• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

JCav

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I gotta say that I'm loving the Captain in Sm4sh. A few of my thoughts:

- Dash grab is VERY good. The range is much improved from Brawl, and he slides a lot more. This is a wonderful tool for approaching and starting combo situations.
- I've been having a hard time getting camped. Falcon does great once he gets inside, but approaching someone who's camping is an early struggle. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this?
- It's been well documented, but Raptor Boost has become a primary KOing option. I've found myself saving this move when the opponent is at KO percents. Next to Raptor Boost, Bair is my other favorite reliable knock out move.
- I've been searching for some reliable ways to land a Knee. One early observation is using down-throw (around 60-80%), and reading the opponents double jump to land a solid Knee. It's not guaranteed, but it's been my most reliable method so far. What do you guys like for landing Knees?

D

Deleted member

I'm having trouble performing his multi-punch jab, anyone mind telling me how it works? Other than that, all I can say is that he's a blast to play as.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
Captain Falcon's run and grab is so good for combos.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I'm having trouble performing his multi-punch jab, anyone mind telling me how it works? Other than that, all I can say is that he's a blast to play as.
If you hold A when hitting an opponent, he auto gentleman's.

If you tap a 3 times in fast succession, he goes into the rapid, if you let go of A after, you do 12 minimum.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
So I'm thinking of picking up Falcon in this after skipping him in Brawl/PM. Needed an extra character and getting stage spikes off stage with the Cap is just....hype. I'm going to have to lab the hell out of him, but I'm excited to show people my moves.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm looking for a decent Falcon to practice with. I played a great Falcon who was about my level earlier and getting hit by similar combos really helps you get a feel for them. If anyone wants to do matches now and then, send me a message or something.

Edit: Preferrably someone in the midwest/west coast regions, but I'd love to play with anyone.

Last edited:

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
Finally got to my 100th match in For Glory; 72% win rate with Falcon only. Pretty much digging him, but I have to work out the rougher match-ups I've noticed.

Pivoting helps so much with how people play on For Glory. All these dodge rolls...

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Finally got to my 100th match in For Glory; 72% win rate with Falcon only. Pretty much digging him, but I have to work out the rougher match-ups I've noticed.

Pivoting helps so much with how people play on For Glory. All these dodge rolls...
I've got like a 90 percent win rate after 200 games, mostly all with Falcon. What matchups have you found to be hard for him, I'm curious. The one I feel like gives me the most trouble is Little Mac, but thats probably only because the lag really makes him hard to play against online. There's nothing I can do about those smashes but grab all game long.

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
Mostly had issues with Rosalina, Luigi and Greninja. The Greninja I faced was EXTREMELY good, and it honestly looks like it'd shape to be a fun matchup.

Little Mac seems like he'd be a matchup depending on how much you could get him in the air. Considering how pivoting and foxtrotting on him is pretty dangerous, I'd say it'd be a troublesome matchup once I find one that constantly does it.

Then comes the issue of zoner characters like ROB, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt. Been kind of okay with ROB and Bowser Jr. Definitely need more experience with Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Mostly had issues with Rosalina, Luigi and Greninja. The Greninja I faced was EXTREMELY good, and it honestly looks like it'd shape to be a fun matchup.

Little Mac seems like he'd be a matchup depending on how much you could get him in the air. Considering how pivoting and foxtrotting on him is pretty dangerous, I'd say it'd be a troublesome matchup once I find one that constantly does it.

Then comes the issue of zoner characters like ROB, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt. Been kind of okay with ROB and Bowser Jr. Definitely need more experience with Duck Hunt.
I've yet to face a Luigi online, but Luigi has always been a bad matchup for Falcon imo. Project M really emphasizes it. Luigi covers Falcon's approaches really well with his fair. For ranged guys, shielding out of dash pretty much beats all of them, especially DHD if they try to use the clay pigeon. You can usually dash up and shield during the startup animation and then grab them after the pigeon is shielded. The can is tricky though. You just gotta be careful.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
I will soon post the notes of my grab release research. Falcon has tons of traps and guarantee setups. Expect it soon. :3 Oh and falcon can deal with those characters pretty well. Greninja feels in Falcon favor. He can't kill that well and you can outspeed greninja and kill him early. Remember if you counter hit him, he will die sooner.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
So i tested the loops more and the only way a person can make it hard to di after the shock; however, if you master the timing you can just do the footstool faster and prevent them form messing up your timing. As soon as I can get a video of this, I will make a thread. It will most likely be when the wii u version is release, since I' don't have a 3ds capture card.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
So i tested the loops more and the only way a person can make it hard to di after the shock; however, if you master the timing you can just do the footstool faster and prevent them form messing up your timing. As soon as I can get a video of this, I will make a thread. It will most likely be when the wii u version is release, since I' don't have a 3ds capture card.
By the way, I assume the best course of action is to use the loop to accrue damage and then finish with a knee? I would think if a footstool is guaranteed, a knee would be.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm getting so frustrated playing as Falcon on For Glory, i just seriously don't know how am i supposed to approach characters like Villager, Rosalina and the like. They perfect shield everything and just keep spamming, everything i do is punished, approaching with Uairs, dash grabs/attacks or Falcon Kicks, everything just gets neutralized by those characters.
I ain't giving up but seriously i need to stay away from For Glory for a while.

