• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) SSBB Tourney: Saturday, March 29th (READ RULES)

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
Team Results: (17 Teams of Two)

1st: Green Apples - DSF & Nezumi
2nd: DC-Rom - DC & Romeo
3rd: Sushi - Forward & Lucky
4th: Wario is Top Tier - Futile & Chaz
6th: Pup n' Suds - Lovage & The Great Leon
6th: Big Bang - Elv!s & Shin
8th: Element - Water & Fire
8th: Raep - MikeHAZE & Apex

Singles is underway with over 50 players!

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
This was stated from the beginning in this tournament's official first post, but just for future reference:

Anyone using a wireless controller at an FFA tournament does so at their own risk. If the controller becomes inoperable or malfunctions with another Wii, that game is forfeit. The only exception is if the opponent allows you to 'play on', in which case the forfeit cannot be made retroactive(you can't let someone keep going, and then if you lose, decide to use that disqualification from before).

Wireless controllers might be banned from future tournaments, especially if controller-related delays during matches becomes a persistent problem. With only four stations having to handle over fifty players within a five-hour period, we have to minimize delays wherever we can.

Jobe

Smash Cadet
I used to play smash primarily and now I mostly play 3rd strike at the FFA. I wish I knew about this tourny...I was there playing 3rd strike

jngshin

Smash Cadet
good tourney, MAJOR props to that coordinating guy holding the brackets and constantly yelling for players to come play, my voice would've been gone in the first 30 mins

things ive noticed this tourney:
spring and lip's stick seemed kinda useless, mostly used as projectiles. I had one game where I had the spring turned sideways near the edge, which lead to some interesting results, but for the most part everyone just used them as projectiles

franklin badge gimps falco like no other. cant even chaingrab cause the downthrow lasers reflect back and hit you lol

loveage's G&W was really impressive and fun to watch

LOTS of people use alternate control configurations, which surprised me. im not sure if they were bsticking, but the one person that i DID see change his control changed one of the jump buttons to shield. as for me, i think ill just remove the springs from the shoulder buttons

Elv!s

Smash Rookie
This was my first tourney ever, but even I could tell that it was extremely well-run. Like shin said, I want to give a huge thank-you to everyone that put it together.

my personal observations:
1) when you throw a star rod, the knockback owns
2) hot head offers unparalleled map control (except on maps like Halberd and probably Delfino?) especially in Brawl where being on a platform above your opponent is SO universally disadvantageous, it can change the outcome of a match.
3) Overall, even though items saved my *** in singles plenty of times, i'd still prefer them to not be in tourney play

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I also thought the tournament was well run. An enjoyable experience for my first real Smash tourney.

I was one of the only people there to play Sonic, and I was the one to bring the Wii for the big screen TV on the left. Sonic hates swords by the way.

I thought the items added some interesting things to the fight allowing a character with a disadvantagous match-up to at least have a fighting chance. And besides, it seems that for the most part the most skilled players still advanced despite the items, and that is what is really important.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
All I have to say is Thanks for coming everyone and Hope to see you all in the next brawl tournament again!

P.S.

I lost my voice and can speak to a point that i''m just whispering :/

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
fun tourny, I'm too tired to do any shoutouts or anything but props to the FFA guys for running a fairly tight tourny on 4 wiis and 50 entrants.

items are ********, no one wants them, turn that **** off

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
I'm going to learn Brawl just to parry -> uppercut people. And I'm going to parry everything.

But then this means I might need to make a joystick for Brawl so I can tap the block button faster.

>_>
<_<

O_O HAY STOP LAFFING

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to learn Brawl just to parry -> uppercut people. And I'm going to parry everything.

But then this means I might need to make a joystick for Brawl so I can tap the block button faster.

>_>
<_<

O_O HAY STOP LAFFING
The only reason I'm laughing at you Arlieth is because sticks are not legal for smash tournaments(not that I know of though).

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Fun tourney. Next time, no items and ban ****in Skyworld and Norfair. Mostly nice people and an interesting atmosphere. See some of you on the 5th.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I just woke up, and I'm going back to sleep.

I have the bracket so I'll post the full results later today.

--GCII

edit: btw Arileth, I read your story about tournament payouts. It's amazing just to see the differences for each game. I would like to note that Madden is right up there with Halo in terms of prizes thanks to the Madden Challenge ($50G), Players Bowl ($8G-10G), the Mega Bowl ($10G), and all the money matches that take place on Gamersaloon.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Singles results
54 entrants

Winner
DSF (undefeated)

Second
Lucky

Third
Futile

Fourth
Romeo

Fifth
Forward
Lovage

Seventh
D.C.
Sonic

Ninth
Blitz (using my batteries)
Recipherus
Kouryu
Simply

13th
Hugs
Rorex
P.J.
Chaz

17th
Pure
Supa
Killyou
MikeHAZE
T-Bone
Hello
Dodger
Elvis

25th
Twist
Leon
Clockwork Jr.
Vega
Tushar
Miguel G.
Patrick
Shin

33rd
Manny
Natsha
Carlos
Apex
Marion
Dylan
Eric I.M.
C.R.Z.
Jed
Renic
Soap
Rob Greco
Ryan R.
Abyss
Dae

49th
Brain
RobWest
Pizza
Race
Omar E.
Steve P.

I'm working on videos right now. I'm going to try to get them up either starting tonight or tomorrow morning.

Yes, I know about the San Diego videos. I'm postponing those until later in the week.

--GCII

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
Also, two replays were saved to my Wii..

