• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco, the honest character

claudiepie

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I saw from several videos that if you're able to beat people online with Falco, you are good enough to enter tournaments and know the fundamentals of super smash brothers for wii u. Is this true? I currently have a 50% ratio on my for glory win status. I haven't gone to a local tournament yet, I'm kind of reluctant since I'm from New Mexico and I don't thin there's that many tournaments near by.

Oh yea, so I've seen a few streams from Fow on twitch.tv showing that he's pretty good, what does everyone thing?

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Not true. Online players aren't the same kind of players in tournament.
Tournament players are more skilled on average than online players, not only that, but there are no latency issues or anything like that. It will be an adjustment, but that's okay. Honestly, you should never go to your first tourney and expect to win the whole thing. The first few times you should just be getting used to the whole experience of going to tornaments.

Falco is very good, he's got his issues, but overall after the latest buffs to his aerials, he's super solid.

claudiepie

Smash Rookie
Not true. Online players aren't the same kind of players in tournament.
Tournament players are more skilled on average than online players, not only that, but there are no latency issues or anything like that. It will be an adjustment, but that's okay. Honestly, you should never go to your first tourney and expect to win the whole thing. The first few times you should just be getting used to the whole experience of going to tornaments.

Falco is very good, he's got his issues, but overall after the latest buffs to his aerials, he's super solid.
Thanks. Yea i dont expect to go to one and get 1st place or anything. I found a local meetup here on facebook but now i need to bug my friends and see if they can come with me.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The thing with Falco is that he's a good character to test if you're able to beat people with a somewhat sub-par character that has no "easy win" button, but he can still be cheesy as hell. "PEW PEW PEW."

As someone who used to play Falco pretty heavily, and runs into a lot of them in FG too, Falco is not exactly simple or someone you can throw into a match and rely on frame data with, so yeah, he's kinda "honest" in that sense, but he's still pretty cheesy in the hands of a lot of bad players - it's not impossible to win in FG as him if you're bad. I'd say, playing as a juxtaposition of characters gives you a better idea of if you're good or not, because if you're not stuck to one play-style and still winning, it generally means you're pretty good at the game - you know what your character needs to do to win, and that's a big deal.

That being said, as near everyone will tell you, FG and tournament scenes are a whole different deal. Most notably the stages aren't so... -stale... -and that's something you have to get used to. Not everyone is gonna be playing the same, so I think the real challenge is to try and beat a few players who have attended, or at the very least compete in a local, friendly deal, and just see how you go from there.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
Having gone to a few locals and played Falco, here's my take on it:

You're going to be nervous the first time. More nervous and jittery than you think. You're going to make really stupid mistakes, and that's okay. It's to be expected, adrenaline does that to ya. Take some headphones, listen to music while you play. I've found this helps with nerves a lot.

Going to tournaments means 2 things. (1) You want to get better and (2) You want to connect with the community. Neither of those two things require you to win. Even if you go 0-2 and are out round 1 of pools, whatever. It's always better the second time.

Speaking of second, pick up a secondary. Falco's really solid, but he has his fair share of bad matchups. If your locals are anything like mine, you'll be playing a lot of different characters. Find a secondary to cover your weaknesses, and practice with both them and Falco. Be prepared for pretty standard matchups (Mario/luigi, Captain Falcon, Link, etc.) that you are likely to see in pools. I try to always throw Falco out first, just to see how it goes, but that's just me.

Remember to talk to people, get in early for friendlies, and have fun. That's the entire point. Good luck.

BlazingRamen

Smash Rookie
On my first tournament, I used grounded side b on one of the Town and City platforms (it was supposed to be a shorthop) got caught in the endlag, and lost the stock, and eventually the match. I did somehow end up scraping two wins in that tournament, so I did end up doing a bit better than I anticipated. Just remember to have fun and use it as a learning experience. And don't be afraid to take constructive criticism.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Not really. For Glory is completely different than live tournaments for a variety of reasons.
1. Some characters thrive in lag more than others. For example, some characters like Samus and Zelda do pretty well online because they can throw out moves that are not that safe and lag makes it harder to punish certain things. Offline these are two of the worst characters in the game. Likewise, Sheik is widely considered the best character, but she's very difficult to play online because of her precise timing. So you might be able to destroy sheik's online, but meet one IRL and it's a whole different story. Falco is actually better online than offline, because of his decent frame data allowing him to sneak in attacks that wouldn't otherwise work.

2. For Glory is all Omega stages. In tournaments you'll have to deal with stages like Town and City and Duck Hunt, which are a completely different dynamic and benefit certain characters way more.

3. For Glory players are more likely to play "their favorite character" rather than the good characters. Online, you might find lots of Kirbys, Little Macs, and Links, but in a real tournament, you're much likely to see lots of Diddys, Sheiks, Marios and ZSS. Now of course there are some high tiers that are popular online, like Yoshi and Sonic, but overall you'll lack practice against the characters for whom you need it the most.

4. And then of course, the skill level is just way lower on For Glory. The biggest thing I noticed is that people online are terrible at edgeguarding. Some of them don't even try to do it. When you play Falco against competent players, you start to learn very quickly how bad his recovery is.

Top Bottom