• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) Brawl Tourney: Sunday, May 4th (NO CAP)

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) Brawl Tourney: Sunday, May 4th
Please Note: Rules are subject to change.

Family Fun Arcade - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament

Where:
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA
(818) 360-0419

When:
Sunday, May 4th, 2008
Sign-ups 11:00 AM.

Teams Tournament starts: 12:00 PM
Singles Tournament starts: 6:00 pm
Rules:
Entry Fee: $8 ($5 Pot, $3 Venue) <-- (Bring your Wii + Brawl game and get in FREE if we use it... WE NEED WIIS!)
*If you wish to sign-up both for Teams and Singles it is $15 per person.
Late Entry: If you arrive during Elimination Pools, you will be entered into an existing but not-yet-played pool. $2 Late Fee. If the tournament starts late and pools have not yet started, there will be no late fee. Pools will take approximately 2-3 hours to finish.
Controllers: No Remote Controllers (i.e.: Wiimotes) Allowed.

Swiss-Bracket Elimination Format:
IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 64 players: There will be 8 or 16 pools of players, roughly even. Each pool is a round-robin format, single match. The top 4 or 2 players with the highest score will emerge from each pool into a 32-man Double Elimination bracket with a one-loss penalty applied to the lower-ranking survivor of each pool. All matches from here will be Two out of Three with the exception of Finals-level matches(Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals and Grand Finals).

Stock: 3
Timer: 7:00
Prizes: 70/20/10 if under 64 players (Tournament Standard). 60/25/10/5 (1st-4th) Split if at least 64 players. NO CAP
Items: None

Note: More stations will be available (At least 6), and the malfunctioned TV from the last tournament will not be used at all.

Cross-post: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=5071267#post5071267
Cross-post: http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=53942#p53942

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter Stages:
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Corneria
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise

The Game II

Smash Champion
Uh, they're going to have 6 tvs and possibly divisional play. Do they need 7?

Anyway, isn't something else happening May 4? Seriously, I think some other tourney is happening May 4 and I can't remember what it is. It's probably not Brawl, that's probably why I can't think of it right now. Which means ... I'll be there early for some ITG action, then the tourney.

--GCII

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
If i drive there and my wii doesn't get used, I'm driving home. $12 is too much. Please lower it, I want to go to another FFA.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Uh, they're going to have 6 tvs and possibly divisional play. Do they need 7?

Anyway, isn't something else happening May 4? Seriously, I think some other tourney is happening May 4 and I can't remember what it is. It's probably not Brawl, that's probably why I can't think of it right now. Which means ... I'll be there early for some ITG action, then the tourney.

--GCII
Most of the tournaments I read are schedule to be on the May 3rd, so mostly on a Saturday and we're the next day :)

If i drive there and my wii doesn't get used, I'm driving home. $12 is too much. Please lower it, I want to go to another FFA.
Try to be the first one here then :)

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
brawl doubles before brawl singles <333333 you'll get more sign ups :]] + brawl doubles = warm up for singles most of the time
Agreed.

wow $12? seriously?
Yeah, this is ****in ********. 12$ is way too much. If anything, 8$ at most. Three dollors venue fee, the other five go into the pot. Sounds reasonable enough.

Bottom line, 12$ is DUMB.

Johnny Blitz

Smash Ace
yay for teams woohoooooo woohoooo

edit: few things that should change tho

1. put teams before singles TRUST ME (teams runs faster than singles anyway n its a good warm up for singles n gives ppl who only want to do singles time to get to the venue)

2. Lower the entrance fee. 12 is a lot for people who go to a tourney once or twice a weekend. Just make it $8 n take 4 dollars for the venue. Don't exceed 10 dollars is a good rule of thumb even if u have to take it outta the pot.

2a. 2nd fee option is make a combo price for entering singles n doubles of 20 bucks. u can still take ur 4 dollars per entrance tat way n the price is more appealing.

PS. do teams first!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
No johns on entry, bigger pot = awesome

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
rofl, $12 i a lot for singles for a biweekly tournament, they happen so often that you might as well not go until they lower it rofl.

maybe i should just start hosting sunday tournaments...hmm

Maverick69

Smash Ace
I dont wanna john about the entry fee but taking an 8 dollar cut from every entrant is kinda meh. i mean I already have to drive for an hour to get there, so gas money on top of more than 20 bucks to enter. thats pretty **** steep. Will like.. any free drinks or food or arcade games be provided?

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Again, the FFA tournament is filled with controversey.

LOL @ mike's comment on hosting bi-weeklies the same day as this. I agree completely, the people that run this tournament are slow learners.

There is no way in hell people should have to pay 12 bucks to play brawl on 6 TVs. One third of this 12 goes to the venue, which sucks. The payout will be higher.... to three players. However, the majority of the players will not receive any special benefit from the increased price.

For a 12 dollar entry, we could host community run events, at rented, quiet, spacious venues. Air conditioning, carpet, chairs, the works. I could easily find a great venue we could rent bi-weekly for 200 bucks or less a day.

About 45 people showed up to the tournament on Saturday, which was in someone's GARAGE, and had NINE TVs. Entry was only 5 dollars, and we were given free snapples and water.

Lets say we got 50 people to show up to a bi-weekly Los Angeles area tournament, held in a nice, rented facility. If we collected a 5 dollar entry fee, and events were 3 dollars each, we would have 250 dollars to spend on the venue. Mind you, since we have this ALL DAY, there would be a lot of friendlies included in your admission fee.

It would basically be a bi-weekly smashfest that we don't have to clean up, and we don't have to smell each other.

In fact, I think a great idea would be to find something like a high school classroom or gym willing to let us use their facility.

Anyway, Family Fun Arcade is a mis-managed greedy BUSINESS that fails us. See you all at the Mandala tournament instead.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I swear, it's a new trend with FFA:

****ing smashers over one way or another. First it was items, then came the gay-*** fixed bracket which completely contradicted the info on the thread and now the amazingly high entry fee. Can't wait to see what happens next time...

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
so much hate in this thread!
ffa does a good job with what they have to run tournaments
im not going tho because i might be elsewhere and its 12 bucks :)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Again, the FFA tournament is filled with controversey.

LOL @ mike's comment on hosting bi-weeklies the same day as this. I agree completely, the people that run this tournament are slow learners.

There is no way in hell people should have to pay 12 bucks to play brawl on 6 TVs. One third of this 12 goes to the venue, which sucks. The payout will be higher.... to three players. However, the majority of the players will not receive any special benefit from the increased price..
no no no, the problem is SO MANY PEOPLE WILL, because they don't think they have other options, that's why i want to attempt to cater to the community and actually run good tournaments with more than 6 tv's (rofl pretty sure i have like 9 on sunday, and i posted that i was having the tournament on Wed), and don't try to RETARDEDLY rip you off at venue fees, i'll see what i can do, but look forward to it.

edit:but yeah, that's the problem, they said last time "if you don't want a cap, then we'll find alternatives like raise the venue fee or pot." they're just trying to take advantage of everyone because they know people will enter.

If anything, FFA is the new Manacloud.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Re-edited the first page everyone.

Entry fee has been returned to original price: $8

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
I'll explain the reasoning behind the $12 fee:

At first, we decided on the $12 fee because we thought we would only be holding singles. With singles, $4 x 64 (estimate) is $256, and the venue to pot ratio is 4:8, or 1:2 (33%), which is better than the 3:5 (37.5%) of before. But it turned out there was demand for doubles as well (at which point I said 'toss it in too and we'll just have to start earlier'), so it isn't as much of an issue.

Let's face it- the economy sucks right now. And when you have gas prices of $4/gal, most businesses have to *raise* prices to cover their costs. We also have rising rent costs, bills, payroll and all the setup and cleanup to deal with when you guys aren't here. Before anything else, we have to stay in business. (I wish the parking at FFA was better though, trust me.) However, you guys have to travel from pretty far to come over here, and I understand that. I've been going to tournaments since 2001, including two-hour drives to SHGL (back in the day), and that sucked.

If we continue to have good turnouts at FFA events, I'll keep the entry fees down to $8 per event, or $15 for both events. This applies to this tournament as of now.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys this is a question on deciding the pools on how you want them to be:
We can have a total of 16 pools of 4 players each and instead of single matches, it will be at 2/3. Take the top 2 players in each pool.
OR
We can have a total of 8 pools with 8 players each but single matches no 2/3. Take the top 4 players in each pool.
Thus creating a 32 man bracket.
So singles matches against more players, or 2/3 with fewer players. (Will be updated on pools by this week later)

Top Bottom