• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fan made rules for new characters that have been broken time and time again

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Only Nintendo characters allowed

No more than two third-party characters allowed

Assist Trophies can't become playable characters later

No fighting game characters

Characters must have been in Nintendo consoles

No guns allowed

Stage Hazards and bosses can't be characters later on
Big characters can't be shrunk

Only one character per third-party franchise

What's gonna be next?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You forgot "Moveset limited to conventional Smash inputs; no control-stick-twirling maneuvers".

(This is Ryu again.)

D

Deleted member

Characters must have been in Nintendo consoles
I am A-OK with the idea of this rule being broken in a limited quantity. But technically speaking there is one point of argument people can make for Cloud not breaking this rule.

And that's that while FF7 specifically has never been on a Nintendo System, plenty of other Final Fantasy games have and Cloud is a Final Fantasy Character overall.

Granted for all we know Sakurai's reasoning could have been "yeah he would break the "has to have been on Nintendo" rule. But who cares? I want to put him in the game" so who really knows at the end of the day.

Anyway, the next fan-made rule to go could very well be the "no Indie characters" rule. But one rule (that's not entirely fan-made I'll admit) that I don't see getting broken is the "no characters who didn't originate from a video game" rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Cloud actually appeared in Theatrhythm, but no one cares about Theatrhythm for 3DS. He also appeared in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories for the GBA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cloud actually appeared in Theatrhythm, but no one cares about Theatrhythm for 3DS. He also appeared in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories for the GBA.
True. I mean sure people like to say that it doesn't count because it's not a main game of the character in question, but that's yet another fan-made rule that probably doesn't have much weight behind it to be honest. Personally I think it was just a case of Sakurai wanted to add Cloud anyway and was willing to let the "nintendo appearances only" rule slide in this rare case. The appearances in Chain of Memories and Theatrhythm are so minor that Sakurai probably would have added Cloud anyway even if they weren't there.

Not that Sakurai has officially commented on the matter. But that would make sense to me.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Bayo doesn't break the rule about not using realistic looking guns imo, I'd love for it to be negated so that Leon S. Kennedy and Doomguy can join Smash, but from where we are, that one seems to be a real rule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom