• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falco Social (Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just looking at that picture makes the Star Fox team look like living stuffed animals with all that fur sticking out (aside from Slippy, of course).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Just looking at that picture makes the Star Fox team look like living stuffed animals with all that fur sticking out (aside from Slippy, of course).
Maybe that's their plan considering the puppets they used for that presentation once? Still, I kind of like Command's art style more kind of like how I like how Sonic games don't really go with having real fur and it just feels fun and cartoon-y... Sonic Boom is actually a good cartoon, right? Maybe I should watch it sometime.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It seems I'm still subbed to this thread. I like when the space animals look more like real animals; it adds to the campiness. Star Fox Zero is headed back in the right direction.

The big head thing they used for a while looks bad.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It seems I'm still subbed to this thread. I like when the space animals look more like real animals; it adds to the campiness. Star Fox Zero is headed back in the right direction.

Meanwhile, Falco's head which randomly changes shapes and sizes like almost all the time, but we excuse it as Falco's different hairstyle. Also, Nintendo and Smash's developers argue over his flappy wings: they're long and spindly when Nintendo's involved, but flat and fat when Smash's developers are involved. Also, height and "weight". Falco goes from being muscular-like in 64, lean in Adventure and Melee, anorexic in Assault, lean in Command, Brawl, and Smash 4, and this big-headed bird thing in Zero. :p

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

I do like Brawl Fox better than Melee Fox in terms of design.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Found it again! I like how Falco has a normal, kind of awesome-looking run in Star Fox Zero that mirrors his Star Fox 64 run. Even Assault had him run cooler than in Brawl and Smash 4. See, Nintendo and Platinum Games knows what's up when it comes to cool running animations.

This image also puts into perspective that Falco is still really, really tall. I'd actually be okay with Falco being taller in Smash, but they might have to change some things since he looks almost ZSS-height which would make him a large target. Welp, here's hoping Smash 5 uses Zero's designs and 64/Zero's running animation for Falco. Seriously, never got why he ran so weirdly. It looks fine for Sheik since she's running really fast and it's a variation - Fox, Greninja, and Sonic have the other with their arms hanging back - of how a stereotypical ninja would run and it's also fine in Melee since none of the Melee clones had unique running animations, but Falco's runs really slowly, so it looks really out of place in my opinion. A "fix" would be to swap it so his right arm is in back instead of in front so it'll look like he's always ready to draw his Blaster. That being said, I'd rather he run like a "normal" person like Ryu and Snake. For one, it looks less goofy, especially since he's not running fast and two, it could be a throwback to Star Fox 64's cutscene of the Star Fox crew running.
This look is a little too... furry for me lol.

But I definitely agree on the dash animation

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Fal.jpg

I'm not into competitive play or anything, but, I love Falco, so I decided to draw him today. :) I'm an artist in training.

Do not use my work without asking my permission, please? :)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man, I have a highlight saved where I gimped my opponent with a Nair and had a spike as well.

Bird Brain is dangerous in the air

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This was the only time I ever spiked somebody with Falco. lol
This match took place back in September, before the Mario Maker stage was added.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
This was the only time I ever spiked somebody with Falco. lol
This match took place back in September, before the Mario Maker stage was added.

I've gotten a few Falco spikes in Smash 4, but none against good players. Most of them were on slow and vulnerable recoveries like Beat and Duck Jump.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
It's not but it's all conditioning lol but when you hit someone with it it's a good feeling.

BlazingRamen

Smash Rookie
I've gotten plenty of people, even decent players, actually. It might have something to do with me being a labrat. Also, there's plenty on conditioning involved, as stated above. No hard read = no dair.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Has anyone seen the Phantom Lasers?

It's simply Neutral B with a invisible hitbox.

Doesn't sound like a big deal but it does take away the visual cue for airdodging.

Only thing is,..I don't know how to activate this glitch, I have video footage of me using it, and it doesn't go away when you lose a stock. If anyone feels like it's something worth looking into ill post the video.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
This is the Falco Social so I think I can post this here? I went to Best Buy to see if they had any Smash Amiibo's that I didn't have. I already have a good number of them including a Falco Amiibo which is one of my favorites.
I don't think they had any that I already didn't have. Also, there were like 2 or 3 more behind each one.

Last edited:

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
Just found out about the social. Should have been hanging around here foor a while now. :)

View attachment 93445
I'm not into competitive play or anything, but, I love Falco, so I decided to draw him today. :) I'm an artist in training.

Do not use my work without asking my permission, please? :)
Since you posted you fanart, I might as well:
(Inspired by the Brawl pose)

Falco.jpg

Annnd I remember some people from the Wolf DLC site :3 (Looking at you Tino)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Just found out about the social. Should have been hanging around here foor a while now. :)

Since you posted you fanart, I might as well:
(Inspired by the Brawl pose)

View attachment 95111

Annnd I remember some people from the Wolf DLC site :3 (Looking at you Tino)
.o. Wow, amazing! :D

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Something interesting to note is that Falco's upgraded up-smash hits lower than his down tilt, down air and down angled forward tilt. It should be capable of hitting any fighter on the ledge (even Ganondorf who's known for having the lowest ledge hurtbox profile). It has some knockback scaling so it causes stages spikes around 100%.

You can even hit an idle standing Ganondorf with up-smash while on Battlefield's mid platform. Obviously it's pointless but it's quite amusing.

Last edited:

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
.o. Wow, amazing! :D
Thank you, I spent a lot of time on this. Like... a lot of hours

Something interesting to note is that Falco's upgraded up-smash hits lower than his down tilt, down air and down angled forward tilt. It should be capable of hitting any fighter on the ledge (even Ganondorf who's known for having the lowest ledge hurtbox profile). It has some knockback scaling so it causes stages spikes around 100%.

You can even hit an idle standing Ganondorf with up-smash while on Battlefield's mid platform. Obviously it's pointless but it's quite amusing.
I am so happy with buffs for Falco, I just thought they would ignore him again :7
Upgraded UpSmash is sweet, his killing options really needed some love.
Beside there is a small kill power buff on his DownSmash as well (should only kill 2-3 % earlier, but we take everything we can get)
What a day :3

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If only...

Apparently, it'll be 2 more months until Star Fox Zero will be released.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
That depends on the situation, so I'll assume a shield break and a mid to high fall-speed character at 0%.

It would probably be L-canceled dair -> Grab -> Pummel once -> Dthrow -> Soft spot Dair reset -> Dthrow -> Rising Fair -> Double Jump -> Rising Fair or Laser depending on DI.

That's a lot of tech and no room for mistakes. Will likely kill if you hit the second rising Fair. Haven't tested this all the way through personally (obviously, I'm not a TASbot lol) but those moves should connect to each other at the percents they would happen.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Star Fox Zero is supposedly inspired by TV shows... That 70's Show was probably not one of them. :p

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I really don't want to draw attention or anything, but I don't want to leave people wondering what happened.

After next week, I will be retiring as a moderator for the Smash 4 Falco boards and leaving Smashboards for some time. Part of it has to do with personal issues, one of which involves my mother's recent passing piling on top of anxiety, depression, and stress which doesn't help when you're a lost university student still trying to find his way. The other part has to do with feeling that I lost my way with what I intended to do as a Smash 4 Falco moderator and as another member and another representative of the Smash 4 Falco boards and community alongside the Smash community as whole. One thing that comes to mind would be my long-winded and unnecessary ranting of Falco and Smash 4. The goal and the reason why I accepted being a Smash 4 Falco moderator was to try and help the Smash 4 Falco community. Whether that was providing resources, providing information, furthering the development of Falco, or just being there for you all, that's what I intended to do and I feel like I've strayed off that path and failed you all. I feel like with all the ranting and walls upon walls of texts, I've become a poor representative of the Smash 4 Falco community.

Could that have been fixed? Easily; I could just calm down and stop ranting, however, I don't think that's enough. This is where the personal reasons come into play. I need to restructure my life and reevaluate my priorities, what I believe matters to me in life. So, I've decided that taking a break from Smash and Smashboards is something I should do to figure out all of this. While I could have taken a break without retiring as a moderator or completely leaving Smashboards, I don't think it would be proper to be a moderator who's not active. Also, I requested that I be banned to stay off-site, so don't worry about that.

The Falco boards, from Melee to Smash 4, were never that active, but that doesn't matter to me. I do hope, however, the Smash 4 Falco boards can serve as an archive, library, or reference for Falco.

I am proud, honored, and grateful for having a chance to serve and to be a part of this community. Everyone I've met here or watched, Falco players or not, Falco boards or not, has inspired me, given me strength, and made it all worthwhile. So, while I may not be here, know that all my support goes to you all.

For you all, thank you a thousand times over,

- Ffamran

Also, random note: Does anyone kind of wondered would have happened if Falco's Side Special was like this in cutscene?

Melee's Official Guide (book) called his Uair Falco Flip and while Uair is unrelated to this, he really is flipping his opponent into the air. It reminds me of his Gatling combo DACUS in Brawl. Falco Flip as a Side Special... I feel like Falco launching his opponent into the air would fit Falco more than Falco spiking them with Falco Phantasm. Falco Flip could essentially be the same as Falco Phantasm: moves Falco forward in a straight line, but unlike Phantasm where he slashes through, Flip could work like Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost, but function almost like Bayonetta's Heel Slide or ZSS's Flip Jump no input kick. Difference is that Heel Slide hits and stays grounded - Bayonetta needs to use Witch Twist to launch up - and Flip Jump is a spike that foot stools without an input... Actually, it would be more like Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive or Ganondorf's Dark Dive where they follow their opponents up, but in this case, Falco should have lower recovery, perhaps set knockback if necessary, and much lower damage on hit - could still stay as 6% or 7% like Phantasm - than Falcon Dive's 5% + 12%, 17% total or Dark Dive's 1.2% (x4) + 9%, 13.8% total.

