• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Falco Tech Compilation (Open to Tech Suggestions)

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, NeverKillAgain here. In this thread I will be compiling all of Falco's tech, with the help of people like you and the Falco Discord. Please post anything that isn't on here so I can add it later. Hopefully it can be used to help develop the Falco metagame as well as give info to players.

I will be trying to compile ALL Falco specific techs; "useless" or not.

By tech I do not mean combos or kill percents. I will also be crediting people who I know discovered the tech.

Tech #1 - Ledge Hop Laser: If you drop from ledge then IMMEDIATELY jump and shoot a laser, Falco will shoot a laser at a short height and then regrab the ledge. (Edit: You don’t have to buffer a jump, it can be delayed a bit while being combined with a buffered laser to shoot shorter gounded opponents). Laser height can be varied slightly by changing the timing of the laser shot; for example, buffer a laser after the jump for the lowest height, but wait for a few frames and you can shoot it a bit higher. This can be used for stalling on ledge and could be used as a possible mixup. It isn't safe though, your opponent can easily punish you. However, most people don't expect it. It can also be B-reversed for potential gimps offstage, or simply followups after you regrab ledge.

EDIT: Additionally, you can pull a Mang0 and Ledge Hop Laser onto the stage WITH NO LAG. It is quite difficult though, especially if you are going for the lowest laser height. You can also Ledge Hop Laser onto the two lower platforms of Battlefield, with lag. Keep in mind, however, that it’s not safe my guy.
Credit: NeverKillAgain

Tech #2- Up-smash at Ledge: Falco can Up-smash most (all?) characters while they are hanging on the ledge. However, you have to be standing a very specific distance away. Some characters get hit with the full Up-smash, others get stage spiked. More info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmpWuVDgPau1tMm3PXkuBjUzw6OS7WmWEEalGaQaRYo/htmlview#gid=0

Credit: AviaRy

Tech #3- Frame Cancelled Nair: Falco can SH Nair and receive practically no lag by fastfalling during the third hit of his Nair. Mashing fastfall usually does not work. To run immediately after frame cancelling, it is best to just hold forward right after you fastfall. This allows setups like FC Nair > Dair to be possible mixups, at relevant percents.

Tech #4- Frame Cancelled Dair: The infamous Falco tech that sparked interest in frame canceling in Smash 4. The timing is quite difficult, and therefore hard to explain, but you want to do it just before the peak of your shorthop. Here is Kyle's video about it so he can explain it better: https://youtu.be/wMuwiGEzzgE

Credit: IzawSmash

Tech #5- Auto-cancel Fire Bird: Basically, you can autocancel Fire Bird at a very specific height. It is easier on Town and City and Smashville since all you have to do is run off the right platforms and immediately Up-B straight horizontally. It doesn't need to be done on those stages, but the height is very specific, so it makes it much easier. Luckily, those are two of the most common stages in competitive Sm4sh. Example (NOT MY VIDEO): https://youtu.be/hsjtmJH7qjU

Tech #6- Boomerang Fire Bird: If you hit the stage at a very specific angle when doing Fire Bird, you will slide along it. You can then input another direction to go that way. Example (NOT MY VIDEO): https://youtu.be/Rlvu85SNrNE

Tech #7- Falco Rapid Jab Cancel: Like some other characters, Falco can cancel his rapid jab while facing edge by finishing it early. Here are two helpful resources: https://youtu.be/ox3B83a5gN4 and https://youtu.be/K1gk1M4ubnk

Tech #8- Perfect Airdodge Landing/Short Hop Airdodge (PADL/SHAD): It's simple. Buffer a short hop airdodge and then input an aerial right before you land so it autocancels, giving you no lag. You can do any move after landing.

Other Tips and Tricks

Just some info that didn't qualify as true "tech".

Tip #1- Falco Phantasm: Press jump then immdiately Side-B to Short Hop Phantasm. Falco will have less endlag than if he just used Phantasm on the ground. Offstage Phantsasm has even lower endlag than SH Phantasm. If you hit a midair opponent during your aerial Phantasm, your opponent will be spiked. Because of this, if an opponent is on the ledge, hold down while using Phantasm to avoid grabbing the ledge so you can spike them if their invincibility runs out.

Tip #2- Perfect Pivot Up-tilt: Combos into many of his aerials, including Bair, which kills insanely early.

Tip #3- Perfect Pivot Down Tilt: This can provide immense shield pressure, as it is disjointed, fast, and has little lag. It is very good at shield poking as well, and the perfect pivot increases it’s already amazing spacing potential. Could also potentially cover roll-ins, although your opponents has to be a bit far away, since Falco’s perfect pivot isn’t that big.

Tip #4- Landing Up-air = Melee Shine: Landing Uair can combo into ALL of Falco's aerials if you get the right hitbox for each one. You'd be surprised, the hit that launches almost straight up (opposed to diagonal) combos until very late percents. Note: Falco's Up-air has 3 hitboxes; if you hit it from behind it launches diagonally backwards; if you hit it in front then it launches diagonally upwards; and the third hitbox is near the middle of the attack, and launches ALMOST straight up. That is what I meant by "the hit that launches almost staright up".

Tip #5- Shine Platform Coverage: If your opponent somehow lands on a platform while in tumble, use Falco's Reflector (Shine) for a lock attempt for more option coverage. If they miss the tech, Shine locks, and you can follow up. If they tech-roll away, the Shine hits them and forces an untechable pratfall at certain percents; if it doesnt make them pratfall, you still get some damage in. If they tech-roll in, you get may be able to get an extra 5%. It's free damage, so why not?

