• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Famitsu Magazine Gives Super Smash Bros. Brawl a Perfect Score

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
by PilotEvan

<p>As expected, Famitsu, one of the most popular and most celebrated video game news magazines in Japan, got their hands on Super Smash Bros. Brawl early. Their reviews have just recently been published:</p><blockquote><p>&quot;This time around even the 1P mode is massive. Adventure Mode will entertain you for quite a long time, and the story's presentation is excellent. In versus mode, the Final Smashes add more uncertainty to battles; you can have a wilder match than ever regardless of skill. Hats off to the ample control and sound options as well.&quot;<br />Score: 10</p><p>&quot;Final Smashes-one of the new elements to the game-dazzle, exhilarate, and heat up the battles more than ever. The content-rich 1P mode is aces, too. Movies and action in 'Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary' move at a good clip; I completely lost track of the time. Loved it!&quot;<br />Score: 10</p><p>&quot;Compelling presentation and gimmicks, plus dynamic and subtle character motions. You have GOT to see these over-the-top Final Smashes. Lots of versus stages, and the 1P mode is very fulfilling. A stage editor and the ability to browse detailed game data are also pluses.&quot;<br />Score: 10</p><p>&quot;The all-stars in this roundup bound across the screen with polish. The game comes complete with a mode that will suck you in even if you're by yourself, and more than enough hooks to stir up the collector within you. This is a supreme game that oozes superior technology, sensibility, and effort. Each play yields new discoveries, and each versus battle offers welcome doses of joy and dismay.&quot;<br />Score: 10</p></blockquote><p>A score of 40/40 is certainly nothing to shake a finger at; only 6 games before Brawl had received a perfect score in the magazine’s 22 year running time. Consider Famitsu’s knighting of its seventh Wonder of the (Video Game) World an indication to have good expectations for this game (not that many of you had much doubt to begin with).</p><p>Translation source: <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165462">1up.com</a></p>

quithas

Smash Cadet
Cant Wait

After hearing this I cant wat no longer. I was so happy when we had only 26 days to go now its like another 50 some to. Im gonna die waiting. Im tryin to keep my self entertained playin Melee till then but its so hard after seein how cool Brawl is gonna be.

warhead1988

Smash Rookie
As Expected! Smasg Bros Brawl Will Make Everyone Nuts As Soon As It Releases. I CANT WAIT!!! I Wish it was still coming out on Feb 10th though =[ oh well!!!

warhead1988

Smash Rookie
As Expected! Smash Bros Brawl Will Make Everyone Nuts As Soon As It Releases. I CANT WAIT!!! I Wish it was still coming out on Feb 10th though =[ oh well!!!

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
According to Wikipedia, the previous perfect-score games were (in chronological order):
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Soulcalibur
3. Vagrant Story
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
5. Nintendogs
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
wonderful-- just wonderful

but nintendogs? really? thats on par with smash brothers or any of those other games?

i find that really hard to believe

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
wonderful-- just wonderful

but nintendogs? really? thats on par with smash brothers or any of those other games?

i find that really hard to believe
Remember they are japanese.

Normally I don't I don't pay attention to review scores, they mean squat to me.
I know of a few reviewers that would rather not have scores in their reviews.

But with famitsu it's different, since they have four people review the game to get the score. Cool that Brawl got a perfect.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
According to Wikipedia, the previous perfect-score games were (in chronological order):
2. Soulcalibur
3. Vagrant Story
5. Nintendogs
6. Final Fantasy XII
Umm... Wind Waker got a perfect score? I call BS.

Smasher 102

Smash Cadet
2. Soulcalibur
3. Vagrant Story
5. Nintendogs
6. Final Fantasy XII
I would not expect less from this game:)

but WInd waker WTF?

I agree with all the others ex. nintendog which I have never played

whered did you find this list

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
What's with the dissing of Wind Waker? It was one of the most fun games for the gamecube, and also my favorite Zelda game. It was a new and cool adventure, full of more exploration than anything i've ever seen, includingTP. And I still don't see what the big deal with the cel-shading is. I really don't think that it could've been done another way.

