan. For a dash attack, he can swing forward his sickle

For idle animations, one can have Jack yawning, and another can have him adjusting his hat.

For taunts (I have no specific way of the input to say for sure):
*One wear Jack pops out a blue feather and smiles.
*One where Jack does the victory dance once when accomplishing a task in his games.
*One where Jack pretends to faint and fall over.

For Palette Swaps, half of them can be an alternate skin in a similar fashion to what Olimar has, in Jack's case being his female counterpart Sara. Each of their palette swaps get themselves based off other characters of the same gender from throughout the Harvest Moon franchise.

When Kirby copies Jack, he'd be wearing Jack’s hat.

For victory poses, one can have Jack chasing his puppy around, one can have him popping a vegetable out of the ground whilst smiling, and another can have him feeding chickens with bird seeds.

For a victory theme, I guess the best choice would be using a portion of the opening theme from Jack's game of origin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Y8iyvHr5I&app=desktop

By Frobie-Mangaka (link)
B: Veggie pull
Up B: Chiken lift Jack grabs a chicken and it takes him up a little bit
Down b: Bucket hide
Side B: With Bucket hide: Bucket slide.
Side B: Without Bucket hide: Rake strike
Final Smash: Stampede

amageish

Smash Master
As were Persona, Dragon Quest and The King of Fighters, the other series whose original companies aren't already represented, neither Western nor cross-media are:
In the world: Souls > Tomb Raider > Harvest Moon > Professor Layton > Disgaea > Ōkami > NieR > No More Heroes.
In Japan: Disgaea > Harvest Moon > NieR > Professor Layton > Ōkami > Souls > Tomb Raider > No More Heroes.
- Tomb Raider and NieR form opposites depending on the location.
- According to this selective popularity comparison, Harvest Moon would be at the top. Harvest Moon > Professor Layton. It's like with DOOM > Crash, it turns out that the trends don't follow the sales averages, which means they aren't the only meaning of popularity.
Interesting! I am always kind of surprised with how big Harvest Moon is haha. I will say that Terry does make feel like Farmer is the most likely Marvelous rep, as while it certainly isn't the series Marvelous has been spending the most money advertising, it seems that doesn't necessarily matter...

With the news that Sakurai will seemingly continue DLC until Nintendo tells him to stop, I feel like the doors are wide open and Farmer is definitely possible. Not necessarily super likely, but definitely one of the more notable dark horses of Smash.

Those are some cool movesets too. I like how they're all somewhat different from each other! Lots of potential here...

Also, Rune Factory 4 has a special edition confirmed! The regular version is also apparently going to be 40 USD, which is sweet.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So with the new that more DLC is incoming and also given that Goemon and Sans got a Mii costume, I am fully expecting Story of Seasons/Rune Factory to show up in some way. Like not even being ironic at this point. I really think we will at the very least get a Mii costume at some point down the line, if nothing else.

amageish

Smash Master
So with the new that more DLC is incoming and also given that Goemon and Sans got a Mii costume, I am fully expecting Story of Seasons/Rune Factory to show up in some way. Like not even being ironic at this point. I really think we will at the very least get a Mii costume at some point down the line, if nothing else.
Fair! I mean, honestly, what I've found so interesting about Farmer is that they check so many of the likeliness boxes (connection to Nintendo, long history, demonstrated impact on the gaming industry, etc.) while also seeming very unlikely.

That said, with SNK in, I do feel like Marvelous getting some sort of inclusion in Smash as a company, be it a Mii Costume or a fighter...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Haven't ever stepped in here before, but might as well do it now and say i support! I love the old Harvest Moon series, Pete (or "The Farmer") might actually be an interesting fighter.

Trying my hand at making a moveset for him right now, I think it would cool if he used a pitchfork for a lot of his normal moves, he could kind of be a 'spear' user in a way.

amageish

Smash Master
Haven't ever stepped in here before, but might as well do it now and say i support! I love the old Harvest Moon series, Pete (or "The Farmer") might actually be an interesting fighter.

Trying my hand at making a moveset for him right now, I think it would cool if he used a pitchfork for a lot of his normal moves, he could kind of be a 'spear' user in a way.
Welcome to this thread! As I've been trying to make an intro question to everyone new to this thread: What's your favourite Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon game?

I feel like they'd be a trick primarily, but I do like the idea of a spear user in general. Smash Brothers is really missing such a basic archetype...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Welcome to this thread! As I've been trying to make an intro question to everyone new to this thread: What's your favourite Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon game?