The possibilities using Falco Flip as a setup... Great, now I'm pissed they didn't give Falco this move. It could even work as a dash attack where if you hold the button, Falco rises up! :p

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I really don't want to draw attention or anything, but I don't want to leave people wondering what happened.

After next week, I will be retiring as a moderator for the Smash 4 Falco boards and leaving Smashboards for some time. Part of it has to do with personal issues, one of which involves my mother's recent passing piling on top of anxiety, depression, and stress which doesn't help when you're a lost university student still trying to find his way. The other part has to do with feeling that I lost my way with what I intended to do as a Smash 4 Falco moderator and as another member and another representative of the Smash 4 Falco boards and community alongside the Smash community as whole. One thing that comes to mind would be my long-winded and unnecessary ranting of Falco and Smash 4. The goal and the reason why I accepted being a Smash 4 Falco moderator was to try and help the Smash 4 community. Whether that was providing resources, providing information, furthering the development of Falco, or just being there for you all, that's what I intended to do and I feel like I've strayed off that path and failed you all. I feel like with all the ranting and walls upon walls of texts, I've become a poor representative of the Smash 4 Falco community.

Could that have been fixed? Easily; I could just calm down and stop ranting, however, I don't think that's enough. This is where the personal reasons come into play. I need to restructure my life and reevaluate my priorities, what I believe matters to me in life. So, I've decided that taking a break from Smash and Smashboards is something I should do to figure out all of this. While I could have taken a break without retiring as a moderator or completely leaving Smashboards, I don't think it would be proper to be a moderator who's not active. Also, I requested that I be banned to stay off-site, so don't worry about that.

The Falco boards, from Melee to Smash 4, were never that active, but that doesn't matter to me. I do hope, however, the Smash 4 Falco boards can serve as an archive, library, or reference for Falco.

I am proud, honored, and grateful for having a chance serve and to be a part of this community. Everyone I've met here or watched, Falco players or not, Falco boards or not, has inspired me, given me strength, and made it all worthwhile. So, while I may not be here, know that all my support goes to you all.

For you all, thank you a thousand times over,

- Ffamran

Also, random note: Does anyone kind of wondered would have happened if Falco's Side Special was like this in cutscene?

Melee's Official Guide (book) called his Uair Falco Flip and while Uair is unrelated to this, he really is flipping his opponent into the air. It reminds me of his Gatling combo. Falco Flip as a Side Special... I feel like Falco launching his opponent into the air would fit Falco more than Falco spiking them with Falco Phantasm. Falco Flip could essentially be the same as Falco Phantasm: moves Falco forward in a straight line, but unlike Phantasm where he slashes through, Flip could work like Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost, but function almost like Bayonetta's Heel Slide or ZSS's Flip Jump no input kick. Difference is that Heel Slide hits and stays grounded - Bayonetta needs to use Witch Twist to launch up - and Flip Jump is a spike that foot stools without an input... Actually, it would be more like Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive or Ganondorf's Dark Dive where they follow their opponents up, but in this case, Falco should have lower recovery, perhaps set knockback if necessary, and much lower damage on hit - could still stay as 6% or 7% like Phantasm - than Falcon Dive's 5% + 12%, 17% total or Dark Dive's 1.2% (x4) + 9%, 13.8% total.

The possibilities using Falco Flip as a setup... Great, now I'm pissed they didn't give Falco this move. It could even work as a dash attack where if you hold the button, Falco rises up! :p
Sorry to hear about your mom :( I've had close family die in the past and can sympathize. Do what you need to find your way.

Don't worry about the rants, I've gone on long rants before. Giving character information (or caring about anything) is like sending a bottle out to sea; maybe somebody will find it and reply, maybe not :/

^That's Brawl Falco's DACUS btw.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Sorry to hear about your mom :( I've had close family die in the past and can sympathize. Do what you need to find your way.

Don't worry about the rants, I've gone on long rants before. Giving character information (or caring about anything) is like sending a bottle out to sea; maybe somebody will find it and reply, maybe not :/
Thanks, Rizen.

