• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Falco Patch History

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I did test on Fox, 1.1.3, upsmash kills Fox at 128%, in 1.1.4, upsmash kills Fox at 108%, no DI. (sweetspotted ofc)

Correct me if I am wrong, but Falco Usmash pre-patch did indeed took atleast 125%+ depending on certain characters to get a KO.
Could you please compare the run speeds too? People who have compared against other characters have said nothing's changed but if we have the option of direct comparison that would be great.

Great info as always Ffamran Ffamran , appreciate your insight!

So Fox boards were saying Falco's usmash equals theirs, is that true now? I ask this because reading the above post I thought Fox killed Mario a bit before 122% with his upsmash, perhaps my memory serves me wrong.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

So Fox boards were saying Falco's usmash equals theirs, is that true now? I ask this because reading the above post I thought Fox killed Mario a bit before 122% with his upsmash, perhaps my memory serves me wrong.
No? Pretty sure Fox's Up Smash kills at ~100% to Falco's ~120% on Mario. Right now, the only thing it really equals is that they both have I-frames during part of their Up Smash.

Edit: Forgot about this, patch 1.1.4 is now officially the Somersault Shell patch for Falco. Fox has his invincible, anti-air, and kill Guile Flash Kick and now Falco finally has I-frames to match Charlie Nash's 2-hit, anti-air Somersault Shell. Now all we need is a projectile like Sonic Boom.

Last edited:

Jeremi Tschiember

Smash Rookie
Could you please compare the run speeds too? People who have compared against other characters have said nothing's changed but if we have the option of direct comparison that would be great.

Fox Usmash kill Mario at 106% no rage, Falco Usmash kills Mario at 114% no rage. Just tested.

Its pretty close, but Fox still have the advantage of his sprint that makes his Usmash alot less predictable than Falco.

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Edit: Forgot about this, patch 1.1.4 is now officially the Somersault Shell patch for Falco. Fox has his invincible, anti-air, and kill Guile Flash Kick and now Falco finally has I-frames to match Charlie Nash's 2-hit, anti-air Somersault Shell. Now all we need is a projectile like Sonic Boom.
I can't believe that I never noticed this comparison lol

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I can't believe that I never noticed this comparison lol
I mention it all the time after I looked into Charlie Nash's appearance in SFV and the differences and then I noticed how his Somersault Shell looked similar to Falco's Up Smash... and then connected Guile's Flash Kick with Fox's Up Smash...
To me, Falco is based on or is the Charlie Nash of Smash, but the developers haven't "finished" the connection or fumbled about with it. Sonic Boom comes to mind as a type of projectile Falco could work with and it wouldn't be bad or overwhelming like his Melee Blaster or Brawl Blaster both of which auto-canceled. It's funny since his Melee Blaster sort of started out like that as a frame 23 on the ground and frame 13 projectile in the air with 35 recovery frames on the ground and 30 in the air. It's not "spectacular" compared to other fighting games, but compared to other projectiles in Smash 4, it would be a godsend to have recovery frames like that instead of 48 on the ground and 41 in the air. 35 on the ground would be equivalent to Mario's Fireball while 30 in the air would be just 1 frame off of Fox's Blaster recovery frames. The startup would balance out that it has hit stun, it has decent range, and it has fairly low recovery. Firing fast is great and all, but it's hurting Falco in terms of his Blaster being actually useful since unlike Fox, Falco doesn't need to fire fast for FFA to tag and steal kills since he causes hit stun which means their momentum dies and he could accidentally save them and in 1v1 to 2v2 and up, Falco's shooting fast, but he's taking way too long to recover when you factor in characters like Cloud and Ryu have similar recovery, but larger projectiles or even characters like Greninja, the Pits, and Samus who have lower recovery, but stronger projectiles. Also, firing fast while having low recovery on a projectile with hit stun, ability to continually fire, and range might not be something they want for anyone... Ignoring Sheik, Luigi's the only one that comes up and he has much shorter range. So, really, why not just up the startup? The total frames since Melee has not changed significantly for Falco's Blaster. Upping it would only make it safer in the long run.

Fox has Hyakuretsukyaku as his rapid jab since Smash 64. Smash 4 upgraded it to Hoyokusen with the rapid jab finisher. Difference is Fox kicks forward instead of up.

Smash is full of Street Fighter influences. Another one is (Dr.) Mario's Utilt which is basically a Shoryuken in motion - twisting uppercut - and through Super Jump Punch, Dr. Mario and Luigi have a single-hit Shoryuken and Mario has Ken's multi-hit Shoryuken. If we add customs, Dr. Mario's Ol' One-Two and Mario's Explosive Punch could be considered like a Shin Shoryuken or Shoryureppa because they hit twice, but the difference is they don't do 2 Shoryukens. People also liken Bowser to Zangief in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yeah just saw that U-Smash has leg intangibility. This is exactly the kind of change I wanted from that move, it gives Falco a much safer anti air now.