I feel like they'd be a trick primarily, but I do like the idea of a spear user in general. Smash Brothers is really missing such a basic archetype...
I think my favorite is Tree of Tranquility, I don’t know if it’s the “best” but I spent the most time with that one. I also played a lot of Harvest Moon DS and have a soft spot for 64 as it was the first I ever saw of the series.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
HM64 was always my favorite. And also my first. I just always found it so charming but also just difficult enough if you’re trying for a perfect (or at least close to perfect) playthrough. And I loved collecting the photos throughout the game.

amageish

Smash Master
I think my favorite is Tree of Tranquility, I don’t know if it’s the “best” but I spent the most time with that one. I also played a lot of Harvest Moon DS and have a soft spot for 64 as it was the first I ever saw of the series.
That's a unique choice! It's definitely a fun game and I can imagine that it would be the "best" game if you want a slightly richer story, by Harvest Moon standards. 64 and DS are also both great, though DS having the inconsistently functional copies does hurt it.

HM64 was always my favorite. And also my first. I just always found it so charming but also just difficult enough if you’re trying for a perfect (or at least close to perfect) playthrough. And I loved collecting the photos throughout the game.
That is a very good choice too! It's a classic and definitely a lot of fun.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Not my favorite choice, but with a important specificity: Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

sos mario.png

amageish

Smash Master
Not my favorite choice, but with a important specificity: Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

View attachment 238950
Ahhhhhh, good choice for this specific discussion haha. Don't forget the original Story of Seasons also had Mario crop power-ups~!

Also, Natsume's continued quest to do weird things with the Harvest Moon name is continuing and their Overcooked knock-off has been given an October release date.

It looks... like a video game? I'm kind of surprised Natsume hasn't teamed up with one of the many competent indie devs who have been making good farming sims. With the combined power of the Harvest Moon name and an actual good video game, things could turn out well for them.

Ornl

Smash Ace
- Nov 2019 : Rune Factory 5 6th (11.1%), Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 7th (9.2%), Story of Seasons (new work) 10th (5.4%).
- Oct 2019 : Rune Factory 5 7th (9.4%), Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 9th (7.9%).

Update top 30 Most wanted games according to Famitsu readers
- Oct 20 2019 : Rune Factory 5 23th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 28th.
- Oct 13 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 21th, Rune Factory 5 24th.
- Oct 8 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 22th, Rune Factory 5 27th.
- Sept 29 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 21th, Rune Factory 5 22th.
- Sept 22 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 27th.
- Sept 15 2019 : Rune Factory 5 25th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 27th.
- Sept 8 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 22th, Rune Factory 5 27th.
- Sept 1 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 23th, Rune Factory 5 25th.
- Aug 25 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 24th, Rune Factory 5 26th.
- Aug 11 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 24th, Rune Factory 5 26th.
- Aug 4 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 19th, Rune Factory 5 25th.
- July 28 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 17th, Rune Factory 5 25th.

Top 15 Most wanted Switch games according to Famitsu readers
- Oct. 10rd to 16th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 8th.
- Oct. 3rd to 9th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 8th.
- Sept. 26h to Oct. 2nd 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 8th, Rune Factory 5 9th.
- Sept. 19th to 25th 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 8th, Rune Factory 5 10th.
- Sept. 12th to 18th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 9th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 10th.
- Sept. 5th to 11th 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 11th, Rune Factory 5 12th.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
- Nov 2019 : Rune Factory 5 6th (11.1%), Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 7th (9.2%), Story of Seasons (new work) 10th (5.4%).

Update top 30 Most wanted games according to Famitsu readers
- Sept 29 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 21th, Rune Factory 5 22th.
- Sept 15 2019 : Rune Factory 5 25th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 27th.

Top 15 Most wanted Switch games according to Famitsu readers
- Sept. 19th to 25th 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 8th, Rune Factory 5 10th.
- Sept. 12th to 18th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 9th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 10th.
- Sept. 5th to 11th 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 11th, Rune Factory 5 12th.
That's a lot of hype for RF5, given how little we know about it... Interesting stats!

Continuing my desperate attempts to ask questions to keep this thread active, I'm wondering: What are everyone's favourite non-Marvelous farming simulators?

Personally, I obviously love Stardew Valley, but also grew a fondness for a RPG maker PC game called World's Dawn. It was a lot of fun.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That's a lot of hype for RF5, given how little we know about it... Interesting stats!

Continuing my desperate attempts to ask questions to keep this thread active, I'm wondering: What are everyone's favourite non-Marvelous farming simulators?

Personally, I obviously love Stardew Valley, but also grew a fondness for a RPG maker PC game called World's Dawn. It was a lot of fun.
Stardew Valley is great, but I also love survival games with farming aspects such as Don’t Starve or RimWorld. Farming would seem like such a mundane task in a game, but something about always appeals to me.

