• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Wavedash Questions

FatTurtleGamez

Smash Rookie
Hello world! I don’t really know what the rules and stuff are for posting, but I’m a fresh and inexperienced melee player who is starting to wavedash. I’ve got it about 80% with a lot of characters, but Falco is being exasperatingly difficult, and he happens to be my main...
Any helpers on falco’s wavedash and/or wavedashing in general?
Thanks guys.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
If you jump, you pressed L/R too early or didn't press it at all. If you visibly leave the ground then airdodge back down rather than just sliding, you pressed L/R too late. See which one you do and adjust accordingly until you get it right.

Falco's wavedash timing is pretty slow (5 frame jumpsquat) so it's easy enough, and since you can wavedash with other characters, chances are you're going too fast. I suspect that is likely to be a problem people face when starting off since they might just be going as fast as they can for the characters with shorter jumpsquats, so they have to learn to actively slow down, which is kinda hard with a technique like a wavedash where you're pressing 2 buttons pretty much in one motion.

Jumpsquat durations
3 frames: Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, Samus, Sheik
4 frames: Captain Falcon, Doctor Mario, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Mr Game & Watch, Ness, Young Link
5 frames: Donkey Kong, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy, Yoshi
6 frames: Ganon, Link, Zelda
8 frames: Bowser

Last edited:

FatTurtleGamez

Smash Rookie
If you jump, you pressed L/R too early or didn't press it at all. If you visibly leave the ground then airdodge back down rather than just sliding, you pressed L/R too late. See which one you do and adjust accordingly until you get it right.

Falco's wavedash timing is pretty slow (5 frame jumpsquat) so it's easy enough, and since you can wavedash with other characters, chances are you're going too fast. I suspect that is likely to be a problem people face when starting off since they might just be going as fast as they can for the characters with shorter jumpsquats, so they have to learn to actively slow down, which is kinda hard with a technique like a wavedash where you're pressing 2 buttons pretty much in one motion.

Jumpsquat durations
3 frames: Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, Samus, Sheik
4 frames: Captain Falcon, Doctor Mario, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Mr Game & Watch, Ness, Young Link
5 frames: Donkey Kong, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy Yoshi
6 frames: Ganon, Link, Zelda
8 frames: Bowser
Thanks! I just saw this message, and I see my problem. I was thinking that as falco is a clone of fox, he would have the same wavedash attributes, but I guess not. I’ll tell you if it helped.

Top Bottom