Last edited:

mmkzer0

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-0534-6178
I'm getting so frustrated playing as Falcon on For Glory, i just seriously don't know how am i supposed to approach characters like Villager, Rosalina and the like. They perfect shield everything and just keep spamming, everything i do is punished, approaching with Uairs, dash grabs/attacks or Falcon Kicks, everything just gets neutralized by those characters.
I ain't giving up but seriously i need to stay away from For Glory for a while.
Just jump and do air-moves. Backair and Down-Air are very usefull to get them into combos. If they airedodge then, do the Falcon Punch or the Up-Ground Move (Up+A on the Ground) to go on with combos :3

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I'm a newer captain falcon player (only played this game since brawl falcon felt like wet paper) I have alot of trouble getting to zoning characters and campy characters. So tips on that would be nice if anyone has anything for me. Also I keep dropping upair combos almost every time. I run out of jumps and can only really get in 1 possibly 2. Knee also is a bit hard for me to setup. Are there any good setups for these?

Sakelig

Smash Rookie
The way i approach with Falcon is a simple SH Nair pas them, and when i land behind them when they shield i either continue running past them or grap them from behind. I have only meet bad ppl online, so i dont know if this actuly work vs ppl that knows what they are doing : p

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I was a Falcon main in Melee but abandoned our man in Brawl. I'm Falcon back, baby!

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
The way i approach with Falcon is a simple SH Nair pas them, and when i land behind them when they shield i either continue running past them or grap them from behind. I have only meet bad ppl online, so i dont know if this actuly work vs ppl that knows what they are doing : p
Yeah, SH nairs are pretty safe, even on shield. It has low lag, and Falcon's jab is fast enough that it can come out faster than the opponent's shield-grab in some cases.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Dash Attack>Uair>Nair>Gentleman Combo is probably the most reliable start to nail off for me thus far, even so much as getting me a spike if I meet them close enough to their edge with the utilt after. I did it to a Robin like 3 matches in a row

LightningLoops

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrayUSA
3DS FC
1092-0083-1620
made it to losers semi-finals at my local tourney. I main Sheik, but switched to my scrubby Capt. Falcon between sets and stayed with him. Looking forward to what this character has to offer.

This is the lighting loops I was talking about. I'm testing this more. So far it seems to be a reliable loop. http://gfycat.com/CleanFairBaboon I will make a thread about this soon.
I approve. ZOOP ZOOP!

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the best way to land the knee imo is to throw it out when you are juggling with up airs because most people will instinctively air dodge when you jump back up, so you can just time that out and punish with some justice xD

Sometimes, I just throw it out, and it works though. You gotta get a feel for it. There aren't a lot of guarantees in the game, though, but I think using it out of juggles or D-throw is your best bet.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm doing really well at the first Smash 4 3DS tournament in WC Canada. Lots of big names like Keitaro, Bladewise, and Blunted Object in attendance.

I shared this in another thread but I wanted to share it here too cause i'm super hyped haha

I beat Blunted Object (Best Melee Player in BC and one of the best in Canada. Ranked in MIOM's Top 100 Melee Players) and knocked him out of the first major WC Canada Smash 4 tournament.

Falcon baby.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Honestly the best way to land the knee imo is to throw it out when you are juggling with up airs because most people will instinctively air dodge when you jump back up, so you can just time that out and punish with some justice xD

Sometimes, I just throw it out, and it works though. You gotta get a feel for it. There aren't a lot of guarantees in the game, though, but I think using it out of juggles or D-throw is your best bet.
you can actually uair into knee for the true combo at about ~30%. But yeah, you can catch their air dodge with knee as well which is super satisfying.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i got 11/64 at Onslaught...really bummed out with my performance. Lost to a Duck Hunt and Sheik RIP

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I've cracked my ds screen from a clock dropping on it (dont ask) I can still play but there is a giant black spot in the middle of the screen. I've actually managed to play for glory decently with this lol.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
How big is that spot? If it's in the exact middle of the screen, you can probably work around it, yeah.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
How big is that spot? If it's in the exact middle of the screen, you can probably work around it, yeah.
Its not that big, but any aerial is basically a gamble since i cannot see animations. Luckily falcon has true combos so i just gotta worry about inputs. The only ****ty part really is it wasn't my ds, it was a friends and it got damaged on accident on my watch so I offered to pay for the repairs :L

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually think Falcon is the universally most used character this time around.

I see way people that use/second/main him than either Mac, Sheik, ZSS, Yoshi or even Bowser.

Oddly enough the only other character I see nearly as frequently is Ganondorf.

Top Bottom