-Ike vs DDD on Yoshi's Island (Brawl): Short match of Yellow Ike vs Blue DDD with DDD as winner.

-DDD ditto match on FD: Normal DDD vs Blue DDD, with the normal DDD winning.

Unfortunately the replays do not have names and I have no way of uploading these matches, but I'd be happy to exchange Wii codes with anyone who wants them.

The Game II

Smash Champion

-Ike vs DDD on Yoshi's Island (Brawl): Short match of Yellow Ike vs Blue DDD with DDD as winner.

Unfortunately the replays do not have names and I have no way of uploading these matches, but I'd be happy to exchange Wii codes with anyone who wants them.
If you send them to me, I can put them up. Just let me know how I can receive them through the wifi. I'll give you my friend code later on.

--GCII

Elv!s

Smash Rookie

>_>
<_<

O_O HAY STOP LAFFING
OMG Arlieth is going to revolutionize Brawl with his Makoto style
i look forward to it ahahhaha

you know...snake's downthrow is SORT OF like makoto's karakusa
actually, ganondorf's forward+b as well!

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
If you send them to me, I can put them up. Just let me know how I can receive them through the wifi. I'll give you my friend code later on.

--GCII
We'd need to exchange Wii Codes, rather than Brawl FC's. I'll PM you.

Dodger

Smash Ace
yeah, 55 people. *Complete* failure. =T

seriously though...

This was a pretty amazing tournament. 4 set-ups though is kinda :-( though. Huge thanks to the guy shouting matchups. Otherwise there would have been chaos. Sorry about your voice man.

Koryyu(sp?): tough break. I'm sure you'll get your revenge at another tourney. If it makes you feel any better, you placed higher than me anyway.

Futile: wow, your wario is amazing! and you beat DC too, who's got a good wario as well. Nice job!

Sonic: Your sonic was impressive. I wanna play it again. Oh and I hear you on the sword thing... ><

Ben: Good luck with guilty gear. Sorry to hear you don't like brawl.

Glenn did you record teams matches on the same TV that you did singles? cuz my team had a pretty cool match on that TV I think. I was really sorry to hear about your situation at gameriots. I really wish you the best of luck.

DSF: Congrats man. Is there any game you aren't good at o.0

Claire and Family: I had a blast hanging out with you guys! 20 questions FTW! Congrats on your doubles victory as well :-).

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
Sonic: Your sonic was impressive. I wanna play it again. Oh and I hear you on the sword thing... ><
Thanks. I really enjoyed playing everyone, and I should show up to more tourney's when I can.

I thought about changing characters to fight the sword wielders, but I wanted to see how far I could go with Sonic alone.

LuCKy

Smash Master
this was my first time going to FFA,it was pretty cool however the payout thing was kinda whack :/

the items wer'nt that bad for me,but i was'nt one of the few people that git ***** because of a item.....like rome and dsf for example

brawl is still kinda boring to me......but getting second makes the tourney fun lol so i guess i'll be back next time

lol me blue ddd vs romeo

and i seen your sonic,pretty good man

you should check my sonic vid thread :) i have a tech vid too,could be helpful for you

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I love how Blitz thinks beating me in an items tournament somehow proves something.

Way to win a single match in a tournament format that no one has used for 7 years blitz. If you're gonna talk **** at least do it publicly so we can have a little fun with it :)

There's no fun messaging random people that no one knows about how my rob "sucks".

But we did play 1 match without items...who won? Oh right, that was me. I guess you need those fireflowers. Maybe next time little buddy :)

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
LOL weren't you and Lovage the ones who picked it the most?
I was making a point, lol. Otherwise people would just continue to ignore the topic. As of now, those 2 stages are clearly ****, and everyone knows it. The same goes with items. Obviously they hamper gameplay, and let lesser skilled players win. I wanted to serve as a prime example as to why the next tourney's rules should be tweaked.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
good work DSF
nice to see mikeHAZE get in the top 20
cant wait to see the Futile videos. Good warios are fun to watch

No one should complain about items, because you all knew the tourney would have them going in, along with the redicuous stages. If you want to make a statement, boycott item tournaments. I didn't go because I knew I would leave a very pissed off man.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
lol me blue ddd vs romeo

and i seen your sonic,pretty good man

you should check my sonic vid thread :) i have a tech vid too,could be helpful for you
I had a feeling it was your DDD. It was certainly a pleasure to watch you and the other skilled DDD players (not to mention Wario players).

And yeah, I had already seen and been keeping up with your Sonic techs and observations. I'm still working with Sonic, but in time I should be able to play at a consistently higher level.

LuCKy

Smash Master
I had a feeling it was your DDD. It was certainly a pleasure to watch you and the other skilled DDD players (not to mention Wario players).

And yeah, I had already seen and been keeping up with your Sonic techs and observations. I'm still working with Sonic, but in time I should be able to play at a consistently higher level.
haha cool im not sure if im gonna try sonic competitivley right now...i mean i think i could do good,but i'm sure you know how hard it is. i do plan to use only sonic in tournament eventually though

The Game II

Smash Champion
I thought I would have videos up beginning in the next couple of hours, but my computer was out of commission for almost all of yesterday. I'm going to try to start getting videos up this afternoon (it'll help as a good diversion from the Giants' road to 120 losses).

--GCII

The Game II

Smash Champion
My computer crapped out again this morning so there went 2 hours of uploading. And a match involving Kouryu doesn't seem to want to get processed (now 35 minutes and counting). So I'm going to stop uploading videos for today. I'm going to try to get the remaining videos done tomorrow.

--GCII

Top Bottom