Also I’m sure everyone is aware of the Daemon X Machina spirits, hopefully it means Marvelous! has their foot in the door for DLC.

amageish

Smash Master
Stardew Valley is great, but I also love survival games with farming aspects such as Don’t Starve or RimWorld. Farming would seem like such a mundane task in a game, but something about always appeals to me.

Also I’m sure everyone is aware of the Daemon X Machina spirits, hopefully it means Marvelous! has their foot in the door for DLC.
Ooo, unconventional choice! I do also enjoy the farming aspects in non-farming simulators.

Yes, the Marvelous spirits are certainly a good sign for future DLC prospects. Koei-Techno is currently the other big Japanese company with spirits and no character, though their IP is co-owned by Nintendo versus Marvelous' game just being localized by Nintendo...

Also, the Friends of Mineral Town remake is coming out in Japan very soon! It's been revealed to have this snazzy reversible cover.

Ornl

Smash Ace
In less than a week, Farmer will be evaluated in the Rate Their Chances topic . Here is what I want to share. Will you have any other advantages to add or important corrections of my English ?

Farmer (Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon and Rune Factory)

Legitimacy

View attachment 246913
- The series was born on Nintendo, with 5 first games on Nintendo.
- The series have 31 exclusive games at Nintendo. 5 on Switch.
Marvelous Series: 18 exclusive games at Nintendo. 1 on Switch. Natsume series: 2 exclusive games at Nintendo. 1 other on Switch. Rune Factory: 7 exclusive games at Nintendo. 2 on Switch. Other spin-offs: 4 exclusive games at Nintendo. 1 on Switch.
- There are 3 Mario power up in Story of Seasons (2014-2015) ; 4 Mario Costumes in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (2016-2017).
- There is additional Daemon X Machina (Marvelous) content in Ultimate. This choice seems very strange to me. There are really many other series that could have Spirits instead of Daemon X Machina. I dont' understand :S

View attachment 246915
- Farmer can have a female alt, unlike all the previous third party Fighters.
- Farmer can have an original gameplay, invoking plants and animals, with a new potential of fun.
- Like Joker, Hero (without leak) and Terry, Farmer is "never saw it coming".

The series and Japanese magazines
Intro - There are information based on the Nintendo DREAM and Famitsu magazines, although they aren't completely representative. In Japan, Nintendo DREAM is the largest Nintendo magazine, and Famitsu is the largest video game magazine, and they are the most representative of the communities of targeted players. If someone wants to know the japan trends of a character or a series, then these magazines are possible tool to measure the importance.
With Famitsu's polls, for example, it would have been easy to predict Persona 5 and Dragon Quest series.
View attachment 246918
Nintendo DREAM is a Nintendo video game magazine published in Japan. There are several recurring chapters:
- Animal Crossing: mail and artisanal creations of readers,
- Mario: community and promotion space about Mario,
- Zelda: community and folder space about Zelda,
- Kirby: community space and products about Kirby,
- Fire Emblem: community space about Fire Emblem,
- Mother: community space about Mother,
- Pokémon: information about Pokémon,
- Capcomania: information about Capcom,
- Sega & Friends: information about Sega,
- KONAMI channel: information about KONAMI with corner about Power Pro series,
- Bandai Namco Museum: information about Bamco,

- Macanavi Marvelous AQL Navigation: information about Marvelous and comics about Rune Factory series,
- Level 5 Revolution: information about Level 5 and corner by Takuzo Nagano (designer).
- Jan 2020 : Rune Factory 5 4th (6.9%), Story of Seasons (new work) 7th (5.2%).
-
Dec 2019 : Rune Factory 5 8th (7.9%), Story of Seasons (new work) 15th (2.9%).
-
Nov 2019 : Rune Factory 5 6th (11.1%), Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 7th (9.2%), Story of Seasons (new work) 10th (5.4%).

****4 wishes in one top 15****
- Nov 24 2019 : Rune Factory 5 16th.
-
Nov 17 2019 : Rune Factory 5 10th.
- Nov 10 2019 : Rune Factory 5 17th.

- Nov 3 2019 : Rune Factory 5 14th.
- Oct 27 2019 : Rune Factory 5 25th.
- Oct 20 2019 : Rune Factory 5 23th, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 28th.
- Oct 13 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 21th, Rune Factory 5 24th.
- Oct 8 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 22th, Rune Factory 5 27th.
- Nov. 7th to 13th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 6th.
- Oct. 31st to Nov. 6th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 5th.
- Oct. 24th to 30th 2019 :
Rune Factory 5 7th.
- Oct. 17th to 23th 2019 :
Rune Factory 5 5th.
- Oct. 10th to 16th 2019 :
Rune Factory 5 8th.
- Oct. 3rd to 9th 2019 : Rune Factory 5 8th.
- Sept. 26th to Oct. 2nd 2019 : Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town 8th, Rune Factory 5 9th.

