• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
From what I have been told, there is no way to make normal moves have velocity right? I've noticed that adding dash attack animations to Jabs, seems to carry the velocity, and some specific animations put on the dash attack move carry forward momentum. So is there some kind of data inside the animation, or the dash attack move that does this? Also is there any way to replicated that data for the purpose of adding velocity to other moves?
Yeah there is functionality in Melee to change the characters position from an animation. The animation seems to contain the data to move the character's position, but there is a flag to make it update the actual position in the dol subaction table. IIRC, 0x4 of the subaction table is a 32-bit bitfield containing various flags about the move's behavior. Bit 0x80 controls whether or not to change player postition/physics from the animation.

Example of this being turned off on an animation that normally has it on:

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to fake a damage value for the sole purpose of hitstun or blockstun on a by-move-basis? It'd be cool to have the stun of an 100 damage move without winning the game in one other move.

flooblob

Smash Rookie
I think this was requested in the old Master Hand thread too, but have you considered adding a feature to export character data as JSON or something (including all subactions)? So they can be displayed easily on a website for example. Maybe just put in a single button in the menu "dump all data"?

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
You can sort of fake this with character data modifications.

Have a look at Achilles's OP for the custom subaction event syntax:

I highly recommend experimenting with this event. You can reference the SSBM Data Sheet in order to see what many of the internal player data offsets have available for manipulation.

This is what I came up with:

F8FF0014 03000084 3F600000 02012218 FFFFF7FF

F8 - parse opcode (leave these 2 as they are to define "character data modification" event)
FF - function

0014 - this event is 0x14 in length (20 bytes; 5 event lines)

03 - value is float data type
00 - overwrite old value with new value
0084 - self-made vertical velocity value is at internal player data offset 0x84
3F600000 - write "0.875" to float at 0x84

02 - value is 32-bit word
01 - we are using new value as a bitwise AND mask to turn off a specific flag
2218 - fastfall flag is contained within internal player data word 0x2218
FFFFF7FF - bitwise AND FFFFF7FF with word at 0x2218 to turn off 00000800 flag

---

All together, it resets the fastfall flag and overwrites the player's self-made velocity with a value that gives them a slight bump upwards. It nullifies the previous vertical velocity that was caused by player actions.

You can add it pretty easily to Mewtwo's N-air by replacing a GFX event before his hitbox loop:

Is it possible to use this to make a dive kick? One that moves slightly forward and down?

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
Is it possible to use this to make a dive kick? One that moves slightly forward and down?
Sure. The offsets for self-made X and Y velocity are 0x0080 and 0x0084.

Try something like F8FF0014 03800080 40000000 03000084 C0200000
The first edit sets self X velocity to 2.0, and the second edit sets Y velocity to -2.5

This includes a special flag in the X edit that reverses the direction when changing your facing. It'll make the dive kick always "forward," like this:

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
Sure. The offsets for self-made X and Y velocity are 0x0080 and 0x0084.

Try something like F8FF0014 03800080 40000000 03000084 C0200000
The first edit sets self X velocity to 2.0, and the second edit sets Y velocity to -2.5

This includes a special flag in the X edit that reverses the direction when changing your facing. It'll make the dive kick always "forward," like this:

Lovely! Thanks so much! Um, so if I wanted to edit the velocity, what does 40000000 and C0200000 mean?

Last edited:

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
That would be 2.0 and -2.5 as floating point numbers, in hexadecimal. They represent X and Y velocities, respectively.

I use a tool in Melee Code Manager to generate floating points, but you can also use an online calculator:

So I have been playing around with this code a lot, it's super cool (thanks so much) but I just did something I've done in the past but never tried to fix, and would like help please! So I was trying to set a value to 0 and forgot that that usually deletes the bytes or something, how would I go about getting those back?

For example: I used the exact code above over a Shiek Dair hitbox and set the X velocity to 0, and it got rid of everything leaving only F8FF0014 03800080 and then the move data ends. Would I have to unpack my ISO and somehow find the move data in hex and try to fill in what I assume is now empty space? I'm not sure where the rest of the space went, probably around 28 bytes worth lol.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Does anyone have information on what the second byte of "flags 2" is used for? I am seeing that when the x80 bit is set to 0 for one of Nana's action states, the game will disconnect her from Popo. I am wondering what else it's used for (if anything)...

Last edited:

TheSocialZombie

Smash Cadet
can someone make a list of all possible action states for all specials? (stuff like Kirby's EatTurn)? I need it for a modpack.

Also, what does the hitbox id, hitbox interaction, and hurtbox interaction mean?

Also also, why is it that whenever I do a frame speed modifier thingy and I export it or make a new frame speed modifier, it resets all the action states to escape air?

Last edited:

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
Anyone know if it's possible to make mewtwo do 1.5x damage when he has a fully charged Neutral B? I know he has a graphic effect on his hand so the game must have some idea of when it is being held.

