• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falling speed comparison over time

Kadano

Magical Express
Most of you probably heard that Fox falls the fastest early on, but Falco and Captain Falcon exceed him after some point.
To give you a quick understanding of how falling speed over time works for all the characters, I created this diagram:

This falling speed is applied whenever you are airborne. This is why light fastfallers like Fox and Falco die from the top blast zone so late – falling speed decreases knockback during the entire hitstun and beyond.

This diagram does not account for:
  • Fast fall (I have no idea how I could add this in without cluttering it up too much to be useful, also I don’t know how fast fall gravity is applied / calculated)
  • Instant gravity (Caused by doing an aerial on frame 1; this effectively pushes your character’s falling speed curve to the left by one frame)
Related discussions:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/2l7i5j/falling_speeds_in_ssbm/
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/2lddfy/falling_speed_comparison_over_time_cunninghams/

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Anyone who wants to see the actual gravity and terminal velocity values, they are here.

Ok so Kadano, I have a question about fall speeds that's bothered me like forever. Here's a scenario to demonstrate:

Falcon's gravity is 0.13 and Ganon's is the same.
Falcon's terminal velocity is 2.9 and Ganon's is 2.
Falcon's weight is 104 and Ganon's weight is 109.

Based on this, if I up throw both characters (with say Marth) at the same percent, their peak height should be almost the same, because their gravity is the same, the only difference being that Ganon's knockback is a little less so therefore he should go less high and start descending sooner. Instead what I see is the opposite. Throw them both on a platform at low % and Falcon will hit it much sooner (I'm talking %'s where they just barely start descending and don't reach their terminal velocities). Doesn't terminal velocity only factor in when they're descending? Shouldn't Ganon survive Fox's up smash longer than Falcon? I observe the opposite and it confuses the crap out of me. If you can prove what I'm saying is incorrect than show me if you don't mind. I'm not at my cube atm, but I've tested these things before so I'm pretty sure they're true.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Stratocaster Stratocaster I wasn’t able to find the memory adresses yet so I can’t say with perfect confidence, but from my observations I’m pretty sure that terminal velocity only affects the falling speed vector and not the effective movement vector. Thus, you can reach terminal velocity even when you are still ascending. I think the calculation needs to be like this:

Effective vertical momentum (Δy) = current KB / jump force − current falling speed
So for an attack like Marth’s uthrow, they should be in about 30 frames of hitstun before they land on a platform. CF and Ganon’s falling speed diverge by frame 16, so that’s approximately 14 frames on which Falcon’s falling speed vector will be greater than Ganon’s.

Throw KB doesn’t scale with weight at all, so that’s one factor less that would weigh Ganon down, so to speak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom