• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Try jumping up from the ledge and do a reverse Falcon Punch when someone tries to edgeguard you with a laggy attack and you will do the Falcon Punch exactly when you land behind the opponent!

I have surprisingly hit countless of opponents with this and it's best used when someone loads a smash attack near the ledge (Many people do this and i have no idea why, but i would guess it's because they expect you to roll or ledge attack and try to punish by loading a smash).

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Just tested all of his attacks. They all do the exact same damage as before. All of his old combos work the same too. He seems to be thankfully unchanged.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
(Ignore this, i posted changes i have found for Falcon but i posted them in the Falcon patch thread instead)

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i'm not too sure if falcon has changed with this new patch but i was able to connect dthrow knee on marth as a true combo at 28%

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Dthrow knee has always been oddly finicky. Sometimes it true combos and sometimes it doesn't.

Ragnabrock

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2938-8617-0876
Anyone see Coffeeblack's Capn Falcon on the EMG invitational? Killer!
Is there a link to this match, it sounds interesting.

I'm new to playing Smash seriously (first of the series for me was Brawl...yeah...) and I decided to take up the Captain himself as my main after trying him on after a friend got me to try a character other than Marth.

So far I can currently tech quite consistently if I remember to do it, I can dashdance if I need to (but I sometimes fumble it plus I hardly find a use for it).
I think I can also do stationary dashes and turnabout tilts/smashes as Falcon along with Foxtroting consistently, though I'm unsure on when I know if i've done a perfect pivot or not (though I think it might be indicated by Falcon doing a regular turn rather than a dash turn, judging from a video of a Falcon performing it I think that is the case) since that's fairly inconsistent, I did manage to perform it a few times in a row in practice before messing up thanks to some muscle memory despite being on 3DS.
Plus I think I need to solidify my combos a bit since I seem inconsistent with those at the moment, currently looking at Gawain's combo and approach thread to hopefully resolve that issue, should there be any other advanced techniques I should look into?

What do you guys do to edgeguard/handle opponents off-stage?
For edgeguarding I normally use utilt since a well-timed one can either gimp or meteor smash an opponent, though some have said a dtilt is also good.
Not sure on what to do against an opponent off-stage, I normally wait for them to get near the stage so I can either knee or juggle them with uair, since I'm not used to disrespect combos so I don't try to risk it.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
For edgeguarding I normally use utilt since a well-timed one can either gimp or meteor smash an opponent, though some have said a dtilt is also good.
Not sure on what to do against an opponent off-stage, I normally wait for them to get near the stage so I can either knee or juggle them with uair, since I'm not used to disrespect combos so I don't try to risk it.
When I jump off to attack someone off-stage, I usually go for a fair. If I hit the sweetspot, they're dead. If I flub it, they're still very likely to get gimped. Other times (when they're about to grab the ledge) I hit them with a bair and they get stage spiked.

For opponents recovering high, I just give chase with uair or sometimes a well placed knee. Sometimes I will wait for them to come down and hit them with a utilt or a dtilt, though.

Ragnabrock

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2938-8617-0876
When I jump off to attack someone off-stage, I usually go for a fair. If I hit the sweetspot, they're dead. If I flub it, they're still very likely to get gimped. Other times (when they're about to grab the ledge) I hit them with a bair and they get stage spiked.

For opponents recovering high, I just give chase with uair or sometimes a well placed knee. Sometimes I will wait for them to come down and hit them with a utilt or a dtilt, though.
That's what I sometimes do if I attack off-stage, though I occasionally try to meteor with dair instead, it can threaten people who hug the walls of stages like FD Boxing Ring to try and edgegrab but that would end up being a hard read I think.

Also I noticed that dodge cancel video earlier in the thread, I assume to do that with Falcon you use neutralA and follow up with a gentleman if the jab confirms, otherwise you could back roll to escape before they recover from hitstun, plus I guess there might be other moves that you can dodge cancel with?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
So who else is lovin' the pivot fsmash with the onset of the Wii U version and the glorious c-stick?

SOber SOldier

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1693-2980-5673
Is there a link to this match, it sounds interesting.

I'm new to playing Smash seriously (first of the series for me was Brawl...yeah...) and I decided to take up the Captain himself as my main after trying him on after a friend got me to try a character other than Marth.

So far I can currently tech quite consistently if I remember to do it, I can dashdance if I need to (but I sometimes fumble it plus I hardly find a use for it).
I think I can also do stationary dashes and turnabout tilts/smashes as Falcon along with Foxtroting consistently, though I'm unsure on when I know if i've done a perfect pivot or not (though I think it might be indicated by Falcon doing a regular turn rather than a dash turn, judging from a video of a Falcon performing it I think that is the case) since that's fairly inconsistent, I did manage to perform it a few times in a row in practice before messing up thanks to some muscle memory despite being on 3DS.
Plus I think I need to solidify my combos a bit since I seem inconsistent with those at the moment, currently looking at Gawain's combo and approach thread to hopefully resolve that issue, should there be any other advanced techniques I should look into?

here are some highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgVmbbFTuU&list=UUauH9DNPMjLlBoFlLD4kevw

link2702

Smash Champion
does anyone else feel like falcon's dthrow to Nair/uair is less reliable/harder to nail on the Wii U smash?

even with the GCN controller, i wasn't able to reliably land both hits of his nair on characters I normally had no problem with on the 3DS.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
does anyone else feel like falcon's dthrow to Nair/uair is less reliable/harder to nail on the Wii U smash?

even with the GCN controller, i wasn't able to reliably land both hits of his nair on characters I normally had no problem with on the 3DS.
Yeah i also think it's harder, but i think it's mostly because of the changes to DI/vectoring that happened last patch.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I think we can all agree that landing a Falcon Punch to end a For Glory match is satisfying.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm gonna start experimenting a bit more. D-Throw into Uair is great and all but D-Throw into Nair at low %s is where it's at, and I wanna see how much followups I can squeeze outta that.

I'm so glad Falcon is good again.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Has Falcon's Weak Knee always had a small chance to trip the opponent, because I swore I tripped my opponent through a weak knee..
It happened in Brawl, probably the engines are similar so it happens in Sm4sh too.

I'm actually not surprised at all, but congrats, man! :D

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
It happened in Brawl, probably the engines are similar so it happens in Sm4sh too.

I'm actually not surprised at all, but congrats, man! :D
pretty sure, most sour spot moves have a chance to trip iirc
okay thanks. It hasn't happened to me until today, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't added in the patch or something. :p
Thanks again. :)

link2702

Smash Champion
yeah the more I use falcon in the Wii U vers. the more he feels really off compared to the 3DS....

like not just his nair, but his Uair's as well kind of feel like they've got more ground lag, and can't as reliably be followed up with as they can in the 3DS.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
yeah the more I use falcon in the Wii U vers. the more he feels really off compared to the 3DS....

like not just his nair, but his Uair's as well kind of feel like they've got more ground lag, and can't as reliably be followed up with as they can in the 3DS.
no you can definitely follow up from an U-air with jab or grab

Lionman

Smash Champion
The Diddy Virus is spreading in my country, im gonna do my best to win at least enought to pay the cost of the travel

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Falcon gonna take home the bank. Show me your money!

Good luck, make us proud to play the epitome of manly, Captain Falcon!

Last edited:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
well, For Glory mode's officially gotten old and stale to me

if anyone's down to add me, give me a holler

really bored of being camped and barely being able to do anything about it.

Lionman

Smash Champion
I just purchased the WiiU version and...

There were no Gamecube adapters so im going to use the classic controller, works fine for me, i have to focus in increasing my movement speed and reflexes, will try to adapt for the tournament... i have more options now

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
So DI makes D-Throw to Uair sort of situational depending on the character (If they're light and they DI, ughhh) but thankfully Nair saves the day. D-Throw into Nair is pretty real and it does close to the same amount of damage and sets up for a Uair right afterwards if you grab them at 0%.

This character is sooooo fun.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The DI is subtle enough that its easier to chain dthrow into uair than it was before.

But yeah, dthrow into nair for some characters is sick, and then you can connect it into uair. Feels very melee-esque

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Falcon's edgeguarding potential in this game is much, much better than people tend to give it credit for.
All of you should make an effort to consistently be able to steal the ledge from people on reaction with a short hop or falling off the stage and fastfalling into it. The fact that they don't have invincibility the next time they grab the ledge forces them to come on stage and get Baired/U-tilted, or grab the ledge only for you to Dair them, Dair is especially amazing in this game since meteor-cancelling is not a thing in this game.
Those 3 things give you fantastic option coverage from a ledge steal, and you can just mix them up based on what you think your foe will do next.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ledge stealing is definitely going to be a big thing in this game for the reasons you mentioned.

I played a Marth who would ledge steal -> bair which worked really well. I tried doing something similar with Falcon but I don't think we're able to ledge steal and attack then while they're popped off. So I think we do just need to ledge steal, and force them to either grab the ledge or jump over, and punish accordingly.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
ledge stealing is definitely going to be a big thing in this game for the reasons you mentioned.

I played a Marth who would ledge steal -> bair which worked really well. I tried doing something similar with Falcon but I don't think we're able to ledge steal and attack then while they're popped off. So I think we do just need to ledge steal, and force them to either grab the ledge or jump over, and punish accordingly.
Exactly.
I've also been experimenting with Dair OOS a lot, it seems if you hit them with it while they're grounded, it seems they can't cancel the hitstun like they could when you bounce them off the ground. The fact that it also has a huge amount of hitstun, makes it so at pretty high percents, it combos into at least U-air, and maybe more. This might be our best way to set up kills OOS at pretty high percents, so it has at least that cool niche to fill.
If they can cancel the hitstun, just let me know.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Hmm, last night I played a Marth who I hit a few times with Dair while he was grounded... I remember going "nice!" when he teched it and rolled away from me. So it's techable, at least...

Don't know about the hitstun, though. AFAIK, it's not cancelable and landing a Knee after a Dair in that fashion is oh so GLORIOUS!

Top Bottom