• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fans of Smash VS Fans of Nintendo IP's

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I wonder... how do fans of Super Smash Bros. react or treat a certain Nintendo(or Otherwise) IP compare to Fans of the IP's source material?

Like, how the Smash Community sees and treats Kirby, in comparison to fans of Kirby's actual games?

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
It is a good question. I think that the fans of a given property are generally going to have greater appreciation for its material in any place, be it Smash Bros., or the source games. On the other hand, there is more room to disappoint fans than there is for those who only tangentially are familiar with the subject property. For example, some may be disappointed that Ganondorf's moveset in Smash Bros. bears minimal reference to his canonical abilities, but it goes without saying that those who are most disappointed will be those who are the most familiar with him from his home series. I am more in favor of movesets that embody character rather than canon, but I am hardly phased. How could I be? I am not a Legend of Zelda fan.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think like Doc Monocle Doc Monocle said, people who are mainly fans of the respective franchises that are in Smash have a deeper passion and love for those IPs than most Smash fans do. Like, there are a lot of people who are big fans of a franchise that would whether see a new title for it instead of a character from that franchise getting into Smash especially if that franchise has been inactive for years. Like, I would whether have a new Ganbare Goemon game than having Goemon as a newcomer in Smash since we Goemon fans haven't received a new title since 2005 on the DS. I'm dying to see a new Goemon game since it's my favorite video game franchise of all time.

Top Bottom