LinklightTV jr

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody.

This is Crazy Hand. It is a character editing program for Melee that allows you to quickly and easily edit things such as character attributes, hitboxes, subactions, and more.

The program is now pretty self explanatory. All you need to do is acquire a melee ISO and open it with Crazy Hand. From there, edit whatever you want and press save when done.

Please note! Crazy Hand is a java program, meaning that it is a .JAR file instead of a .EXE file. double click it just like you would any other executable file to run the program. If you have a program like WinRAR installed on your computer, double clicking it may try to open it as an archive file. You don't want this, so instead right click it >> Open with >> Java Platform Binary. This may vary slightly by operating system, but the general process is the same.

The entire project is open source and code is being maintained on GitHub. If you would like to take a look at it and potentially contribute, here's the link to our page: Crazy Hand GitHub

Huge thanks to Tater and darkside1222 for the code that they have both contributed to this project.
In addition I'd like to say major thanks to everybody else who has supported us on this project so far. This includes, but is not limited to Stratocaster, Achilles1515, DRGN, Magus, Itaru, LanceInThePants...
You guys have all been incredible help to me on this project. Not all of you directly helped me, but the amount of research and documentation that I read from many of you has just been unbelievably helpful. I would be nowhere without you guys. You rock!

Here is the download link: Crazy Hand v1.31

If you have any questions/comments/bug reports, please feel free to let us know.
the icon doesent change and i cant open it

TheSocialZombie

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to make it so kirby's throws can't be escaped?

Also what are all the move logic stuff? And how can I make a move make the character go up, down, left or right?

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Is it possible to make it so kirby's throws can't be escaped?

Also what are all the move logic stuff? And how can I make a move make the character go up, down, left or right?
I replied to someone else about Kirbycides here: https://smashboards.com/threads/disable-escaping-from-kirby-throws-and-kirbycide.454066/

They indicate what a move does or how it acts under certain situations. For example, Fox's Shine move logic functions let him jump cancel it. If you wanted to make Falcon or Ganon's Side-B not fall off of edges for example, you'd swap his collision interrupt with his Dash Attack's collision interrupt, since that move doesn't make him fall (unless he holds towards the stage).

AxelShaped

Smash Rookie
NNID
abdan60
Hey I went to Player Common Values and now grabs freezes player models. Is there anyway to fix it?

Max Number of frames of hitstun 15

Damage Multiplier for frames of hit stun 0.333

Base Hitstun 0

Hitsun Multiplier On Crouching(?) 0.667

Electric Element Hitstun Multiplier

The most I need to fix this is probably a screen shot of the natural settings for these.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Hey I went to Player Common Values and now grabs freezes player models. Is there anyway to fix it?

Max Number of frames of hitstun 15

Damage Multiplier for frames of hit stun 0.333

Base Hitstun 0

Hitsun Multiplier On Crouching(?) 0.667

Electric Element Hitstun Multiplier

The most I need to fix this is probably a screen shot of the natural settings for these.
As easy as using a clean, vanilla ISO:
1532212343042.png

Last edited:

Goodly

Smash Rookie
This program used to work for me when I had windows 8.1. Now I'm on windows 10 and it doesn't work. It runs, but when I select the melee iso it just closes and nothing happens. Using Super Smash Bros. Melee (USA) (v1.02)

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I need to install the latest java?

Edit: latest java no luck. Maybe an older version instead? Any help appreciated.

Edit2: Got it to work by actually setting java to be the default way to open the .jar, instead of right clicking and open with java platform SE binary.

Last edited:

AxelShaped

Smash Rookie
NNID
abdan60
I don't think anyone is here, honestly I have just been experimenting with stuff. so far on my own I can make Pikachu's Electrical hitboxes aim the enemies to him. I really would like to help you but I'm kinda new to this a bit but I'll try what I can experiment with. Honestly I could finally work on Captain Falcon On my Modpack,

Bl4ke

Smash Rookie
I am able to edit both the atributes and player specific atributes on falco, but if i click on subactions (both attack only and all) i am greeted to this screen:

Then the game essentially crashes, not letting me change character or switch editing menus.

Im not sure what subaction is shown here because the list of subactions is blank.

but it has a hitbox so that is some clue.

What exactly is wrong? no matter what dat file i use it does this. it doesent matter the iso or the dat file

i really need to fix this because it is holding my project back.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Frame Speed Modifier doesn't seem to be working for me. I added:
to decrease startup on Bowser's UAir and it still has way too much startup. I've tested FSmash on 100x speed, and it behaves like it's 1x speed. Any ideas?

