• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's jab compared to Ftilt

kismet2

Smash Ace
Falco's jab has just as much reach as ftilt, just no knockback, so laser>jab is better in general compared to laser ftilt. With jab being frame 2 and ftilt being frame 9...yeah lol much smaller window of opportunity plus you get more options and frame traps. ALSO spaced jabs while your opponent is on the ledge is much better than ftilt because jab has a hitbox below and again since it's really fast it's easy to react to your opponent options.

I'd advocate for laser -> ftilt simply because your reward for hitting someone is better. If you hit someone with jab, you have to deal with the jab-cancel mix-up business which always has the risk of going bad. Falco's rapid jab is horrible and should really only be used on someone who doesn't know how to SDI or on a character which cannot easily pull off a fast aerial from the air.

And a few times I have managed to pull off jabbing Ike out of his UpB recovery, so I think it might be a more reliable way of doing that due to the speed.

kismet2

Smash Ace
The jab mixup is probably the best part about falco's camping because you can jab again or phantasm to the other side of the stage(you also have frame advantage on most characters). Ftilt is also really good at poking but so is jab, if you space it you can't shield grab it. Btw Falco's rapid jab is really good lol as long as it's not being held the opponent won't have enough time to sdi it so you can rapid jab into double jab mixups you're also allowed to shield so you can bait the fast aerials. Nothing against ftilt but the speed helps and you're given more options from jabbing as compared to ftilt. Not saying ftilt is bad but that jab covers alot.

EDIT: Yeah jabbing while people are on the ledge covers most of their options unless they're Mk/Marth but you can still control how they get back on just can't jab as much lol

I guess it just depends upon the reward your looking for. Falco's frame advantage isn't that great. Its usually hovers around a zero disadvantage. Plenty of characters can jab cancel mix-up off of you depending upon what you go into after a jab. If I get a laser, then Ftilt is almost guaranteed without the risk of being hit back somehow. But yeah, Falco's mix-up game is really the most important part of his design.

I'm just bias in what people can do these days. Anyone familiar with the Falco match-up should try SDI'ing his rapid jab if they can punish it. With hitlag and the how long the move lasts, people can react to rapid jab half way through and still get some reasonable SDI in. It lasts about twenty frames and hitstun of all four hits is another 20 frames. 2/3 second is plenty of time to react. The only good thing about it is that only certain characters can reliably punish it if you try shielding after it. If not, then even characters like snake can SDI up/towards and bair/uair you in punishment.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Ftilt is frame 6, not frame 9. And it does have more range than jab, even if jab has a wider hitbox.

Ftilt > jab is really good to beat spotdodges (in the situation where Ftilt gets dodged).

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I'd rather have these discussions in the Social Threads, and not have a thread for everything you talk about. Unless it's a new discovery.

Jab has its' uses and F-Tilt does as well.

F-Tilt is better used for spacing against grabs when you F-Tilt at max range.
Especially his hurt box doesn't move forward, where as Jab causes you to lean forward.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Both options are good and can be used in a lot of the same situations. Jab gives you more mix up options whereas ftilt is used mainly for pokes and to keep your opponent at a safe distance.

Ftilt is very hard to punish and usually safe from a shield grab, when spaced properly. You can punish your opponent with a bdacus after ftilt if you catch them going for the shield grab. I think ftilt beach's combos at certain percentages :/ probably...

:phone:

Ftilt is very hard to punish and usually safe from a shield grab, when spaced properly. You can punish your opponent with a bdacus after ftilt if you catch them going for the shield grab. I think ftilt beach's combos at certain percentages :/ probably...
I remember someone trying to show that it did combo against people against a wall and if decayed enough could induce a jab reset. Which reminds me of what stuff can Falco do from an edge slip off a platform other than laser lock. I never really thought to actively look for it.
I like to use angled down Ftilt to hit my opponents before they grab the ledge as certain angles also.
Angled up ftilt as an anti-air.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I remember someone trying to show that it did combo against people against a wall and if decayed enough could induce a jab reset. Which reminds me of what stuff can Falco do from an edge slip off a platform other than laser lock. I never really thought to actively look for it.

Angled up ftilt as an anti-air.
It does Wall Lock at certain damages and Staleness, which is good to know when it arises.

As well. F-Tilt aimed up is a great Anti air.. I love it so much when I do it.

kismet2

Smash Ace
this is all true and sorry if i'm trying to make it seem like jab should always be used instead of ftilt because i understand that it has it's uses. i guess i'm just trying to say that jab is effing good lol i like the pressure it gives me it's definitely personal preference as xeylode said.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Situationally, yes, FTilt has times where it is the superior option. However, optimally, I would think that you would want to jab much more often because it is the superior choice for continuing an advantageous offense which is characteristic of the Falcos that are doing well as opposed to the mid or low level players who can't apply anything other than laser laser phantasm laser laser.

Top Bottom