Anyway, this just makes me want brawl even more. WHY???? because it's awesome

smasherboy13

Smash Cadet
I definitely agree about Wind Waker. It was a totally new and different game than other Zeldas, and it was one of the best. Who cares how it was animated? I'd like to see you whiners out there program and animate a groundbreaking Zelda game.

EDIT: And on topic, yes Brawl is great, we knew that already. Famitsu just proves it.

D

Deleted member

The score didn't surprise me. Brawl is obviously the best Smash yet, with the effort and the delays and the fan service, I wouldn't be surprised if it got perfect scores from other magazines and websites such as Game Informer or--Dare I say it--Nintendo Power*

*Seriously, Nintendo Power has only given out one perfect score in the past year, and that goes Metroid Prime 3; They never even gave Ocarina of Time or Super Mario Galaxy perfect scores

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
*grabs random Party Ball and opens, revealing a feast) LET THE CELEBRATION FOR THE REVIEWS OF BRAWL BEGIN!!!! (^^)v and yes Wind Waker was definately a good game... I want u haters to tell me one thing that was wrong with it...and no that whole "graphics" thing doesnt count because it did in fact make the game work

Azamgi

Smash Rookie
Yay! This can only lead to more good scores in the future. Maybe Brawl will become the next best game ever!

DQP

Smash Ace
pretty sweet

now i really can't wait to play brawl! i wonder if this pefect score trend wll follow...

MexicanJuice

Smash Cadet
The score didn't surprise me. Brawl is obviously the best Smash yet, with the effort and the delays and the fan service, I wouldn't be surprised if it got perfect scores from other magazines and websites such as Game Informer or--Dare I say it--Nintendo Power*

*Seriously, Nintendo Power has only given out one perfect score in the past year, and that goes Metroid Prime 3
You have a pretty good point there. They didn't even give TP a perfect score. It WASN'T perfect, but practically everyone else gave it perfect scores. In fact, as far as I can tell, Corruption was the only gave they've given a perfect score.:confused: This bodes VERY well for Brawl.:grin:

RaineXOmari

Smash Rookie
Oh yesh!!! :chuckle: i KNEW it could do it!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (srry I'm hyper) I wouldn't doubt almost everyone else gives it a perfect score as well. I mean, it just rocks. SO rocks!!!! SOOOOOOOO ROCKS!!!!

*and did I say it rocks?*

i cant wait to rub it in my friends' faces. They all said that they thought it would do terrible. BUT OHOHO, FAMITSU PERFECT SCORE BEBEH!!!!!!!!!
~:lick::chuckle:*does happy dance*:chuckle::lick:~

chillindude829

Smash Master
Any Magazine that doesn't give this game a perfect score shouldn't call themselves reviewers.
LOL yeah, because you've extensively played the game and know it's perfection, right?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brawl will be sweet too, but you haven't played it yet, how can you make such ridiculous claims?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
With all the new stuff added to the game its no surprise to me that it got a perfect score. How much tourney players will appreciate the game is still uncertain though.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
What's with the dissing of Wind Waker? It was one of the most fun games for the gamecube, and also my favorite Zelda game. It was a new and cool adventure, full of more exploration than anything i've ever seen, includingTP. And I still don't see what the big deal with the cel-shading is. I really don't think that it could've been done another way.

Anyway, this just makes me want brawl even more. WHY???? because it's awesome
I definitely agree about Wind Waker. It was a totally new and different game than other Zeldas, and it was one of the best. Who cares how it was animated? I'd like to see you whiners out there program and animate a groundbreaking Zelda game.

EDIT: And on topic, yes Brawl is great, we knew that already. Famitsu just proves it.
*grabs random Party Ball and opens, revealing a feast) LET THE CELEBRATION FOR THE REVIEWS OF BRAWL BEGIN!!!! (^^)v and yes Wind Waker was definately a good game... I want u haters to tell me one thing that was wrong with it...and no that whole "graphics" thing doesnt count because it did in fact make the game work

You all are definitely right about Wind Waker, however, I would go a step further by stating that not only was the cel-shading "not bad," it was great! The style really made the game for me, and the wide open feeling of exploration was, and in some ways still is unparalleled. I finished Twilight Princess not long ago, and while I fell in love with the characters, and there were more dungeons in it, I still ended up thinking that I liked WW just a bit more. They're quite different, so it doesn't bother me at all if someone likes TP better, but not if they hate WW for no reason. It's probably my favorite Zelda, though Link's Awakening is right up there as well. Anyway CS Link for Brawl!

On topic; yeah, I'm just curious to see if IGN will give it a perfect score. They seem to have a small grudge against Smash because they suck at it. I wonder if it'll beat out Mario Galaxy as "best scored game ever" across the net.

(Seriously, how could you hate on Wind Waker? It's so magical and wonderful. You just have to enjoy living in the world. Link is so expressive and interesting, and the gameplay is liquidy-smooth.) ...Oh well

PK.STARS*

Smash Rookie
I’m love smashbros and I’m happy it got a perfect score.

But there are some facts to consider about the score.

famitsu has been accused to give higher scores for advertising reasons.

Though i'm not saying this game has been effected by that.

Then again. Smash bros/ nintendo haters would use this fact to do useless flaming...

also, not everyone will like this game. some see this game series as only "nintendo fan service" and "nothing compared to other fighting games".

However those people don't see the unique techniques and skills this game delivers.

smash bros IS one of the greatest fighting game series of all time.

Then again, would the game series be as successful and loved as it is today… without Nintendo character?

some people say that this game is overrated and is floating on a cloud of fanboyism.

sorry if i sound unreasonable and also for my constant spacing . but this question is like me up at night. :laugh:

courte

Smash Lord
those who insult wind waker's look; i happen to know the reason for this

when Halo came out, Master chief would appear in your dreams, when in reality he was invading your soul. He would then plug a few slugs in your inner-child, and before the limp version of your former self explodes... he does a barrel roll out of your body, roundhouse kicking your brain so that you forget the dream.

Chikara

Smash Rookie
So is the final smash an item or does it just appear, even if you have items off?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Well, at least we know that the single player will be good. We now have to find out how balanced the game is (which could take years).

And to everyone who thinks people are hating on WW because of the graphics? Dude, the sailing across empty ocean is what killed the game. And did I mention the end of the game where you need to find the map to the map to find each piece of the triforce, costing thousands of rupees to translate those maps? That really killed it for me. No game should come up with such a outlandish fetch quest.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The only thing that ever held the Smash Bros. series score back was single player. Now that Sakurai has devoted so much effort to make it replayable, cooperative and very long...it's no surprise to me that it got a 40 from Famitsu.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
He ment japanese like the weird and often cutsey stuff like Nintendogs.

On topic: I've been defending SSBB in my Wii club on 1up.com from the other members who think it's overrated and overhyped, but now with this I can shut all those nay-sayers up for good!

:3

khaijiao

Smash Rookie
Umm... Wind Waker got a perfect score? I call BS.
wtf? Wind Waker was the best zelda game ever. Everyone always *****ing about the sailing aspect of the game without realizing that's the best part. I had so much fun sailing around from island to island, and all the little things you can do in between. Phantom Hourglass may be slightly less amazing because of the route system, but whatever, the oceans in zelda games are sweet.

Brainslug7

Smash Cadet
2. Soulcalibur
3. Vagrant Story
5. Nintendogs
6. Final Fantasy XII
I think all these games are definitally worthy of a perfect rating except nintendogs... i mean come on, nintendogs.... Ocarina of time was awsome for the n64 time, wind waker is probably my favorite zelda games. Ah this just makes me want brawl more..:dizzy:

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure a game is rated on how well it accomplished the goal it set out to do. Nintendogs was ment to be a virtual pet sim. In that respect it was the best game in that catagory created up to that point, therefore it gets a 10/10. Just because the style doesn't appeal to you (or me, for that matter), doesn't mean that it was a bad game.

PikaPwn94

Smash Rookie
YAY 4 Brawl! If they have 1, I am going to buy @ midnite release and beat subspace emisary w/ Pikachu!

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Nintendogs was a GREAT game for the time... before the mega-casual-companyes (see ubisoft) copied nintendo to hell...

Vagrant story was also a great game :O

GO SMASH!

ric3189

Smash Rookie
i wanted to practice on that game already. But thats too bad its until march 9th for us to get it! I hope nintendo make it come out a day or so earlier to make everyone surprise.

Top Bottom