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
As an update: Falco's buffed Up Smash now hits opponents who are on the ledge and will stage spike them around 84 - 85%+ and if the jump off of the ledge.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
These changes to up smash has netted me so many easy and reliable KOs. I killed bayonetta at 94 with rage with up smash. I've played possibly 20+ bayonettas tonight lol. It feels really great to use a running up smash to punish a landing or using OOS.

Since it is intangible im going to test it against ZSS's dair and many others as an anti air.

Edit: Truly this makes me so happy. Gotta master the timing and whatnot but it feels good that i can land this https://youtu.be/TsOZyBZYoyA?t=12s

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Invincible up smash is a pretty fantastic change. I'm really happy for you guys! Run speed would have been nice, but hey, this is pretty awesome in its own way.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If people want visual proof that Falco's Up Smash makes his legs invincible, here it is from setsuna3234 (Twitter).

With its new lower hitbox, higher knockback growth, I-frames, and natural high active frames, Falco might want to start pulling (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, and Mr. Game & Watch Up Smash shenanigans. The only problem is that it has recovery unlike (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, and Mr. G&W's Up Smashes which have low recovery.

Edit: I never saw McDareth's post on it: https://twitter.com/McDareth/status/695838740728643584.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
The usmash buff is welcome, but it doesn't solve Falco's core problem, movement. Can't get anywhere in time to punish against a lot of the cast, especially the top tiers. I would've preferred a significant running speed buff over all else.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The usmash buff is welcome, but it doesn't solve Falco's core problem, movement. Can't get anywhere in time to punish against a lot of the cast, especially the top tiers. I would've preferred a significant running speed buff over all else.
I'd take both, well, mostly Up Smash's hitbox change and I-frames since it was kind of weird how he was the only one to not have I-frames like Fox, Kirby, Mii Brawler, and Yoshi or it being disjointed for Pikachu which wouldn't make sense, but it still the safety factor that was missing. That and the whole Guile-Fox and Charlie-Falco thing. Also, hitbox-wise, pretty sure all of theirs hit below waist level which finally, Falco's does since it matches the animation. Before, it was weak and not really safe unlike in previous games where it was weak, but safe since it was fast and had lower recovery. It still is fast, still has low recovery, but when Smash 4 was released, people fell out more easily, the hitbox was bad, it didn't work under platforms, and it was weak. The only redeeming things about it was that it was fast, it had high active frames, and it did 16% assuming it connected fully. The same could be said for Zelda's Up Smash and Side Smash at launch - they managed to break them after fixing them in Brawl - and to this day, Samus's Up Smash. Anyway, now, Falco's Up Smash is all of that and some more which might be an issue since it killing about 10% to 20% later and having much higher active frames than Fox's will probably bug people. They could always give Fox his Brawl Up Smash which had like no recovery. :p

For running speed, Falco should at the very least have a running speed of 1.5 instead of 1.472 because it was his Melee running speed and because being 0.028 off is really, really stupid. Falco running at Mario and Ryu's 1.6 would be pretty awesome while not being overwhelming since that's the average running speed in Smash 4 considering Mario's the average for everything... It's not that bad compared to say, Dr. Mario's running speed or Kirby's when you considered that Kirby's ground was below-average and air speed was low, but now his ground speed is just below Mario's while his air speed remains low since multiple jumps. Air speed-wise, I think it's fine only if this happens: higher air acceleration. High air speed on Falco might be too good since he has the highest jump and having high air speed would be really dumb considering his aerials are fast and most of them have high active frames unlike Greninja and ZSS who also have high jumps and high air speed, but their aerials last less or startup later. High air acceleration would be neat while limiting him to an air speed that wouldn't be stupid since right now, he's got average air speed and if we push him up to high air speed, he'd be Ike and Roy, but with good air acceleration or Greninja, but with fast aerials. So, something like Palutena or Pikachu who also have low air speed, but high air acceleration, 0.1 for Pally and 0.09 for Pikachu. Falco's low air speed of 0.0893 with an air acceleration of 0.1 would totally fine. He'd max out quickly, but still be in a slowish air speed rather than having slow air speed and reaching top air speed like most characters. Also, high air acceleration would just fit with Falco being a pilot, someone comfortable in the air and maneuvering in the air which when you think about it, doesn't make sense how the ace pilot not only has lower air speed, but also lower air acceleration than Fox who is a good pilot, but he's not the "ace" in-universe. Fox's air speed is 0.096 and air acceleration is 0.8.

Other moves-wise, totally be awesome if his jab wasn't a hit confirm for his opponents anymore. It's really stupid when you pick either full jab or jab mixup and still eat hard punishes from characters like Jigglypuff, Luigi, Ryu, and Yoshi while others like Captain Falcon, Fox, Lucina, Marth, and Roy can make it so you are at a deficit from trading what should be from a move that links properly. That's the biggest issue right now since having moves that don't function properly is worse than having moves that could be better.

Pell

Smash Rookie
NNID
KBwing
Fox Usmash kill Mario at 106% no rage, Falco Usmash kills Mario at 114% no rage. Just tested.

Its pretty close, but Fox still have the advantage of his sprint that makes his Usmash alot less predictable than Falco.
if you have 1.1.3 think you can test to see if Falco's up air got buffed (in terms of knockback)? I swear the more i play the more i'm convinced it did.

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
if you have 1.1.3 think you can test to see if Falco's up air got buffed (in terms of knockback)? I swear the more i play the more i'm convinced it did.
You might just be hitting the first hit of his Up Air. This is something I've noticed he could do in 1.1.3 (and probably could ever since his up air was changed in 1.0.8) which sends the opponent straight up and kills around 30% earlier then any other hit of Up Air from what I've seen.

Pell

Smash Rookie
NNID
KBwing
You might just be hitting the first hit of his Up Air. This is something I've noticed he could do in 1.1.3 (and probably could ever since his up air was changed in 1.0.8) which sends the opponent straight up and kills around 30% earlier then any other hit of Up Air from what I've seen.
ah ok thanks, should probably learn to do that consistently

Last edited:

CHIEf

Smash Rookie
The Usmash buffs are indeed wonderful. I'm using it all the time cause it's just a good option.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
I'm wondering if dthrow -> usmash might start becoming a good option on characters with really fast, annoying nairs (villager, yoshi, luigi, etc.). That would give a guaranteed followup at mid-percents will little risk of getting interrupted. The trade off would be the possibility of a string, but fast nairs dash that hope anyway.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently, Falco had 1 more frame of invincibility during trips while Fox and Kirby never had any I-frames during "hard trips"... I don't know why... It's not really a major nerf, so it's pretty much an indirect nerf like when Pikachu's ledge getup was shortened to match everyone's or an indirect buff like Yoshi's ledge attack gained I-frames or was sped up to match everyone's.
@TSM ZeRo
Sixriver found new changes about :4yoshi:, :4diddy:, :4tlink:, :4kirby:, :4fox:, :4falco:, :4charizard: and :4rob:.

1. :4yoshi:, :4diddy:, :4tlink:, :4falco:, :4charizard: and :4rob: had extra 1 frame invincibility when they get "soft trip" or "hard trip" and do "stand up", "forward roll" and "back roll" from trip in 1.1.3, but now all character's invincibility frames are exactly same.
  2. :4kirby:and:4fox: had no invincibility frames when they get hard trip in 1.1.3, but now they have 5 frames invincibility. Thus all characters have 5 frames now.
Here is the original Japanese spreadsheet made by Sixriver, have already updated.
And here is translated spreadsheet made by @Pikabunz in 1.1.3.

Oddly, soft/hard trip total frames seems unchanged.
Although all chars has 5 invincible frames, Bowser Jr and Pacman still has 45 total frames whereas DHD has only 38 frames when they get hard trip.

Of course, this information is free.
So, I guess that's it for the changes for Falco unless there's something else since this one didn't show up in the diff checker.

Edit: As of this post, changes to Falco are:
Code:
Falco
-----
Up Smash
first hit
     startup 8 -> 7
     partial leg? / feet? invincibility frames 7-11; 6 active I-frames (invincibility frames)
     hitboxes 0
          base knockback 60 -> 70
          knockback growth 25 -> 18
          position (1.5, 0, 0) -> (2, 0, 0)
     hitboxes 1
          base knockback 60 -> 70
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 80 -> 70
          knockback growth 30 -> 18
          position (5, 0, 0) -> (7.7, 0, 0)
     hitbox 2 (other)
          position (5, 0, 0) -> (7, 0, 0)
second hit
     hitbox 0
          base knockback 30 -> 31
          knockback growth 98 -> 104
     hitbox 1
          base knockback 30 -> 31
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 30 -> 31
Down Smash
     all hitboxes
          knockback growth 76 -> 78
Down Throw
     ability to stage spike Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Samus, and others at the ledge removed
          existed since Melee, but is potentially a bug and other characters with this such as Sheik may also be affected
Trip Actions
     "hard trip" and "soft trip"
          stand up, front roll, back roll I-frames 6 -> 5
          matches all other characters now

Last edited:

Tankendog

Smash Cadet
I hate to say it, but they the buffs Falco are great, but at what cost?

