• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) SSBB Tourney: Saturday, March 29th (READ RULES)

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, Arly from FFA again. We'll be holding a Super Smash Bros. Brawl tourney on Saturday, March 29th at 2pm for teams and 6pm for singles.

Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA
(818) 360-0419
Email: thomas@familyfuntimeinc.com

Entry: $5.00 per tournament, $3 for venue (per tournament)

Rules:

Double Elimination
8:00 Time Limit
3 stock
All Sets are Best 2 out of 3
All Finals are Best 3 out of 5

Please bring your own controller- preferably wired so there's no cross-interference. If your wireless controller glitches or interferes with another match, you will automatically forfeit that game. (Ban on wireless decision pending)

Stages:

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Corneria
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld

Banned: (Everything Else)
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Distant Planet
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom
Onett
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Spear Pillar
Summit
Temple
WarioWare, Inc.
Yoshi's Island

Items Allowed: (Low Frequency)
Fan (May or may not be banned)
Lip's Stick
Star Rod
Super Scope
Fire Flower
Freezie
Hothead
Mr. Saturn
Green Shell
Banana Peel
Spring
Franklin Badge

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, it's Arlieth.

Is the 3s community getting into brawl now? It'd be really interesting to see if skill transfer from 3s to Brawl. =p

The Game II

Smash Champion
Arileth, there's only going to be a few people (less than 5) using a wireless controller, so I don't think there's much to worry about there.

--GCII

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
PS: I forgot to mention that these rules were drafted with the help of The Game II. I don't actually play Smash (but I hear there's parrying!) so there's really no way I could have come up with such a detailed ruleset. :laugh:

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
booo. I understand why you chose that ruleset, but items should be off please.
the rest of the rules are perfectly fine, just turn items off

VOTE: who wants items on/off

The Game II

Smash Champion
booo. I understand why you chose that ruleset, but items should be off please.
the rest of the rules are perfectly fine, just turn items off

VOTE: who wants items on/off
EVO wants a test tourney to see whether items will work in tournament play. This will be (and should be) the only test. I'm fine with one legitimate tournament having it, then we can go from here. Big ups to Arileth for taking this step.

--GCII

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I can understand your sentiment, Glenn. Lots of people are saying 'oh, i wonder about items in brawl;' its just that no one wants to be the guinea pigs. However, I think the majority of us can suck it up for one tourney. But, I would like to question the availability of the two stages Norfair and Sky World as Counter picks.

Norfair has, in my opinion, too much lava. While other stages, like Halberd and Green Greens, have stage hazards, Norfair takes it to another level. While all hazards are easy to see coming, on other stages it doesn't seem as easy to set your opponent up to get hit. Say, on Halberd, a bomb is shot up. Both players know its coming, and it would be difficult to position your opponent to be hit by the explosion. The only plausible way I can think of would be to throw them into it. Your opponent would see your intentions and stay away from a poor positioning. In Norfair, lava can cover up half of the screen. This leaves 2 platforms on either side, and half of the center one. Whichever player is on the side of the screen that the lava decides to come from is put at an immediate disadvantage. They are now trapped between their opponent and the stage hazard. It would require nearly any hit from the opponent to send them into the stage hazard for bonus damage. If they were to try to get on the other side, there would be no 'safe' routes to choose from. Sure, avoiding hazards is part of the game, and sure you could slip past your opponent with this new fangled air dodge, but Norfair puts too much emphasis on luck and positioning. Norfair is no fair.

Also, characters with tether recoveries can cancel all momentum by tethering on any of the grab-able ledges when sent flying. This seems like it could be more game breaking than, say, Bowser being fast on one Counter pick in Melee.

Sky World, with its destructible terrain, leads to an awkward stage to play on. With no platforms broken, we get the Hyrule Temple syndrome happening. Players will bounce around far past their expiration date. Some characters may have a huge advantage over others as well. Counter picking is all about upping your character's chance of winning and lowering you opponent's, but what if a Peach or a Pikachu is content to sit inside the middle of the stage? Without projectiles, you're eventually gonna have to dive in there. With those 2 characters, and their crazy Down Smashes, you better not miss a tech. Down Smash. You are now bouncing up and down. If you tech the ceiling upon initial contact, great! If you tech the ground upon returning to it, you're probably fine. If you miss a tech, and can't tech for however many frames afterwards, you're getting Smashed again. The game shouldn't be about missing a tech or not, and that's what Sky World does. You could try and destroy some terrain while they camp you, but its hard to say that you aren't vulnerable while doing so. It could be any character, mind you, Sky World places too much emphasis on proper positioning as well.

Another thing, if the terrain is broken, you can drop through the main platform. God forbid you accidentally fall through the main platform of the stage and get yourself into a precarious predicament, only to have the terrain spawn above you. Kind of a stretch, but not being able to rise through the solid terrain is a bigger deal than you'd think. Especially with the varying degrees of character recovery ability.

Practicing on odd Counter picks in Melee was entertaining, in a way. Knowing exactly what Pokemon was coming when on Poke Floats would hardly be an advantage, but maybe your practicing could give you an edge. But with stages like Norfair and Sky World, those stages can really punish a person for not knowing exactly what signals mean what lava, or not having perfected teching every hit. Just my 2c, I'd love to hear some discussion as to why they should be allowed. No malice. :3

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
their called a counter pick for a reason.

items sounds...not that bad actually, i was against it until saint p explained that it would take away from a lot of the camping in the game.

this should be fun.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Wow, fan should be off if you're going to allow items. Cheapest item in the game easily. LOL. Somebody use Link or someone else with a vertical neutral A fan attack and just infinite the **** out of everyone. If they DI behind you do a turn around Ftilt with the fan and it sets them back up. That should help prove items should be off

Good stage selection though..... word.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. I'll be there. Puzzle Fighter will also help me vent rage with all the Brawl bashing stupidity going around these days.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
i greatly disprove the idea of having items on..but if you must..

turn fan off. Fans are automatic infinites from what I can see, which is worse than most final smashes
if they are not infinites, can someone kindly reply how to get out of fan spammage? thanks.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

turn fan off. Fans are automatic infinites from what I can see, which is worse than most final smashes
if they are not infinites, can someone kindly reply how to get out of fan spammage? thanks.
whats your main reason for not liking them?

The Game II

Smash Champion
We've already explained that, whether people like items or not, there has to be at least one tournament that has items. This will be the tournament.

I'm going to try the fan out today because it's the first time I've heard of infinites.

--GCII

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
After playing a few rounds with the item set suggested, I can say that fans really should be taken out of the listing. They really are just a fast way to rack up a bunch of damage really fast using a rapid succession of standard attacks, while the victim has a lot of trouble just trying to get out of it. Not to mention once they are at 150-200% (which is entirely possible) you can just throw the fan and get a star KO out of it.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
LOL I just want to go for the arcades :)
But the idea of items sounds fun actually... I'm actually looking forward to it.

forward

Smash Champion
LOL I hate how game can only take one person :( oh wellz. Recipherous!? wtf man go back to 2003! j/k <3 old school is always welcome.

MikeHAZE what if I get a ride to Norwalk can I get a ride with you guys?

P.S. I'll money match any smasher in 3rd strike or CvS2, and I'll money match any FFA 3rd strike or CvS2 players in Melee or brawl :D

P.P.S. Who is pat and what's going on at his house? Is it cool? It sounds cool, let's go people!

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
It's only the best smashfests ever. Dota and CS for those who don't feel like playin smash

rob can you take me to pats house after this???

Top Bottom