• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's Downthrow hit stun

reiji1337

Smash Rookie
Is it really possible to do anything after a down throw? Against some players I would be able to, but let's say even a CPU level 9: I down throw them and try to follow up and they pretty much get their control back and can hit me out of anything I try to do.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
The things you should do after Falcon's dthrow (really, after anything you do with Falcon) are either to watch what your opponent does when you hit him, and react accordingly or to read (predict) his next action, acting accordingly.

There aren't any guaranteed follow-ups from a dthrow (that I know), but there are some examples:
>if your opponent DIs upwards and airdodges towards you, you can charge a down smash and land it for a hard punishment.
>if you think that your opponent will DI away and shield on ground, you can dash and grab them to reset the situation.
>if your opponent doesn't have a quick reaction or his character doesn't have much to hit while you're below him, you can quickly short hop and try to follow with an uair.

Really, as Brawl has little hitstun, none of these options (and anything one can think) are completely safe, if that's what you asked.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What he said : there are no true combos out of Dthrow, except maybe Uair if you buffer it at 0%.

You have to mix up between shielding to counter aerials, waiting to counter dodges and hitting if they do nothing or are too slow.

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
When I Dthrow my opponent, I like run away from him and then Raptor Boost immediately. It works on impatient players who will most likely mash up A during the hit stun hoping they'll land an aerial. The little bit of running allow me to space correctly while the other player attacks and then he gets the uppercut.

So yeah, it's pretty much mindgames / prediction.

Top Bottom