^That's Brawl Falco's DACUS btw.
Eh, I was thinking of Gatling combo because of the whole hit once to combo thing. Gatling combo was so wicked since nobody in Smash has a normal cancellable move and I think not many fighting games have normal cancellable moves. Special cancellable are the most common and I know there are links and "target" combos, but I don't think I've heard about a normal cancellable move. There's also the dealio with some jabs and Lucas and Ness being able to repeat their Dtilts rather than dealing with normal recovery to do another move or stopping. Kind of wished Falco still had his Gatling combo, but because Up Smash kills now... Eh, a frame 8 dash attack to a frame 7 Up Smash isn't all that bad considering how slow Falco moves on the ground... Problem would be the total damage as Falco would be doing 25% with a clean dash attack or 22% with a late dash attack. On-shield, that would be terrifying compared to other moves in general... Still close to Brawl's 23% with a clean dash attack or 20% with a late dash attack, though... I don't know, maybe they could have more normal cancellable moves like Falco and Fox could instead of going into rapid jab, do a Ftilt instead or perhaps Mario and ZSS could do a Ftilt to Dtilt since it would fit the whole whip kick to sweep kick motion. The closest we've got to this would be Lucina and Marth's jab 1 to Ftilt which isn't truly normal cancel, but because of jab 1's low recovery and the damage, knockback, and hit stun it does allowing them to do a "quick" follow with Ftilt.

Anyway, I swear if that scene of Falco in Subspace Emissary was a reference to how DACUS was possible in Brawl... Considering the developers admitted to knowing about wavedashing in Melee and removed DACUS in Smash 4, I bet they knew... Still, and while part of this can be considered as "cutscene powers", I kind of wondered why they made it so Falco jumped after the DACUS and this really makes me wish Falco's Side Special was a DACUS or "Falco Flip" that let Falco launch and setup. Would solve the whole Falco Phantasm is the largest spike in the game and the issue with Falco not having a hitbox in front of him because the last half of Falco Phantasm doesn't have a hitbox, so he can't clank it like Fox can.

Also, today I learned that Falco's side taunt in Japanese is the same as Ken's taunt in 3rd Strike: "Kakatte ki na!", which can be translated as "Come at me!" or "Come on!" Probably a "generic" phrase, but it's interesting if you consider Falco the Ken to Fox's Ryu, but gameplay-wise, it's the opposite. Also, his down taunt in Japanese is hilariously long (to me): "Ore no emono ni te wo dasu na!", which roughly means "Get your hands off my prey!" Which also reminds me, as far as I know, Falco is the only character with a taunt that seems to be directed at other players and not his opponent. His down taunt in English, "Hands off my prey!", which, as noted, is the same in Japanese both seem to be directed at other people and not his opponent, like he's saying, "Don't kill steal!" This is probably a reference to the Star Fox games, especially in Assault as Falco will get irritated if you shoot down his targets. This is interesting as Smash has multiple modes, it's kind of weird how only Falco has a taunt like this while others have taunts directed at their (defeated) opponent. Marth's "Minna, miteite kure!" and Brawl Sonic's "You're too slow!" can be both as they can refer to their opponent like Marth's saying watch me, the one who kicked this person's butt or Sonic saying his opponent is too slow as much as Marth is saying watch me, the one actually doing stuff or Sonic saying everyone else is too slow for not taking a stock. Falco's is just at others since who else is going to kill steal in a 1v1? In doubles where it's teamwork-focused, it wouldn't really make sense for Falco to berate his teammate for kill stealing, but a little tease like Brawl Sonic's would be fine as if encouraging them or saying they really need to step up their game. It's only in FFA where it seems appropriate for Falco to say this is my kill, so back off. Yeah, I'm overthinking this, but it's interesting to me.

Edit: Y'know, I wished someone had this jump back kick...

Considering Falco's dash attack is pretty much nothing but combo filler and a roll punish which you don't really need active frames for, but timing, however active frames help as it can still be active after a roll... Anyway, just seems like a Falco thing to do; a stylish thing for the sake of style. Also, it has spins which Falco loves doing. Speaking of spins, wished his double jump had him spin like his ground jump instead of the somersault.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: That or he could have a "slower" one for a dash attack like this or Crack Shoot and the above in Edit 1 as his Ftilt... Why? 'Cause they look cool and Falco's cool. :p

"Slower", stronger spin back kick for a dash attack.

Crack Shoot.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sorry to hear about that. I'm still deployed and my great grandmother passed, it's an awful feeling.
I understand somewhat how you may feel.

If it's any consolation I want to thank you for all the work you did over the past. If there was anyone that I knew that could drop thought-provoking knowledge or just about anything Smash 4 Falco or the meta in general, I know I can always count on you. I know the boards have always been pretty quiet, but there are a few of us out here who still pay attention, because we know to always reach for the next step to achieving greatness with this blue bird we love so much.

Don't be a stranger!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Nearly two months later and it's still pretty quiet in here....

Playing Star Fox Zero has motivated me to pick up Falco again after a long while.

Top Bottom