Tip #6- Laser Sliding: If you do a single foxtrot, then buffer a laser and hold forward, Falco will slide forward a TINY bit (about 1/2 the length of his Perfect Pivot). Not really useful, but still possible. If you are the type of person who likes to approach with lasers (for some reason LOL) then you might want to use this tech. Every bit of distance counts! Fox and Kirby can also do this.

Tip #7- Fire Bird Inertia: When used in the air, Fire Bird keeps some of your momentum, allowing you to slide along in the air for a bit. Remember this when recovering. Example (NOT MY VIDEO): https://gfycat.com/RecklessChillyDrafthorse

Tip #8- Jab > Up-smash: On Mewtwo, Ness, and Lucas, this is a kill confirm. More info (NOT MINE): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PvzThhqxwiXurGuzzggRjN1EAXFQOrOwL7CztCphyA8/edit?usp=sharing

Make sure to comment your thoughts down below, or tell me something I missed/incorrect information. Thanks, and have a nice day!

Last edited:

iiJjRr

Smash Apprentice
There was a tech found by a user on YouTube that is similar to Pluck Gliding/Sliding. The same inputs apply with this video. This works with Fox and Falco.

Video

Last edited:

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
There was a tech found by a user on YouTube that is similar to Pluck Gliding/Sliding. The same inputs apply with this video. This works with Fox and Falco.

Video
Thanks for the submission!

Anyways, if what you are saying is true, this could be HUGE for the Falco metagame since he has such a hard time approaching. Can the distance be controlled?

I'll share this with the Discord and then do some of my own testing later. Hopefully this works on 3DS. Once it's confirmed, I'll immediately add it.

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
Try B-Reversing it. Could be a potentially viable moment option if it's possible.
The B-reverse would make you lose distance, and a turnaround wouldn't do anything. You would have to wavebounce it. But a wavebounce laser with so little distance and momentum wouldn't do anything. Also, laser has a lot of lag.

Last edited:

Bob

Banned via Warnings
True. It's unfortunate how much they nerfed those options in this game. Now, both lazers are nigh-useless, and only serve the niche purpose of inflicting chip-damage when camping.

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
True. It's unfortunate how much they nerfed those options in this game. Now, both lazers are nigh-useless, and only serve the niche purpose of inflicting chip-damage when camping.
Wrong, actually. Fox's lasers can be used to safely pressure, and can also do 3% when fresh up close. They also fill his stale move queue. I would rather have Fox lasers than what Falco has currently. Laser locking is rare anyways, even rarer than locks in general. Ofc, Melee/Brawl lasers would be optimal, but that won't happen, especially not now.

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I've found this weird tech you can do with Falco (it also works for Fox too, but Fox doesn't exactly need any more techs, so I'm posting it here). It's mostly useless, but it does have some minor usage. (Also it might already be known, but I don't think it is).

OK so you know how when using FIre Bird, whether your overall angle is to the left or the right determines which way Falco will face during the move and when the move ends? Well if you input in the opposite direction just before Falco takes off (e.g. if you are about to fly diagonally to the left, hold right just before he takes off), he will still fly in the direction you had inputted prior to this new direction input, but he will face the other way, both during the flight and when the flight ends. With practise, you can nail the timing consistently. So here's what I'm thinking this could be used for: when trying to recover from behind the ledge with Fire Bird, you are forced to face away from the ledge during the flight, reducing your ledge grab range (even after the move ends), however if you use this trick, you can still fly in the same direction, but face towards the ledge instead of away, making it easier to snap the ledge, and less likely that you'll SD

I can't really think of anything else you can use it for, but there it is. Probably useless but hey...

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
iiJjRr iiJjRr no. What I'm talking about isn't anything to do with changing the direction of flight, it's forcing Falco to face the opposite direction to the way he is flying.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The video actually uses the same trick you're describing. You can B-reverse the takeoff portion of Fox/Falco upB as well as the charge, and if you B-reverse the takeoff (what you're describing), it allows you to boomerang when hitting the ground at a certain angle, rather than skidding forward.

Using it for increased ledge grab range when recovering from under the stage is an interesting and practical application I hadn't thought of.

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
Ok so I've found this weird tech you can do with Falco (it also works for Fox too, but Fox doesn't exactly need any more techs, so I'm posting it here). It's mostly useless, but it does have some minor usage. (Also it might already be known, but I don't think it is).

OK so you know how when using FIre Bird, whether your overall angle is to the left or the right determines which way Falco will face during the move and when the move ends? Well if you input in the opposite direction just before Falco takes off (e.g. if you are about to fly diagonally to the left, hold right just before he takes off), he will still fly in the direction you had inputted prior to this new direction input, but he will face the other way, both during the flight and when the flight ends. With practise, you can nail the timing consistently. So here's what I'm thinking this could be used for: when trying to recover from behind the ledge with Fire Bird, you are forced to face away from the ledge during the flight, reducing your ledge grab range (even after the move ends), however if you use this trick, you can still fly in the same direction, but face towards the ledge instead of away, making it easier to snap the ledge, and less likely that you'll SD

I can't really think of anything else you can use it for, but there it is. Probably useless but hey...
Sorry for the late reply. I’m not sure how this would increase Falco’s ledge grab range, since magnet hands are usually larger in the front. I would test but I haven’t gotten my hands on my 3DS in a while, I’ll check soon though. Also, if anyone has a render of Falco’s magnet hands please DM me a link.

TheLobsterCopter5000 TheLobsterCopter5000 do you have any videos of this tech?

Top Bottom