• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Famicom Detective Club Franchise Discussion Thread

amageish

Smash Master
Earlier this year, Famicom Detective Club made its jump to a worldwide franchise through remakes of the first two titles made by the prolific visual novel developers at MAGES. Since then, Makoto Asada, the producer of the remakes, has expressed interest in making a new game in the series. Whether or not this can or will happen is yet to be determined, but that's what this thread is here to discuss!

What do you think? Will this long-dormant franchise be given a new home permanently at MAGES? Would the next project be a remake of the long-forgotten Satellaview entry or something truly all-new? Would they modernize the gameplay or keep going with the retro style? How will the relationship between protagonist-kun and Ayumi be developed? Let's discuss it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would certainly like to see another. I seem to have developed a love of mysteries probably due to Layton and Wright and would like to see more with these. Although I’d prefer if they left out the random things that felt out of place and if ayumi didn’t sit so close to the camera

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know the second game made me wonder if all schools had ghost stories or if that was just a local thing. were anybody else's schools supposedly haunted?

amageish

Smash Master
you know the second game made me wonder if all schools had ghost stories or if that was just a local thing. were anybody else's schools supposedly haunted?
Mine did have ghost stories, at least. Though my town also just generally has a lot of ghost stories (mainly as a tourist thing), so it may not be representative of the larger world.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mine did have ghost stories, at least. Though my town also just generally has a lot of ghost stories (mainly as a tourist thing), so it may not be representative of the larger world.
that makes sense. I suppose it could be a local thing for my old school as well as we’re not that far away from Edinburgh a city that’s supposedly so haunted they set they could set both Luigis mansion and ghostbusters there and there’d be plenty for both

amageish

Smash Master
Is this topic alive?
I mean, you posted in it, so it now currently alive! Hi!

Threads go silent for long spans on SmashBoards; the boards are more designed to allow that to happen then a lot of web forums are...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I've downloaded The Missing Heir and am having a lot of fun with it. The games a little obtuse but the story is good. I really wish MAGES will be able to find the Satellaview game as I wanna play a game as Ayumi. Heck, maybe a new entry in the series could have her as the main character or they could do a Gaiden game where Dr. Kurama solves a mystery on his own with his long suffering nurse ever seeing as he wanted to be a detective. ;)

amageish

Smash Master
I've downloaded The Missing Heir and am having a lot of fun with it. The games a little obtuse but the story is good. I really wish MAGES will be able to find the Satellaview game as I wanna play a game as Ayumi. Heck, maybe a new entry in the series could have her as the main character or they could do a Gaiden game where Dr. Kurama solves a mystery on his own with his long suffering nurse ever seeing as he wanted to be a detective. ;)
I'm glad you're enjoying the games! They are quite fun experiences, if obviously dated with age.

Hopefully we get the Ayumi title eventually. Nintendo has now acknowledged BS Fire Emblem in Fire Emblem Heroes, so, uh, hey! That's something! They don't entirely pretend the Satellaview doesn't exist!

The Nurse was easily a standout character for me; if I still had the time and mental capacity to write fanfiction, then she would be my #1 choice of muse as she was fantastic lol. I love a good long-suffering pragmatically-motivated character...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'm glad you're enjoying the games! They are quite fun experiences, if obviously dated with age.

Hopefully we get the Ayumi title eventually. Nintendo has now acknowledged BS Fire Emblem in Fire Emblem Heroes, so, uh, hey! That's something! They don't entirely pretend the Satellaview doesn't exist!

The Nurse was easily a standout character for me; if I still had the time and mental capacity to write fanfiction, then she would be my #1 choice of muse as she was fantastic lol. I love a good long-suffering pragmatically-motivated character...
Of course, we need the level-headed pragmatic characters to help make sure quirky guys like Dr. Kumada, (I misspelled his name. XD) don't get into too much trouble. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't really have the time to get the remakes right now, but I will say this: if I were Sakurai and I had more time to work on Melee, I'd definitely want to add Ayumi as a playable character.
thats funny sakurai said hed have added wario

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'm playing The Girl Who Stands Behind and it's pretty good. On the subject of school ghost stories, I'm afraid my high school doesn't have any. (All our interesting stories were caused by the living. XD)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I bought both games.

I will try them eventually...

amageish

Smash Master
I'm playing The Girl Who Stands Behind and it's pretty good. On the subject of school ghost stories, I'm afraid my high school doesn't have any. (All our interesting stories were caused by the living. XD)
Glad you're enjoying it! It's an engaging story for sure.

I bought both games.

I will try them eventually...
Hopefully you enjoy them once you try them! And thanks for picking them up; people buying them does help ensure the franchise is able to continue.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Finally finished The Girl Who Stands Behind and enjoyed it. Gotta say Hitomi is an awesome character and he would be a great addition to the Utsugi Detective Agency. Sure, he may get into trouble from time to time but he ultimately has a good heart. I also love his relationship with the bartender of Bar Sambora, as I always thought of it as the bartender knowing Hitomi needs a father figure and being one for him.

amageish

Smash Master
Finally finished The Girl Who Stands Behind and enjoyed it. Gotta say Hitomi is an awesome character and he would be a great addition to the Utsugi Detective Agency. Sure, he may get into trouble from time to time but he ultimately has a good heart. I also love his relationship with the bartender of Bar Sambora, as I always thought of it as the bartender knowing Hitomi needs a father figure and being one for him.
Hitomi is a lot of fun. I would love to see him aged-up if we get a sequel of some sort. Definitely a good character...

The standout background NPC this time to me was the random French artist girl. She first got my attention just due to the "You can tell I'm not natively Japanese at a glance, right?" thing not holding up in translation... I did not realize she was supposed to be not-Japanese until she said it, but she had a very cute design and a fairly funny scene. I like how her paintings also evolve over the game and you can keep examining them for more insight.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
which was that again?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hitomi was Ayumi's Japanese delienquent friend who turned out to be a good guy in the end as he helped the protagonist out once he found out the main character was helping her. The bartender looked after him.
oh right the guy in middle of the weird tone shifts

amageish

Smash Master
Most of the boards have gone relatively quiet, yeah... A lot of people are only checking the forums periodically now and it's not like we have much new Famicom Detective news to discuss... If MAGES is able to make their own FDC game, I guess it's technically possible we'd see it in the Jan 2022 Direct, but it also seems very possible it'd be announced in 2023 and released a month or two after announcement.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, at least the remakes helped introduce the series to a new generation of fans. That's good for something, right?
If this is the end of FDC's resurgence, then it still means we got two beautiful remakes of the first two games. Nothing to sneeze at by any means!

amageish

Smash Master
Hello!

How is everyone?
I'm doing okay! Some health challenges, but I'm more or less fine.

For some vaguely on-thread-topic stuff: I've been playing Arcadia Fallen lately, which is my only real mystery game experience currently and it's more of a fantasy VN with mystery elements then anything else...

I have relative confidence Nintendo will have a Direct soon-ish, but I imagine a new FDC wouldn't be announced until closer to release if one was greenlit... Though who knows, the original remakes were announced in Japan with only a few scenes of gameplay, so maybe they'd give it another vague "This IP is still alive BTW!" announcement...

Top Bottom