(Lets assume they continue to do balance patches (fingers crossed))

Falco now has a kit that is realllllllllly good on a per move basis. If falco got the movement speed fixes he needs (both in the air and running), he would be a powerhouse. Great off stage game, with an amazing on stage combo game? He would then really only be left with lag on laser, jab 2 into jab 3 being pretty meh, and a very punishable recovery.

Would you think those 3 draw backs are big enough to make him have counter play?

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7

Falco now has a kit that is realllllllllly good on a per move basis. If falco got the movement speed fixes he needs (both in the air and running), he would be a powerhouse. Great off stage game, with an amazing on stage combo game? He would then really only be left with lag on laser, jab 2 into jab 3 being pretty meh, and a very punishable recovery.

Would you think those 3 draw backs are big enough to make him have counter play?
I hear you but has any characters received any buffs in air speed? I haven't noticed if they are even considering that type of change for characters. I wouldn't know howd they implement that as well. I'd love this too and run speed would be amazing but I don't see them doing this if they already haven't to other characters.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I hear you but has any characters received any buffs in air speed? I haven't noticed if they are even considering that type of change for characters. I wouldn't know howd they implement that as well. I'd love this too and run speed would be amazing but I don't see them doing this if they already haven't to other characters.
Mewtwo says hi and Kirby as well iirc

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
OK cool but does that mean air speed buffs will only pertain to floatyish characters?
I honestly don't know. Mewtwo needed and Kirby can get in a little bit more. If falco gets it would be a walk and run speed increase that's what I think anyway.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Better to discuss that here: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/, instead of the patch thread.

Also, shameless plug: I feel like Falco shouldn't be the highest jumper out of the Star Fox crew; Wolf should and Falco should be the one with the highest air speed (and air acceleration). If you've got time, read this shamelessly promoted thread by me: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-curious-case-of-falco-lombardi-and-wolf-odonnell.431274/.

The run down is as of the current stats of the Star Fox characters, Falco is the slowest overall moving character and he only has high jump to back up everything. In terms of ground speed, it's Fox > Falco > Wolf -- barely as Wolf walks faster, but runs slightly slower at an already slow pace; air speed: Wolf > Fox > Falco -- Falco and Fox used to share air speeds, but Smash 4 broke this by giving Fox higher air speed; air acceleration: Fox >= Wolf? -- I don't think there was ever data for air acceleration in Brawl -- > Falco; and jump height: Falco > Fox > Wolf.

Fox dominates the ground, Wolf dominates the air, and Falco... Falco dominates platforming which outside of Subspace Emissary and Smash Run, is almost irrelevant when other high jumpers, with their Specials, Lightweight Palutena and Jump Art Kirby and Shulk, or by default, Greninja - second highest -, ZSS, and Rosalina not only have high jumps, but high ground speed, high air speed, and/or high air acceleration. Luigi is the third highest jumper tied with ZSS and while his air speed is lower than Falco's, he has a functioning projectile meaning he doesn't have to feel threatened when in mid-range where most of the neutral game is played. What are you going to do if you can't zone and can't run in? Greninja and ZSS do both, Fox, Palutena, and Jump or Speed Art Kirby and Shulk run in, and Luigi, Rosalina, and Wolf zone.

The other thing is that... from a character standpoint, there is almost no reason why a flight capable bird, a pheasant, has the slowest air speed, but a wolf has the highest. It also doesn't make sense why a wolf has the lowest jump while a bird has a the highest. Birds aren't frogs, pheasants aren't penguins which ironically, despite King Dedede's much lower air speed, the fact he can jump multiple times means it's almost like he can fly while Falco glides through molasses. Wolves aren't elephants nor are they turtles. Wolf shouldn't be the one with the lowest jump and lowest run speed; Falco should be as he's a bird and birds aren't exactly known for their jumps and ground speed. Falco should be the Star Fox character with the highest air speed, Wolf should have the highest jump, and if they want to keep Fox as the fastest runner, then at least have Wolf or whoever ends up with the high jump, have average stats in between and not just "I jump high" and that's it. Wolf having lower active frames on his aerials means it's less likely he can abuse them off-stage unlike Falco which probably is one major reason Falco can't have a high jump and high air speed or ground speed.