Popularity ranking according to Google Trends
Intro - There are comparisons of third-party series based from Google searches, although the result isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Care about something and discover something contribute to making popular this thing. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture. If someone wants to know the trends of a character or a series, then Google Trends is the best possible tool (or the least worst) to measure trends, although the method is less effective about series that are dead (like Space Invaders for example).
With Google Trends, it would have been easy to predict SMT/Persona, Dragon Quest and, to a lesser extent, The King of Fighters.

Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Touhou Project > The Elder Scrolls / Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Dynasty Warriors > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Yakuza > SoulCalibur > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Ys > Space Invaders / Suikoden > Disgaea / Guilty Gear > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Raving Rabbids > Bubble Bobble > Mystery Dungeon > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Samurai Shodown > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Sakura Wars > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Street Gangs > Art of Fighting.
Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Touhou Project > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Yakuza > Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Professor Layton > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters / Guilty Gear / Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer > SimCity > Bayonetta / Ys > Sakura Wars > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / Samurai Shodown / DOOM / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Space Invaders > Ganbare Goemon > The Elder Scrolls > Puzzle Bobble > No More Heroes > Shantae / Street Gangs > Raving Rabbids > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie / Art of Fighting.
Final Fantasy > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Resident Evil > Kingdom Hearts
> Metal Gear > Yo-kai Watch
> Tales / Touhou Project
> Megaman > Tekken > Persona > Street Fighter
> UNDERTALE > Dynasty Warriors
> Sonic > Digimon > Devil May Cry > Yakuza > Tamagotchi > ***Harvest Moon***
> The King of Fighters / Pac-Man > SimCity > Souls > Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Professor Layton > Tomb Raider / Puyo Puyo / Disgaea / Suikoden
> Project Zero / Bomberman > Castlevania / Guilty Gear > Ys > Dead or Alive > NieR
> Bayonetta / Mystery Dungeon / SoulCalibur > Ōkami > Ninja Gaiden > Sakura Wars > Space Invaders > Momotaro Dentetsu
Samurai Shodown > Virtua Fighter > The Tower of Druaga / Bubble Bobble
> Shovel Knight > Ganbare Goemon / No More Heroes > Katamari
> Banjo-Kazooie > Shantae > The Art of Fighting
Several minor series won't have a Fighter. One of the biggest losing companies is Konami, who doesn't have Bomberman, Goemon, Frogger... as Fighters. This mini-top confronts the 3 "minor series" Ace Attorney, Professor Layton and Harvest Moon to determine, according to Google Trends, which would be more legitimate than Bomberman, already represented with an Assist Trophee.
- All the world : Bomberman 43, Harvest Moon 42, Professor Layton 24, Ace Attorney 15. This is almost equal for Harvest Moon.
- Harvest Moon is top 1 in Austria, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Canada, U.S.A, Australia, New Zealand, China, Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Harvest Moon is top 2 after Ace Attorney in Japan.
- Harvest Moon is top 2 after Professor Layton in United Kingdoms, Ireland.
- Harvest Moon is top 2 after Bomberman in Sud America (Brasil, Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela...) and India.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
In less than a week, Farmer will be evaluated in the Rate Their Chances topic . Here is what I want to share. Will you have any other advantages to add or important corrections of my English ?
I'm kind of surprised that Farmer got into the Rate Their Chances thread, but I also don't really check into non-character-support threads all that often, so I don't know how the nomination process works. Either way, I'll be sure to read it and hopefully not be heartbroken!

Anyway, I like your points! Thanks for putting them together and good empirical data collection! I definitely hadn't considered checking things like most-wanted Famitsu games before seeing your posts where you do that.

I'd add in the fact that Nintendo of Europe typically publishes Story of Seasons games in that region. I also don't know if the Natsume series is worth mentioning at all, as I assume they would exclusively be giving the Bokujō Monogatari series representation. Also grammatically, saying "Farmer can have a female alt, unlike most third party Fighters" would be better because otherwise it sounds like farmer is the only character who could have gendered alternates.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Thank you very much :) I have trouble finding sources between Nintendo of Europa and the Story of Seasons, but I found that the series was
relatively, popular in Austria, Germany, Sweden and Norway.

Top Bottom