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Frame Speed Modifier doesn't seem to be working for me. I added:
to decrease startup on Bowser's UAir and it still has way too much startup. I've tested FSmash on 100x speed, and it behaves like it's 1x speed. Any ideas?
You're supposed to put the multiplier of 1 on frame 22, not frame 25. The hitboxes start on frame 22 so if you put it on frame 25 you'll skip frames of the hitboxes. If FSMs don't work at all on that ISO, try using a vanilla ISO.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
You're supposed to put the multiplier of 1 on frame 22, not frame 25. The hitboxes start on frame 22 so if you put it on frame 25 you'll skip frames of the hitboxes. If FSMs don't work at all on that ISO, try using a vanilla ISO.
I used a PAL ROM, and apparently Crazy Hand doesn't support FSM, freezes when you open Move Logic, and not be able to edit any of Kirby's moves if you have a PAL ROM. I got an NTSC ROM and it works perfectly fine.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
How can i use another characters' animations with Mario? I want to use Fox's starting dash, run, idle and up-smash with Mario, i remember doing it once but i'm not sure how i did it.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
How can i use another characters' animations with Mario? I want to use Fox's starting dash, run, idle and up-smash with Mario, i remember doing it once but i'm not sure how i did it.
I don't think you've done that unless you really know about modding. You can't do moveset swaps between different characters without re-mapping bones manually.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's right, now that i actually found the iso i was toying with i saw that it was just an animation that looks almost the same between all characters, but it's alright because i already found somewhat fitting animations on Mario.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I got a nice feature suggestion: Duplicate character data and paste it over any other character, everything is carried over and the only thing left would be to do some file replacing and you essentially get MeleeEX without new slots, but at least you would be able to model import over any character slot, so you can replace a crappy character no one likes with a new and cooler one.

So essentially you can push a button and select another character to put all the moveset and movement data over the other one, can you do it?

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
I got a nice feature suggestion: Duplicate character data and paste it over any other character, everything is carried over and the only thing left would be to do some file replacing and you essentially get MeleeEX without new slots, but at least you would be able to model import over any character slot, so you can replace a crappy character no one likes with a new and cooler one.

So essentially you can push a button and select another character to put all the moveset and movement data over the other one, can you do it?
Ampers is pretty dead for now. Has been, for a long time. Not only that, but I'm very doubtful about this feature making it in, especially in something so small as Crazy Hand. I'd assume duplicating a character's data and pasting it into another character would take some time, and it doesn't sound as easy as you make it out to be...

Excuse me?
Replace a crappy character no one likes with a new and cooler one?
Unless this is a joke, I don't think anyone would want their favorite character to be replaced unless it's just for fun and as a silly idea. If this edit was part of a mod, it would get a lot of backslash, unless the purpose of the mod is to replace everyone with another character or something like that. No character isn't loved in Smash. As for the model import part, that's pretty much Zankyou's job right now, since only he has the tools to work with that. We do have a public model import tool, but it's not stable and only works over Mario, and even then the bones might be ****ed, plus no expressions; just a soulless model import.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
It's more for personal use and as an alternative download to a skin if prefered, i wouldn't really force it on anyone else if they like their character.

And it's A-Ok if you don't like such a thing, to be honest i was expecting something like that.

EDIT: Actually if you know the bone IDs you can easily add more characters to the importer, there was one for Captain Falcon and Samus but i can't find the files anymore

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
It's more for personal use and as an alternative download to a skin if prefered, i wouldn't really force it on anyone else if they like their character.

And it's A-Ok if you don't like such a thing, to be honest i was expecting something like that.

EDIT: Actually if you know the bone IDs you can easily add more characters to the importer, there was one for Captain Falcon and Samus but i can't find the files anymore
You can do that, but only because of their height, and even then stuff like Samus' cannon arm will look weird on Falcon if you port her moves on him. The tool you're talking about was just for universal moveset swap edits, not for the model importer as far as I know.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
That universal moveset swap edit thing sounds cool, but no, you can actually add characters to the model importer (the dev even said it himself), but i don't know the exact procedure (i might ask zankyou for this one)

And i got a much better idea, just have a code let you choose to switch to the custom clone/alt character by pressing R (or L) the only real downsides to this is that it's not very obvious to know this method of character choosing, that the announcer will keep refering to the clone character as if he was the original character and that you can't have both the clone character and the original character in the same fight, but it's much better than not being able to switch between the two.

Has the code i mentioned above (in 20XX it's to switch to the PAL/SD Remix alt) been released?

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
That universal moveset swap edit thing sounds cool, but no, you can actually add characters to the model importer (the dev even said it himself), but i don't know the exact procedure (i might ask zankyou for this one)

And i got a much better idea, just have a code let you choose to switch to the custom clone/alt character by pressing R (or L) the only real downsides to this is that it's not very obvious to know this method of character choosing, that the announcer will keep refering to the clone character as if he was the original character and that you can't have both the clone character and the original character in the same fight, but it's much better than not being able to switch between the two.

Has the code i mentioned above (in 20XX it's to switch to the PAL/SD Remix alt) been released?
As far as I know, no, and even if it was, a lot more things would be involved.

Top Bottom