• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Safe leadge/gimp coverage options

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Sooo, can we talk specifically about this without having it moved to the combos/string thread or gameplay disccution thread? ty

OK, i think one of the biggest problems we are having as falco players is to keep stage control and ledge coverage. For this thread i just wanna talk about leadge covering with falco, since we can get many kill if we choose the right move for the right wakeup and it also helps us keep stage control overall, with a move that cover many wakeups, for example charizards nair covers almost every option in fact i think it covers every option the opponents uses to get back on stage nair will punish that and reset his positioning. Unfortunately Falcos nair doesn’t work that way, it will sometimes wiff on neutral get up, but it is perfect for jump getups, also what are the moves that falco can use to 2 frame punish ppl on the edge when they are recovering. These are the kind of things i wanna talk about in this thread and i hope everyone can participate and fin this usefull. Im first gonna try and make a list of all the moves and what option those cover.

Bair: this is one of the best options i have found, this will kill and it will hit almost every character that does a neutral getup, it will also hit on the jump getup, this won’t hit on a roll getup but since its legless you can just follow you opponent in the air land where his roll get up ends and you grab, jab, uptitl almost anything and it should hit, i know falco bair doesn’t linger that much so you may sometimes misstime his get up and whiff you bair, in that case you just land close to the edge and do an uptilt or upsmash. also if they do a attack get up since you’re in the aire doing a bair, their atack most likely won’t hit you, so you can just land and ftilt him or something, and reset his position.

ftilt: this is great becaus its very long you will be relatively safe from ledge attacks i mean you could react and shield or trade but a leadge attack will hit you if you dont react, this cover neutral get up and rolls if your it at max distance, if you miss or whiff its ok cuz your still in a good position and they won’t be able to punish you, if you miss because they rolled in back on stage then you can turn around and upsmash i think i haven’t really tried this but i think there is enough time to punish the roll, and if they jump getup then follow their landing and uptilt or upsmash.

dtilt: this works almost like ftitl, but better cuz it can actually kill someone in around 130-150% if you hit them close to falcos body, and if it doesn’t kill it can combo into rar upair to bair, or an fair, which will most likely earn you a kill if they are at around 70-90% because they are on the ledge. Another cool thing dtilt, has it that sometimes it will hit enemies recovery in their 2 frame vulnerability, I’ve tested this a lot and it mostly works just on c falcon, and on certain angles on foxes and falcos upb, still need to test it on more characters tho. (dsmash if time correctly will always hit in the 2 frame but if you miss opponent will have enough time to punish you).

utilt: is good to cover neutral get up and jump get up, it can cover rolls but if they do a neutral get up i think they will have enough time to punish.

upsmash: havent really tried it but if you position yourself looking to the center of the stage and and just a bit away from the leadge i belive upsmash can cover jump getup, roll, and neutral get up, its kinda risky cuz if you miss they will have a lot of time too punish.

Dair: his can earn you an early kill if you time it right and they do a jump attack or jump in get up, but dont land on stage just finish the move outside the stage and get back in with a bair or something. dair can also cover neutral get up and attack getup. this is not the best move to use cuz if you miss or even sometimes if you get the hit it will leave you at a bad position or even get killed.

dsmash:like i mentioned earlier this can 2 frame punish a lot of character while recovering even mewtwo and sheik, but the timming its kind hard, if you miss youll get punished, if you dont it could earn you an early kill. depending on the timming you can cover almost every option with this.

nair: this move is pretty good cuz it lingers for quite a while but the hitbox is not has big has charizard so it will whiff sometimes on neutral get up and rolls, this move is better to cover jump get ups, and like backair, if they do and attack get in it wont hit you cauz your in the air so just land and hit them with the last hit of this move.

fair: this is one of his best moves for gimping, its pretty good for covering almost any get up but it laggs a lot on landing so if for example they roll behind you when you where triong to cover a netral get up or something then i think they will be able to punish you if your not fast.

So i think thats it for me, plz share what works for you and any suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I think jab is also a good tool for ledgeguarding.
The range and speed are just too good to overlook. Also it can put your opponent in that awkward position where they are in hitstun and can't grab the ledge without jumping or using an up b. If they do something dumb near ledge.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I think jab is also a good tool for ledgeguarding.
The range and speed are just too good to overlook. Also it can put your opponent in that awkward position where they are in hitstun and can't grab the ledge without jumping or using an up b. If they do something dumb near ledge.
Yeah forgot jab its very good, actually i hit a c. falcon in the 2 frame window with jab 1 onces, in battleflied when he was about to grab the edge.

Looking at this image i got from http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-hitbox-visualization.439050/ we can see that Falcos jab1 hitbox extend a little bit below his feet, so this could actually be a thing, at least in battlefield vs C. falcon, this could help set up for a fair or nair kills.
falco jab1.png

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
How can you time the dair? I've been trying to aqquire the timing, but it just seems so strange.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
How can you time the dair? I've been trying to aqquire the timing, but it just seems so strange.
Well it depends on when you think your opponent is gonna jump in from the leadge, for example when sheik is in that situation she has the option of jumping in the stage with an fair, if you read this you can earn the kill with dair spike. Also try not to land on the stage cuz youll suffer lots of laning lagg giving your enemy time to punish, what i do is dair and move just enough so i dont land on stage if the dair missed because of bad timing or other reasons then ill doble jump bair back on stage depending on where my enemy is positioned, if he did a neutral getup and my dair missed my bair will hit him or at least work as shield pressure.

Since dair has a lingering hitox its also usefull to catch ppl on the 2frame opening with a stage spike.

Top Bottom