As sad as it is, Falco's stronger than Fox and Wolf. Tuned the wrong way as seen in Brawl where he his zoning game was ludicrous. Falco's pretty much the Akuma to Fox's Ken and Wolf's Ryu. He can't take hits, but he combos and hits hard while Fox, like Ken, is all about combos and Wolf, like Ryu, is all about playing neutral while hitting hard. If we tuned Falco as the average of the two, he'd basically have Mario-like stats while hitting like almost Ganondorf, comboing like Captain Falcon, and edgeguarding like Marth. That's really dangerous; he'd be a jack of all trades, master of all. But if we cripple his jump and give him the best air acceleration and high air speed, you keep him more grounded, literally. He can still edgeguard, but not a ridiculous degree if he had high air speed and jump and he wouldn't be able to vulture about like Rosalina does to practically everyone in the game with her and Luma's Uair and her stats. He will lose his notorious vertical combo game, but you can't tune him with high air speed when he hits so hard. Even Fox counts for that since if he had high air speed, his Uair would be even scarier and it's been scary since Smash 64. Wolf can work this; Wolf's aerials aren't that strong, but they're fast and can work in combos without being too strong.

Mewtwo says hi and Kirby as well iirc
Kirby, Lucario, and Mewtwo all got running and walking speed buffs, but only Lucario got air speed buffs and an increase to his fall speed - how this is viewed is up to people, that's why I said increase to and not buff. To this date, they are the only ones to have such changes as no one else has unless you count Roy since compared to Melee, he moves much faster while other characters such as Bowser, Fox, Ike, Mario, and Sheik sort of shifted back and forth a bit without much of a major impact, so while Mario is faster than in previous games, it's not like he jumped from average run speed to high run speed. Patch notes: http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-3-patch-notes.425921/.

Also, for those curious weight changes happened in both 1.1.3 - people didn't catch them until now - and 1.1.4 with Ganondorf, Kirby, Sheik, and ZSS all affected, but in really trivial ways since it was a +/- 1 to their weight unlike say Mewtwo going from lightweight around Falco and Melee Roy's weight to second lightest in the game. Patch notes: http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-4-patch-notes.430023/.

Edit: As of this post on March 2nd, 2016, changes to Falco are:
1.0.8. Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-final-content-1-1-4-patch-discussion.430033/page-25#post-20951720.
Patch version confirmed here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-final-content-1-1-4-patch-discussion.430033/page-25#post-20974025.
Code:
Falco
-----
Air Movement
     air acceleration 0.07 -> 0.09
     air speed 0.893 -> 0.93
Code:
Falco
-----
Up Smash
first hit
     startup 8 -> 7
     partial leg? / feet? invincibility frames 7-11; 6 active I-frames (invincibility frames)
     hitboxes 0
          base knockback 60 -> 70
     hitboxes 1
          base knockback 60 -> 70
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 80 -> 70
     hitbox 2 (other)
second hit
     hitbox 0
          base knockback 30 -> 31
     hitbox 1
          base knockback 30 -> 31
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 30 -> 31
Down Smash
     all hitboxes
Down Throw
     ability to stage spike Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Samus, and others at the ledge removed
          existed since Melee, but is potentially a bug and other characters with this such as Sheik may also be affected
Trip Actions

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not a new patch or anything, but an update for 1.1.4's patch changes, Furil's hitbox visualization thread for Falco confirms that Falco's Up Smash has invincibility throughout the move instead of 7-11 which kind of looked weird in some of the gifs and videos showing Falco's Up Smash invincibility and it happening during the second hit. sixriver noted this a while back in their frame data sheet for Falco. It's technically 7-20 for I-frames, but technically not as the invincibility shifts from his left leg to his right leg, so it's more like first hit, 7-12 I-frames, and second hit, 13-20 I-frames. sixriver used to note it as 7-20, but I guess they updated it to the 7-12, 13-20 I-frames. Link to sixriver's page on Falco: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CsgOKWHVREdoDwnB43BFU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0.

Full patch change for 1.1.4 would look like this then:
Code:
Falco
-----
Up Smash
first hit
     startup 8 -> 7
     leg invincibility frames 7-12; 6 active I-frames (invincibility frames)
     hitboxes 0
          base knockback 60 -> 70
     hitboxes 1
          base knockback 60 -> 70
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 80 -> 70
     hitbox 2 (other)
second hit
     leg invincibility frames 13-20; 8 active I-frames (invincibility frames)
     hitbox 0
          base knockback 30 -> 31
     hitbox 1
          base knockback 30 -> 31
     hitbox 2
          base knockback 30 -> 31
Down Smash
     all hitboxes
Down Throw
Trip Actions

Last edited:
Top Bottom