• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon vs. Roy Match-up

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I've been struggling with this match-up as Roy, what do you recommend I should be doing in general?

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
Baiting and punishing is probably the most important thing I can think of.
I have a friend who mains Roy and if I approach recklessly he can easily combo me. If I bait a move out, then I can get good grab confirms and combos due to Roy's weight. Just wait till he flubs up and capitalize on it.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, just be very careful while approaching with Falcon. I beat a lot of Falcons at my local because they just run at me forever thinking they have an unbeatable offense. I would recommend just being very careful in the neutral as both characters can combo to death.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Watch Sethlon and Lunchables vs some of the Falcons in DFW. You'll get a pretty good idea of how they play neutral, how they convert and tech chase, etc

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
from the perspective of a roy main, this MU is bad for falcon. not trash, but its definitely a fair distance away from even.

the problem is that baiting and punishing roy is not that easy. he has moves like dtilt that are low commitment, high reward, and are great from a CC. he also has great pokes that very effectively combat aerial approaches with good disjoint (i.e. side b and ftilt). most notably, side b can easily be used on the run and straight out of a dash dance, and it chops straight through every single approach you have, in addition to linking very well into grabs, where you get punished hardcore. for roy, neutral is a matter of proper spacing and reaction, and once those two things come together, the falcon player has a much harder time getting something started, despite possesing a great punish game on roy. the other thing to note is that roy very very effectively edge guards falcon, more than a lot of other characters.

from falcons perspective, you have to do the absolute best to mix up all your DD patterns and fake a lot of approaches. get the roy player conditioned to throwing out side bs or dtilts at certain times that you KNOW he will be throwing them out. youre going to have to be patient, but thats the only way to traverse through his disjointed neutral game.

additionally, yes, im pretty sure there are plenty of higher level falcon vs roy videos out there.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It might be even in this patch, hard to say for sure. Out of the Falcon players, I've probably had the most success in this MU but I haven't played many of the top roys in awhile. Most of my wins or decent matches were in 3.5. 3.6 changes on Roy should lead to a slightly easier time

Top Bottom